PDA

View Full Version : PM G5 falls back asleep after waking!

rwk001
Feb 15, 2005, 08:35 PM
Help! Now and again after I wake my PM dual 2.0 from sleep, it just puts itself back to sleep again, sometimes even two or three times in a row! Usually, there's a few seconds, so I'll have launched Safari, or brought up a program before it flickers off to sleep mode. Then it might happen again if I press a key to wake it up. Anybody have this problem before? :confused:

Phat_Pat
Feb 15, 2005, 08:40 PM
Do you have all the updates on it. Firmware, OS, ect.?

This Guy (http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@859.zMnHaq5hQ5B.2@.68a4e535) seems to be having the same issue.

rwk001
Feb 16, 2005, 02:44 PM
I haven't tried to wake the computer with the power button only, but will certainly give it a try. It's irritating b/c it seems to happen only once in a while. Anyways, what is NVRAM? Is that like PRAM? As for the firmware, I think everything is up to date, since I just installed the new 10.3.8 with Software Update.

maxterpiece
Feb 16, 2005, 03:12 PM
your computer has narcolepsy! hehe. Well funny for me at least.

Maybe there's a short in one of the keys on your keyboard... Are you using a wireless keyboard? I've noticed that all sorts of funny things start happening when the batteries are running low on mine (random characters coming up).

Seriously though, maybe it just needs a vacation. It's not good to always be tired.

rwk001
Feb 16, 2005, 07:48 PM
Ha, ha. Maybe it's feeling tired, or isn't a late night kind of computer. Seems it does that if I've been using it for a while. My question is: is this a serious hardware problem (like narcolepsy), or a software problem (sleep hygiene issue)? :rolleyes:

maxterpiece
Feb 17, 2005, 09:31 AM
Ha, ha. Maybe it's feeling tired, or isn't a late night kind of computer. Seems it does that if I've been using it for a while. My question is: is this a serious hardware problem (like narcolepsy), or a software problem (sleep hygiene issue)? :rolleyes:

sounds like software issue to me. It is the software that sends that tells the hardware when to sleep. I don't think there is one discrete malfunction in the hardware that would make all the things happen that happen when you put your computer to sleep. In other words, there are many instructions coming from the system software that end up putting the computer to sleep. Many different parts of the hardware would have to malfunction in a very specific way for it to be a hardware issue.

I am sorta talking out of my ass though. Everything that I've just said may be wrong. I would trying running something like norton, then if that doesn't work, reinstalling your system.