Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dejaentendu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Hello, I was just surfing the web on my PowerBook G4 a little while ago, left for a minute, then came back to a black screen. It still looked like the screen was on, but it was black. I couldn't get any response from the keyboard or trackpad, so I tried to restart it (using ctrl + command + the power button) and nothing happened. I held down the power button to see if it would turn off so I could then restart it, but it just turned off and will not turn back on anymore.

The caps lock key lights up on the keyboard when I press it, but the num lock key only lights up when I press F5. Also, it somewhat smells like something is burning (very faintly, but definitely noticeably) when I sniff the vents. I found a similar topic by searching the forums, and it looks like that person had send their notebook back to Apple.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems? I do not have AppleCare Protection, so could this be really bad? After skimming the 1-year warranty information, it seems as though I should be able to get it fixed. Is this incorrect?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
dejaentendu said:
Hello, I was just surfing the web on my PowerBook G4 a little while ago, left for a minute, then came back to a black screen. It still looked like the screen was on, but it was black. I couldn't get any response from the keyboard or trackpad, so I tried to restart it (using ctrl + command + the power button) and nothing happened. I held down the power button to see if it would turn off so I could then restart it, but it just turned off and will not turn back on anymore.

The caps lock key lights up on the keyboard when I press it, but the num lock key only lights up when I press F5. Also, it somewhat smells like something is burning (very faintly, but definitely noticeably) when I sniff the vents. I found a similar topic by searching the forums, and it looks like that person had send their notebook back to Apple.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems? I do not have AppleCare Protection, so could this be really bad? After skimming the 1-year warranty information, it seems as though I should be able to get it fixed. Is this incorrect?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

if you have had it for less than 1 year.. yes it should be fixed. Call applecare and they will guide you through the process.

dejaentendu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
I just got off the phone with Apple and the woman told me that I either needed to pay for AppleCare or pay the per-incident fee of $49 before they could determine over the phone whether or not they'll send me a box. Or, I can take it to an authorized service provider, where they can determine it for possibly no fee.

So I guess I'll be heading to "The Macshac" ASAP...

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
dejaentendu said:
I just got off the phone with Apple and the woman told me that I either needed to pay for AppleCare or pay the per-incident fee of $49 before they could determine over the phone whether or not they'll send me a box. Or, I can take it to an authorized service provider, where they can determine it for possibly no fee.

So I guess I'll be heading to "The Macshac" ASAP...

yea that always pissed me off. i had a problem (related to the black screen upon return from sleep that was fixed in 10.3.8) and they refused to help me before taking $50 from me.. even though i have applecare for one year.. sorry, i think apple's tech support blows big time in this department. I'm sorry but I don't pay $1800 for a laptop just to have them skimp their way around supporting the problems it might have. IBM doesn't do this, HP doesn't do this, Dell doesn't do this... so why apple? something they need to fix for sure, you tell me i have to pay $50 up front to talk to you, which depending on the issue might not even be refunded... assuming it gets fixed... or travel 90 minutes to the nearest applestore... :rolleyes: crappy support.. that's what i call that.

dejaentendu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
My problem has been fixed, but I figured I'd post in case anyone with a similar problem happens to find this topic when searching the forums.

It turned out that the logic board needed to be replaced, whatever that means. I took it to a local authorized repair center, and two days later, they called me back and said that it had already been repaired by Apple and was ready for pickup. So the service was pretty speedy and was completely covered under the one-year warranty after all. All my data was left intact, but I'll now be making frequent backups just in case...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.