PDA

View Full Version : Versions and app resume

vmachiel
Mar 2, 2011, 10:12 AM
Ok sorry if this has been discussed before, but there are so many posts:)

Anyway: Won't the versions feature take up way to much disk space? I mean to keep a version every time I add a paragraph to one of my school assignments seems like a waste of space..

and also, since app now "freeze" there state instead of quitting, is there a way to not do that. So that when I press cmd+q the app really quits and starts up from a beginning state. Or is this not an option? Thanks

Mal
Mar 2, 2011, 12:04 PM
Ok sorry if this has been discussed before, but there are so many posts:)

Anyway: Won't the versions feature take up way to much disk space? I mean to keep a version every time I add a paragraph to one of my school assignments seems like a waste of space..

and also, since app now "freeze" there state instead of quitting, is there a way to not do that. So that when I press cmd+q the app really quits and starts up from a beginning state. Or is this not an option? Thanks

Versions uses delta updates, so it just basically tracks changes, but doesn't store a whole new copy of the file each time.

Also, from what I've seen, you can choose to quit an app without saving state, but I'm not sure how that was triggered.

jW

vmachiel
Mar 3, 2011, 03:29 AM
Ok thanks!

Steve Ballmer
Mar 3, 2011, 04:59 AM
No, quitting an app does Auto Save. Closing a window, though, prompts you to save, and I believe that can be overridden to not save any copy.