PDA

View Full Version : Downgrade from 10.7 (Lion) back to 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

PSpfano
Feb 26, 2011, 11:44 PM
I have the 10.7 beta running on my iMac, and it has too many bugs so I want to go back to 10.6. If I do this will it work, and will it erase everything if I do downgrade?

Maclver
Feb 26, 2011, 11:45 PM
I have the 10.7 beta running on my iMac, and it has too many bugs so I want to go back to 10.6. If I do this will it work, and will it erase everything if I do downgrade?

I don't think you can downgrade? thats why they say don't install on a main system? Best option will be to do a clean install anyways that way you ensure you get all the lion stuff off..

GimmeSlack12
Feb 26, 2011, 11:50 PM

Time Machine restore?

Man oh man, why are people installing the beta 10.7? What an unnecessary headache.

simsaladimbamba
Feb 26, 2011, 11:58 PM
Time Machine restore?

Man oh man, why are people installing the beta 10.7? What an unnecessary headache.

Because that is the closest one can get to a pre-release product by Apple.

I did so too, but I properly prepared my Mac for it. I took it into my arm, asked the cat to take a stern look at the dog, which the dog doesn't like and which results in it peeing all over the place (what can you do, Dobermans are not the best puppies as it seems), during which I clean the HDD of all the unnecessary stuff like Solitaire and Minesweeper, get ahold of my fresh new Psystar laptop, contact Apple Resale Management and ask for a proper replacement of my former PowerMac G3, which I then absolutely not get, so I have to take matters in my own hand and call Lisa over and the Ballmer sweats like he was peed onto and asks for a nice cup of copy paper.
I give him three, just so he is covered and then I install Lion onto my existing, not backed up and only working work Mac OS X installation and **** it all up. Again, the cat has to be punished and Lisa takes the dog, that other one, though a comparison is a ....

GimmeSlack12
Feb 27, 2011, 12:04 AM
Because that is the closest one can get to a pre-release product by Apple.

I did so too, but I properly prepared my Mac for it. I took it into my arm, asked the cat blah blah blah blah blah blah..... [didn't read].

Not to sound like a complete moral compass, but isn't "pre" release generally a tip off that it isn't likely to play nice with your daily computing usage?

Do what you want, it's your computer, and I've been in your shoes before so maybe that's why I'm talking like you should know better. Anyway, good luck on the fix but if anything, wipe your HDD and then Time Machine restore. If you don't have a TM backup then get creative my friend.

simsaladimbamba
Feb 27, 2011, 12:11 AM
Not to sound like a complete moral compass, but isn't "pre" release generally a tip off that it isn't likely to play nice with your daily computing usage?

Do what you want, it's your computer, and I've been in your shoes before so maybe that's why I'm talking like you should know better. Anyway, good luck on the fix but if anything, wipe your HDD and then Time Machine restore. If you don't have a TM backup then get creative my friend.

I know that. Others know that too. And in turn others don't know.
Let them play with it, some will take proper precautions, like a separate partition (I did) and some will not. The latter will have learnt something. Hopefully.
Many people download the Windows 7 beta and did the same.
It's curiosity that killed that cat, though it lets it flourish this time I guess.

Anyway, off to restoring my work ... ;)

epomqo
Feb 27, 2011, 09:13 AM
Can't we just insert the SL installation disk and do the re-installation?

roadbloc
Feb 27, 2011, 09:26 AM
This is exactly why I think it's stupid that people (non-devs) paying 99 for an early copy of Lion. I wouldn't install it on my main system even if it was free, never mind paying 99 for the pleasure.

PSpfano
Feb 27, 2011, 03:34 PM
Actually, I put the SL install disk into my mac and installed that way and it worked perfectly. I didn't need to restore from a Time Machine backup. Thanks for the replies.

mikefla
Feb 27, 2011, 04:13 PM
Actually, I put the SL install disk into my mac and installed that way and it worked perfectly. I didn't need to restore from a Time Machine backup. Thanks for the replies.

But when you did this, didn't you end up loosing all your data? Or after you installed you had a backup and simply restored?

-Mike

epomqo
Feb 27, 2011, 05:57 PM
How did you proceed exactly? It seems that Lion doesn't allow a SL installation DVD to do anything. Did you erase Lion at first? Then how could you still keep all the data without using a Time Machine backup?

Thekolton
Feb 27, 2011, 06:00 PM
I had the same issue i tried using the retail copy of sl but it does not work i found the only way to downgrade is to use the disks that came with your mac .:apple::apple::apple::apple:

epomqo
Feb 27, 2011, 06:06 PM
I had the same issue i tried using the retail copy of sl but it does not work i found the only way to downgrade is to use the disks that came with your mac .:apple::apple::apple::apple:

confused... the disk that came with the mac would work? I have a SL installation DVD which came with my MBP, but it didn't work. How did you do it?

Macmini2010
Feb 27, 2011, 07:55 PM

Did you lose everything when reinstalling from the disk? What options did you choose?

Macmini2010
Feb 27, 2011, 08:14 PM

Did you lose everything? What options did you choose to reinstall?

epomqo
Feb 28, 2011, 09:39 AM
confused... the disk that came with the mac would work? I have a SL installation DVD which came with my MBP, but it didn't work. How did you do it?

In fact that disk would work... Hold C when restarting the computer and it will bring you to the installation of SL. However, does normal re-installation keep all data and settings?

mikefla
Feb 28, 2011, 09:48 AM
In fact that disk would work... Hold C when restarting the computer and it will bring you to the installation of SL. However, does normal re-installation keep all data and settings?

I was wondering the same thing, will all your data/apps remain intact if you re-install SL?

-Mike

davtomcol
Feb 28, 2011, 12:01 PM
I am very interested as well. I have a 11" MBA, and I want to revert from Lion to SL.

jeznav
Feb 28, 2011, 01:45 PM
You can always restore Mac OS X on top of an existing one as it only replaces System and Library folders and not your User folder which contains all your settings.

If you insert your Snow Leopard Installation disk and click on your hard drive that contains your current OS, it will notify you that it will be a 'Restore' installation.

mikefla
Feb 28, 2011, 02:07 PM
You can always restore Mac OS X on top of an existing one as it only replaces System and Library folders and not your User folder which contains all your settings.

If you insert your Snow Leopard Installation disk and click on your hard drive that contains your current OS, it will notify you that it will be a 'Restore' installation.

Really, that would be awesome! Anybody try this?

-Mike

zorinlynx
Feb 28, 2011, 02:34 PM
Roll back to the last Time Machine backup that occurred before you installed 10.7.

(This should be common sense right?)

Remember to back up anything you've created or saved since then, since you'll lose those changes too.

Good luck!

epomqo
Feb 28, 2011, 07:16 PM

To confirm: just insert the SL disk and hold C to enter installation, then proceed normally. You have have SL reinstalled without losing any of your data.

PS: My login password was somehow lost. I reset it in the installation mode (there is an option in the top menu when you try to start reinstallation).

epomqo
Feb 28, 2011, 07:17 PM

To confirm: just insert the SL disk and hold C to enter installation, then proceed normally. You have have SL reinstalled without losing any of your data.

PS: My login password was somehow lost. I reset it in the installation mode (there is an option in the top menu when you are installing from the SL DVD).

poordecision
Mar 1, 2011, 09:00 AM
I tried booting SL from the DVD, and three other SL images from a flash-drive and an external HDD. It just hangs on the gray screen.

I am beginning to believe that one cannot install an OSX version older than the computer, as was previously said. This MacBook was made in July 2010.

To make things worse, it's a work computer. So dumb...I just wasn't thinking. I'd like not to get IT involved. Either way, if I has nothing to lose, (I'll back up) how would even IT get SL back on this machine? I can start SL after boot or boot from it. Rest SMC and PRAM. Can I format the drive some other way? In other word, what are the emergency procedures? Is it just finding the most recent SL image?

tourada
Mar 1, 2011, 09:06 AM
I am beginning to believe that one cannot install an OSX version older than the computer, as was previously said. This MacBook was made in July 2010.

If you paid for the ADC membership, just grab the dmg of 10.6.6. Being the latest version of snow leopard, it is for sure newer than your macbook.

elrock
Mar 1, 2011, 11:30 AM
I experienced major problems downgrading -- for some reason SL couldn't be reinstalled, and Lion reported that my Time Machine backup file couldn't be verified, so it wanted to create a new backup file from scratch. :eek:

I discovered that if you hold down the Option key while rebooting your computer, a startup option called "Recovery HD" appears. Click on that and you can restore from a Time Machine backup, even if Lion thinks it's a bad file. You don't even need the SL installation disks. (Just make sure to copy beforehand any files you've created or modified since you installed Lion, because you will lose them when you restore to SL.)

Glad to be back with SL. Lion looks promising, but it's still a little too buggy for my taste.

Jason S.
Mar 1, 2011, 12:04 PM
I discovered that if you hold down the Option key while rebooting your computer, a startup option called "Recovery HD" appears. Click on that and you can restore from a Time Machine backup, even if Lion thinks it's a bad file. You don't even need the SL installation disks. (Just make sure to copy beforehand any files you've created or modified since you installed Lion, because you will lose them when you restore to SL.)

The "Recovery HD" partition is actually created by Lion when you install it. So if you want a totally fresh Lion-free installation, you'll have to reformat your entire hard-drive to remove that partition as well.

lazyshah85
Mar 1, 2011, 04:27 PM
The "Recovery HD" partition is actually created by Lion when you install it. So if you want a totally fresh Lion-free installation, you'll have to reformat your entire hard-drive to remove that partition as well.

Where is the recovery partition? When I hold the option key during boot all i see if my Bootcamp and my Lion Partition I don't see a recovery partition on there. I want to go back to 10.6 and I have time machine backup but I don't know how to go back. I tried the SL disc on boot and that just got stuck at grey screen. Do I need to use migration assistant?

themacboy
Mar 1, 2011, 09:43 PM
i have tried booting from the disc on startup (with the ctrl+c) and it works, but when it asks which hard drive to install on, it says i can't install on Macintosh HD because a newer version of 'Mac OS X Installer' is required. weird.

cinziotico
Mar 2, 2011, 08:05 AM
I followed the procedure that you have described, but it tells me: "Impossible installing Mac OS X on this computer" ...

I have a 10.6.6 Mac OS X disc restore! Why??

karolynaz
Mar 30, 2011, 03:34 PM
1) Boot into OS X Lion
2) Insert your OS X Snow Leopard DVD
3) Applications / System Preferences / Startup Disk
4) Click your Snow Leopard DVD in the list and click Restart. Your Mac will now reboot fully to the installer, erase the partition and install!

jackhdev
Apr 9, 2011, 03:29 AM
Hey guys,

I downgraded to SL by inserting the Mac OS X SL install disc into my MacBook Pro, holding down Option when I started my computer, and installed it. Nothing was lost, but this became a big problem. Install of plain old Snow Leopard, I had a hybrid version of both Snow Leopard and Lion. Mail had some features of SL and Lion, it kept the frameworks from Lion so Final Cut and Aperture wouldn't open (didn't really look through all of my programs), and none of my plugins worked in Safari, including Flash even after I reinstalled it. I then tried wiping and restoring from Time Capsule and while this fixed the hybrid problem, I am still experiencing problems opening up some programs due to frameworks issues.

dtxman97
Apr 13, 2011, 06:02 PM
Hey guys,

I downgraded to SL by inserting the Mac OS X SL install disc into my MacBook Pro, holding down Option when I started my computer, and installed it. Nothing was lost, but this became a big problem. Install of plain old Snow Leopard, I had a hybrid version of both Snow Leopard and Lion. Mail had some features of SL and Lion, it kept the frameworks from Lion so Final Cut and Aperture wouldn't open (didn't really look through all of my programs), and none of my plugins worked in Safari, including Flash even after I reinstalled it. I then tried wiping and restoring from Time Capsule and while this fixed the hybrid problem, I am still experiencing problems opening up some programs due to frameworks issues.
I had similar problems when I downgraded. The bad news is that in order to fix the Final Cut and Aperture problems is to install an older version or wait for a new version to upgrade. Happened to me with iPhoto and Garageband too. Also, do you have Safari 5.0.4? That's where the plugin problems started for me.

antmarobel
Apr 24, 2011, 07:16 PM
Can someone confirm it please?...
I've tried to install Snow Leopard today ( I've created another partition through Disk Utility to install it ), but I couldn't install just because the media runs, runs, runs and runs and nothing, but the apple logo, happens! I'm quite sure that there's nothing wrong with the media...I'm using Lions last version.

TaylorWhite
May 12, 2011, 10:05 AM
I just posted a video yesterday on how to downgrade from Lion to Snow Leopard without losing any data. It's a bit lengthy, but check it out if you need to know how to do it AND have the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaDMbmsRqkQ

Let me apologize for the horrid audio quality ahead of time; I used Quicktime to screen cap because ScreenFlow isn't compatible with Lion. The audio will get better throughout the video.

OrganisedChaos
Jun 5, 2011, 07:01 PM
Just wanted to share my problem (a big one)... tried reverting back from Lion to Snow Leopard by doing the boot from SL and re-installing SL.... big idiotic mistake lol!! I now have a mongrel that won't let me login using my own credentials, so I tried going in as a "Guest" to my own system in order to partition the drive and do what Taylor was saying in his video. It won't let me do that because it is not accepting the administrator password (which was set by me), so I am now at a total loss what to do. All I have is the Snow Leopard disc and no other disc. Have I completely jammed this thing up now, it definitely feels like it!? How do you go back to SL if you have turned the system into a mix of SL AND Lion and cannot partition the drive because of keychain issues??!!

bluecooper53
Jun 14, 2011, 06:48 AM
Hey all. Same problem here with SL not wanting to install on a partition on a Lion machine. Any solutions to that issue anyone?

Have all files backed up so no worries if a reinstall deletes everything. But I can't reinstall. Just get the grey apple logo screen :(

sbishop1902
Jun 19, 2011, 02:27 PM
I installed the latest OSX Lion beta, had a few problems with programs not quiting properly, so i decided to roll back to snow leopard.

I have had no issues when doing this. Here is how I did it.

Put Snow Leopard disk in and restarted, held c to boot from CD. When it loaded i just followed the install steps. This took slightly longer than normal but once it was complete it booted straight into Snow Leopard. My only issue was iTunes would not open as i had 10.5 installed when using Lion and snow leopard reinstalled 10.3.

I upgraded iTunes and this then enabled me to open my itunes library again.

I had not lost any of my files and all my settings are the same as they were on Lion.

sbishop1902
Jun 19, 2011, 02:56 PM
Just wanted to share my problem (a big one)... tried reverting back from Lion to Snow Leopard by doing the boot from SL and re-installing SL.... big idiotic mistake lol!! I now have a mongrel that won't let me login using my own credentials, so I tried going in as a "Guest" to my own system in order to partition the drive and do what Taylor was saying in his video. It won't let me do that because it is not accepting the administrator password (which was set by me), so I am now at a total loss what to do. All I have is the Snow Leopard disc and no other disc. Have I completely jammed this thing up now, it definitely feels like it!? How do you go back to SL if you have turned the system into a mix of SL AND Lion and cannot partition the drive because of keychain issues??!!

There is a very easy fix for this and that is to insert your SL install disc, hold down c when you start your computer. Once its loaded go to Utilities at the top then select reset password. Select your account and change the password, it can be the same as it was before. Once you have changed this just restart and you will be able to log in again. You should also find you havent lost any of your old files.

Mack Daddy
Aug 10, 2011, 02:27 AM
Hey Guys

Tried to downgrade to Slow Leopard on an iMac and had no success

booting off the retail SL CD gives you a grey screen of death with some error about CPU family not supported

also tried running the SL CD from Lion which gave me a rather funny error about needing OS version 23.1? I need to screenshot this error it was quite funny.

I called apple and they said there was no way.

Blue Sun
Aug 10, 2011, 05:32 AM
Hey Guys

Tried to downgrade to Slow Leopard on an iMac and had no success

booting off the retail SL CD gives you a grey screen of death with some error about CPU family not supported

also tried running the SL CD from Lion which gave me a rather funny error about needing OS version 23.1? I need to screenshot this error it was quite funny.

I called apple and they said there was no way.

How old is your iMac?

Have you tried using your original OS disks that came with your iMac?

Mack Daddy
Aug 10, 2011, 05:16 PM
How old is your iMac?

Have you tried using your original OS disks that came with your iMac?

sorry, it's brand new came with Lion pre-installed (they didn't even warn me it would have Lion on it!)

I also tried a grey disk from another newish iMac which didn't work

Blue Sun
Aug 10, 2011, 05:41 PM
Not sure what you can do then.

If you've already tried the OS disks that came with the same spec iMac as yours, but purchased pre-Lion, then you're most likely stuck with 10.7.

Don't worry, it will improve, it just needs some time.

maske
Aug 19, 2011, 11:25 PM
All the New Mac you bought right now is associated with the OS Lion and the hardware itself prevents you to install a earlier OS system.

But you guys may try this (thought I didn't tried this yet): http://www.zdnet.com/blog/government/how-to-install-snow-leopard-on-a-brand-new-lion-based-mac/10652

ChezProvence
Aug 20, 2011, 07:47 AM
Downgrading worked great ... almost.

I created a Time Machine Backup, booted off install disk, reformatted drive, installed SL, and restored from Time Machine. When the machine rebooted, I was back to SL, but it would not let me log in - didn't accept my single space as the password. Anyone know if Lion was using a different keyboard character for a [space]?

flabbergast
Aug 20, 2011, 08:55 AM
I see that others want the same thing that I do, getting my completely workable Snow Leopard back. I have always like Leopards better then Lions anyway, that should have been a clue. As some of the posts are saying they dont know if there files will work with the reload of Snow Leopard, I have read that they will not.

I personally have tried to use logic and reinstall Snow Leopard from Cd and got a message saying that I could not go back.

ChezProvence
Aug 20, 2011, 10:46 AM
I had the same message - you need to reformat your disk.

Once I did that, SN installed, but the password was lost - I had to use the "Reset Password" utility on the Install disk, and then reinstall SN again, but it is now working and applications that require Rosetta now work again.

I love Macs - hate Lion.