Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
One thing I'm curious about, is it currently known whether updates to 10.7 developer preview will happen via Software Update , as with prior preview OS's, or if they will somehow use the Mac App store?

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010
One thing I'm curious about, is it currently known whether updates to 10.7 developer preview will happen via Software Update , as with prior preview OS's, or if they will somehow use the Mac App store?

uhh seeing as there have not been any updates for Lion yet, I doubt anybody actually knows.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
As long as they are actual updates and not full releases, they'll come through Software Update.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
As long as they are actual updates and not full releases, they'll come through Software Update.

In the past, OS X beta's were downloaded from Apple's site and the .dmg/iso was burned to a DVD or DVD D/L disc for installation. This is the first time I've seen an OS X beta that is delivered and installed without physical data. Every beta in the past had to be a fresh install, not an upgrade (which was a PITA for many). As aspects have changed, perhaps Apple will make it easier for developers to receive an update notification in the OS X App Store for "updating" the beta. It is possible to install "Lion" right over "Snow Leopard" in leu of a clean install, and the OS footprint is much smaller. I would not be surprised if future OS X "Lion" beta's install/update over the previous beta given this new direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.