Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShockWaver95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
How come the right side of my emac screen is green and dimmer? The left side and middle side is brighter and clearer, but as you move to the right side, its gets greener and dimmer/duller. Also my other issue is that whenever my speakers are medium/loud, my screen gets wavy kinda like touching your finger on an LCD screen, exept mine is bigger and in the corners more. The right corner waves move up, and the left corner waves move down. Its weird. But the other issue, why would the right corner of the moniter be green and dull/dimmer?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Could be the screen is just old. It's possible a de-gaussing could bring it back.

I don't know your setup, but speakers have magnets in them and magnets in proximity to a CRT can affect it...often in a permanent way. Other devices emitting an electromagnetic field can also disturb a CRT.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
hmm yes ok what you descrbe as waves , are they only direct in the bottom corners , and you got high resolution 1280x960 and the waves appear when listening music or anything that makes noise , these are normal in eMac's , turn down the volume or reduce resolution and the wavy things go away

the dimmed green is normally caused by a magnet that is to close , or anything that is producing a magnetic field (microwave, mobile phone ..to many things to list ), does not have to be a speaker

what is surprising me is the only green color ,

usually older eMac's can create rainbow colors i think left side red right green and top a blueish color if i remember that right , but that is caused by the eMac not demagnetizing itself at startup , a couple of shut downs wait 15 minutes and restart... sometimes helps the crt Mac's to remember what they are supposed to do at startup , making a not loud "klack" sound from the back which is demagnetizing the crt and the colors return back to normal ,
if that doesnt help then you could open the eMac there are on the left side inside near the bottom of the crt 2 plastic screw type things where you can adjust the brightness , sharpness and color of the crt , be careful and disconnect it from mains and still never touch anything on the crt itself , dont worry i just want to warn you these crt's like to discharge on contact with several thousand volts, lucky not many ampere , you will never forget again if you survive it that is :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ShockWaver95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
hmm yes ok what you descrbe as waves , are they only direct in the bottom corners , and you got high resolution 1280x960 and the waves appear when listening music or anything that makes noise , these are normal in eMac's , turn down the volume or reduce resolution and the wavy things go away

the dimmed green is normally caused by a magnet that is to close , or anything that is producing a magnetic field (microwave, mobile phone ..to many things to list ), does not have to be a speaker

usually older eMac's can create rainbow colors i think left side red right green and top a blueish color if i remember that right , but that is caused by the eMac not demagnetizing itself at startup , a couple of shut downs wait 15 minutes and restart... sometimes helps the crt Mac's to remember what they are supposed to do at startup , making a not loud "klack" sound from the back which is demagnetizing the crt and the colors return back to normal ,
if that doesnt help then you could open the eMac there are on the left side inside near the bottom of the crt 2 plastic screw type things where you can adjust the brightness , sharpness and color of the crt , be careful and disconnect it from mains and still never touch anything on the crt itself , dont worry i just want to warn you these crt's like to discharge on contact with several thousand volts, lucky not many ampere , you will never forget again if you survive it that is :rolleyes:

Wow you know alot of things! I am not opening the thing LOL But yeah If I cook something in the microwave, I get the shaky screen also. & about the greenish color on the right side. Its weird its almost like as you go right it gets darker like no brightness is hitting the spot.

ShockWaver95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010

My resolution is actually 1152 x 864, and the wavy is not just on corners but in the middle to, like the left side middle, when its on right side its more towards the corner. The left/middle gets it worse tho.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
very odd resolution , but can you connect a vga monitor to rule out the gpu , as i believe the crt is on its way into the nirvana

ShockWaver95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
very odd resolution , but can you connect a vga monitor to rule out the gpu , as i believe the crt is on its way into the nirvana

So I guess this is it for my computer. The screen will just die? I mean the green/darkness on the right doesn't go away and the wavy with the speakers at high volumes only does it if the speaker makes a mid to deep sound.

ShockWaver95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
So I guess this is it for my computer. The screen will just die? I mean the green/darkness on the right doesn't go away and the wavy with the speakers at high volumes only does it if the speaker makes a mid to deep sound.

Its weird because also where the greenish/dimmness is, I see what I can't really explain, but like stretched out pixels on the right side of the screen. Kinda like when you set the color in systems preferences to hundreds, and it looks all grainy. thats only the right side of my screen tho, maybe a tiny bit on the left with a yellowish color.

SimonUK5

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2010
Test on another Screen via VGA, if it is fine, then its the CRT thats going to die, Emacs are getting on with age, so i wouldn't think it strange if the Display did die.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.