PDA

View Full Version : FYI: iPod shuffle VERY sensitive to moisture/sweat

Rower_CPU
Feb 15, 2005, 04:30 PM
I thought I'd post this as an FYI for anyone who already has/is planning to get an iPod shuffle (iPs) for exercising with.

I got my 1gig iPs a couple weeks ago and have used it a couple of times - one bike ride and one run. During the bike ride it was in my camelbak and worked fine. During my run, however, it was stuck carrying it tucked into my shorts waistband since none of the accessories are really available yet. Long story short, at the end of the run when I tried to get it out of hold mode it wouldn't cooperate so I just turned it off - since then it hasn't worked at all.

No computer I plug it into (PC or Mac) recognizes it as a valid device. It won't play any music either. It's simply dead. I took it into my local Apple Store and the genius there verified this and took care of ordering a replacement - which will take some time since they're in such short supply.

Moral of the story: protect your iPs

Whether it's due to poor construction or insufficiently specific instructions from Apple on how NOT to use the iPs, there are definite issues with its waterproofness.

Threads on Apple's Support boards:
Rust! (http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?128@263.AoKwaVUeQ7E.3@.68a6a7e9)
Silicon "condom" for iPs? (http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?128@263.AoKwaVUeQ7E.4@.68a6994d)
can running ruin your shuffle? (http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?128@263.AoKwaVUeQ7E.5@.68a668b7)
Shuffle not working & other complaints (http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?128@263.AoKwaVUeQ7E.6@.68a60764)
iPod Shuffle - water/sweat resistant? (http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?128@263.AoKwaVUeQ7E.23697@.68a4b484)
I see that it is not waterproof, how resistan (http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?128@263.AoKwaVUeQ7E.7@.68a47588)

Daveway
Feb 15, 2005, 04:37 PM
Wow. How could water get in anywhere besides the headphone jack? It would be extremely difficult for water to get in from the USB side as there is a cap.
That thing must have been swimming in water. :confused:

Rower_CPU
Feb 15, 2005, 04:45 PM
From what I've gleaned on Apple's boards, the power switch is a possible entry point. Since the switch was up against my body (iPs tucked into my waistband) I assume that's how it got in there.

I'm a sweaty guy, but I wouldn't classify it as "swimming". ;)

maya
Feb 15, 2005, 04:52 PM
From what I've gleaned on Apple's boards, the power switch is a possible entry point. Since the switch was up against my body (iPs tucked into my waistband) I assume that's how it got in there.

I'm a sweaty guy, but I wouldn't classify it as "swimming". ;)

It got through the switch, a thin rubber gasket is needed.

Same issue with the iPod mini and the crackling sound when the area near the headphone was squeezed. :)

Apple needs to test they hardware for durability. :)

livingfortoday
Feb 15, 2005, 07:00 PM
Maybe you got unlucky with yours, though, because I have the 512MB version, and I bike to school and back every day with it inside my shirt, and I jog every day with it either in my hand or in my shorts, and so far I've had no problems. It has gotten kinda dinged up, so I'll probably be looking into a case for it, or an armband, but it still works fine.

maya
Feb 15, 2005, 07:07 PM
Maybe you got unlucky with yours, though, because I have the 512MB version, and I bike to school and back every day with it inside my shirt, and I jog every day with it either in my hand or in my shorts, and so far I've had no problems. It has gotten kinda dinged up, so I'll probably be looking into a case for it, or an armband, but it still works fine.

Has anyone gotten to the point that they shuffle is taking a tint or shade of they skin tone, as white and clear materials often get when worn on skin with sweat involved.

cyanide
Feb 15, 2005, 07:56 PM
i dropped my shuffle in a three inch deep puddle while it was on, and no i havent got any kind of case, and it still works awesome. lol. that was about two weeks ago. hmph.

mkrishnan
Feb 15, 2005, 08:07 PM
Wow... :( This is surprising, considering I can run 15 miles with my 3G iPod 15GB clutched in my bare hand, and none of the moisture bothers it. :mad:

And I kinda want a Shuffle for running and kayaking too.... :(

0s and 1s
Feb 16, 2005, 12:55 AM
Wow... :( This is surprising, considering I can run 15 miles with my 3G iPod 15GB clutched in my bare hand, and none of the moisture bothers it.

Do your hands sweat? If so, how much?

Lacero
Feb 16, 2005, 01:26 AM
Hopefully the next revision we'll see a completely waterproof version where the controls are not glued on and there are no entry points for water and debris.

dejo
Feb 16, 2005, 01:30 AM
Maybe the iPod shuffle Sport Case (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=M9758G/A) is the answer for this?...

john1123
Feb 16, 2005, 04:20 AM
Has anyone gotten to the point that they shuffle is taking a tint or shade of they skin tone, as white and clear materials often get when worn on skin with sweat involved.

Yes, the power and battery check button on the back are turning slightly yellow, brown on mine already :eek:

john1123
Feb 16, 2005, 04:21 AM
Maybe the iPod shuffle Sport Case (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=M9758G/A) is the answer for this?...

hmm... shipping: 5-7 weeks :eek: :rolleyes:

iGary
Feb 16, 2005, 05:12 AM
Thanks for the post. I've been running several times with mine myself, and have thought the back switch would be a likely entry point for moisture.

I've been using mine on the lanyard, so it hasn't got soaked yet, but that will change once the weather warms up. I'll probably end up either getting the sports case, or putting it in a Ziploc sandwich bag in my running belt.

Was hoping to not have to go through any of that, but at least I know.

Thanks again. :)

Santaduck
Feb 16, 2005, 05:13 AM
hmmm I recommend posting this to macfixit.com, and then you'll see in short order whether other users are also experiencing the same problem. You might also check Apple's official support forums for evidence of people experiencing the same issue-- I'd really be curious if it's a general design fault, or if you were simply unlucky-- all that dancing around in those commercials seems to imply some sweat-proof performance to me :)

Lacero
Feb 16, 2005, 05:26 AM
Do you wear the shuffle with the lanyard around your neck while running? Doesn't it flop all over the place? With my mini, I run my ear bud wires underneath my shirt and have my mini clipped to my shorts. This prevents the wires from tangling with my arms. I wonder how runners with shuffles cope with this?

mkrishnan
Feb 16, 2005, 07:49 AM
Do your hands sweat? If so, how much?

In fifteen miles, they don't stay dry. ;) But not gallons. I dunno if it'd be worse or better than being tucked in a waistband (which seems painful to me). When I go kayaking, though, I tuck my iPod into my lifevest, between my t-shirt and my vest, and so it stays pretty dry in there.

iGary
Feb 16, 2005, 08:54 AM
Do you wear the shuffle with the lanyard around your neck while running? Doesn't it flop all over the place? With my mini, I run my ear bud wires underneath my shirt and have my mini clipped to my shorts. This prevents the wires from tangling with my arms. I wonder how runners with shuffles cope with this?

I don't have a problem with tangling at all. Unless it's windy (the shuffle is so light a good wind will blow it around to the side, it just bounces upd and down a bit, but I have a gentle stride, so I've been told).

Ran 16 miles with mine last weekend with no worries, but had it been August, It would have gotten soaked. Gonna have to look into some protection for it, which unfortunately adds to the weight. :(

Rower_CPU
Feb 16, 2005, 10:33 AM
hmm... shipping: 5-7 weeks :eek: :rolleyes:

Exactly.

Santaduck-
Take a look at the links in my first post - those are discussions on Apple's support forums. ;)

iGary
Feb 16, 2005, 10:36 AM
I went ahead and ordered the sport case hoping that they get their crap together and get them out sooner....I just like having it around my neck.

Got tired of the armband thing and I have 5 marathons this year - training and these races is the exact reason I bought t his thing. ;)

Bond
Jun 1, 2005, 07:03 PM
I ran 10K this evening and now my shuffle is toast.

Around the half way mark the track I was listening to kept on cutting out and I had to hit play to resume. I thought it was a badly encoded track but within a mile it was history.

Wish I'd read this thread first! :D

I've kept it in a warm place for four hours hours but no signs of life.

Even pinged the switch cover off (be careful and do in the off position.) and there was no apparent ingress through there.

It was cool for the week I owned it!

I'm gonna take it back to the apple store and see what they say.

Rower_CPU
Jun 1, 2005, 08:49 PM
Sorry to hear that, Bond. I'd suggest getting a sport case for your replacement like I did. :)

barneygumble
Jun 1, 2005, 10:19 PM
I think i wil be carefull when riding my bike from now on, sorry to hear about the failures experianced in this thread. Is sweat covered under warrenty given that it could be considered normal use? :confused:

Amarex
Jun 23, 2005, 05:39 PM
That's odd, because my shuffle survived a 5-minute accidental swim and nothing happened to it; it sounds exactly the same. Sorry to hear about the damages. I'm getting a waterproof case for mine.

JonMaker
Jun 23, 2005, 11:03 PM
I bought my iPs because I figured it would be (relatively) indestructable.

So far, it has been. My iPs lives in my pocket, along with pens pencils and the usual pocket fodder. It has survived a nasty fall onto a concrete floor (while playing) and prolonged direct exposure to sunlight. I'm no sadist: it was all accidental. :o

I haven't tried exposure to moisture yet :p and I'll try not to.

WildCowboy
Jun 23, 2005, 11:31 PM
I had a temporary problem with my Shuffle after skiing...wouldn't turn on at all for a day or two. I had been carrying it in my shell jacket...waterproof exterior, but mesh on the inside. It wasn't terribly damp in there, but I assume it was a moisture problem.

I was just about to take it to the Apple Store when it magically started working again. No problems since then...about four months. (Knock on wood.)

Counterfit
Jun 24, 2005, 12:10 AM
I'm just curious as to why anyone thinks it's water resistant in the least. :confused:

Sharewaredemon
Jun 24, 2005, 07:24 AM
I just got my shuffle and I've been skating with it at the local skateboard (skateboarding) but it's in my pocket so I don't think I have to worry about there being too much moisture in there.

This is a good thing to know though.

You'd think the arm band would be a bad idea considering it's right up against your body and it's meant for exercising.

stagga
May 15, 2006, 05:36 PM
I had a temporary problem with my Shuffle after skiing...wouldn't turn on at all for a day or two. I had been carrying it in my shell jacket...waterproof exterior, but mesh on the inside. It wasn't terribly damp in there, but I assume it was a moisture problem.

I was just about to take it to the Apple Store when it magically started working again. No problems since then...about four months. (Knock on wood.)

Yep, similar problem here. I had my shuffle round my neck under my shirt at the gym (gross I know :D ) when it cut out. At first I thought it was the battery but when I plugged it in the USB the light didn't come on. Then after about an hour of sitting in the port it started charging and itunes started up. I let it charge for a few hours and tried it but it wouldn't play. Tried again next day and found that it would play tunes but would pause itself after 5 seconds. Tried it again the following day as I was about to take it back to the shop and found it worked perfectly again.

Have now ordered a case!

aksmax
May 15, 2006, 11:20 PM
Just to contrast...I had a very scary episode with my nano. I opened my washing machine, to discover my nano had been in my pocket and gone through an entire wash cycle!!!! After letting it dry for the day, the little guy is 100% functional.....and squeeky clean!

MacBass
May 16, 2006, 07:51 AM
This makes me glad that I don't exercise! :p

No, I bike to school with my 512 MB shuffle, and I'm a pretty sweaty guy. Granted, I have a silicone case for it by Speck, which is working pretty well.