PDA

View Full Version : Java development in Lion..

tjanuranus
Feb 26, 2011, 06:44 PM
I'm a CS student and i'm currently in a java course. I use eclipse. Is it possible to use Eclipse with this release and run a java app?

scmaster53
Feb 26, 2011, 07:10 PM
I'm a CS student and i'm currently in a java course. I use eclipse. Is it possible to use Eclipse with this release and run a java app?

I'm a CS major and do most coding in Java/C++. In Lion simply go to your utilities folder and click on the Java utility. From there you can tell it to download the Java SE 6 SDK. Then download and use Eclipse.

WARNING: I have not tried Eclipse in Lion as of right now. It may not work or have issues/bugs under Lion. Use at your own risk.

tjanuranus
Feb 26, 2011, 07:30 PM
ok thanks! then what's with all the talk about Java being deprecated?

Dranix
Feb 26, 2011, 07:30 PM
From my short test Eclipse works fine.

scmaster53
Feb 26, 2011, 07:31 PM

The talk is about how Java is no longer included out of the box with OS X. In Snow Leopard and previous Java was built right in. Now you have to download it yourself. At least Apple makes a nice utility that installs Java with the ease of about two clicks :D

Dranix
Feb 26, 2011, 07:32 PM

It simply means that Apple hat stopped to port newer version of Java. Java7 will come from the OpenJDK-project.

PurrBall
Feb 26, 2011, 08:06 PM
Eclipse Helios is working fine for me on Lion, haven't tried any of the other versions.

tjanuranus
Feb 26, 2011, 09:15 PM
do i have install the apple one or can i just install the eclipse one?