PDA

View Full Version : problem with smart cover

rmitchell248
Mar 2, 2011, 01:36 PM
It seems to me that there will be a ton of iPads with magnet scratches on the rim.... Thats all I can see happening there. A little dirt will scratch it. Rubbing of the magnets against the aluminum will scratch it . I dont see much good coming in this department.

What do you guys think?

PBF
Mar 2, 2011, 01:38 PM
No more back protection, hence more scratches on the back. Very disappointing.

Where can I see what a leather Smart Cover looks like? Ta.

Mkz
Mar 2, 2011, 01:40 PM
Are there magnets on both sides of the cover so its held down in both places?

Otherwise, drop the iPad face first, cover swings open, lands on the glass front and smashes it.

rmitchell248
Mar 2, 2011, 01:42 PM
maybe for you guys buying on you should really be thinking about getting the full clear plastic coverage for not only the screen but the back as well asap I am sure they will be out soon

Otherwise, drop the iPad face first, cover swings open, lands on the glass front and smashes it.

from what I can tell from the video is that there's a magnet on the flat side as well as the hinge side

Mikee.Nu
Mar 2, 2011, 01:42 PM

I never cased my iPad. It's a gorgeous device. What's the logic in making sure the back cover remains pristine when it's never seen?

Anyway, marketed my iPad as mint condition and sold easily.

TomCondon
Mar 2, 2011, 01:43 PM
meh 3rd party covers are always the way to go, much better quality imo

on a side note; Mr.Ives - There is a limit to minimalism.

Piggie
Mar 2, 2011, 01:43 PM
I can see a LOT of smashed iPads.

You go to pick your iPad up from the shelf and kind of half grip the new magnetic top and the iPad itself, and as you start to pull the ipad into your grasp, the magnets pull away from the body, you fumble in a panic and SMASH on the ground!

Personally I want a case to PUT IT IN.

BrennerM
Mar 2, 2011, 01:44 PM
Solution: don't purchase the smart cover. Instead buy one of the hundreds of third-party cases that are sure to be on the market shortly.

Stetrain
Mar 2, 2011, 01:44 PM
from what I can tell from the video is that there's a magnet on the flat side as well as the hinge side

Yeah, it snaps shut on both sides in the video. The non-hinged side seems like the same mechanism in the Macbook lid magnets, it can sense when it's closed or open.

bob5820
Mar 2, 2011, 01:46 PM
It seems to me that there will be a ton of iPads with magnet scratches on the rim.... Thats all I can see happening there. A little dirt will scratch it. Rubbing of the magnets against the aluminum will scratch it . I dont see much good coming in this department.

What do you guys think?

The real question is how did Apple develop magnets that stick to aluminum (a non ferrous metal)?

Mkz
Mar 2, 2011, 01:47 PM
The real question is how did Apple develop magnets that stick to aluminum (a non ferrous metal)?

Magnets inside the iPad..

rmitchell248
Solution: don't purchase the smart cover. Instead buy one of the hundreds of third-party cases that are sure to be on the market shortly.

i agree, I plan not to pick up an ipad2 so no problem here I figured I would point out the obvious though as I expect to see many people posting up how they bought the apple cover and it scratched their ipad....

Small White Car

Now you're just talking crazy.

rmitchell248
Mar 2, 2011, 01:48 PM

the magnets are inside

Now you're just talking crazy.

the sad thing is that it probably is crazy... everyone is just going to have to have that cool new apple cover LOL Oh I can see it now.

martinmartin
Mar 2, 2011, 01:49 PM
I'm wondering if the smart cover will work with a film on the back - like invisible shield or best skins ever...

Goldinboy17
Mar 2, 2011, 01:49 PM
i agree, I plan not to pick up an ipad2 so no problem here I figured I would point out the obvious though as I expect to see many people posting up how they bought the apple cover and it scratched their ipad....

I definitely wouldn't like that. I'll end up buying front/back screen protectors and a case that protects the back just to be safe.

rmitchell248
Mar 2, 2011, 01:51 PM
I'm wondering if the smart cover will work with a film on the back - like invisible shield or best skins ever...

yes they should work still, I see no way that a very thin film would stop those magnets from working. They looked to have decent strength in the video.

henrikrox
Mar 2, 2011, 01:52 PM
i love it actually. minimal, instead of a bulky incase or whatever.

it does the job, i use a shield on the back, and this on the front. magnet wont stop working.

love how fast it comes off, it does the job

darngooddesign
Mar 2, 2011, 01:53 PM

Same way the aluminum MacBook latches work

MacRumorUser
Mar 2, 2011, 01:53 PM
Just use a very thin clear skin protector on the backside - hopefully it wont degrade the magnetism and it will provide protection against scratches. Crisis averted.

bob5820
Mar 2, 2011, 01:58 PM
the magnets are insideYou're probably right, though putting magnets inside the case does seem a bit inelegant from a design perspective. I was thinking more along the lines that they might of added some ferrous metal to the alloy.

jreuschl
Mar 2, 2011, 02:00 PM
I thought Apple told users to NOT bring magnets close to these devices as it may mess up the compass, etc inside?

deadwalrus
Mar 2, 2011, 02:01 PM
the magnets are inside

How the **** do they work?

bob5820
Mar 2, 2011, 02:06 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

the magnets are insideYou're probably right, though putting magnets inside the case does seem a bit inelegant from a design perspective. I was thinking more along the lines that they might of added some ferrous metal to the alloy.

Then again, knowing Apple, unicorn tears may have been involved.

rmitchell248
Mar 2, 2011, 02:09 PM

this is a joke?

vachargerfan
Mar 2, 2011, 02:13 PM
Only problem I see with the cover is that when you fold it up to make the stand, part of the microfiber will be reseting on the table\whatever. Seems like it would pick up stuff and deposit it between the screen and the cover causing possible scratches

bunny ear tv
Mar 2, 2011, 02:19 PM
A separate issue with the leather covers is listed in very small print on Apple's site:

"The leather Smart Cover is crafted from high-quality, naturally treated material that gets its color from a rich aniline dye. Some color may rub off during use."

Ink color rubbing off ON my iPad2, and paying $69 for the privilege? No thanks.

wingnut8
Mar 2, 2011, 02:21 PM
I don't like the cover but get why they did it. If you have a case that doesn't come off like that and just flips around the back like a book how are you going to use the back camera?

vachargerfan
Mar 2, 2011, 02:22 PM
I don't like the cover but get why they did it. If you have a case that doesn't come off like that and just flips around the back like a book how are you going to use the back camera?

That is a good point

rmitchell248
Mar 2, 2011, 02:22 PM
A separate issue with the leather covers is listed in very small print on Apple's site:

"The leather Smart Cover is crafted from high-quality, naturally treated material that gets its color from a rich aniline dye. Some color may rub off during use."

Ink color rubbing off ON my iPad2, and paying $69 for the privilege? No thanks.

id be more worried about it rubbing off on your clothes, furniture in your house, car seats ect ect...

OneMike
Mar 2, 2011, 02:25 PM
will be picking up the super heavy duty otterbox whenever it becomes available. need something kid proof and smart cover is definitely not it.

for me though, no case.

Carouser
Mar 2, 2011, 02:30 PM
Leather which isn't colourfast is common; it can rub off on use without staining other things. I don't know if this is the case for Apple's case. Also, when leather wears it can do so in a way which looks fine (think a well-worn coat or satchel). I doubt it would mar the iPad since aluminum and glass are fairly non-porous, to say the least (glass for sure).

As for the magnets, I imagine Apple tested them and they are reasonable. Whether they are great or the next iPod sock has yet to be seen.

Moral of the story: get a review or try the darn thing before hyping it one way or the other.

fishcube
Mar 2, 2011, 02:34 PM

You could just fold up cover and hold with left hand, and back is exposed. I don't think the cover is meant to fold over the back ??

Gryzor
Mar 2, 2011, 02:37 PM

I never had a case on my original iPad - never, ever got a scratch anywhere on it. I guess I just look after my stuff better than some... :rolleyes:

MaxPower49
Mar 2, 2011, 02:38 PM
Haha... a flap of fabric with magnets on it for "only" $40. That's Apple for you.

wingnut8
Mar 2, 2011, 02:39 PM
You could just fold up cover and hold with left hand, and back is exposed. I don't think the cover is meant to fold over the back ??
I don't think I understand what you're saying, my point was that something like the original iPad case wouldn't work that great because when you flip it back it would cover the camera.

kepner
Mar 2, 2011, 02:42 PM

It's a miracle.

PatrickCocoa
Mar 2, 2011, 02:55 PM
Haha... a flap of fabric with magnets on it for "only" $40. That's Apple for you.

OK, what I hear you saying is that you could produce an equivalent iPad cover for less than $40. Let us know when it's ready.

Actually Apple has developed a new transparent aluminum that is also magnetic. To disguise this new material they've painted it aluminum-colored.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Then again, knowing Apple, unicorn tears may have been involved.

Unicorn tears, how the f#%* do they work?

MaxPower49
Mar 2, 2011, 02:59 PM
OK, what I hear you saying is that you could produce an equivalent iPad cover for less than $40. Let us know when it's ready.

lol... not sure how you heard that, because I didn't say it. I love how you say one remotely negative thing about Apple on this board and the fanboys rush to their defense.

3goldens
Mar 2, 2011, 03:00 PM
Here's an even bigger problem, They offer o Black case in poly and all crappy colors in poly!

WHAT BS!

Sherifftruman
Mar 2, 2011, 03:05 PM
So, when my wife carries a purse big enough, it is not uncommon for her to toss the ipad in there (and I am sure shes not the only one). If it has what seem to be pretty strong magnets in the edge, whats the chance of the magnets messing with credit cards, etc in her purse?

TheBigApple2006
Mar 2, 2011, 03:16 PM
Any idea as to whether the Smart Cover can feature as a stand in portrait position too? Not clear from the videos...

Piggie
Mar 2, 2011, 03:37 PM
Look what happens when you lightly press the screen using the new stand:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/02/ipad-2-first-hands-on/

Last video - facetime camera swirl effects.

nvcplus
Mar 2, 2011, 03:38 PM
You will still be able to buy 3rd party. No one is forcing you to buy Apple products.

Also, big deal. So you get some scratches? The gd thing is made to be used. Use it.

rmitchell248
Mar 2, 2011, 04:01 PM
You will still be able to buy 3rd party. No one is forcing you to buy Apple products.

Also, big deal. So you get some scratches? The gd thing is made to be used. Use it.

your cool :) I was just pointing it out for people who would not see it coming. Some people like to take care of their stuff as well as use it. In a year or two when they want to sell it they will have better luck if it not all beat up like your stuff would be.

PBF
Mar 2, 2011, 04:29 PM

Nowadays, it's not just about "use it", but it's also about being able to resell the damn thing for nearly the same price a year later. :D

goobot
Mar 2, 2011, 04:32 PM
i wonder if the new dock will work with it?

jclardy
Mar 2, 2011, 04:38 PM

Yes, there are magnets on the far side to determine when you open or close it.

Blakjack
Mar 2, 2011, 05:05 PM
You guys are kind of slow. Why would the magnets be outside the cover? Of course they are inside the cover. The magnets will never touch the screen

nvcplus
Mar 2, 2011, 05:23 PM
Nowadays, it's not just about "use it", but it's also about being able to resell the damn thing for nearly the same price a year later. :D

Hey, I am all for reselling and getting the most out of my money... But again, it is made to be used. Try and enjoy it rather than treating it like they are some type of fragile ancient artifact.

I mean, if you're worried about the difference between a hundred dollars or so in resell value, maybe you should not even be buying luxury items in the first place.

nvcplus
Mar 2, 2011, 06:06 PM

HAHAHHAHAHAH! GOOOD ONE! YOU SURE SHOWED THEM! LOLOMAOROFL!

Don't buy it.

marksman
Mar 2, 2011, 06:08 PM

What do you guys think?

Yes I am sure apple never considered this and I am sure the magnets just slide around if they get a little bit of force.

You do know magnets come in all kinds of strengths right? You can have magnets with holding forces that you could not blow off with explosives...

It is all relative... Why not wait to actually see it, use it, or at least here about someone using it before worrying about such things.

It is actually a little insulting to Apple that you would think they would not have considered/tested this in their development.

So, when my wife carries a purse big enough, it is not uncommon for her to toss the ipad in there (and I am sure shes not the only one). If it has what seem to be pretty strong magnets in the edge, whats the chance of the magnets messing with credit cards, etc in her purse?

What will most likely happen is when she pulls out her iPad there will be keys, paper clips, coins and perhaps a neck massager attached to it.

aluren
Mar 2, 2011, 06:39 PM
So how does it work when I just want to hold the iPad? Since the cover doesn't flip backwards, it means that I have to just take it off? Otherwise it'll just be flapping in space to the side? I can see how this cover serves as a nice iPad stand though.

nvcplus
Mar 2, 2011, 06:42 PM
So how does it work when I just want to hold the iPad? Since the cover doesn't flip backwards, it means that I have to just take it off? Otherwise it'll just be flapping in space to the side? I can see how this cover serves as a nice iPad stand though.

Yep, looks like you just fold it over ;)

deeddawg
Mar 2, 2011, 06:53 PM

your assumption that the cover doesn't fold around the back is incorrect. I saw a video from Engadget showing it flips to the back just fine. http://uk.gizmodo.com/5774670/ipad-2-hands-on-it-really-is-different

Since it DOES flip back, no worries for holding it and no need to take it off.

Eclipse278
Mar 2, 2011, 06:57 PM
this is a joke?

It's a meme.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/******-magnets-how-do-they-work

deadwalrus
Mar 2, 2011, 06:58 PM
this is a joke?

This will explain all:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-agl0pOQfs

aluren
Mar 2, 2011, 07:00 PM
your assumption that the cover doesn't fold around the back is incorrect. I saw a video from Engadget showing it flips to the back just fine. http://uk.gizmodo.com/5774670/ipad-2-hands-on-it-really-is-different

That's cool. Thanks for the info!

NEBaghead
Mar 2, 2011, 07:06 PM

I was concerned about that too. Glad it does fold back.

I think an invisi-shield plus this cover will be a nice combo. It's a shame to hide the nice design of the device itself.

brudog68
Mar 2, 2011, 08:42 PM
Sooo...where is the sensor or whatever is allowing the "smart cover" to wake up the iPad when you open it?

cpnotebook80
Mar 2, 2011, 08:50 PM
the only test to see how strong the magnetic flap is dangle the ipad with its flap attached on its edge and see what happens :eek:
if it doesnt fall, Koodos apple
if it does, get a new case or new ipad:o

jclardy
Mar 2, 2011, 08:52 PM
Sooo...where is the sensor or whatever is allowing the "smart cover" to wake up the iPad when you open it?

It is a magnetic sensor, so you can't actually see it on the exterior. The teardowns should be able to show something.

slicecom
Mar 2, 2011, 08:56 PM
I never had a case on my original iPad - never, ever got a scratch anywhere on it. I guess I just look after my stuff better than some... :rolleyes:

Ditto.

dugbug
Mar 2, 2011, 09:14 PM
what I look forward to seeing is what third party case manufacturers are going to do to take advantage of the magnets in the ipad 2 structure.

Gix1k
Mar 2, 2011, 09:30 PM
I will be getting a smart cover for my white ipad 2. A poly one. No other case is needed. Too sexy to cover it.

james92se
Mar 2, 2011, 10:22 PM

this is a joke?

It's a miracle.

Lol, this is excellent.

rmitchell248
Mar 3, 2011, 03:48 AM
Yes I am sure apple never considered this and I am sure the magnets just slide around if they get a little bit of force.

You do know magnets come in all kinds of strengths right? You can have magnets with holding forces that you could not blow off with explosives...

It is all relative... Why not wait to actually see it, use it, or at least here about someone using it before worrying about such things.

It is actually a little insulting to Apple that you would think they would not have considered/tested this in their development.

Insulting? You probably would have assumed that the iphone 4 antenna being on the rim of the phone would have worked properly too since apple considered it in their lab? But instead I have a case on my phone because it drops calls otherwise.... say it with me.."apple is not perfect" its okay to do so;) Obviously we all like their products or we would not be on here but sometimes they are not perfect. Like I said many times before I was just posting this so some people dont get their case on and get all upset when it tears it up.

I am also well aware of how magnets work and their potential strength differences. Common sense will tell you that if you have a magnet strong enough to work as the one in the iPad video shows you, it is strong enough to scratch the unit if there is dirt in there or anything else. I will give apple the benefit of the doubt and hope that the cover has a plastic casing with magnets inside on the hinge side that will help with the magnet to aluminum problem that COULD occur. We will see wont we.

macjock
Mar 3, 2011, 04:05 AM
I definitely wouldn't like that. I'll end up buying front/back screen protectors and a case that protects the back just to be safe.

Why don't you put your ipad in a safe and then bore a wee hole in the top and then prod your ipad through the hole?

btbrossard
Mar 3, 2011, 04:12 AM
Why don't you put your ipad in a safe and then bore a wee hole in the top and then prod your ipad through the hole?
Agreed.

And even if you, say, scratch it all to heck by using it, Apple will gladly release an updated version next year and you'll never want to look at the old piece of junk again...

LouieSamman
Mar 3, 2011, 04:31 AM
I find the smart covers great.

- No, the magnet will not affect the device.
- The cover can be wrapped around the back of the iPad when in use.
- When wanting to use the back camera for facetime you can flip one of the bendable material, exposing the camera.
- As for picking up residue, cough up a little more money and get the leather smart cover.

It's not meant to protect the iPad fully but specifically for such things as slipping the iPad in a bookbag. In the case of worry of other items in the bookbag being able to rub on the iPad screen and scratching it, theres the smart cover to keep you peace of mind.

Enjoy the iPad 2 but I am awaiting for the 3rd gen because it is most likely going to have the retina display. Thats a worthy buy/upgrade.

I know there will always be a better iPad every year but I am just waiting for that BIG one.

deeddawg
Mar 3, 2011, 06:58 AM

Sounds like you're describing the otterbox defender case... :D

Mac21ND
Mar 3, 2011, 07:27 AM
It's a miracle.

Obscure Insane Clown Posse reference. Love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-agl0pOQfs

nomad01
Mar 3, 2011, 07:50 AM

But won't that erase the floppy discs and VHS tapes in my bag? :D

SchneiderMan
Mar 3, 2011, 10:24 PM
The cover has rubber feet on the magnet latches and case companies will come out with back covers which will be compatible with the Smart Covers. So you will be able to stay protected while using those awesome Smart Covers.

sportsfrk214
Mar 4, 2011, 11:26 AM
I'll be interested to see other manufacturers taking advantage of the magnet feature. I personally don't love the idea of a case that attaches magnetically to the side, but I do like the idea of magnets around the screen that can lock and unlock the device when a magnetic cover is removed. I hope other's can make good cases that cover the entire device but offer the magnet unlock functionality.

rmitchell248
Oct 16, 2011, 04:38 AM
I just ran across this without looking for it.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3146112?start=0&tstart=0