PDA

View Full Version : How stable has Lion been for you? POLL

nathanl1192
Feb 28, 2011, 11:04 AM
Lion has been surprisingly stable for me, with only a few hangs...
fill out the Poll!

Dewroo
Feb 28, 2011, 11:10 AM
Wheres the poll?

lion has been around 70% stable.

nathanl1192
Feb 28, 2011, 11:10 AM
Wheres the poll?

Poll is now up!

tourada
Feb 28, 2011, 11:12 AM
Wheres the poll?

About to say the same thing.

Lion is pretty stable. Only a few bugs with finder and spotlight so far. Nothing too bad. No crashes on Macbook 6,1

stainlessliquid
Feb 28, 2011, 11:37 AM
It doesnt crash (computers dont crash anymore now that everything is a separate process) but Safari and Quicktime are constantly getting messed up.

alvarodonaire
Feb 28, 2011, 11:39 AM
For me it's been very stable, with some few glitches in the finder and in Safari, but nothing too terrible.

antmarobel
Feb 28, 2011, 11:40 AM
except for one or two bugs, every thing is pretty fine. No crashes in Safari or Quicktime or any other application so far

CarsonGallo
Feb 28, 2011, 03:07 PM
Apple always has the best betas, its official. I remember Xbox dashboard beet, CABLLOOEY!!!!!!!!!! The leaning tower of Pisa was more stable than that piece of ****! Spaking of ****! Are we allowed to curse on forums or at least MacRumors? I'm a newbie:)

WeegieMac
Feb 28, 2011, 03:25 PM
There are only two things stopping me using this build every day, and that's the lag in Launchpad opening at times (either via Hot Corner or the Dock icon) and the sloppy animations when opening/closing Folders in Launchpad.

It takes a little away from the smooth feel of OS X that you're used to in Snow Leopard.

WeegieMac
Feb 28, 2011, 03:31 PM
Odd bug I've just come across.

I have some DVD's ripped and converted to AVI format on my external hard drive.

When I try to load them with QuickTime or Quick Look, the file won't open.

QuickTime says the file cannot be played.

iPhone1
Feb 28, 2011, 03:36 PM
Had one kernel panic so far and a few bugs. Surprisingly stable.

kirky29
Feb 28, 2011, 03:46 PM
Almost perfect for me, I can honestly say in a lot of area's it feels much more stable than Leopard.
And this is just a Dev Preview.. Impressed.
:apple:

WeegieMac
Feb 28, 2011, 03:49 PM
Can anyone else try and play an AVI file through QuickTime and see if it works?

kirky29
Feb 28, 2011, 03:51 PM
Can anyone else try and play an AVI file through QuickTime and see if it works?

Works on mine, but it was a pain in the ass to get working. Installed everything from Perian, DivX, Flip4Mac, X-something...

Test if it works in Quicklook, and in the icon previews etc. But just not in QuickTime. (Worked originally for me in Quicktime 7 on my SL partition also!)

WeegieMac
Feb 28, 2011, 03:53 PM
Works on mine, but it was a pain in the ass to get working. Installed everything from Perian, DivX, Flip4Mac, X-something...

Test if it works in Quicklook, and in the icon previews etc. But just not in QuickTime. (Worked originally for me in Quicktime 7 on my SL partition also!)

Quick Look doesn't work, and the icons are the basic QuickTime logo ones.

Perian wouldn't install for me either ... very strange.

Edit: Perian only installs on Lion if you choose to Install for the main user of the computer. If you select to install for all users of the computer, it refuses to install because of an "error".

And now, in both QuickTime and Quick Look, my AVI files work perfectly. Although, why is AVI support missing from QuickTime even in a Developer Preview of Lion. Doesn't seem like something that would require tweaking, etc.

Although I hope Front Row is adequately replaced, as my wife adores that program for watching TV shows and movie trailers.

kirky29
Feb 28, 2011, 04:00 PM
Quick Look doesn't work, and the icons are the basic QuickTime logo ones.

Perian wouldn't install for me either ... very strange.

Hmm, I think in the end, the final thing was xVid.
And it just all worked..!

downloaded from here. Dragged into the User > YOU > Library > Quicktime folder.. and like I said, it worked.
Could have been a combination of things though :-/!

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/17151/xvid_codec/

WeegieMac
Feb 28, 2011, 04:03 PM
Hmm, I think in the end, the final thing was xVid.
And it just all worked..!

downloaded from here. Dragged into the User > YOU > Library > Quicktime folder.. and like I said, it worked.
Could have been a combination of things though :-/!

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/17151/xvid_codec/

Cheers for the prompt replies mate, much appreciated.

Finally got it working through installing Perian, which worked with only the main user being allowed access, not all users.

kirky29
Feb 28, 2011, 04:07 PM
Cheers for the prompt replies mate, much appreciated.

Finally got it working through installing Perian, which worked with only the main user being allowed access, not all users.

No worries! Glad you got it all sorted :)

Applepi
Feb 28, 2011, 05:26 PM
I had a kernel panic the day I installed it but haven't seen one since. Suprisngly very stable with a few bugs here and there. Overall I am very pleased.

hipauliee
Feb 28, 2011, 08:27 PM
Super stable, except one minor setback.
Flickr export 4, when exporting to flickr, causes a huge memory leak.
I literally watched 12 GB of RAM deplete down to 12 MB of RAM available
in less than 30 seconds. It was quite spectacular, I must say. /end

Maclver
Feb 28, 2011, 08:34 PM
Just so f-in annoyed at the seeding process, I need to re-download the installer from the app store and its not in there and the code won't work again. So i emailed dev support over the weekend and they haven't issued a new code yet.....grrr!

ErikGrim
Feb 28, 2011, 09:00 PM
Just so f-in annoyed at the seeding process, I need to re-download the installer from the app store and its not in there and the code won't work again. So i emailed dev support over the weekend and they haven't issued a new code yet.....grrr!

Sounds like a legitimate reason to download it on the grey market.

Maclver
Feb 28, 2011, 09:03 PM
Sounds like a legitimate reason to download it on the grey market.

No.. Cause I would like to get updates when they come out....

cocky jeremy
Feb 28, 2011, 09:14 PM
100% fine for me. Safari is quicker, all my apps work, restarts are faster.

ErikGrim
Feb 28, 2011, 10:01 PM
No.. Cause I would like to get updates when they come out....You should be able to download the image from ADC as well as the app store. Not the case?

In any case, updates are likely to be delivered via Software Update as with Leopard and Snow Leopard or with new disk images as with earlier pre-releases that can be used to clean install or upgrade your current install.

I don't see how the upgrade mechanism in the App Store could be used to upgrade the OS directly itself.

Maclver
Feb 28, 2011, 10:11 PM
You should be able to download the image from ADC as well as the app store. Not the case?

In any case, updates are likely to be delivered via Software Update as with Leopard and Snow Leopard or with new disk images as with earlier pre-releases that can be used to clean install or upgrade your current install.

I don't see how the upgrade mechanism in the App Store could be used to upgrade the OS directly itself.

They only released the install over the app store, so no disk images this time around.. Ill just wait :(...

phpmaven
Feb 28, 2011, 10:41 PM
It doesnt crash (computers dont crash anymore now that everything is a separate process) but Safari and Quicktime are constantly getting messed up.

"computers don't crash anymore" That's a good one. :p

The first time I tried to run iTunes after I installed Lion, I got this gray curtain come down across the screen and then tell me that I had to press and hold the power button to recover. It was actually the coolest crash I've ever had. :)

After that, no more freeze ups, but I've had quite a few display "anomalies", like Mail windows getting left on top of Safari windows after Mail was closed and tooltip from Finder that stayed on top of every other window. Some weirdness like that, but all in all pretty stable.

ErikGrim
Feb 28, 2011, 11:12 PM
After that, no more freeze ups, but I've had quite a few display "anomalies", like Mail windows getting left on top of Safari windows after Mail was closed and tooltip from Finder that stayed on top of every other window. Some weirdness like that, but all in all pretty stable.Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the occasional after images of other windows in Safari is due to WebKit2 using OpenGL to render.

kLy
Mar 1, 2011, 03:46 PM
How did you guys manage to get Perian installed? I've managed to get the prefpane installed, however inside the prefpane when I choose "Install Perian", I get the error: "extraction of ACMovieImport.componnet failed"

brendu
Mar 2, 2011, 09:30 PM

That happened to me today but I called them and within 10 mins they had sent me a new code. Hope you got it worked out.

LutzRFrank
Mar 3, 2011, 01:18 AM
I miss a vote option between very and mainly - no Kernel Panics and crashes but a few bugs found ...

*LTD*
Mar 5, 2011, 07:19 PM
Remarkably stable.

Some bugs here and there, some incomplete implementations of features - so, a little "rough around the edges."

Otherwise, all good. It's my main day-to-day OS.

Maclver
Mar 5, 2011, 07:27 PM
Remarkably stable.

Some bugs here and there, some incomplete implementations of features - so, a little "rough around the edges."

Otherwise, all good. It's my main day-to-day OS.

I have experienced Kernel Panics when I have had a lot of tabs open in safari and then hint "CMD Q" (Apple Q)... It tries to close them and then bam screen goes grey and I'm told to turn off my comp

Cougarcat
Mar 5, 2011, 07:53 PM
Not very. Just useful for poking around and seeing what's new. I'm running it off of an external, and my internal SSD will occasionally"eject". No idea why.

zeemeerman2
Mar 5, 2011, 07:53 PM
Most hangs I got were from the Server application. (You know, ... you could install the server applications while installing Lion...)

Sometimes, it just crashes.. Kinda reminds me of the time I had to work on Vista... (however there is no UAC at Lion)

Lord Appleseed
Mar 6, 2011, 12:50 AM
Stable enough to use it full time.

Jayrcee
Mar 19, 2011, 11:17 PM
It's been stable for me.

bedifferent
Mar 20, 2011, 01:58 AM
i miss a vote option between very and mainly - no kernel panics and crashes but a few bugs found ...

+1

AlphaDogg
Mar 20, 2011, 02:12 AM
I get a kernel panic at least twice a week. Some of the kernel panics site the com.apple.GeForce plist (?) and some site the com.apple.IONetworkingFamily plist (?) I am putting the ?'s because I am not sure if they are plists or drivers or what...

realityvaries
Mar 20, 2011, 03:47 PM
"The operation canít be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -8060)"

Hi all,
I just started getting this error on my Lion drive. It keeps me from moving any files from my drive; I can't copy/paste (including holding OP while dragging) to my external or to my USB, also unable to burn cd/dvds. Any insights?

antmarobel
Mar 20, 2011, 07:14 PM
A few days ago I begin to have problems with Safari. Every time I'm on this Brazilian news site:

http://g1.globo.com/

If I'm downloading something or if I have some others tabs open, Safari loses internet connection, the download stall and all the tab turn into blank pages. Sometimes it simply crashes.

celticpride678
Mar 20, 2011, 07:30 PM
I've had two kernel panics on Lion so far - so that's something that needs to be fixed.