Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
I've just switched (1.5 12" PB, 1.256 RAM, 100 G HD) and I'm extremely happy, yet thoroughly in the dark.

I do a lot of running and rowing, and I've had one interation or another of the Nike PSA mp3 player since the line debuted about 4 years ago. For Christmas, I recieved the brand new PSA250.

Now, I know that an iPod Shuffle not only has more storage space, but is also smaller and cheaper. Obviously, it would also mate perfectly with my new PB. However, the supply of Shuffles leaves much to be desired, and I don't want to go tuneless for 5-7 weeks while I wait for it to arrive. I suppose I could sell the Nike, but I'd rather try to make it work with the PB than fool around with eBay.

Is there any way for me to download songs onto the Nike player from my PB? It's recognized as an external flash drive, and I can transfer mp3 files onto it, but they won't play. Am I encoding the mp3s incorrectly? Is there some trick that I'm completely oblivious to? Or is there just no hope?

Thanks in advance.

badhorsie777

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2003
Sometimes it's the most obvious thing that we don't notice - are you SURE that your "mp3's" are indeed in .mp3 format? iTunes might be set to use AAC format when ripping CD's, and if you've got a bunch of those, no doubt the nike will refuse to play.

If they are mp3's, then I'm not sure - you're just transferring data files (.mp3) onto a flash drive. I do this to exchange work (Windows) office files with home (apple) via a 128mb flash drive. I don't ever have a problem reading them on either.

-badhorsie777

Sox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
One of the first things I did was rip some of my CD's using iTunes. I set it up to import into AAC. To make the mp3s I used to test the Nike player, I took 2 of those AAC files and used to "convert selection to mp3" option from the drop menu.

Perhaps I need to convert to mp3 directly from the CD?

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
My girlfriend is going for the shuffle, it does not have a display the nike might have, but it is great, and with the arm strap, i gues it is ideal for running or rowing (don't think it's waterproof though :confused: ). we just haven't decided about the size.
but the nike might be cool. :p
if you can sell the nike for more than the price of a shuffle, i'd do it - except for maybe the maybe waterproof thingy, maybe

If there is specific software (prolly for win only) to load the nike player it would maybe put the files in a specific folder.
You should try to find out that folder's name, sherlock :cool: . i think :eek:

Good luck!

badhorsie777

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2003
somebody help me out here - if Sox converts aac's to mp3, is there a file extension appended? That could be an issue...

Sox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
Had I not already owned the Nike, I probably would have already invested in the Shuffle. Neither is waterproof - for indoor rowing only. I wouldn't take my car keys out in a boat, let alone any electronics.

The Nike is cool. Very cool. But I'm extremely biased. I'm fanatical about Nike products like Mac owners are about Macs.

The mp3s are installed using Musicmatch Jukebox or the Philips Digital Music Manager (user's choice). The music is installed into the "Data" file, which is the file that I drag-and-dropped my iTunes mp3s into.

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Unfortunately, I think you are out of luck. One of my friends got a Philips Hard drive player and he wanted me to help him get set up (he has a Windows PC). I looked at what software came with the player and was saddened. The only way to transfer music to his music player was to use Philips's DMM (Digital Music Management) software. All is does is transfer music to the player. That's it. Doesn't copy cds, doesn't play music, just copies the music to the player. I tried WPM, MusicMatch, and even iTunes to see if they could be used with the player. None could transfer music. I tried hooking the player up to my PB and still had no luck with iTunes. After an unsuccessful search on Philips website (which is poorly designed) and several Google searches, I came up with no answer.

In short, i don't think there is a way to copy music from a Mac to a Philips MP3 player (including the Nike), unless you use VPC and Philips crappy DMM software

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
As long as the Files are MP3, sometimes the player will work. I had a RIO500 that when I plugged it in, I could send files to it using iTunes. As for the Nike new player, I don't know if it will work. Again, you would have to buy it first and test it out. You can buy cases that keep the iPod Shuffle from getting a little wet, but not submerged. So that might protect it from possible splashes while rowing.

Sox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
Thanks for the replies, guys. I will fiddle with it some more when I get home from work and report back.

Any other suggestions?

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
Sox said:
Any other suggestions?
Just one other maybe. Could be the bitrate,
maybe your files are in a higher than maximum supported bitrate.
i'm sure someone @ macrumors holds the answer . . .

Cheers

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
The best analogy I can give you is this: Transfering music to a Philips mp3 player is like transfering music to an iPod. You have to use software that tells the player that the music is there. I think the Philips player are database based like the iPod.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Yep, there's likely a (hidden?) file on the player that tells it where the songs are. Either that or they have to have specific names (file0001.mp3, file0002.mp3 etc.)

spinthelights

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2005
The Western Part, MT
Sox, sorry if this is a bit late - and if you've already figured your problem out. You may want to try a few things....

The PSAs don't have a database music file or anything you need to muck with, but occationally the player gets confused for reasons I have never comprehended. Sometimes a few weeks of inactivity or a hard crunch has given me fits. This always works for me:

On the install CD, run the "Format" program and wipe the memory. That sometimes alone does the trick. If you're still showing "No File", go to the Nike site, choose your player, follow the support link and d/l the newest firmware. Using the "Upgrade" program, put the new firmware file on the drive. I've a PSA256 Jordan and the file just stays on the player at all times. After that, it should work just fine!

Good luck.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
The procedure

I once used a Kodak MP3 player and it too was very particular about the files it played.

The first thing to do with your MP3 files is to name them with eight characters plus the dot and the MP3 extension. Make them all capitals too. For example, the file named 1-15 Stairway To Heaven.mp3 should be changed to 115STAIR.MP3 in the Finder or with a utility called ID3X. Look it up in the following web site.
http://www.versiontracker.com

Once that is done, select the tracks in iTunes and by right-clicking or selecting from the Advanced menu, convert their ID3 Tags to something that is compatible with your player. Experiment with the different ID3 tags to see which one works best.

Finally, you have to transfer the files to the player but drag and dropping from the Finder will result in unwanted alias files mixed with the files you want there. There is a utility just for this task called KopyMac and you can download it from the following link.
http://www.tcsn.net/mont/index2.html

Needless to say, an iPod Shuffle would save you all this trouble and give you more storage.

spinthelights

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2005
The Western Part, MT
As far as I can tell, the only file naming guideline the PSAs require is standard FAT conventions - ie, none of the extra characters that trip Windows up. I've never had a problem with filenames, but all of my files were originally named on a Win machine, so I haven't had to deal with the name changes. My filenames are similar to: 01 - Death Cab for Cutie - Information Travels Faster.mp3, for example. Great link btw Sol, that may be a big help in the future!

Also my PSA seems to handle IDv2 and v1 tags fine, but again, I have a different model.

BTW, nothing wrong with your choice on the Nike, they have a lot of great features out of the box, and shed water/sweat really well. Does the PSA 250 have the remote waistband?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.