PDA

View Full Version : Finder no longer shows app version number, audio bit rate in column view? What the F!

PBF
Feb 27, 2011, 06:54 PM
I used it all the time to have an idea as to how many apps reside in one folder or another or what version a certain app is. Anyone else found this info useful and convenient?

PurrBall
Feb 27, 2011, 06:58 PM
View > Show status bar

PBF
Feb 27, 2011, 07:02 PM
View > Show status bar
Thanks. Now how do I get Finder to show app version number like it used to (besides invoking Quick Look)? :)

Matthew.
Feb 27, 2011, 07:04 PM
View > Show View Options, check the Version box.

PBF
Feb 27, 2011, 07:08 PM
View > Show View Options, check the Version box.
I don't have the Version box:

http://cl.ly/4sCn/img.png

Matthew.
Feb 27, 2011, 07:10 PM
You can't add columns while you're viewing folders in column view, only in list view and cover flow.

PBF
Feb 27, 2011, 07:12 PM
You can't add columns while you're viewing folders in column view, only in list view and cover flow.
I'm not trying to add columns. All I want is to be able to see what version a certain app is.

PurrBall
Feb 27, 2011, 07:23 PM
I'm not trying to add columns. All I want is to be able to see what version a certain app is.

..which you have to add a column for :P

richard.mac
Feb 27, 2011, 07:32 PM
in SL its only available in list view. i assume this is the same for Lion. you can also see the version in the get info or quick look window (maybe not new Lion quick look)

PBF
Feb 27, 2011, 07:33 PM
..which you have to add a column for :P
I have no idea what you, guys, are talking about. :confused:

Have a look at the attachment below. Can you see "Name, Kind, Size, Created, Modified, Last Opened"? In Snow Leopard, there is one more bit of info called "Version". How do I enable that? Surely, you don't need to add any columns. There are no columns. Theoretically, they are horizontal lines or rows.

http://cl.ly/4tB9/img.png

PBF
Feb 27, 2011, 07:38 PM
in SL its only available in list view. i assume this is the same for Lion. you can also see the version in the get info or quick look window (maybe not new Lion quick look)
Not true. Here's the column view in Snow Leopard. See how it says "Version 1.0" under the Front Row icon:

http://cl.ly/4suT/img.png

PBF
Feb 27, 2011, 09:48 PM
Please, how do I get Finder to show app version number in column view?

Still a mystery to me.

richard.mac
Feb 28, 2011, 01:59 AM
ohh the column preview. well it looks like they changed it a bit and removed the version number. you're out of luck if they purposely removed it. they might put it back in, but don't count on it.

Ciarat
Mar 8, 2011, 12:43 AM
A few weeks ago my Finder mysteriously stopped showing anything in the "Today" view in the Search For section (Sidebar). Right now Yesterday is also blank, although Past Week shows files. Apparently I've inadvertently changed some setting, but I have no idea what.

If I'm in another application and want to open a file, the Today section is correctly populated. It's just not working in Finder.

PBF
Mar 8, 2011, 01:28 AM
By the way, it's a major pain now that Finder does not show audio bit rate either. The only way to see it is to Get Info or open with iTunes.

Just because of that, I hate Lion. At the same time, I don't wanna go back to Snow Leopard. :o

poobear
Mar 8, 2011, 07:12 AM
By the way, it's a major pain now that Finder does not show audio bit rate either. The only way to see it is to Get Info or open with iTunes.

Just because of that, I hate Lion. At the same time, I don't wanna go back to Snow Leopard. :o
Wow it doesn't take much for you to hate something. Songs are supposed to be played in iTunes anyway.

mrblack927
Mar 8, 2011, 09:29 AM
This seems like something you should be able to tweak via plist files. Granted, I have no idea how (or even where to start) but just from a programming point of view, it seems like the list/dictionary of properties to show or hide in column view would be specified in a plist file, not hardcoded into the app. Maybe someone can find out where. Good luck to you.