Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jdismu1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Ok so I have read a bunch of stuff on "no bootable device" everyone just tells them how to get back to the Mac partition by holding down the option key. I've been trying to install windows 7 via DVD. I downloaded Windows 7 from my school website and it is a .iso file. I then burned it to a DVD (got a verification error while burning, but all files appeared on the cd) and then proceeded with bootcamp install and I get the "no bootable device" error. Got the verification failure be causing this?

I also read that burning the .iso to the DVD was the problem and that I'd have to mount it and then burn it. I've done both and get the same problem.

Thanks

Jdismu1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
I have a 2010 Mac book unibody.

I also read that it is because of formatting issues of burning from disk utility. Also I have looked at installing windows via USB but that seems too complicated

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Have you tried different writable DVD media. Some Superdrives are "picky" especially when it comes to booting from burned media.

B

Jdismu1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
As in different types of DVDs? if so then yes i have and both didnt work. I also read something about the burn speed affecting the DVD. I tried it at x8 and no luck also tried it at x4 and no luck. I was thinking about doing the burn at x2.5 but i can imagine the same thing would happen to me.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
this might be irreverent because i burned my Windows 7 on my windows, but you are supposed to burn it at the slowest speed the drive allows so 1X.. it takes time, so do it overnight or something?

i used a DVD + R and then it said burn is successful.. maybe grab a different computer and burn it? but when you use bootcamp, dont worry about "formatting your drive", because the Windows 7 installation will give you an option to do that.. it's when you select the drive you want to install windows 7 on. you click the bootcamp drive, then click advanced (or something) and then click format drive).. it windows 7 will format it for you so no disk utility :)

personally i used a X4 because that was the lowest my DVD could go apparently (even though i selected X1) but all things worked out fine for me.. i have the unibody MBP 2010 13" :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.