Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hildron101010

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
Hello fellow Mac users,
I am very impressed with Lion so far, however, I am wondering how the full screen apps work with dual screens. Has any one tried it? Does it show the full screen app on one monitor and the desktop on the other, or what? Can someone tell me what their experience was because I am not able to get a DP download for awhile. Thanks in advance.

:apple: rocks!

Dewroo

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
Tilton, NH.
I have an issue here. the full screen app does not really allow for use of the second screen, and it only takes up the primary monitor.

Hildron101010

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
Oh Dear

That's what I feared. Hopefully they fix this up in the final release. But I guess it makes sense since you're supposed to be focused on the full content itself.

Hildron101010

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
QuickTime Fullscreen

When you go fullscreen in QuickTime, does it move to another "Space" as well? I usually like watching a movie fullscreen on one monitor while I work on another. But also, they might change the functionality when the final release comes along.

Dewroo

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
Tilton, NH.
Well, not that i think about, it makes sense because when you make an app full screen, it creates a new space for that app. you can't use the other monitor because that "Backround" is on it.

something apple should address, but i can't really see a way around it without them abandoning the spaces part of the full screen apps.

Hildron101010

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
We'll See

We'll see what happens.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
iTunes Movie Fix

There is a fix for iTunes Quicktime Fullscreen.

Workaround: iTunes Video and Dual Screens

1. Install Quicktime 7

2. Use this dualscreen.scpt (place it in ~/Library/iTunes/Scripts folder)

3. Create a shortcut in iTunes to invoke the script
"System Preferences" -> "Keyboard" -> "Keyboard Shortcuts"
Select "Application Shortcuts" in the left hand column, then click on the +
sign, add "iTunes" then give it a name such as "dual screen", then a keyboard shortcut of your choosing.

4. In iTunes, select the movie/video and use the keyboard shortcut to open it.

NOTE: Make certain you have Quicktime 7 installed in your Utilities folder! If not you can download it or grab it from another OS X partition if you have one (or perhaps it is installable with the OS X DVD)

dino7777

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2011
There is a fix for iTunes Quicktime Fullscreen.

You can get this easier, i.e. that iTunes full screen playback, does not black the secondary screens.
1. in iTunes prefs set Videos to Play in Separate Windows
2. (grab the playback window to any screen you desire) Right click and select "Fit to Screen"

thats easy but it took me some time to discover. Apple should make this more intuitive.

BACK TO MAIN THREAD ISSUE

I too like the new full display/screen feature in Lion.
But Apple has to find a way to make this feature able to use secondary displays too!!!

elmancho

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2008
Paris, France
I'd like to be able to have a pdf open on my second monitor while working in Xcode, unfortunately fullscreen apps "disable" the second monitor leaving a black background.

Hope apple fixes this ASAP!

dino7777

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2011
I'd like to be able to have a pdf open on my second monitor while working in Xcode, unfortunately fullscreen apps "disable" the second monitor leaving a black background.

Hope apple fixes this ASAP!

I have posted similar posting. By now i.e. preview 3 only main display is usable in so called full screen mode. No way to make use of any secondary displays!
If Apple keeps the full-screen feature this way, it must be renamed to notebook-mode.

Many people who make their living with programming, design, etc. use and need multiple displays.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I'd love to be able to full screen an app on my secondary monitor while continuing to work on other things on the first.

For stuff like Aperture this would be amazing.

I'm not a dev so my word doesn't mean anything, but devs, PLEASE pester Apple about this. Full screen apps are pretty useless on any multihead setup if they just black out the other head and don't let you use it for anything!

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Interesting, how would Spaces work with 2 monitors? Actually, how does that work in Snow Leopard? Do you have one giant space spread across 2 monitors?

amorya

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
I'm not a dev so my word doesn't mean anything, but devs, PLEASE pester Apple about this. Full screen apps are pretty useless on any multihead setup if they just black out the other head and don't let you use it for anything!

Filed bug 9373934.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
This is definitely a must. I have a 13" Macbook plugged into a 24" monitor. I would like to be able to full screen the built in display since it's smaller and use the large display for everything else.

djrod

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
Madrid - Spain
Interesting, how would Spaces work with 2 monitors? Actually, how does that work in Snow Leopard? Do you have one giant space spread across 2 monitors?

In Snow leopard you have an space for each monitor, example:

1 iMac with 3 spaces = 3 spaces
1 iMac with 3 spaces + an external monitor = 6 spaces

funkahdafi

Suspended
Mar 16, 2009
Planet Earth
In Snow leopard you have an space for each monitor, example:

1 iMac with 3 spaces = 3 spaces
1 iMac with 3 spaces + an external monitor = 6 spaces

that's just not true.

if you have dual-monitor, the space for that monitor is "tucked" to the space of the main monitor.

so 4 spaces with 2 monitors are still 4 spaces.

check this out:
Screen%20shot%202011-05-21%20at%2014.04.29.png

that's my desktop. I have 2 monitors and 4 spaces.

Last edited by a moderator:

dino7777

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2011
If Apple really leaves "full screen" at it is, i.e. secondary displays stay unused,
I will NOT UPGRADE TO LION !!!

TIP!!!

You can set any (cocoa) application to so called "Presentation Mode", i.e. menu bar and dock are hidden and the app can use the whole display.
Just add a item named "Application UI Presentation Mode" to the apps Info.plist and set its value to 4, "All suppressed". The Info.plist is usually in placed in the content of an app (Show Packege Content ...).

Than you can push the app to any display you like and if you set it to maximize, the menu bar and the dock disappear.

There is also some great freeware, if you are to lazy changing plists.

MenuLess
http://mac.softpedia.com/get/System-Utilities/Menuless.shtml

Last edited:

Xtasy171

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2012
could you just go standard def like me?

Guys, I'm simply setting iTunes to view all movies in SD. It plays full screen on my external monitor just fine. It just won't let you play HD content on the external. Now I'm sure that's the only thing you want but if you are like me, I am fine with SD on my external monitor :)

iTunes -> Preferences -> Playback -> (checkbox) Play videos using standard definition version.

Works like a charm. it's not HD, but it's still on my external monitor :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.