Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cootersgarage6

Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
So there are so many things coming out with Lion, and they have ONLY showed some of the features.. there are so many cool things that now I can't even show my family and friends that are thinking about switching to Macs.. theres to much stuff! Lol.
There are all the new features and perks that have been showed to faar
Signatures
iPad Mail
App pages and folders
Enter another Mac throughout Mobile Me
Airdrop
Full screen apps
Overlay iPad scrolling
Built in server
Versions
Resume
LaunchPad
Mission Control
Podcast SHOWS
Front Row gets dropped
Scrolling is reversed
Cant get PowerPC apps
OSX repairs hard drive flaws (SOME)
Circular buttons are replaced with squares
Pinch or double tap to zoom
Auto Save
iTunes Artwork for screensavers
remote screenshare from anywhere in the world
QuickTime Pro
Time Machine No Longer Needs External harddrive

About this Mac gets redesigned
PC to Mac migration
Lets the user resize the window from any side
Auto correct spelling

Now think about it.. that makes things like Windows and Linux almost.. featureless. Theres like nothing to do on either anymore once Lion comes out.. because Lion has like endless things to do, because all the things I listed, PLUS iLife... I think that it's going to hurt the other OS bad!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
So there are so many things coming out with Lion, and they have ONLY showed some of the features...

Yeah, such as disabled PowerPC support for > 1000 US$ apps. Very nice! A new, wonderful feature of Lion!

QuickTime Pro
Oh, they reinvented their own wheel! That is certainly a "killer" feature! A new, wonderful feature of Lion!

Time Machine No Longer Needs External harddrive
This is a very useful feature, if your internal HD/SSD has some nice hardware defects. They call it a write-only backup. A new, wonderful feature of Lion!

Now think about it. I think that it's going to hurt the other OS bad!
Really! That means Lion will run on all PCs, so it can replace Windows and Linux, right!? Sorry! Wrong! A new, wonderful feature of Lion!

:D

Last edited:

gofightlose

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2011
I agree! Although some say they dislike the ios-like things, I think they only make it stronger. And as a pc user (I'm still saving up for a mbp) these are all features that I am very jealous of, because I know microsoft could/would never implement these elements at all, or in a functioning manner. Looking forward to its release!

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
haha you're funny. You do realize that, about 3/4 of the "features" you listed, Windows has had for a few years, right?

Full screen apps
Overlay iPad scrolling
Resume
Scrolling is reversed
Cant run older apps apps
QuickTime Pro
These are the notable features in Lion, from what you listed, that I can't replicate using Windows and Windows Life Essentials. And quite frankly, I don't know why I'd call the inability to run older apps or reverse scrolling a "feature" :rolleyes:

Really, all OS X gains that isn't native to Windows is full screen apps and Quick Time Pro... Really another great update from Cupertino, but kudos goes especially to their marketing department!

cootersgarage6

Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
Yeah, such as disabled PowerPC support for > 1000 US$ apps. Very nice! A new, wonderful feature of Lion!

Oh, they reinvented their own wheel! That is certainly a "killer" feature! A new, wonderful feature of Lion!

This is a very useful feature, if your internal HD/SSD has some nice hardware defects. They call it a write-only backup. A new, wonderful feature of Lion!

Really! That means Lion will run on all PCs, so it can replace Windows and Linux, right!? Sorry! Wrong! A new, wonderful feature of Lion!

:D

Wow, it's funny how you only pointed out certain points, leave my post and stop being so mean. It's MacRumors, you're not the president.. I know.. they truth hurts.

cootersgarage6

Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
I agree! Although some say they dislike the ios-like things, I think they only make it stronger. And as a pc user (I'm still saving up for a mbp) these are all features that I am very jealous of, because I know microsoft could/would never implement these elements at all, or in a functioning manner. Looking forward to its release!

Exactly ! I'm also saving to get the new MacBook Pro! Which one are you getting? I'm in high school so I'm just going to get the 13 inch when I start working this summer.

Aug 26, 2008
Now think about it.. that makes things like Windows and Linux almost.. featureless. Theres like nothing to do on either anymore once Lion comes out.. because Lion has like endless things to do, because all the things I listed, PLUS iLife... I think that it's going to hurt the other OS bad!

Ugh...do you have any clue what you are saying? Windows and Linux have had "features" among those you listed for a long time. And I say "no thanks" to the iPadification of OSX. If you want to talk "featureless" OSes, OSX seems like it will always lead the pack there. It is the prettiest, but it also is the most consumer oriented.

Also, have you seen the reviews for the latest iLife?

cootersgarage6

Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
haha you're funny. You do realize that, about 3/4 of the "features" you listed, Windows has had for a few years, right?

These are the notable features in Lion, from what you listed, that I can't replicate using Windows and Windows Life Essentials. And quite frankly, I don't know why I'd call the inability to run older apps or reverse scrolling a "feature" :rolleyes:

Really, all OS X gains that isn't native to Windows is full screen apps and Quick Time Pro... Really another great update from Cupertino, but kudos goes especially to their marketing department!

yeah that's great! Hush. Yeah, those features are on PCs.. wee that's good for you. But what comes with your PC? oh yeah, a calc and a clock! that's so much fun! I'm talking about the APP STORE BUILT IN, THE CLASS A HIGH STANDARD VIDEO EDITING, MUSIC EDITING, AND WEB SITE CREATOR THAT COMES WITH THE MAC. Half of the features I listed Windows will never get, or you will have to pay like millions for them. Sure, you bought a cheap PC, that's cool. I wish Macs were cheaper to.. But WHAT DO YOU GET WITH A MAC? so much for than a PC.. and they last 10x longer. Heck, my school has some Mac Mini G4s that are running smoother than the Dells from 09. The app store that Apple now has for the Mac, and the iOS pages and folders, and the screen sharing built in, A SERVER built in which is freaking awesome!!!

Also, you sound like you hate macs, so hop off MacRumors. Also, Macs can run Windows... so what's better? A PC that JUST runs windows? Or something that runs both? better?

Hush.

cootersgarage6

Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
Ugh...do you have any clue what you are saying? Windows and Linux have had "features" among those you listed for a long time. And I say "no thanks" to the iPadification of OSX. If you want to talk "featureless" OSes, OSX seems like it will always lead the pack there. It is the prettiest, but it also is the most consumer oriented.

Also, have you seen the reviews for the latest iLife?

Umm.. Please name cool features that COME with Windows? and BTW, iLife is still good. It's only iPhoto that received horrible reviews. And so what, you can always downgrade. I had it done at the Apple Store. It's all about features. Linux has some okay ones, but Windows. They have NONE. barely.

cootersgarage6

Original poster
Nov 6, 2010

Does Windows have a app store? NO. Does Windows come with awesome video editing? NO. Does windows comes with music editing and recording software? NO. Does Windows come cool picture editing software? NO. Does windows come with most drivers installed? NO. Does windows have support for braille reading machines? NO. Does Windows have software that helps the hard of hearing? NO. Does Windows come with a built ins server like Lion? NO. Does Windows come with built in screen share from anywhere in the world like Lion does? NO. Does Windows come with camera recording effects like... Photobooth? NO.

You're right.! They come with so many features.

SmokeyRobinson

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2010
Does Windows have a app store? NO. Does Windows come with awesome video editing? NO. Does windows comes with music editing and recording software? NO. Does Windows come cool picture editing software? NO. Does windows come with most drivers installed? NO. Does windows have support for braille reading machines? NO. Does Windows have software that helps the hard of hearing? NO. Does Windows come with a built ins server like Lion? NO. Does Windows come with built in screen share from anywhere in the world like Lion does? NO. Does Windows come with camera recording effects like... Photobooth? NO.

You're right.! They come with so many features.

Dont most of those come with iLife which does not come with Lion? Many of the things you mentioned are available for free with Windows Live Essentials download or are actually naturally inherent to Windows such as the drivers and the hard of hearing/seeing thing.

I think all it doesnt handle is the braille (Havent looked into it for obvious reasons), server (Thats what the Server versions of Windows are for), and Music Editing. The "AppStore" is planned for Windows 8.

Aug 26, 2008
Umm.. Please name cool features that COME with Windows? and BTW, iLife is still good. It's only iPhoto that received horrible reviews. And so what, you can always downgrade. I had it done at the Apple Store. It's all about features. Linux has some okay ones, but Windows. They have NONE. barely.

Cool features that come with Windows? Ok, how about graphics drivers and support from the modern era? ;-) Or multicore support that is actually efficient and fast? :D Though maybe that is improved in Lion.

All of the Windows Live software does what iLife does outside of GarageBand (which is cool), and is free. You have to download it, but its a selection right there on the start screen. This of course is forced upon MS because of so called anti-trust reasons. Why Apple is allowed to bundle, but MS is not, is asinine. But moving on...

Airdrop...like Windows home networking. Also this functionality has been available on the mac for years with DropCopy.

Enter mac through mobileme? Have you ever heard of...remote desktop? Another years old feature for Windows.

iPad mail...certainly not a benefit. And that wide style has been available again...for years...elsewhere.

Man your list is just too long, and isn't even a real list of actual new benefits. I think you need to expand your horizons a bit. There is plenty that Windows does that OSX does not. I just use both reasonably, which is why I get annoyed at the complete ignorance that seems to permeate the Mac community. So many people ACTUALLY THINK that all Apple software is superior to everything else, as if Apple devices run on magical bits, or that they employ better engineers (they DON'T). It's all just computer science, Apple just happens to dress it up nicer than others and market it to people very well, perhaps too well...A lot of it is just smoke and mirrors.

ConnorCG

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2011
Yeah sure, lion is great, but it seem like they have only added a few small changes and you're acting like it is changing the world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.