Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dazzer21

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2005
I've just upgraded to CS5 from CS3 and am having issues with InDesign. I'm on an iMac Aluminium 2.8Ghz with 2GB RAM. I had no issues at all with CS3 - ran nice and fast, even when I was using it over a remote connection from home to the office. CS5 is IMMENSELY slow in comparison - the latency is driving me nuts and the interface seems clunky in comparison (the amount of times I move an object only to find that the content is selected and not the picture box has me pulling my hair out!). Looking at the system requirements, even with 2GB RAM, the machine should be able to run this without any issues, but the speed is terrible. Any ideas?

As an aside, is there a way to go back to the progress bar when exporting PDFs? That annoying little lines image at the top of the screen is just useless - if it goes on too long you can't tell if it's frozen or not. So far I am not overly bowled over by it...

legreve

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
Denmark
I've just upgraded to CS5 from CS3 and am having issues with InDesign. I'm on an iMac Aluminium 2.8Ghz with 2GB RAM. I had no issues at all with CS3 - ran nice and fast, even when I was using it over a remote connection from home to the office. CS5 is IMMENSELY slow in comparison - the latency is driving me nuts and the interface seems clunky in comparison (the amount of times I move an object only to find that the content is selected and not the picture box has me pulling my hair out!). Looking at the system requirements, even with 2GB RAM, the machine should be able to run this without any issues, but the speed is terrible. Any ideas?

As an aside, is there a way to go back to the progress bar when exporting PDFs? That annoying little lines image at the top of the screen is just useless - if it goes on too long you can't tell if it's frozen or not. So far I am not overly bowled over by it...

Regardless of what the box says there is a change from 3 to 5... and 2gb is nothing nowadays.

lucidmedia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand

it took me a few days to get used to it as well.

take a look at the following thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/914111/

I found this there, and remembered that this sped my performance up quite a bit..

The reason that you may be experiencing a lag in InDesign CS5 is because the live screen drawing is immediate. This lets you see objects on screen as you re-size them instead of showing a bounding box. If you are experiencing a slow down you can change this behavior in your preferences by changing the option to delayed or never.

I agree however that 2GB is at the root of your problem.

In regards to the PDF issue, I keep the "background tasks" popup open so I can watch PDF progress... the multi-threading on this feature is good in concept, but feedback has not been well implemented.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.