Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Now that the dust is settling from the major announcements today, we've compiled a list of few smaller items of interest from today's media event.

153427-ipad_2_mic_500.jpg

Image from Engadget
- iPad 2 Microphone: With the second-generation iPad, Apple moved the microphone from next to the headphone jack to the center of the device's top edge. The change explains the "mystery port" seen on cases that surfaced as early as mid-January.

155144-ios_4_3_devices.jpg

- No iOS 4.3 for Verizon iPhone: As noted by Apple during the media event and on the iOS preview page, iOS 4.3 is compatible with both iPad generations, third- and fourth-generation iPod touch models, the iPhone 3GS, and the iPhone 4 GSM model. The list excludes the CDMA version of the iPhone introduced on Verizon earlier this year, which debuted with iOS 4.2.6.

While iOS 4.2.6 contains some of the features found in iOS 4.3 such as personal hotspot functionality, other features such as Safari and AirPlay improvements are not yet found on the Verizon iPhone. It is currently unknown why the Verizon iPhone will not be seeing an update to iOS 4.3 alongside the other devices.

- iMovie and GarageBand Compatibility: According to Apple's iMovie page, the new universal iMovie application for iOS will be compatible with the iPad 2, iPhone 4, and fourth-generation iPod touch, but not the original iPad. The new GarageBand application for iPad will, however, be compatible with both first- and second-generation iPad devices, according to Apple engineer Danny Patterson.

Article Link: Tidbits: iPad 2 Mic, No iOS 4.3 for CDMA iPhone, iMovie and GarageBand Compatibility

Supercell

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2011
Small question. If there is a microphone and you are able to get a iPad 2 with 3G, does that mean iPad2 is like a oversized iPhone 4?

shervieux

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2010
No iMovie for ipad1?

iMovie application for iOS will be compatible with the iPad 2, iPhone 4, and fourth-generation iPod touch, but not the original iPad.

In the event, didn't he say it would be universal? I took that to mean iPad1 as well. Looks like I will be using Reel to Reel. I was hopinh for imovie for the iPad1. My iPad is not even a year old yet, and I would've liked iMovie.

I am not ready to buy a new iPad yet, not at those costs. And my iPhone is a 3G. Not ready to upgrade yet to lose my unlimited data.

Looking forward to Garageband though. Now I can do my podcasts on the road.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Well the Case of the Mystery Port is now closed. Sounds like the title of a Scoobie Doo movie if you ask me.

Small question. If there is a microphone and you are able to get a iPad 2 with 3G, does that mean iPad2 is like a oversized iPhone 4?

The iPad 1 has a microphone as well. It is kind of like an oversized iPhone 4; It has its own telephone number*, GPS, 3G data....

* note: you cannot call the number, but it does have one.

AriX

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2007
The CDMA variant of iOS was likely developed by a small team, unbeknownst to the iOS 4.3 developers, just like how the iPad version of iOS was likely developed at the same time as iOS 4.0. It could take a month or two to merge the branches together and create an iOS that is compatible with both models.

elliotsdad

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2006
Really cheesed off...

that the ipad can't run iMovie. It's only 8 months old and apple are declaring it functionally obsolete regards one of their two new flagship apps.

I appreciate the marketing strategy Apple use, but am really annoyed at the expectation we are to upgrade to use something so fundamental as iMovie on a large screen device which was screaming out for that functionality.

I expected the ipad to remain fully functional for at least two years like the iphone did.

Very annoyed...

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
The CDMA variant of iOS was likely developed by a small team, unbeknownst to the iOS 4.3 developers, just like how the iPad version of iOS was likely developed at the same time as iOS 4.0. It could take a month or two to merge the branches together and create an iOS that is compatible with both models.

This is exactly what it is. Apple had to design the CDMA version of iOS to not simultaneously let you use Data and Voice because that's impossible with verizon, aswell as support slightly different hardware. The hardware support is most likely not the issue. The issue is most likely the data/voice thing, when you consider how much of iOS uses one or the other.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I expect 4.3 will be avail on the CDMA iPhone 4 a couples weeks after March 11. It wasn't as big a priority as the GSM model. This shows fragmentation is occuring!!

Stop spreading ********. If you know anything about 4.2.6 you know it's nearly the same as 4.3. It'll get updated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.