PDA

View Full Version : Dictionary

tourada
Feb 28, 2011, 07:36 AM
Dictionary now comes with American English and British English Oxford Dictionary and Thesaurus. You can change the setting in the preferences pane. That's interesting....

rekhyt
Feb 28, 2011, 07:56 AM
Finally. Been waiting for a British dictionary for a year already. Not that the American one doesn't work-it automatically provides both versions of the spelling of a word.

Kyffin
Feb 28, 2011, 08:35 AM
OED and Thesaurus to come with the OS? That actually looks like a useful real world improvement. Does it say whether its the concise/ shorter/ dictionary of version?

vincenz
Feb 28, 2011, 08:37 AM
Awesome! Never expected OED on there.

tourada
Feb 28, 2011, 08:45 AM
OED and Thesaurus to come with the OS? That actually looks like a useful real world improvement. Does it say whether its the concise/ shorter/ dictionary of version?

It doesn't. All it says are the sources being: "New Oxford American Dictionary", "Oxford American's Writers Thesaurus" , "Oxford Dictionary of English", and "Oxford Thesaurus of English".
And for our Japanese friends, looks like there are more dictionaries as well. (Japanese, Japanese synonyms, and Japanese-English)

Kyffin
Feb 28, 2011, 08:48 AM
Thank you for replying- looks like it comes bundled with some tasty reference tools. I think the dictionary may be this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-Dictionary-English-Dictionaries/dp/0199571120/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298903628&sr=8-1 i which case it looks very useful indeed.

tourada
Feb 28, 2011, 08:54 AM
If this helps, the copyright year for the oxford dictionary of english is 2010 (3rd edition) and the thesaurus is 2006 (2nd edition). Looks like that amazon link is correct for the dictionary. The thesaurus link should be:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-Thesaurus-English-Maurice-Waite/dp/0199296278/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1298904703&sr=1-4

Kyffin
Feb 28, 2011, 09:06 AM
Having more substantial reference tools is actually something I could get excited about- and particularly from such a reputable source like the OUP.

Although unlikely, I'd be very happy to be able to reference the full OED on a per-hit or shorter subscription term than currently offered. (205+vat/year or 53+vat/quarter is far too steep for my liking).

Still, those bundles sound like excellent value-added!

CarsonGallo
Feb 28, 2011, 03:43 PM
Is it me or is the highlight work and Open In Dictionary unresponsive in Lion. Because every time i do it, nothing happens.

tourada
Feb 28, 2011, 03:45 PM
Is it me or is the highlight work and Open In Dictionary unresponsive in Lion. Because every time i do it, nothing happens.

No I don't think it is just you. I already filed a bug report about dictionary not opening when you select "look up in dictionary"