PDA

View Full Version : Lion updates via Apple Software Update or Mac App store?

Zorn
Feb 27, 2011, 11:07 PM
One thing I'm curious about, is it currently known whether updates to 10.7 developer preview will happen via Software Update , as with prior preview OS's, or if they will somehow use the Mac App store?

axu539
Feb 27, 2011, 11:13 PM
One thing I'm curious about, is it currently known whether updates to 10.7 developer preview will happen via Software Update , as with prior preview OS's, or if they will somehow use the Mac App store?

uhh seeing as there have not been any updates for Lion yet, I doubt anybody actually knows.

Cougarcat
Feb 27, 2011, 11:33 PM
As long as they are actual updates and not full releases, they'll come through Software Update.

bedifferent
Feb 28, 2011, 12:14 AM
As long as they are actual updates and not full releases, they'll come through Software Update.

In the past, OS X beta's were downloaded from Apple's site and the .dmg/iso was burned to a DVD or DVD D/L disc for installation. This is the first time I've seen an OS X beta that is delivered and installed without physical data. Every beta in the past had to be a fresh install, not an upgrade (which was a PITA for many). As aspects have changed, perhaps Apple will make it easier for developers to receive an update notification in the OS X App Store for "updating" the beta. It is possible to install "Lion" right over "Snow Leopard" in leu of a clean install, and the OS footprint is much smaller. I would not be surprised if future OS X "Lion" beta's install/update over the previous beta given this new direction.