PDA

View Full Version : Lion on 2006 Mini with Core2Duo CPU upgrade?

Exponent
Mar 1, 2011, 08:26 PM
Hi all-

My file / multimedia server is a 2006 Mac Mini, upgraded to a 2 GHz Core2Duo CPU. Between the newer CPU, 2 GB RAM, 3TB SATA external drive, and a PLEX-accelerating video card, it is still cranking along nicely in its file & multimedia server role.

Since Lion includes server for free, I'd really like to be able to install it on my FrankenMini. I know Lion won't install on a CoreDuo mini, but how about minis that were ORIGINALLY CoreDuo (or CoreSolo), but have since been upgraded?

Thanks for any insight you can give!

Dustman
Mar 2, 2011, 08:38 AM
When the Mac Minis were upgraded to Core 2 Duos, Apple essentially did the exact same thing you did so unless they go out of their way to block out first gen intel minis by their Model identifier or something crazy like that, I'd imagine it should work.

EDIT: This should go for the people out there who upgraded/want to upgrade their Core Duo white iMacs as well.

mrkramer
Mar 2, 2011, 08:41 AM
It should work. Apple may not let it work by default though, IIRC with PPC computers they didn't support CPU upgrades, but there were ways to get around it and install anyway so it will probably be the same.

tourada
Mar 2, 2011, 08:42 AM
All the developer seed note states is "Lion requires hardware with a Core 2 Duo processor or better". I imagine that an upgraded machine to a core 2 duo works. At least there is nothing that says it won't work.

PurrBall
Mar 2, 2011, 05:38 PM
If they added a block for specific models in the installer, that should be easy to remove.

Exponent
Mar 3, 2011, 02:03 AM
Thanks, all, for replying!

wamund
Mar 8, 2011, 04:49 AM
Hi Exponent,
I'm about to upgrade my Mini from Core Duo to a Core 2 Duo, just ordred a cpu from Ebay. I'd be happy to hear about your progress in installing Lion on your Mini. Will try to come back with my experiences...

/Mikael

iMacC2D
Mar 8, 2011, 06:53 PM
All the developer seed note states is "Lion requires hardware with a Core 2 Duo processor or better". I imagine that an upgraded machine to a core 2 duo works. At least there is nothing that says it won't work.

It won't work.

Apple's Mac OS X Lion installer, in the Developer Preview at least, has a list of known logic board identifiers. Even if the CPU has been changed, Lion will still be unable to identify the logic board of the machine and will fail on boot.

The solution is to follow the information in this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1107457), which should allow you to install the Lion Developer Preview on any machine fitted with a Core Duo, Core Solo or a machine that's been upgraded to a Core 2 Duo.

jackharvest
Sep 10, 2011, 09:29 AM
Can anyone confirm the core 2 duo swap + removal of logic board .plist check = 64-bit recognized core 2 duo runn'n imac?

nicklad
Sep 10, 2011, 11:01 AM
Can anyone confirm the core 2 duo swap + removal of logic board .plist check = 64-bit recognized core 2 duo runn'n imac?

Yes...

Install Lion on a drive connected to a supported Mac.
Delete the hidden "/System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist" file.

Move that drive to the Core 2 Duo updated Mini.

And you're done... :)