PDA

View Full Version : Unable to install Mac Leopard on PowerPC G5

markifletch
Mar 1, 2011, 08:59 AM
Hi all,

I was recently handed a new work computer. I am fairly competent Mac user but I have very little developer knowledge so thought I could set up this second hand Mac with little difficulty.
I booted up and saw that it needed some spring cleaning. I was also given Leopard 10.5 so thought I would use this to format (erase) my mac harddrive.

First, am I able to do this in theory? (I'm pretty sure I can do this put I have the original installation disk too)

So I insert the 10.5 OS installation disk and every time I do I'm asked to 'restart and the computer will start the installation process' but it never does.
The mac just restarts, the disk opens in finder but no installation. I just go round in a circle.
Am I doing something wrong or is it system problem?
I think I should note that for some reason the Mac doesn't appear to save any preference changes I make (what's in the dock, size of icons in finder windows, etc.). When I noticed this, I thought new OS would solve this but now I think they maybe related.

Any help would be great,
Many thanks,

WGoins88
Mar 1, 2011, 09:04 AM
Try holding down option when starting the computer, and the boot disk option screen will come up asking what drive you want to boot from. Your Hard drive and Leopard DVD should be the 2 selections. Click the CD and then click the arrow to boot from it.

Tailpike1153
Mar 1, 2011, 09:08 AM
Nothing coming to mind right now. But you could try looking at:

http://macs.about.com/od/leopard105/ss/installleopard.htm

sorry, if I'm not much help. Haven't had my coffee yet.