PDA

View Full Version : After threads are closed.......

killuminati
Feb 15, 2005, 06:34 PM
After a thread is locked up or deleted it should be taken off the main page. I find it annoying when I often click a thread and its been locked up.

stoid
Feb 15, 2005, 06:37 PM
I browse primarily forum side, so I don't have the same problem though I can understand how it might be irritating. From the forum, those threads have a little lock icon next to them. So even if they can't be removed from the main page, maybe a little notifier next to them that they are closed might be nice.

killuminati
Feb 15, 2005, 06:39 PM
So even if they can't be removed from the main page, maybe a little notifier next to them that they are closed might be nice.

Yea, something like that would be just as good.

maya
Feb 15, 2005, 06:40 PM
After a thread is locked up or deleted it should be taken off the main page. I find it annoying when I often click a thread and its been locked up.

If a thread is locked don't click the thread. You can tell if a thread is locked by the icon on your left. ;) :)

Not sure if you knew that. :)

killuminati
Feb 15, 2005, 06:41 PM
If a thread is locked don't click the thread. You can tell if a thread is locked by the icon on your left. ;) :)

Not sure if you knew that. :)

Yes I did know that but if you are just looking on the right side of the main page it doesnt show you those icons.

Mr. Anderson
Feb 15, 2005, 06:46 PM
We very rarely just close threads now, if its a problem thread its going to the wasteland.

Are there any threads you're worried about in particular?

D

killuminati
Feb 15, 2005, 06:48 PM
We very rarely just close threads now, if its a problem thread its going to the wasteland.

D

Well it happens quite frequently to me. The one that happened a couple minutes ago that made me write this was something about avatars on the site forum.

Veldek
Feb 16, 2005, 02:23 AM
I have to second this wish. These whole spam threads about free anythings always get closed but remain on the front page, for example.

angelneo
Feb 16, 2005, 03:49 AM
It might be tough to implement this I think. Since the main page are not "live" pages but rather updated on a regularly basis of about perhaps every few minutes.

or perhaps, they can do a force refresh each time they close a thread.

Veldek
Feb 16, 2005, 04:18 AM
It might be tough to implement this I think. Since the main page are not "live" pages but rather updated on a regularly basis of about perhaps every few minutes.

or perhaps, they can do a force refresh each time they close a thread.Itís not just that I think. The main page gets updated and these closed threads go down the line when posts are made in other threads, but they donít disappear, although theyíre closed.

killuminati
Feb 16, 2005, 09:50 AM
Itís not just that I think. The main page gets updated and these closed threads go down the line when posts are made in other threads, but they donít disappear, although theyíre closed.

Yea, that seems to be whats happening.

angelneo
Feb 16, 2005, 10:53 AM
Itís not just that I think. The main page gets updated and these closed threads go down the line when posts are made in other threads, but they donít disappear, although theyíre closed.You are right... I guess we can only wait for arn to fix this bug

PlaceofDis
Feb 16, 2005, 10:58 AM
You are right... I guess we can only wait for arn to fix this bug

i wouldnt say its a bug, its just that the front page gets refreshed slower than the forums, because of the way the database is set up. if you really want to avoid closed threads browse from the forums, or be sure to check when you first open the page.

wordmunger
Feb 16, 2005, 11:50 AM
Here's a suggestion: If you close a thread because it's a duplicate, include a link in the thread itself so we know where to look for additional comments on the thread topic. I just experienced this with the tom's hardware thread. I found the right thread with the "search" feature, but it would have been nice just to click on the link.

PlaceofDis
Feb 16, 2005, 12:22 PM
Here's a suggestion: If you close a thread because it's a duplicate, include a link in the thread itself so we know where to look for additional comments on the thread topic. I just experienced this with the tom's hardware thread. I found the right thread with the "search" feature, but it would have been nice just to click on the link.

there was a link in that thread when i looked at it, they must have added it, the gods must have heard you, but its a good idea for sure, makes sure we know why the thread was closed and where we can go and talk about it

wordmunger
Feb 16, 2005, 01:53 PM
there was a link in that thread when i looked at it, they must have added it, the gods must have heard you, but its a good idea for sure, makes sure we know why the thread was closed and where we can go and talk about it
Wow... talk about service! The gods heard me six minutes before I made my post here. Thanks!

wrldwzrd89
Feb 16, 2005, 04:11 PM
I did this in a duplicate thread I found that I didn't report yet, and, at least the last time I checked it, hadn't yet been locked.

Here's the thread in question: link to duplicate thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=110858)

Koodauw
Feb 17, 2005, 11:04 PM

D

I have seen more closed threads with the addition of the new mods, more so than usual. Some were closed unjustly IMO, but thats another issue. I find it rather dissapointing when I click on a thread, hoping to post only to find it has been closed.

Mudbug
Feb 18, 2005, 09:23 AM
I've wastelanded that dupe thread now.

Please just report them when you see them - cleanup is generally much quicker that way.

wrldwzrd89
Feb 18, 2005, 11:48 AM
I've wastelanded that dupe thread now.

Please just report them when you see them - cleanup is generally much quicker that way.

I'd suggest adding to the report bad post dialog that reporting duplicate threads is done here too. That's why I was hesitant to report it.

Sun Baked
Feb 18, 2005, 11:54 AM
I'd suggest adding to the report bad post dialog that reporting duplicate threads is done here too. That's why I was hesitant to report it.Well there's a few counterintuitive things about reporting threads... but reporting them is the only way to get the job done.

Of course with the last forum upgrade some of the things that the forum software used to take care of automatically, isn't done anymore.

Doctor Q
Feb 22, 2005, 05:53 PM
If a thread is spam, it gets wastelanded, so it shouldn't be in any of the forums that are summarized on the front page. Right?

There is a delay before the front page gets generated every so often, but deleted threads, which are rare, should disappear too.

If there are multiple threads on the same topic, we try either to post a link to the "live" thread in the closed one, so a click will put you in the right place, or we merge the threads and nothing gets closed.

Otherwise, if a thread is closed for veering off topic or some other reason, does that necessarily mean it is no longer worth reading?

wrldwzrd89
Feb 22, 2005, 06:11 PM
If a thread is spam, it gets wastelanded, so it shouldn't be in any of the forums that are summarized on the front page. Right?

There is a delay before the front page gets generated every so often, but deleted threads, which are rare, should disappear too.

If there are multiple threads on the same topic, we try either to post a link to the "live" thread in the closed one, so a click will put you in the right place, or we merge the threads and nothing gets closed.

Otherwise, if a thread is closed for veering off topic or some other reason, does that necessarily mean it is no longer worth reading?
Even if a thread ends up in the Wasteland, it still shows up as something recently added there, which I believe to be deliberate. At first I couldn't figure out what you meant by the front page, but it just hit me now what you were referring to. :o

I would think that little threads with only a few posts get closed, while bigger threads get merged into the main thread. Is this reasoning correct?

Doctor Q
Feb 22, 2005, 06:20 PM
I would think that little threads with only a few posts get closed, while bigger threads get merged into the main thread. Is this reasoning correct?That choice is made case by case. If there is content that everybody ought to see from both threads, it makes sense to merge them. But if two threads already have different discussions going about the same topic, merging them would sometimes lead to confusion.