Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
The iPad 2 will launch March 11, whose going to wait at the Gateway Mall in Salt Lake City, Utah?

kewlguy781

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2011
count me in.

I heard they may will do reservation system like they did with iphone. not sure if its true or not.

am very curious if we have to do overnight, or just come in the morning and wait.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
I heard they may will do reservation system like they did with iphone. not sure if its true or not.

am very curious if we have to do overnight, or just come in the morning and wait.

I'm sure they'll to reservations, just like the original iPad.

For some reason Apple Retail Stores will not sell an iPad 2 until 5:00 PM on March 11. So people may not stay the night, however that was always half the fun.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
It looks like Apple may not be doing pre-orders or reservations this time which makes me think I'll have to go Thursday night. Anyone else planning on staying over Thursday night or going really early Friday morning?

LincolnC

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2011
I guess when you line up might depend on what model you want. Example; 16GB wifi will go out fast but they probably have more in stock..

I don't need one friday, but I'm wondering if friday night or saturday morning they'll still have a 16GB Verizon model and how long the wait would be to get in and purchase one.

Has anyone called the store to ask details of the launch?

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
I don't need one friday, but I'm wondering if friday night or saturday morning they'll still have a 16GB Verizon model and how long the wait would be to get in and purchase one.

I highly doubt there will be any line on Saturday. But I also think that the 3G models are not as big as seller as the WiFi model so you might be good. I hope they have a good stock. I'll probably go down to the store sometime this week and talk to them about it.

nomar383

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Rexburg, ID
I'll be there as well! But not until about 5 or 6PM since I'm driving down from Idaho.

For those that get there early, keep us updated on the lines and stock!

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
I'll be there as well! But not until about 5 or 6PM since I'm driving down from Idaho.

For those that get there early, keep us updated on the lines and stock!

You mean you'll be there at those times Friday or Thursday?

alfmoonspace

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2010
I can meet up friday morning, pretty sure there will not be a line for ipad 2 overnight here.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
I can meet up friday morning, pretty sure there will not be a line for ipad 2 overnight here.

I plan on at least checking in the night. I am going to go to the Apple Store and ask a bunch of questions about the iPad 2 that I hope they will answer. I'll be there Friday morning no matter what. Even in the night I may just sleep in my car if there is no line. I don't want to be first, I like second. Last year the two guys in front of me had the media on them for a long time, I don't think I would like that.

alfmoonspace

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2010
I might actually go to the 2100 best buy because of points and I can put it on my card. Hopefully they will have it in white! I don't think I can camp out, so I will be there in the morning to see how the line goes.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
I might actually go to the 2100 best buy because of points and I can put it on my card. Hopefully they will have it in white! I don't think I can camp out, so I will be there in the morning to see how the line goes.

I wonder if other retailers like Best Buy or Wal-Mart will start selling them early or at normal time instead of 5:00 PM?

LincolnC

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2011
Anyone going on Friday intend to tweet the line size and such? That'll help me determine if I head down Friday night or Saturday :)

LincolnC

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2011
I guess a better question is if they'll run out on Friday. I've heard a lot of stores get shipments on Friday. On the other hand, maybe an explanation for the 5PM release is show shipments get there in time and they don't restock over night.

Tough question lol.

I can head down there at 1 but its possible I'll have a class assignment in the afternoon till around 5, then an hour drive to SLC wouldn't put me there till 6.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
Anyone going on Friday intend to tweet the line size and such? That'll help me determine if I head down Friday night or Saturday :)

I can post on Twitter as well as this page about the line and such. I plan to go to the store Thursday night around 8:00 PM. If there is no line I'll hang until closing time and if there is no line then I'll show up early in the morning, maybe 4 or 4:15.

You think they will restock on Saturday?

I bet they get multiple shipments Friday and Saturday. Their big problem last year was not enough stock, I don't think they will make the same mistake.

Last edited:

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
Anyone planning on going to the Apple Store tonight? Anyone know if there is a line yet?

kewlguy781

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2011
i could drive by tonight. I am planning on get into the line by 3 pm tomorrow. I dont know if there are "public ading" because we dont see any TV or news (like ksl.com) on it.

ken1964

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2011
Anyone planning on going to the Apple Store tonight? Anyone know if there is a line yet?

I'm Thinking about it, but more so tomorrow in the AM, I live in Brigham so its not to far and i at least want to Stand in Line "SIT" one time in my life, But at 47 years old and being partially disabled, overnight might be a bit to much.:)

But for sure in the Morning, So maybe we can meet up.:apple:

ken1964

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2011
i could drive by tonight. I am planning on get into the line by 3 pm tomorrow. I dont know if there are "public ading" because we dont see any TV or news (like ksl.com) on it.

I Saw you just posted, I am in Brigham and am looking at around 9:30am or so after we drop my daughter off at school, She is a senior and wanted to also take the day off but then decided she didn't want to wait that long in line. No Patients like dad I guess.

I will have my wife drop me off and she can spend the day at the library while i enjoy my "Apple Line" Experience.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
I called about two hours ago and they said no line yet. I plan on going down about 8 to wait in line overnight. Someone should meet me.

ken1964

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2011
I called about two hours ago and they said no line yet. I plan on going down about 8 to wait in line overnight. Someone should meet me.

How is the setup down at Gateway, I have ben at the store only once since I purchase online all the time for all my Apple Items, My Mac Pro and Mac Mini's I got through Apple Directly.

But Is there a Place to setup a Meg-shift Camp so we don't have problems with the Law?

Cause if there is, I will consider it, since I am about 45min Away.

Ken

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.