Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scsjason

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2009
UK
Hi,
I am thinking of buying an ATV2 but had a few questions. Is it only possible to view videos/photos that are imported into itunes/iphoto, or can you just point it at a directory of AVIs or jpegs ? Do I need to re-encode my random videos in AVI or MKV format (720p) to something else ? Can you control the output resolution of the ATV2 (e.g. 720p, 480p etc.)?

thanks for any help

--
jason

DefBref

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Only stuff in itunes and what apple determines you can stream over the web (youtube, netflix, etc.)

Whatever you put in itunes has obviously to be compatible with itunes, so not mkv or avi.

Can't change the output, its set to 720p.

Jailbreak it and install XBMC and then you can do all the things that you want.

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
The ATV2 as stands is an iTunes turret. You get a small amount of MobileMe support, and a few ways out of the garden, such as YouTube, but essentially, it's just a front end for iTunes.

torndownunit

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2009
I jailbroke my ATV2 and have XBMC running. It works great... when it works.

The problem is I have the issue that a lot of people are having where the ATV2 has constant connect issues with Home Sharing. The same issues occur with XBMC. I was watching a movie last night, everything was working fantastic, then 3/4 of the way into the movie, it just stopped. ATV2 had lost all connection with my computers. No issue whatsoever with internet services though. It works fantastic with Netflix etc.

I was having these problems before the Jailbreak as well. I have literally tried every suggestion out there (I could make a list a page long). Some of the fixes work for a day at the most, then the problems return.

It's the first Apple product I have owned that I am seriously disappointed in. It didn't cost much, but all I can use it for with any consistency is to watch iTunes movies or Netflix. Seems a lot of others have the same issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.