Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

genewhite1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2010
G5 single processor
running Leopard

Hey guys, I have a question about installing a new hard drive. The original drive was starting to make some funny noises and didn't always start up on the first try, so I bought an external hard drive and did a full backup which was successful. I then went to the local computer store and bought a new 320 GB drive. Here is my question, after I install the new hard drive and I begin to install the OSX operating system, do I leave the external drive connected, or do I do a clean install of Leopard on the new drive and then connect the external to transfer existing files, etc. Any help would be much appreciated. I have basic computer skills, but I don't work on these things all the time. I just love Macs. Thanks for your help.

Nov 28, 2010
located
You can do either, as the installer can offer you to transfer data via the Setup Assistant, which will transfer your whole user account - which is recommended - or you can use Migration Assistant later, which imports data into your user account, which might lead to some disturbances.

If the external HDD is using Firewire, you could also boot from that HDD and then clone via CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper the external HDD's contents to the internal HDD and then boot again from the internal HDD. It should be the fastest way.

genewhite1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2010
Thanks for responding so quickly. I love this website for that. The external hard drive is by WD, a one terabyte My Book for Mac and it just has a simple USB connection.

genewhite1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2010
Okay, I installed the new hard drive, plugged in the external hard drive and restarted the computer with the OSX installation disc in the tray. The window to start the installation comes up and it asks, "where do you want to install the operating system?" It shows only the external drive. The new hard drive is not shown. I can open Disc Utilites from the menu at the top and it shows the new hard drive and the external. It just doesn't show on the install screen. What am I doing wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.