PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else concerned that the new iPad 2 cover will causes scratches?

ovrlrd
Mar 2, 2011, 02:36 PM
The front cover is nice, and the magnets should keep it in place, but whenever you are putting on the case or removing it entirely from the iPad 2 the metal "hinge" is rubbing up against the iPad. That seems like it's gonna end up with scratches along the side of the iPad.

Anyone else concerned about this?

mloffa
Mar 2, 2011, 02:37 PM
I thought about this right after engadget posted the pic.
To be honest, not really sure how it's going to play out.
Hopefully it'll work out okay.

patp
Mar 2, 2011, 02:39 PM
not really worried about stuff like this. the cover serves a purpose and if it scratches the sides (an area I probably won't see) i just accept it as par for the course.

Scott6666
Mar 2, 2011, 02:43 PM
Nope.

v66jack
Mar 2, 2011, 02:46 PM
I'm sure it wouldn't scratch. i dont think Apple would make such as basic error.

NightStorm
Mar 2, 2011, 02:47 PM
No.

gloss
Mar 2, 2011, 02:48 PM
Pretty sure you need more force than that to scratch aluminum.

Madvillain
Mar 2, 2011, 02:49 PM
I'm sure it wouldn't scratch. i dont think Apple would make such as basic error.

Of course they wouldn't! That would be like making a plastic case for a phone and having it crack.

BJB Productions
Mar 2, 2011, 02:51 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of...magnet + iPad = bad?....

ovrlrd
Mar 2, 2011, 02:52 PM

You put too much faith in Apple. I am sure they tested it, but who is to say what it would be like in the real world where people would be abusing the hell out of it over the course of a year?

ovrlrd
Mar 2, 2011, 02:53 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of...magnet + iPad = bad?....

You worried about stuff attaching to it? I suppose that might be a concern to people who throw it in a bag full of paperclips, but I doubt the magnets are that strong.

ovrlrd
Mar 2, 2011, 02:53 PM
Think I have decided I am just gonna get some sort of thing slip case for the iPad rather than this cover. It is a great idea but I don't want scratches.

d Fusion b
Mar 2, 2011, 02:54 PM
If you're worried about it, get a ZAGG skin. That **** is the best skin on the market. I'm sure it wouldn't interferer with the magnet lock locations either.

shieldhttp://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/apple-ipad-3g-cases-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields.php

3goldens
Mar 2, 2011, 02:55 PM
really interesting idea, and it would be a real winner had they figured out how to do it with a poly back. an aluminum back sucks, just plain sucks, it scratches and dents easily so to get a "case" that is really only a cover is like, just stupid.

I've always had screen protecters on my ipad, never a problem with the dam thing scratching, but the back, forget about it.

For the next incarnation of this they will use the new patented process they spoke about in the forums the other day. I imagine its kind of like a built in wrapasol!

Mr Bigs
Mar 2, 2011, 02:57 PM
Does it really matter ? most of you will buy the iPad 3 anyway.

Gryzor
Mar 6, 2011, 03:20 PM
Both the iPad 2 case and the spine of the covers are made of aluminium, each containing embedded magnets - one will not scratch the other unless significant force is applied.

fishmoose
Mar 6, 2011, 03:21 PM
Nah, it's made by Apple they think about stuff like this :)

Sodner
Mar 6, 2011, 03:23 PM
Do you really think Apple has not considered that in the design?

findnemo
Mar 6, 2011, 03:27 PM
Cough* Cough* antennagate.

Sodner
Mar 6, 2011, 03:28 PM
Cough* Cough* antennagate.

Touche! :)

miamialley
Mar 6, 2011, 03:49 PM
Of course there won't be a problem with iPhone reception! Apple thinks of those things, duh!

Maaz
Mar 6, 2011, 03:49 PM
People saying apple made it so it won't scratch are wrong. Me my friend and his brother all have experienced scratches on the aluminum trim on the iPhone 4 from Apple bumper.

Erkenntnis
Mar 6, 2011, 03:52 PM
I thought of that too. Perhaps you're less likely to scratch the sides with the magnet hinge if you try to line it up as best you can before it attaches itself.