PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to get this project done!

yaboy10holla
Feb 28, 2011, 01:02 AM
Hi,

I want to create a group messaging social network type app for the iphone with locations features similar to something like loopt.

I dont have any programming experience but i've been working thru an intro iphone app book and am doing ok so far.

i understand this will be pretty difficult, but do any of you have any suggestions for learning materials? I'd love some suggestions for learning everything from the database back end right up to the actual interface of the app. Clarifications regarding big picture setup would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks a bunch in advance!

87vert
Feb 28, 2011, 07:02 AM
break everything down into small parts and then figure out how to do each of those parts.

balamw
Feb 28, 2011, 10:21 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Which book are you using now? What works for you and what doesn't with it?

87vert is right. Baby steps. You need both top down and bottom up design. Top down in terms of identifying the key features you want than bottom up to implement these features piece by piece.

B

seepel
Feb 28, 2011, 12:37 PM
I found the Stanford iPhone Classes on iTunes U to be very helpful.

yaboy10holla
Feb 28, 2011, 04:53 PM
Thanks guys. I'm using iPhone application development in 24 hours. I've found it useful so far.

Any suggestions for the database aspect? Do I just create a mysql database?

TheWatchfulOne
Feb 28, 2011, 05:16 PM
Any suggestions for the database aspect? Do I just create a mysql database?

Use CoreData which is Apple's framework for interacting with a SQLite database. "Beginning iPhone 3(or 4) Development" by Dave Mark and Jeff LaMarche has a good introduction to CoreData. "More iPhone 3 Development" by the same authors has a few more chapters that go deeper into it. "More iPhone 4 Development" is scheduled to be published in June if you want to wait for it. I found "More iPhone 3 Development" on Amazon for $1.56 used (but in new condition.) And that's normally a $50 book!:eek: