PDA

View Full Version : Lion Finally Has Cut and Paste for Files!

iPhone1
Mar 1, 2011, 08:24 AM
Cut/copy your file as normal and hold option and right click in the destination folder.

You'll see a "Move Item Here" selection in the menu.

Enjoy.:D

Jolly Jimmy
Mar 1, 2011, 08:49 AM
Don't you mean cut and paste?

Is there a keyboard shortcut?

Hansr
Mar 1, 2011, 08:52 AM
Cut and paste assumingly? It's been there since 10.4.8 IIRC just disabled.

boa
Mar 1, 2011, 02:18 PM
best news ever. (yes, I'm a switcher xD)

cmd+option+V

Patrick J
Mar 2, 2011, 06:59 AM
Now this is good news!:apple:

thejadedmonkey
Mar 2, 2011, 07:19 AM
This is THE killer feature for OS X 10.7 Lion!

I'll see where the hardware's at when I get it, but I might just have to get another mac laptop...

Mr. Retrofire
Mar 2, 2011, 07:29 AM
Cut/copy your file as normal and hold option and right click in the destination folder.

Cut & paste operations in the Finder require certainly a 64-Bit OS!

:rolleyes:

Hansr
Mar 2, 2011, 07:30 AM
It doesn't work the same way in the older versions but the Finder has had this since 10.3.8 (not 10.4.8) it was just disabled, to enable just run this in the terminal and restart the Finder:

defaults write com.apple.finder AllowCutForItems 1

To add the shortcut:
Go to System Preferences
KeyBoard & Mouse
KeyBoard Shotcut
In this windows press + on left botton
All Applications
Menu Title:Cut
KeyBoard Shortcut:command+X
OK

The difference is that this gives you cut and then you paste versus the other one doing copy and then move instead of paste.

boa
Mar 3, 2011, 04:41 PM
It doesn't work the same way in the older versions but the Finder has had this since 10.3.8 (not 10.4.8) it was just disabled, to enable just run this in the terminal and restart the Finder:

To add the shortcut:
Go to System Preferences
KeyBoard & Mouse
KeyBoard Shotcut
All Applications
OK

The difference is that this gives you cut and then you paste versus the other one doing copy and then move instead of paste.

When you cmd+X after enabling that option, the file goes directly to the trash as far as I'm concerned. Not the real cutting for pasting desired behaviour.

bedifferent
Mar 16, 2011, 04:25 PM
I've not seen any mention of Lion now using Finder's "Cut", which is now active.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/ember/BtV39SA1OMCyBqoP6S7vR9B8HK7PC6Mf_m.jpg

Sorry, I started a thread and the mods moved it to this one, so forgive my comment that sounds rather "Captain Obvious" now lol

Oh and what was the reason for the elimination of Cut from Finder? I remember Apple stating that users were losing data that they forgot to paste or copy after a cut. Why didn't they implement a clipboard or such to save any cut files/info in case users had forgotten?

Dalton63841
Mar 16, 2011, 04:26 PM
How did I miss THAT?

ivnj
Mar 16, 2011, 05:02 PM
Cut & paste operations in the Finder require certainly a 64-Bit OS!

:rolleyes:

Windows cut and paste never required 64 bit so why mac?

QuarterSwede
Mar 16, 2011, 05:08 PM
Windows cut and paste never required 64 bit so why mac?
:rolleyes: = sarcasm

ivnj
Mar 16, 2011, 05:41 PM
Wasn't trying to be sarcastic. Was just just simply wondering. I use cut and paste all the time. Just never needed it for mac I guess.

KirkL
Mar 16, 2011, 06:52 PM
Wasn't trying to be sarcastic. Was just just simply wondering. I use cut and paste all the time. Just never needed it for mac I guess.

Mr. Retrofire was being sarcastic...hence the use of ":rolleyes:"

beepp
Mar 18, 2011, 04:28 AM

You can have Cut & Paste (also with shortcut) in Snow with TotalFinder (http://totalfinder.binaryage.com/) :cool:

evripidis
May 31, 2011, 04:22 AM

To add the shortcut:
Go to System Preferences
KeyBoard & Mouse
KeyBoard Shotcut
All Applications
OK

This can be turned on also in Snow Leopard, but after you execute the CMD+X the file goes directly to Trash. The same happens also in Lion. Nothing new about that.

FroMann
May 31, 2011, 09:50 AM
YES!!! Wait... Shouldn't this have been on OSX or even OS9 years ago? Oh well, nice that is has Cut and Paste now.

maflynn
May 31, 2011, 10:25 AM
I'm going to love to hear how the apple fanboys who defended this omission of this feature now praise apple for being so innovative by creating a new feature to move files :p

slb
May 31, 2011, 11:21 PM
I'm going to love to hear how the apple fanboys who defended this omission of this feature now praise apple for being so innovative by creating a new feature to move files :p

I've never seen anyone defend the omission, and I doubt we'll see anyone praise Apple for being innovative in implementing it either. Nobody cares that much.

blueroom
May 31, 2011, 11:21 PM
Finally. It's about time, I don't love Finder it's just not as good as the rest of OSX

evripidis
Jun 1, 2011, 03:08 AM
Guys don't you get it?? There isn't any new capability for CUT in Lion. Lion doesn't have cut files action!!

The tip that @Hansr said just activate the Cut command from the menu bar. But it doesn't work!!!! Works again only in text.

When you activate it and execute the cmd+x, the file goes directly in trash.No cut!

You can activate it also in Leopard, Snow Leopard. Is going to be the same. Is not a new feature in Lion.

edc415
Jun 1, 2011, 03:29 AM

What about simple cut/paste of files and folders like in Windows using keyboard shortcuts? I use this every day. and it is about the only thing keeping me from switching to a mac. Is this feature finally going to be implemented in the next release? As beautiful as the apple hardware is, I find it so odd that this simple and essential feature isn't built into the OS natively.

maflynn
Jun 1, 2011, 05:37 AM
I've never seen anyone defend the omission, and I doubt we'll see anyone praise Apple for being innovative in implementing it either. Nobody cares that much.

There's a few thread here defending the lack of cut/paste for files.

The latter portion of my statement was tongue and cheek as many people were praising apple and calling it innovative when they added multitasking to iOS ;)

BLACKFRIDAY
Jun 1, 2011, 06:05 AM
There's a few thread here defending the lack of cut/paste for files.

The latter portion of my statement was tongue and cheek as many people were praising apple and calling it innovative when they added multitasking to iOS ;)

That wasn't innovating. That kind of multi-tasking prevaled in ancient times but yes, Apple brought real multi-tasking using less resources and power.

But seriously looking at your post history, you just sound butt-hurt.

roadbloc
Jun 1, 2011, 06:08 AM
That wasn't innovating. That kind of multi-tasking prevaled in ancient times but yes, Apple brought real multi-tasking using less resources and power.
It isn't real multitasking. It's time splicing. Been around for years.

As for Cut&Paste, it's about damn time.

Jagardn
Jun 2, 2011, 04:30 PM
Doesn't dragging files to another folder already move them? Isn't that what Cut/Paste does?:rolleyes:

hopejr
Jun 2, 2011, 05:40 PM
Doesn't dragging files to another folder already move them? Isn't that what Cut/Paste does?:rolleyes:

I'm sure you know that enough people don't want to have to reach for the mouse to move files. I rarely use a mouse in Finder, mainly navigating via the keyboard, but to move files, I have to use the mouse and the keyboard. I find it annoying.

kayut
Jul 9, 2011, 06:39 AM
Great news!

kayut
Jul 10, 2011, 05:31 PM
There is still no short cut for Cut N Past under Lion.

But there is a solution:

MoveAddict (http://kapeli.com/)

This is a great app which brings Cut N Past to Mac.

Check it out!

Patrick J
Jul 10, 2011, 05:54 PM
There is still no short cut for Cut N Past under Lion.

Of course there is

copy: cmd+c
paste: cmd+option+V (cuts original file)

Patrick J
Jul 10, 2011, 06:02 PM
That's copy and paste, no?

Nope, it cuts and pastes the file.

DandsM
Jul 10, 2011, 06:22 PM
GREAT NEWS!

cmd+option+V works like a charm here.:D

Of course there is

copy: cmd+c
paste: cmd+option+V (cuts original file)

YOU'RE RIGHT!

Steve's Barber
Jul 10, 2011, 06:54 PM
Doesn't for me. It does paste the file in the new location, but it doesn't remove (cut) the file from the original location. It copies and pastes. Is there something in Keyboard Shortcuts that I need to check?

GREAT NEWS!

cmd+option+V works like a charm here.:D

YOU'RE RIGHT!

I'm so freaking confused. Some of you guys have your keystrokes messed up.

Just tell me… is it possible to move a file in the Finder without having to drag the damn thing around with a mouse arrow?

If so I'll figure out how to do it. :)

DandsM
Jul 10, 2011, 08:12 PM
I'm so freaking confused. Some of you guys have your keystrokes messed up.

Just tell me… is it possible to move a file in the Finder without having to drag the damn thing around with a mouse arrow?

If so I'll figure out how to do it. :)

Yeah, you have to copy the file and then paste it in Lion. I'd say it is a "copy/cut-paste" ... :D

cmd+c then cmd+opt+v should do the trick.

fattire357
Jul 10, 2011, 08:16 PM
This can be turned on also in Snow Leopard, but after you execute the CMD+X the file goes directly to Trash. The same happens also in Lion. Nothing new about that.

Why in the world would they have the file go directly to the trash?

I can't tell you how many times I've lost track of what I was cutting-and-pasting in Windows, and thankfully if you mess up (like cutting a line of text before you finish your operation), Windows just places the files back where they were so at least they aren't deleted.

This is going to cause more problems than it solves... they should have just left it disabled.

fattire357
Jul 10, 2011, 08:17 PM

Right, but sometimes you don't want to open another finder window. It can be really convenient to cut, then navigate to the folder you want the file moved to, then paste.

iThinkergoiMac
Jul 10, 2011, 08:51 PM
This is going to cause more problems than it solves... they should have just left it disabled.

It is disabled, you have to manually enable it via the Terminal.

The cut/paste in Lion people are talking about isn't technically cut/paste. You copy the file (cmd-c) and then use the Move Here command (cmd-opt-v) which moves the file instead of copying it, removing it from its original location. It's essentially cut/paste, but not listed as cut/paste in the OS menus.

This seems a far better implementation to me. I never understood the cut/paste mentality to move files. In all other instances, cut removes the item being cut, deleting it if something else is copied/cut over it. Why does it act differently just because it's a file? Yes, I realize it's so you don't accidentally delete files, but the usage is inconsistent.

fattire357
Jul 10, 2011, 09:12 PM

The cut/paste in Lion people are talking about isn't technically cut/paste. You copy the file (cmd-c) and then use the Move Here command (cmd-opt-v) which moves the file instead of copying it, removing it from its original location. It's essentially cut/paste, but not listed as cut/paste in the OS menus.

This seems a far better implementation to me. I never understood the cut/paste mentality to move files. In all other instances, cut removes the item being cut, deleting it if something else is copied/cut over it. Why does it act differently just because it's a file? Yes, I realize it's so you don't accidentally delete files, but the usage is inconsistent.

Ahhh i get it. Yeah, that's how windows works for all practical purposes, just with different terminology.

RoelJuun
Jul 11, 2011, 11:02 AM
To me it is just copy the file to another location, and when completed the original file is deleted. The move command is not precisely like that, but somehow they never provided a shortcut. Ridiculous of course since it saves so much time.

kayut
Jul 12, 2011, 06:28 AM
There are shortcuts:

Copy and Past:
1. cmd+c
2. cmd + v

Cut and Past:
1. cmd+c
2. cmd+option+v

kasakka
Jul 12, 2011, 06:44 AM

Isn't text cut more like the anomaly? Pretty much any other thing you might cut is a file or some other non-text thing. So it marks it for cut and paste does the moving. Sometimes it would be nice if it worked like that for text too because if you cut/copy something else you lose the cutted text altogether.

Anyway, I much prefer the file stack in Path Finder. Just drop the files you want to use, browse to where you want them to go and drag and drop. Doesn't matter if you copy something in between.