PDA

View Full Version : Job's while we wait

puppyflightclub
Mar 2, 2011, 10:02 AM
what do some of you guys do? I have class at 10, but i'm gonna ask my girlfriend to take my essay and turn it in, while i watch the keynote and get the credit card ready.

are some of you guys at work and going to try to secretly watch the updates or is it in your jobs to work with the web?

[also started this thread because im looking for career ideas, im currently a bio major looking towards dental school]

lilj4425
Mar 2, 2011, 10:03 AM
College student and work at local minor league baseball park.

Apple Store located 20 minutes from here.

Mattstkc
Mar 2, 2011, 10:04 AM
cubical dweller. Have a few pre-typed Apple gift cards at the ready for copy paste and will prob hardly get any work done today. Meh, I was extra productive yesterday..

nooaah
Mar 2, 2011, 10:04 AM
I'm in between drug studies right now so I'm sitting in my office refreshing like a mad man. Just in time for my q1 bonus. :D

ozred
Mar 2, 2011, 10:05 AM
Jobs has left the building
Can you say Elvis ?

GoCubsGo
I'm at work, I don't "secretly" need to do anything but I won't likely watch. I can't help you with a career path but you should note that shirking your responsibilities so you can stay home and watch a keynote seems rather irresponsible. It is just a keynote and frankly, I personally don't see how moving aside everything else just to get the most up to date tech news is at all necessary. That is just me and I'm old so that could potentially be why our views vary.

Signed,
Party Pooper

nburwell
I work in finance, so I'll be periodically checking the Keynote updates via Engadget.

puppyflightclub
Mar 2, 2011, 10:06 AM
^drug studies?

pharmaceutical field? sarcasm? literally on drugs?

nooaah
I'm in between drug studies right now so I'm sitting in my office refreshing like a mad man. Just in time for my q1 bonus. :D

Oops. I help manage human pharmaceutical drug studies. I'm the one who finds all of those side effects you see on your prescription label. :)

ECUpirate44
Astronomy ends at 11:50, then headed up to my dorm to read the forums until 1. Then hoping for a live stream! If not, following Engadget.

alex2792
Mar 2, 2011, 10:07 AM
Gonna follow engadget liveblog from my phone at work.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

puppyflightclub
Mar 2, 2011, 10:07 AM
I'm at work, I don't "secretly" need to do anything but I won't likely watch. I can't help you with a career path but you should note that shirking your responsibilities so you can stay home and watch a keynote seems rather irresponsible. It is just a keynote and frankly, I personally don't see how moving aside everything else just to get the most up to date tech news is at all necessary. That is just me and I'm old so that could potentially be why our views vary.

Signed,
Party Pooper

wellllllll obviously it is, my mother is screaming in my hear so loud right now if she knew, its only english class, i just need it to transfer im a fairly well essay writer, its not that serious, and let me reiterate im a bio major, im not missing my molecular biology class - more relevant and informative, for the keynote.

nice on being my big macrumors sister tho. +1

nooaah
Mar 2, 2011, 10:08 AM
^drug studies?

pharmaceutical field? sarcasm? literally on drugs?

Haha I wish regarding the latter. I'm an iPad and future MB Air user because my weekday life consists of flying from city to city to evaluate studies for the pharma companies and FDA. Traveling light is key.

puppyflightclub
Mar 2, 2011, 10:08 AM
Oops. I help manage human pharmaceutical drug studies. I'm the one who finds all of those side effects you see on your prescription label. :)

thats dopeeee, so some part of your lifetime you took OCHEM?

sap12690
Mar 2, 2011, 10:09 AM
I didnt go to my 3 classes that i had today..... but its cause im sick. Sitting infront of my iMAC all day :):apple:

puppyflightclub
Mar 2, 2011, 10:09 AM
I didnt go to my 3 classes that i had today..... but its cause im sick. Sitting infront of my iMAC all day :):apple:

whoa @ 3

CrAkD
Mar 2, 2011, 10:10 AM
I manage a small store. So I'll be rocking the engadget live blog till I leave here at 4. Then I'll go home and watch the video of the whole keynote.

darngooddesign
Mar 2, 2011, 10:13 AM
ActionScript3 dev for a legal graphics/prese3ntation company.

ngenerator
Mar 2, 2011, 10:14 AM
+1 for cubicle dweller (Finance). I'll probably check the Engadget updates on my lunch, we'll see how it goes. I'm not upgrading from my iPad1,1, but looking forward to seeing what you all will be enjoying within the next few weeks :)

STEVESKI07
Mar 2, 2011, 10:15 AM
Web Developer, so I doubt I'll be the only person at my company following the keynote. My company's pretty relaxed so as long as I get my work done and do a good job they could care less what I do (how every company should be).

9Speed
Mar 2, 2011, 10:26 AM
wellllllll obviously it is, my mother is screaming in my hear so loud right now if she knew, its only english class, i just need it to transfer im a fairly well essay writer, its not that serious, and let me reiterate im a bio major, im not missing my molecular biology class - more relevant and informative, for the keynote.

nice on being my big macrumors sister tho. +1

One of the biggest problem areas I see in my bio students is poor grammar and spelling. Perhaps you should spend more time in your English class...

2 Owls
Mar 2, 2011, 10:30 AM
While waiting here today I've removed all the old sealant from one of my showers and resealed it, nice job too :D and a bit of Killzone 3.

ngenerator
Mar 2, 2011, 10:30 AM
One of the biggest problem areas I see in my bio students is poor grammar and spelling. Perhaps you should spend more time in your English class...

<Insert Ron Burgundy-style "HEYOOOOO" here>

puppyflightclub
Mar 2, 2011, 10:32 AM

c'mon i know what contractions are, this is macrumors, im not here to demonstrate my skill in written communication.

i can however draw and construct polymer and glucose molecules and explain the process of cellular respiration and all affiliated.

puppyflightclub
Mar 2, 2011, 10:33 AM
while waiting here today i've removed all the old sealant from one of my showers and resealed it, nice job too :d and a bit of killzone 3.

kz3 ftw

STEVESKI07
Mar 2, 2011, 10:35 AM
i can however draw and construct polymer and glucose molecules and explain the process of cellular respiration and all affiliated.

Please don't! I switched out of my Science major in college for a reason! Haha

9Speed
Mar 2, 2011, 10:36 AM
c'mon i know what contractions are, this is macrumors, im not here to demonstrate my skill in written communication.

OK... I'm not trying to be a jerk. However, I get a lot of student requests asking me to read over their med school essays, lab reports etc and, quite frankly, I want to burst into tears half the time.

Practice good grammar, whether writing a lab report or communicating with your fellow humans on a message board... I promise it will only help you look (and act) more professional in the end.

puppyflightclub
Mar 2, 2011, 10:38 AM
OK... I'm not trying to be a jerk. However, I get a lot of student requests asking me to read over their med school essays, lab reports etc and, quite frankly, I want to burst into tears half the time.

Practice good grammar, whether writing a lab report or trying to communicate with your fellow humans on a message board... I promise it will only help you look more professional in the end.

actually very good advice.

puppyflightclub
Mar 2, 2011, 10:39 AM
Please don't! I switched out of my Science major in college for a reason! Haha

science ---> web developing?

sportsfrk214
Mar 2, 2011, 10:41 AM
I'm a college student and I'm currently in a 5 hour break between classes. I'll be watching the live blogging of the keynote from the cafeteria and I have my credit card and gift cards ready! Only problem is that I have class from 3-5 and it's a test, so I'm cut off from pre-ordering if it begins during the window. Luckily I have a best friend who I have as my plan B who will order it for me. Stressful but exciting day!

STEVESKI07
Mar 2, 2011, 10:41 AM
science ---> web developing?

Well it was a major called Integrated Science and Technology. I enjoyed Physics in high school so I figured I'd like to go the technology route of Science, but after taking Chemistry and Biology, I soon realized that it was more science then technology and my brain doesn't work that way. I'm not good at memorizing things, I'm just very good at logical thinking (coding).

puppyflightclub
Mar 2, 2011, 10:42 AM
I'm a college student and I'm currently in a 5 hour break between classes. I'll be watching the live blogging of the keynote from the cafeteria and I have my credit card and gift cards ready! Only problem is that I have class from 3-5 and it's a test, so I'm cut off from pre-ordering if it begins during the window. Luckily I have a best friend who I have as my plan B who will order it for me. Stressful but exciting day!

gotta appreciate that best friend.

what is your major?

9Speed
Mar 2, 2011, 10:44 AM
actually very good advice.

What is your major? I know you said bio, but is it straight up bio, or biochem, physiology, molecular biology etc?

puppyflightclub
Mar 2, 2011, 10:45 AM
Well it was a major called Integrated Science and Technology. I enjoyed Physics in high school so I figured I'd like to go the technology route of Science, but after taking Chemistry and Biology, I soon realized that it was more science then technology and my brain doesn't work that way. I'm not good at memorizing things, I'm just very good at logical thinking (coding).

hmmmmm..sounds....self-familiar.

well biology to me tho isn't memorizing, people say anatomy is, but my molecular biology class is all comprehensive, you have to know each little thing, from the protein in your hair, to how the protein is synthesized to make the hair, to what makes up the protein. its like a train of knowing how to end at a pathway and whats in the pathway and what begins the pathway and what sparks that thing that makes the pathway...if you know what i mean.

i am actually still considering going the computer route, but people say all the jobs are going overseas.

sportsfrk214
Mar 2, 2011, 11:03 AM
gotta appreciate that best friend.

what is your major?

I am a pharmacy major.

puppyflightclub
Mar 2, 2011, 11:07 AM
I am a pharmacy major.

majoring in a tradition or non trad field to go into pharmacy?

sportsfrk214
Mar 2, 2011, 11:16 AM
majoring in a tradition or non trad field to go into pharmacy?

No just pharmacy school. It's a 6 year PharmD program, and upon graduation I need to take series of exams, and if I pass them all I'll be licensed to practice as a pharmacist.

Avicenna
Mar 2, 2011, 11:25 AM
Skipping software construction and computer architecture II just for this :D

panzer06
Mar 2, 2011, 11:27 AM
Technology consulting. Unfortunately I have a con call right when it starts. I'll try to keep the feed up on the other screen.

Good luck to everyone buying today. I might join you.

Cheers,

GFLPraxis
Mar 2, 2011, 11:33 AM

On the internet, in the absence of visible race, body types, builds, expressions, and voice, people have only one thing with which to judge you by; how you type.

Write like a twelve year old, be prepared to be perceived as one.

puppyflightclub
Mar 2, 2011, 11:34 AM
No just pharmacy school. It's a 6 year PharmD program, and upon graduation I need to take series of exams, and if I pass them all I'll be licensed to practice as a pharmacist.

oh were you accepted to pre-pharmacy school straight out of highshcool?

sportsfrk214
Mar 2, 2011, 11:35 AM
oh were you accepted to pre-pharmacy school straight out of highshcool?

Yes it's a 6 year program that you're a part of on Day 1 of college, you need to be accepted from high school. Of course 90% of my classes the first year and a half are general liberal arts classes, but I'm still a part of the program and do take preliminary pharmacy classes.

amammad
Mar 2, 2011, 11:36 AM
I'm at work, I don't "secretly" need to do anything but I won't likely watch. I can't help you with a career path but you should note that shirking your responsibilities so you can stay home and watch a keynote seems rather irresponsible.

Jeez. Chill out! He asked a question, he didn't ask for a morality lesson.

Bobby Corwen
Mar 2, 2011, 11:39 AM
what do some of you guys do? I have class at 10, but i'm gonna ask my girlfriend to take my essay and turn it in, while i watch the keynote and get the credit card ready.

are some of you guys at work and going to try to secretly watch the updates or is it in your jobs to work with the web?

[also started this thread because im looking for career ideas, im currently a bio major looking towards dental school]

Dont work for money.

Have money work for you.

Drop out of college right now and you still have hope...

colmaclean
Mar 2, 2011, 11:46 AM
Sitting at work, going to watch the show on my iPad over the office wifi. :)

Kyotoma
Mar 2, 2011, 11:48 AM
Manager, Product Analysis and Support, currently in school for Computer Engineering.

I'm at work following PCMag.com's live blog.