PDA

View Full Version : How do you quit this damn iCal???

PBF
Mar 1, 2011, 01:13 AM
Doesn't want to quit. Re-launches no matter what I do. Tried force-quitting it, even tried restarting my computer with the "relaunch current apps after restart" box unchecked. Nothing seems to shut this b*tch up.

Driving me batty. :mad:

neko girl
Mar 1, 2011, 01:24 AM
Try this:

PBF
Mar 1, 2011, 01:27 AM
Try this:
It's supposed to be checked, right?

If yes, then that didn't work either. The damn thing still re-launched. :(

neko girl
Mar 1, 2011, 01:30 AM
Unchecked:

PBF
Mar 1, 2011, 01:36 AM
Unchecked:
I'm not sure what you're trying to show me. I don't want it to open at login. So why would I even select that option? :confused:

Unchecked:
Then why is it checked in your screenshot suggesting that I try it? :confused:

neko girl
Mar 1, 2011, 01:38 AM
You would click on it if there a check mark by it currently. This option being unchecked would prevent it from opening at login.

You can access that menu by right clicking on iCal icon in your Dock.

Then why is it checked in your screenshot? :confused:
It's unchecked in my screenshot. Look harder (:

PBF
Mar 1, 2011, 01:40 AM
It's unchecked in my screenshot. Look harder (:
It's clearly checked.

P.S. I'm talking about "Turn off all alarms".

neko girl
Mar 1, 2011, 01:43 AM
Right click on iCal icon in your Dock.
Select Options.
Is there a checkmark beside "Open at Login"?
If so, uncheck it.

PBF
Mar 1, 2011, 01:45 AM
Right click on iCal icon in your Dock.
Select Options.
Is there a checkmark beside "Open at Login"?
If so, uncheck it.
Unchecked.

But should I check the box for "Turn of all alarms"?

:)

neko girl
Mar 1, 2011, 01:48 AM
Uncheck the box for "Turn off all alarms". I mistakenly thought that's what your problem was.

Can you tell me if iCal is popping up at login, still?

PBF
Mar 1, 2011, 01:49 AM
Uncheck the box for "Turn off all alarms". I mistakenly thought that's what your problem was.

Can you tell me if iCal is popping up at login, still?
Still does. :(

neko girl
Mar 1, 2011, 01:54 AM
Ok, might be bad news:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9533160
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=13006506

It might be that you have to recreate your username.

--

Before you do though: System Preferences > Accounts > Your Account > Login Items.

Do you see iCal there?

87racer
Mar 1, 2011, 03:16 AM
Have you tried force quitting from activity monitor. it could be crashing on close and then trying to recover. force quitting would bypass that.

if it keeps opening there is likely another program opening it. It would not be something like open at login or in the login items menu because those are ONLY opened upon logon and not continuously.

you could download a program called fseventer and close everything possible (any open programs, even stuff in your menubar) then run fseventer and click the little play button in the top left corner. then try to quit ical and let it reopen. then click the little pause button. take a screenshot(command+shift+3) and post it here.

also, did you install over SL or do a fresh install to another partition?

-----------------------------------------
Mac OS X Lion Adventures.
Issues, Solutions, and Workarounds
http://www.bs87.com
-----------------------------------------

87racer
Mar 5, 2011, 02:46 PM
Found how to fix the issue for now.

posted a video at http://www.bs87.com

antmarobel
Mar 5, 2011, 02:51 PM
The solution is: Close iCal, drag the icon to the Trash ( DO NOT DELETE IT!!!) than restart machine. But you must be fast, otherwise iCal opens again before you have time to restart! :D

87racer
Mar 5, 2011, 03:03 PM
The solution is: Close iCal, drag the icon to the Trash ( DO NOT DELETE IT!!!) than restart machine. But you must be fast, otherwise iCal opens again before you have time to restart! :D

yes if you don't want to delete all your events this does work too! i used force quit and command+delete to do it fast. also you should move your iCal back from the trash to your applications folder after the restart. you should be able to just logout as that kills launchd which is what is launching iCal but i didn't test that.

you have to do this every time you create, change, or delete a new event in iCal under Lion.

dethmaShine
Mar 5, 2011, 04:16 PM
I have been getting the same issues on my macbook.

I close it. It opens up in the next 5 seconds.

Are you using MobileMe?

antmarobel
Mar 5, 2011, 04:33 PM

Are you using MobileMe?

No. The synchronization is what makes it behavior like an undead...you kill it, but it comes back five seconds later.:D

87racer
Mar 5, 2011, 05:07 PM

Are you using MobileMe?

did you try the two solutions in this thread? both have worked for me.

PBF
Mar 5, 2011, 06:42 PM
you have to do this every time you create, change, or delete a new event in iCal under Lion.
Wow, I can't be bothered doing this every time since I do something in iCal almost every day. I'll just live with it until the next beta (hope it's fixed then).

P.S. Thanks for the solutions, everyone. :)

mrblack927
Mar 5, 2011, 07:05 PM
Yeah I noticed this too. I thought it was weird but I figured it was because of my MobileMe account auto-syncing all the time. I guess it does that for everyone then? I wonder if its a feature or a bug...

QuarterSwede
Mar 5, 2011, 07:15 PM
Yeah I noticed this too. I thought it was weird but I figured it was because of my MobileMe account auto-syncing all the time. I guess it does that for everyone then? I wonder if its a feature or a bug...
Sounds like a bug to me and a rather large one at that.

omfgmatt
Mar 29, 2011, 10:16 PM
Do you have any programs that try to pull data form ical?

I noticed that I started having this problem after I configured Things to pull from one of my calendars in ical. Now I can't get ical to stop opening hidden no matter what I do. I changed the things settings back to default, tried the trashing ical thing suggested in a comment above. I have even totally deleted both Things and ical along with all their support files and reinstalled Lion. Nothing has worked.

It must be something I did because on two other systems I installed Lion on ical is not a problem. I have no idea how to fix it -_-

PBF
Mar 29, 2011, 10:55 PM
Do you have any programs that try to pull data form ical?

I noticed that I started having this problem after I configured Things to pull from one of my calendars in ical. Now I can't get ical to stop opening hidden no matter what I do. I changed the things settings back to default, tried the trashing ical thing suggested in a comment above. I have even totally deleted both Things and ical along with all their support files and reinstalled Lion. Nothing has worked.

It must be something I did because on two other systems I installed Lion on ical is not a problem. I have no idea how to fix it -_-
I've given up. I just let it run indefinitely. Hope there's a new beta with a fix soon.

RoelJuun
Mar 30, 2011, 04:46 AM
Have you tried terminal?

ps -ax

Find the process-id and type

kill [process-id]

it should work…

mrblack927
Mar 30, 2011, 09:47 AM
Have you tried terminal?

ps -ax

Find the process-id and type

kill [process-id]

it should work…

It's not a matter of killing it. You can cmd+Q and it quits just fine. The problem is the OS seems to be relaunching it automatically (usually within a few seconds) every time you quit. No one is really sure what process is responsible for this, if it's a bug, or if it's intended.

Joshuarocks
Mar 30, 2011, 10:31 AM
I have come to conclusion that Snow Leopard is much easier to use :)

superstrikertwo
Mar 30, 2011, 10:45 AM
I have come to conclusion that Snow Leopard is much easier to use :)

Hardly. Lion is a lot easier to use than Snow Leopard. Lion is still a beta (for us anyway) so there are odd quirks and bugs that will be fixed for the final.

talmy
Mar 30, 2011, 10:53 AM
I thought one of the "features" of Lion is that you don't close applications. So my question is "Why quit iCal?" If you use it, why not keep it running all the time?

FWIW, when I first got Snow Leopard I had a problem where iTunes would automatically start, and start playing music. Somewhat more annoying than iCal!