PDA

View Full Version : Resize Drive Partition

Swizbeats
Mar 1, 2011, 03:43 AM
Hey Guys,

I know there are a lot of threads on this topic, but sadly none of them that I could find address my problem. I need to resize external drive partitions. Both are in Mac OS Extended format (one Journaled and one not). I use the Journaled for my Time machine back up and would like to reduce the size of this drive. My OS 10.5.8.

I can't grab and move the graphic partitions and all other buttons are greyed out. It seems like the only thing I can do is create a new scheme. I'm afraid, however, that will delete all content on the whole drive. I don't remember putting any special security restrictions on changes to the drive, but if I did I don't know where to change them.

Any ideas? :confused:

chas0001
Mar 1, 2011, 03:50 AM
I think that there are some restrictions on what Disk Utility can do.

Perhaps try a third party application : iPartition (http://www.coriolis-systems.com/iPartition.php)

I have used it for a few years.

dred
Apr 21, 2011, 01:04 PM
I think that there are some restrictions on what Disk Utility can do.

Perhaps try a third party application : iPartition (http://www.coriolis-systems.com/iPartition.php)

I have used it for a few years.

Since you're so familiar with iPartition, perhaps you can assist me. I tried to resize my 1 TB FAT32 Seagate Freeagent external hard drive which has about 600 GB of media. I also asked iPartition to add a 60 GB partition becaues I planned on running Wii WBFS files from this partition. I started the process without backing up my data (I know, stupid) and it was taking forever so I let it go over night and didn't allow my Macbook to sleep. In the morning I woke up to see an error message from iPartition saying the program failed to read from my external and now it doesn't mount and the disk is corrupted. I'm looking into recovery options now, but I don't want to pay $100 for a program that I'm not sure will work. Any help will be greatly appreciated!