PDA

View Full Version : Airport

tourada
Feb 27, 2011, 12:40 PM
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that "airport" has been renamed to Wi-Fi?

celticpride678
Feb 27, 2011, 12:41 PM
I noticed. Good move by Apple. Why "AirPort"?

tourada
Feb 27, 2011, 12:45 PM
I think that it is just another small feature in Lion that shows Apple is moving more mainstream. I think they are trying to hook new users and changing terms like "airport" to a more recognizable "wi-fi" is one way to make the transition easier.

Steve Ballmer
Feb 27, 2011, 12:49 PM
They are still using AirPort elsewhere, though. Either change everything to "Wi-Fi" or stick with AirPort.

tourada
Feb 27, 2011, 12:51 PM
Lion still offers Airport Utility for their own devices. However, looks like they have removed just the name "AirPort" for wi-fi access. I agree, stick with Airport or remove it altogether.

rorschach
Feb 27, 2011, 01:53 PM
Lion still offers Airport Utility for their own devices. However, looks like they have removed just the name "AirPort" for wi-fi access. I agree, stick with Airport or remove it altogether.

I think the idea is that AirPort will be used only when referring specifically to the AirPort Base Station while Wi-Fi will be used for any wifi connection. AirPort Utility configures the AirPort Base Station so it doesn't make sense to change that.

celticpride678
Feb 27, 2011, 03:27 PM
They are still using AirPort elsewhere, though. Either change everything to "Wi-Fi" or stick with AirPort.

Where are they still using "AirPort"

tourada
Feb 28, 2011, 08:38 AM
I'm guessing he was referring to "AirPort Utility". That is the only reference I see in Lion to airport.