Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I tried to use MetaX to tag a movie out of my iTunes library and it did basically make it not-playable on my itunes or any other way. The file seems to become corrupted after I tag it.
Is MetaX the best solution to tag movies? Is there anything else out there?
I have my whole library already inside iTunes and I don't want to tag it all and suddenly not able to play the movies.
I appreciate any help.

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
MetaX has stopped support for the Mac version (I believe) some time back. I use to use but it introduced to many issues.

Go to iFlicks, indentfy2 or subler...plenty around that are actually much better then MetaX.

I use iFlicks...highly recommend it. Others swear by identfy2 and subler. Try them and choose the one you like most.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Yep, MetaX did that to me once before. It seems rare and arbitrary. However, I mostly use subler for everything now. It is much faster and more capable. If you want to import metadata, just open file with subler, choose File>Import tagChimp.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
MetaX has stopped support for the Mac version (I believe) some time back. I use to use but it introduced to many issues.

Go to iFlicks, indentfy2 or subler...plenty around that are actually much better then MetaX.

I use iFlicks...highly recommend it. Others swear by identfy2 and subler. Try them and choose the one you like most.

Yep, MetaX did that to me once before. It seems rare and arbitrary. However, I mostly use subler for everything now. It is much faster and more capable. If you want to import metadata, just open file with subler, choose File>Import tagChimp.

Thanks for the info!
I will check these other options.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
one more question,
Most of my DVD videos are music concerts, I am having hard time finding the metadata info for them on Tagchimp.
I search for it and hardly find results. Any suggestions? Thanks

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
one more question,
Most of my DVD videos are music concerts, I am having hard time finding the metadata info for them on Tagchimp.
I search for it and hardly find results. Any suggestions? Thanks

It all comes down to how you name the ripped file. I find iFlicks has no difficulty. Cant speak for subler and identfy2.

Colonel-Panic

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2010
Try this before you give up on it...

MetaX is great and I am one of those that swear by it. One thing that you will definitely want to make sure is that you go into the preferences and check the box that says "Enable support for large files". I figured this out when I first started using it a couple of years ago and then refreshed my memory the hard way when I installed this on a new Mac recently and forgot about this little detail leaving several movie encodes with audio when played through Apple TV but the video was just displayed as a black screen. The interesting thing is they played audio and video fine through iTunes so the lack of that preference only affected the playback of video through Apple TV.

Also, I obviously can't speak for Omne666's personal experience with tagging or using MetaX. However, after ripping 300+ movies with Handbrake and using MetaX to tag all of them, I have never run into an issue with the file name preventing me from tagging a movie or causing the file to be unreadable so I don't believe this is the issue. Maybe it's different with iFlicks as I have never used that application but it seems to make no difference with MetaX as long as OS X lets you name the file, it should work fine.

Other suggestions for tagging info and artwork...

Getvideoartwork.com & Themoviedb.org for artwork

iTunes store, Netflix or Wikipedia for info (release dates, ratings, genres, long descriptions, actors, directors, producers & screenwriters)

If you can't find a particular movie or concert film to get a description off of from the previously mentioned sources you could also try coverparadise.to or Google image search to find scans of actual dvd/blu-ray slip covers.

Lastly, chapter names can obviously be found on the DVD you are ripping.

Last edited:

Colonel-Panic

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2010
No problem, hope it works for you! If you are unsure about whether something will mess up your original file you could always duplicate it and test it on the duplicate rather than possibly messing up your original and having to re-encode it. Just a suggestion. That's what I usually do when I am considering a change in the system I've established for processing my giant DVD collection. I've got my routine down to a science.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
One thing I have noticed is that some transcoded files will appear "corrupt" and unplayable. I have found that this is sometimes because of a glitched chapter or subtitle track. You can try opening such files in subler and deactivating suspect tracks (usually will have a duration of 0:00:00.00). This has rescued some of my transcode efforts.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
There is also MetaZ, which is a reimplementation of MetaX. I've used it without issue since I noticed MetaX killing the video on some of my files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.