Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GOSTANGGO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
ok, this is what happens when a non-electronic person tries to move into the techno world.

question is - what do i need to make ATV work at home, have an ipad, ATV and a TV........NOW WHAT?:confused:

GOSTANGGO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
rtfm........i did, still cant figure it out....i told you i was gadget impaired!

Or google.......ditto

just search these forums for a few weeks.
..........................................doing this now....just thought someone could explain in simple words to me

jimmy1984

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2010
You'll need an HDMI cable (do not go get one for 30 bucks at an electronic store, order it online) monoprice.com

And that's about all you'll need...plug in the power chord and the HDMI chord, and the when you access it, the ATV2 will walk you through it.

GOSTANGGO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
You'll need an HDMI cable (do not go get one for 30 bucks at an electronic store, order it online) monoprice.com

And that's about all you'll need...plug in the power chord and the HDMI chord, and the when you access it, the ATV2 will walk you through it.

THANKS jimmy1984

i do not need a computer hooked to it or internet access......correct?

jimmy1984

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2010
you'll need to have a WIFI signal in your house/office if you want to connect the ATV2 to internet content (like NETFLIX, internet Radio, TV shows, Movies); however, you can also connect it directly with a LAN cable.

You need a computer on the network with iTunes (connected to same WIFI source or if you have both plugged in to same router via LAN), if you want to access the content that you might have in iTunes.

GOSTANGGO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
you'll need to have a wifi signal in your house/office if you want to connect the atv2 to internet content (like netflix, internet radio, tv shows, movies); however, you can also connect it directly with a lan cable.

You need a computer on the network with itunes (connected to same wifi source or if you have both plugged in to same router via lan), if you want to access the content that you might have in itunes.

is there any way around the internet connection?

DefBref

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Why have you bought the ATV?

What are you trying to achieve, it sounds like you've just bought it but don't really understand what it does.

Without a internet connection you limit its functionality (no netflix, itunes rentals, youtube etc).

Without even a network so you can at least connect it to your ipad or a PC then it is useless, it won't do anything.

It gets content from either the internet or network connected devices (PC/Macs running itunes and iDevices), thats it no other way to get content.

GOSTANGGO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Yes, setup a computer near your ATV with all the movies and TV shows that you'll ever want to watch. Then you can connect the two via crossover ethernet cable and it should work.

i guess this is what i was getting at, can i download movies to my ipad or laptop via cable internet....then play them on my tv? do i even need the ATV to do this?

my wife purchased this for me as a gift along with an ipad, i think she thought it was like directtv and you could just get movies.....i really dont want to ask her what she was thinking.....and me not being very up to date in the techno world....just dont know.....

GOSTANGGO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
why have you bought the atv?

What are you trying to achieve, it sounds like you've just bought it but don't really understand what it does.

Without a internet connection you limit its functionality (no netflix, itunes rentals, youtube etc).

Without even a network so you can at least connect it to your ipad or a pc then it is useless, it won't do anything.

It gets content from either the internet or network connected devices (pc/macs running itunes and idevices), thats it no other way to get content.

can i use the ipad as my internet connection?

DefBref

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
So you have a laptop and a ipad, how are they connected to the internet? Just do the same for your ATV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.