PDA

View Full Version : Is the mac mini supposed to be this SLOW?

mrzeve
Feb 15, 2005, 08:47 PM
Hello all,

I just switched and I have to say, Im absolutely hating it.

I bought the mac mini (80gb hd stock version/1.42ghz/256mb ram/no bluetooth or wireless installed) and I have to say Ive never experienced something so slow since my 300mhz home built windows machine with 32mb of ram.

Anytime I try doing a small task I get the spinning multicolor disc cursos.

Anyway, Its been like this since day one. I have only the following applications open round clock (I close them and reopen them sometimes when the computers really hauling butt)

Adium X
iTunes
Safari

The following are open rarely, from time to time
iCal (open every night to wake me up in the morning, then shut off)
OSXVNC
iPhoto
Konfabulator

Thats it really. Nothing more.

I opened utility monitor (I think thats what it was called) when I was having the trouble and viewed the ram and the 256 wasnt even fully used.

I understand this is a laptop hardrive inside the mini, but comeon people I have a windows laptop on my lap right now, and its NOT even comparable. It feels like Im using the fastest computer on earth right now. My mini is OFF because I can not bare with it right now.

I ran the disk test that came with the mini, and everything turned up fine.

I repaired permissions before and after every software update.

Im really tearing my hair out guys. Please, reassure me that Im nuts.

.......anyone wana buy a mini :rolleyes:

dotdotdot
Feb 15, 2005, 08:51 PM
Well, I can say that at the Apple store, they use 512 MB RAM and its quick and responsive - the eMacs on display with 256 MB RAM are never even touched, they are so slow... maybe a memory upgrade would be better?

Logik
Feb 15, 2005, 08:54 PM
Well, I can say that at the Apple store, they use 512 MB RAM and its quick and responsive - the eMacs on display with 256 MB RAM are never even touched, they are so slow... maybe a memory upgrade would be better?

how much ram does that laptop have? i'm betting at least 512 right? you honestly think 256 is gonna cut it? no... go upgrade the ram to at least 512.. my powerbook never swaps to the hard drive unless i'm doing video editing in imovie or idvd work and i have 768mb of ram.. works flawlessly and it's only a 1.33ghz G4. so it's either the ram or there's somethin messed up with that mini. my guess is you need more ram

konfab uses uh... between 4-7mb of ram PER widget being run.. plus the common stuff between konfab... so depending on the widgets, you could have quite a bit of ram used up there.. adium x.. i don't use it so it's probably about 10mb if not a bit more... you can see where this is going

clayj
Konfabulator is a HUGE memory hog... combined with the fact that you only have 256 MB of RAM, I'm not surprised you're seeing beach balls. My Mac mini did the same thing until I upgraded the RAM to 1 GB... this has made a world of difference.

My recommendation: Upgrade the RAM to 512 MB or, if you can, 1 GB... this will make for a much smoother computing experience.

stevey500
I have a gig of ram in my g4 800mhz and it is quick... and very comparable to my P4 1.4ghz PC w/512mb RDram

Even though I have ran out of ram with 1 gig... but not very often at all..

mrzeve
Feb 15, 2005, 08:57 PM
Yes but like I've said, I keep the utility monitor open and it very rarely uses all of the available memory. On the left hand side of it it usually says 72mb free, but then theres something next to it that says about 9mb free. Its weird.

And like I said regarding Konfabulator, I have it open very rarely.

Also:

My Mac mini did the same thing until I upgraded the RAM to 1 GB... this has made a world of difference.

Did it really make that much of a difference? What changed besides the beach balls in your overall computing experience? And do you think just a bump to 512 would make that much of a difference to me, or would I have to go to ahead and get a 1gb stick (Im afraid this budget machine is gonna end up being a large expense)

Logik
Feb 15, 2005, 09:05 PM
Yes but like I've said, I keep the utility monitor open and it very rarely uses all of the available memory. On the left hand side of it it usually says 72mb free, but then theres something next to it that says about 9mb free. Its weird.

And like I said regarding Konfabulator, I have it open very rarely.

Also:

Did it really make that much of a difference? What changed besides the beach balls in your overall computing experience? And do you think just a bump to 512 would make that much of a difference to me, or would I have to go to ahead and get a 1gb stick (Im afraid this budget machine is gonna end up being a large expense)

OS X has an excellent caching engine. meaning it will take whatever ram you have available and use it to the best of it's abilities.. it's really good at what it does. however, if you don't have enough ram to feed its' hunger then it can't do its job... give it 512mb... you can get a 512mb stick for what... $65?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-407&depa=1

EDIT: btw.. you can keep the 256 in it.. giving you 768mb.. that's should be more than sufficient for what you're doing.. if you want to go 256mb for a total of 512mb (just remember upgrading again will require taking one stick out) then the total cost is like $40 tops

clayj
Feb 15, 2005, 09:07 PM
Did it really make that much of a difference? What changed besides the beach balls in your overall computing experience? And do you think just a bump to 512 would make that much of a difference to me, or would I have to go to ahead and get a 1gb stick (Im afraid this budget machine is gonna end up being a large expense)Well, I think I may have seen a beach ball twice in the past two weeks, and the programs seem to run more smoothly. A bump to 512 MB should suffice... I figured as long as I was upgrading, I should jump to the max (any problems I run into now can't be solved through further RAM upgrades, in other words... it's no longer something to worry about). But I've heard good things about going to 512 MB... it would certainly save you about $100. I'm part of the "get way more than you need" school of computing, though.

clayj
Feb 15, 2005, 09:08 PM
EDIT: btw.. you can keep the 256 in it.. giving you 768mb.. that's should be more than sufficient for what you're doing.. if you want to go 256mb for a total of 512mb (just remember upgrading again will require taking one stick out) then the total cost is like $40 topsActually, you can't. Only one RAM slot in the Mac mini. You can sell the old 256 MB stick and get about $25 for it, though.

Logik
Feb 15, 2005, 09:11 PM
Actually, you can't. Only one RAM slot in the Mac mini. You can sell the old 256 MB stick and get about $25 for it, though.

really? well dang... guess i will buy a powermac for sure then... no mac mini for me..

sorry my bad.. blow the wallet and get the 1gig then.. $130-140

cmvsm
Feb 15, 2005, 09:11 PM
Yeah, you need more RAM in a major way. OS X is gobbling up what little you have just to run it, nevermind these other applications you have running. Get at least 512K or 1GB if you can afford it. You'll thank yourself a million times over.

If you are still not satisfied....how much ya want for it..? :D

Blackheart
Feb 15, 2005, 09:12 PM
EDIT: btw.. you can keep the 256 in it.. giving you 768mb.. that's should be more than sufficient for what you're doing.. if you want to go 256mb for a total of 512mb (just remember upgrading again will require taking one stick out) then the total cost is like $40 tops

Incorrect, the mac mini only has one memory slot, any AEM memory sticks will be the TOTAL memory (i.e. if you buy a 512MB stick, the 256MB leaves). Also, I wouldn't recommend a self-installation unless the user feels very comfortable with doing an upgrade in such a small machine.

EDIT: Wow, that one was jumped on quick! ;) That's the MR team for ya!

jsw
Feb 15, 2005, 09:18 PM
Yup. $90 will bring you to 512MB. $180 will get you to 1GB.

You don't need to close apps - they get paged out automatically. Your problem is that you need more than 256MB. Activity Monitor will never show that you're using 256MB, since the OS is swapping stuff out to disk before reaching the physical max (it's a bad thing to have zero available bytes in RAM). Going to 512MB will make more of a noticeable difference than going from 512MB to 1GB.

pigbat
Feb 15, 2005, 09:25 PM
It will probably always appear as though there is memory available. It is busy swapping stuff out to disk to keep some memory free. Do the memory upgrade, you won't regret it.

Nermal
Feb 15, 2005, 09:32 PM
In my opinion, selling computers with only 256 MB is the absolute worst thing that Apple is currently doing. They should move to 512 MB across the entire line (and maybe 1 GB on the more expensive Power Macs).

EskimoJoe
Feb 15, 2005, 09:37 PM
I don't know much about Macs, but considering the complexity of this Operating system, I would agree that the issue must be memory related. I am running a 1.33 Ghz G4 Ibook, and it seems to run fine. I had them put 512mb in it right off the bat. Unless you want to run OS9, then you could probably get away with 256mb. I think Apple should put 512mb minimum in this OS X systems. Windows XP crawls on 256MB as well, if you run anything substantial. Hard drive swapping really slows down a system.

mrzeve
Feb 15, 2005, 09:50 PM
Never been on a forum and gotten so many replies. Thought this was a dream or something.

Anyone have any idea how much the Apple Genius Bar would charge be for a ram installation, that could play a factor in how much memory I purchase.

SteveC
Feb 15, 2005, 09:55 PM
This is an easy one. :) In fact, this is so easy it is funny. :D

Here's your answer:

Ready?

Scroll down........... ;)

It's the RAM.

Not a doubt in the world. :)

Running a computer with 256 MB of RAM is now "the ABSOLUTE bare minimum, or less." My opinion is that 512 MB is the minimum now. 640 is better, 768 is nice, and 1 GB is super great.

Put a 512 MB or 1 GB stick of RAM in your mini and it'll FLY. :) My friend has a 1.25 mini with 512 MB of RAM and it's faster than his 2.4 PC with 768.

SteveC
Feb 15, 2005, 09:57 PM
Never been on a forum and gotten so many replies. Thought this was a dream or something.

Anyone have any idea how much the Apple Genius Bar would charge be for a ram installation, that could play a factor in how much memory I purchase.
I'm not sure how much the Genius Bar will charge, but you may want to buy the RAM from crucial or somewhere cheaper than Apple because Apple charges way too much for their RAM. ;) Unless money is not an issue....

One other option: Has anyone concluded (yet) if Apple will install non-Apple RAM? Even if they charge a fee, will they do it? Say, you buy 512 or 1 gig from somewhere and go into an Apple store with your mini and the RAM and ask them install it.

daveL
Feb 15, 2005, 10:01 PM

I bet you can do it yourself. Just read carefully and take your time. You'll save $$ and learn something to boot! Do you have any hardware (PC is OK) savvy friends that might help? My wife's iMac G5 has 1 GB, which I installed, but she needs to run Virtual PC every now and then, otherwise 512 MB would have been fine. Nothing, these days, runs well in 256 MB, except maybe a well tuned Linux distro.

QCassidy352
Feb 15, 2005, 10:10 PM
In my opinion, selling computers with only 256 MB is the absolute worst thing that Apple is currently doing. They should move to 512 MB across the entire line (and maybe 1 GB on the more expensive Power Macs).

Quite right! By selling macs with 256 standard apple gives the impression that 256 is an ok amount, and it absolutely is not. The imac G3 400 I got 5 years ago came with 128 and I upgraded to 256. 256 was an ok, not extravagant, amount at that time. Now, it just doesn't work.

thecow
Feb 15, 2005, 10:26 PM
how much ram does that laptop have? i'm betting at least 512 right? you honestly think 256 is gonna cut it? no... go upgrade the ram to at least 512.. my powerbook never swaps to the hard drive unless i'm doing video editing in imovie or idvd work and i have 768mb of ram.. works flawlessly and it's only a 1.33ghz G4. so it's either the ram or there's somethin messed up with that mini. my guess is you need more ram

konfab uses uh... between 4-7mb of ram PER widget being run.. plus the common stuff between konfab... so depending on the widgets, you could have quite a bit of ram used up there.. adium x.. i don't use it so it's probably about 10mb if not a bit more... you can see where this is goingSo yours, with 768mb of ram, never uses virtual ram? I have that much too and according to the activity monitor I have over 4Gb of hd space allocated to vram! Is this normal? Here's a list of the stuff that I had open:
The order of the columns is Process ID, Process Name, User, %CPU, # Threads, Real RAM, Virtual RAM

jsw
Feb 15, 2005, 10:31 PM
So yours, with 768mb of ram, never uses virtual ram? I have that much too and according to the activity monitor I have over 4Gb of hd space allocated to vram! Is this normal? Here's a list of the stuff that I had open:
The order of the columns is Process ID, Process Name, User, %CPU, # Threads, Real RAM, Virtual RAM
No, the nature of OS X is that it will always have a lot of Virtual Memory allocated, far more than the RAM you have (mine's at 9GB now). However, OS X's paging scheme is very efficient - but it needs more than 256MB of real memory to work with. 512 MB is pretty good. 1GB is more than enough for almost all users.

There's no reason to be concerned about Virtual Memory usage. Page swapping, though, is an issue, and usually vastly more of a problem at 256MB than at 512MB.

agentmouthwash
Feb 15, 2005, 10:48 PM
get more ram get more ram get more ram get more ram get more ram get more ram get more ram get more ram.

it will solve all your problems. OSX needs a minimum of 512mb.

uaaerospace
Feb 15, 2005, 10:50 PM

Your computer will never use ALL of your installed RAM. Mine always has at least 5MB free (free, not inactive), no matter how many programs I have running. When it says 9mb free, you are for sure out of RAM. I have 356 in my older 400MHz G3, and I don't get the beachball that often..only when opening a program. 512 should be great for you with a mini. Just keep in mind that I have never seen the free memory go to zero, no matter how much stuff I have running at once, so don't look for it to be 0. ~Josh

mmmdreg
Feb 15, 2005, 11:00 PM
I've got a gig of RAM and there's usually not much left but a lot of what is used is being quite inactive. What makes the inactive RAM become available again?

dejo
Feb 16, 2005, 12:04 AM
What makes the inactive RAM become available again?

Other activity?

bousozoku
Feb 16, 2005, 12:28 AM
I've got a gig of RAM and there's usually not much left but a lot of what is used is being quite inactive. What makes the inactive RAM become available again?

After an unspecified (to the user) amount of time, the inactive memory is released. This changed in 10.3.6 and the VM system is much more aggressive at holding on to anything it gets.

I've never run out of memory, but I've had something less than 50 MB in a system with 1.5 GB and the paging was horrendous...as if the system had 64 MB total.

Lacero
Feb 16, 2005, 12:32 AM
Get rid of Konfabulator. It's a poorly written program that is slow and greedy.

Jigglelicious
Feb 16, 2005, 10:04 AM
Something sounds wrong to me. Even my iMac G3 500mhz with 256mb RAM doesn't get beachballs in OSX unless a program crashes or locks up. There might be a hardware problem, or a corrupt OSX installation. I suggest formatting the HDD and reinstalling a clean copy of OSX to see if it fixes the issue.

crap freakboy
Feb 16, 2005, 10:36 AM
I'm running a G4 400mhz with over a gig of ram and only have had a beach ball say twice in the last 6 months. On those two occasions I had Safari, iTunes, iPhoto, iView Media, Quicktime, Mail plus few others open....bottom line is get as much RAM as possible. If you still have issues I'd do a clean install of OSX...oh and make sure FileValut isnt on, major system hog in my experience.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Feb 16, 2005, 11:08 AM
I got an iBook G4@800MHz with 640MB RAM, which has a BTO 60 BG 4200 HD.

Even though I got a fair amount of RAM I get 'beachballed' quite often while running the usual programs: Mail, Firefox and iTunes (also have a couple of 'extras' running, like Konfabulator), quite often also running Adium X, iCal, etc...

I found that iTunes is most often to blame: Using Airtunes, to listen to music on my hifi, really strains the machine, as on-the-fly AES encrypting of the music is quite a resource hog...

maxterpiece
Feb 16, 2005, 11:08 AM
I have a 1.6 ghz G5 tower and a 1.5ghz g4 powerbook. I also recently sold a 800mhz g3 ibook. The tower has 1 gig ram, the powerbook has 512 ram and the ibook had 640 ram. Running a few relatively low mem apps (say mail.app, safari and ichat), the three perform pretty similarly. The slower processor machines had fraction of second longer pauses between typical actions because of the difference in processor, but there are no "hang-ups" or beachballs. Now if I open another app, say iphoto, on each of these comps and I am switching between all 4 apps relatively regularly, the powerbook, despite the fact that has twice the clock speed of the ibook, will start to feel slower than the other 2 machines. Some actions it is still faster, but the long HD swapping hangups on the powerbook take a second or two. That is painful compared the fraction of a second difference in what i'm doing w/ the processor.

Most normal apps these days AREN'T PROCESSOR INTENSIVE. Only pro level apps like photoshop, and hardcore gaming apps will make a difference in processor speed noticeable. Even a game will be more dependent on the quality of the video card than the processor. This is why I always recommend to all my PC and Mac buying friends that they give up the processor bumps in exchange for RAM upgrades.

As long as you aren't running iphoto with 5,000 photos, 512 RAM should minimize the beach balls. A 1.25 ghz g4 is a solid processor, but the 4200rpm HD in the mini exacerbates the problem when there is a shortage of ram.

That being said, OS X performs well in a different way than XP. The overall GUI is a little prettier and a little laggier, but the multi tasking capabilities of OS X make switching from app to app a dream. Right now I am typing at work on a 1ghz celeron processor w/ XP. If a leave a web page open background for 10+ minutes and then i try to bring back to the front, the machine lags for several seconds while it rerenders the website. In OS X it would be instantaneous.

In conclusion, upgrade your ram and, unless you have defective hardware, your problem will disappear.

SteveC
Feb 16, 2005, 11:19 AM
In conclusion, upgrade your ram and, unless you have defective hardware, your problem will disappear.
Yes, exactly. There has been a lot said in this thread, but that's the bottom line and all he needs to do. (As long as there's no hardware problem.) :)

BakedBeans
Feb 16, 2005, 11:22 AM
sorry to chime in so late!

i am using an emac (in between powerbook sale and powermac purchase) and it had the same problems as you - like everyone else says - its the ram, i got 512 and its pretty darn quick

billystlyes
Feb 16, 2005, 12:02 PM
To little memory. Upgrade it to the 512MB better yet to 1GB..

bousozoku
Feb 16, 2005, 01:04 PM
Something sounds wrong to me. Even my iMac G3 500mhz with 256mb RAM doesn't get beachballs in OSX unless a program crashes or locks up. There might be a hardware problem, or a corrupt OSX installation. I suggest formatting the HDD and reinstalling a clean copy of OSX to see if it fixes the issue.

Are you running those memory hogs, too?

mrzeve
Feb 16, 2005, 04:54 PM
Yes, exactly. There has been a lot said in this thread, but that's the bottom line and all he needs to do. (As long as there's no hardware problem.) :)

Thanks for the overwhelming response guys.

Is there any way to be sure of no faulty hardware before I go ahead and purchase some ram? I dont want to be stuck with a burping mini and unused ram =\

SteveC
Feb 16, 2005, 04:58 PM

Is there any way to be sure of no faulty hardware before I go ahead and purchase some ram? I dont want to be stuck with a burping mini and unused ram =\
Well, I don't want be too "simple sounding" but let me humor you...

Here's how you can tell if it's the RAM that's the problem: If you only have 256MB of RAM, it's the RAM. ;)

I don't know of any other way to say it than to say "there's no doubt in the world." :)

Besides, IF (and this is a spectacularly HUGE "if") you upgrade the RAM and it's still slow, and it ends up being a hardware problem, Apple is going to fix it for you for FREE because it's covered by AppleCare.

bousozoku
Feb 16, 2005, 05:24 PM

You should have a hardware diagnostics disk. I would suggest booting from that and running all the diagnostics you can find that apply.

After that, you can apply the RAM fix. ;) If possible, maybe you could find someone with the appropriate RAM stick you need, just to test.

billystlyes
Feb 16, 2005, 10:21 PM
You should have a hardware diagnostics disk. I would suggest booting from that and running all the diagnostics you can find that apply.

After that, you can apply the RAM fix. ;) If possible, maybe you could find someone with the appropriate RAM stick you need, just to test.

That's the best advice for him. I have a 1.42 mini and had beachballs. Upgraded to 1GB no beachballs. He can run the hardware diagnostics disk but in the end he'll need to upgrade the memory.

mrzeve
Feb 17, 2005, 10:53 AM
Where have you buys purchased your extra ram from?

bousozoku
Feb 17, 2005, 11:00 AM

OtherWorld Computing http://eshop.macsales.com/

SteveC
Feb 17, 2005, 11:03 AM
Crucial.com for me.

shake
Feb 17, 2005, 11:07 AM
ram obviously helps, but... the rotational speed of the hard drive contributes to the spinning beach ball. the mac mini uses a laptop hard drive, and all of apple's powerbooks get the spinning beach ball as well because they use 4200rpm or 5400rpm drives.

i have upgraded 3 of my clients powerbooks with a 7200rpm 60gb laptop hard drive from hitachi. almost all of the spinning beach balls have disappeared and the praise from my clients hasnt stopped yet. they claim it feels more responsive and "zippy".

i think the mini is underpowered. sure, yeah, the price is right blah blah blah. i'm not buying one.

neoelectronaut
Feb 17, 2005, 11:15 AM
All of this RAM talk has me worried. My mother will be purchasing a Mini for her own personal use in a few months, and with everyone saying that 512MB is barely efficent...that only leaves 1GB. And I'm not all to confident of my ability to open the mini without cracking the casing..

bousozoku
Feb 17, 2005, 11:51 AM
All of this RAM talk has me worried. My mother will be purchasing a Mini for her own personal use in a few months, and with everyone saying that 512MB is barely efficent...that only leaves 1GB. And I'm not all to confident of my ability to open the mini without cracking the casing..

My experience says that 512 MB is good for Mac OS X. You can run software on a machine with 256 MB but don't expect a pleasant experience. I have a recent PowerBook and have run it with 256, 512, and 768 MB recently. There is a definite difference but it depends on how busy the machine is. Obviously, running Photoshop or Final Cut Pro is going to be a lot worse than running a web browser.

Lord Blackadder
Feb 17, 2005, 12:31 PM
I've been playing around with my brother's Mac mini (1.42GHz, 512MB, all the other BTO options), and I have gotten excellent performance with the iApps, iTunes,MS Office, internet browsing, a little messing around in the GIMP, and Warcraft 3 (and some other older games).

You'd probably want to go with the 1GB stick if you are going to screw around with pro applications on a regular basis, but 512 seems more than adaquate for your average suite of applications.

trose
Feb 17, 2005, 01:20 PM
This is one mistake Apple made with the Mini. They have an operating system that is fantastic at using RAM, a computer that is very hard to expand RAM in, and a computer that is aimed at giving people the Mac experience. They also have a computer with a slow HD, which is going to cause even more slowdown when RAM runs low.

A simple bump to 512MB default would have been so much nicer. At the bulk prices Apple buys in, it would be so inexpensive to do, too.

I reccomend you download the tiny program "Do I need more memory?"
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/18229

Leave it on for a day of normal computing, and watch what it tells you. I am betting it suggests at least 400-500MB RAM.
On my G4 with 1gig of RAM, I still was reported as needing an extra 150 for optimal performance, and I believe it. I don't run a whole lot more on average than you do, either.

robbiejoy
Feb 17, 2005, 01:47 PM
When I got my ibook G4 it was SO SLOW. I hated it too and wondered why I switched. Within a week I had bought 512 to add to the standard 250. It made all the difference. If you have the cash go for 1G its worth saving yourself the aggravation.

billystlyes
Feb 17, 2005, 02:09 PM
Crucial. Not the best price but they make good Ram

Blackheart
Feb 17, 2005, 03:54 PM

I've bought mine from OWC (http://eshop.macsales.com/)

jjd
Feb 18, 2005, 08:19 AM
I have 1.25GHz AlBook. I got the Superdrive version that shipped with 512MB memory. I get the beachball all the time. I would like to go to 1gb. I think the 2 slots are already used (@x256mb). So, I will need to buy a 1gb card. Is this right? Will I also be able to use one of the 256 cards in the other slot(can the computer run 1.25GHZ of RAM)?

TMA
Feb 18, 2005, 08:53 AM

Don't know how Apple does things with its retail stores in the US, but in the UK its 99% resellers and we wouldn't make a charge provided bought the RAM from us. If you came into the shop with memory you got from crucial I would charge 25.

mrzeve
Feb 19, 2005, 11:02 AM
I plan on buying Tiger when it is released.

Do you guys think 512mb ram on a Mini is going to be sufficient?

SteveC
Feb 19, 2005, 11:22 AM
I plan on buying Tiger when it is released.

Do you guys think 512mb ram on a Mini is going to be sufficient?
Yeah you'll be fine. :) For anything ultra-intensive you may want more, but for anything else you'll be fine with 512.

SteveC
Feb 19, 2005, 11:24 AM
I have 1.25GHz AlBook. I got the Superdrive version that shipped with 512MB memory. I get the beachball all the time. I would like to go to 1gb. I think the 2 slots are already used (@x256mb). So, I will need to buy a 1gb card. Is this right? Will I also be able to use one of the 256 cards in the other slot(can the computer run 1.25GHZ of RAM)?
Yes (buy a 1gb module) and Yes (it can run a 1gb+ 256mb). :)

JoeUK
Feb 19, 2005, 02:55 PM
I know it's been said a lot; 'Get 512mb, if you can 1gb', but no one's really said if 512mb of RAM is really enough. Will my Mac Mini with 512mb thats in the post be ok?

dotdotdot
Feb 19, 2005, 03:19 PM
I know it's been said a lot; 'Get 512mb, if you can 1gb', but no one's really said if 512mb of RAM is really enough. Will my Mac Mini with 512mb thats in the post be ok?

Yes. It will work - thats what the Apple store uses in their mac minis. They are really, REALLY fast.

Yvan256
Feb 19, 2005, 03:50 PM
Nothing, these days, runs well in 256 MB, except maybe a well tuned Linux distro.

Well, how about Windows 98? MS-DOS?

Oh, you said "these days"... sorry. :cool:

Yvan256
Feb 19, 2005, 04:38 PM
I think the mini is underpowered. sure, yeah, the price is right blah blah blah. i'm not buying one.

I also think Apple kind of dropped the ball on this one. They tried to do two things at once, and failed on both (up to a point):

- make a computer even smaller than the so-called "small form factor" on the PC side (they were sucessful, and the result is also very nice)

- make the lowest-cost Mac ever (they were successful, but are still a bit more expensive than PCs, if you only look at the price tag and the included gear).

Why try to make a low-cost, smallest-ever computer? We all know that small parts cost MORE than regular parts. And yet, Apple used a laptop HD and a laptop slot-loading drive. At least they didn't use SODIMM (but they still made the mistake of only having one slot, making it more expensive to upgrade the Mac mini than any other of their current desktop offerings).

You want to make a low-cost computer, you stick with "old", regular parts:
- 3.5" HD, ATA133 (don't even use serial ATA)
- tray-loading combodrive (use the same as the eMac)
- multiple memory slots (so upgrading doesn't costs much, and allows you to upgrade in small steps)

Yes, the Mac mini is beautiful. And small. But it's too small for its own good (and for its own price). Imagine if it had been a tad bigger, used a regular 3.5" drive (7200 RPM), and had two memory slot (ships with 256MB, most users would simply add another 256MB).

In short:
- Laptop drives are more expensive AND slower. Big mistake as far as I'm concerned.
- One memory slot means you have to remove the current memory to upgrade. In most cases, replacing is more expensive than adding.
- Slot-loading is nice, but even top-of-the-line DVD players still have trays. There's nothing "wrong" with tray-loading drives. Keep costs down, use regular parts, don't be too fancy.
- This is 2005. The Radeon 9200/32MB is pathetic for today's market. The low-end needs to be 64MB, the mid-range 128MB and the high-end 256MB.

Yes, some of my points could be pointless. Apple now has slot-loading on all computers (meaning they order more drives, costing less in the end). Maybe they can buy laptop drives for a lot cheaper. But PowerMacs and iMacs (and eMacs) all still have 3.5" drives. And those drives are 7200 RPM, not 5400 (or worst, 4200).

Would the Mac mini cost more with 64MB VRAM instead of 32MB? Yes. Would it cost a lot more? Not really. In fact, try to go out and purchase a 32MB videocard for a PC. You can't (unless you got for a non-ATI, non-nVidia card). You'll probably even have a hard time finding 64MB cards. I've even seen budget cards with 256MB...

Yes, Steve said "BYODKM" and specified USB keyboard/mouse. But had Apple looked a bit at the current market, they would've put PS/2 ports on the Mac mini. Most mices are USB, but 90%+ of keyboards are still PS/2 only. Apple should've shipped the Mac mini with a PS/2-to-USB adapter, like they did for the DVI/VGA port. Even in the hopeful case that you already have a USB keyboard and mouse, you're out of luck if you want to connect anything else (scanner, printer, etc). The Mac mini needed at least 3 USB ports, 4 would've been enough for most users (keyboard, mouse, printer, scanner/other).

Will the Mac mini be a monumental flop? Absolutely not. Is it overpriced? Maybe a bit, but it's not "Macs are too expensive" anymore.

Could it have been cheaper AND more powerful/upgradable? Absolutely. I'm surprised every time Apple makes weird decisions like this. After all, isn't it "Perfection: the difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra"? Putting slower, more expensive parts isn't what I call "extraordinary" in my book. Make the design fit the parts, not the other way around (see iMac G5, PowerMac).

Imagine a bigger Mac mini with a GeForce FX5200 Ultra/64MB, two memory slots (256MB or 512MB default, but the point being you can upgrade for cheap later on - even put the memory slots user-accessible, underneat for exemple), a 3.5" 7200 RPM HD (giving default sizes of 80/120GB instead of 40/80GB), four USB 2.0 ports in the back. PS/2-to-USB adapter included in the box. Same price.

Wouldn't that be much better? After all, switchers are used to computer towers that are so big (and so noisy), even if the Mac mini had been 25-50% bigger, it would still have been incredibly impressive and a lot smaller than the current SFF boxes on the PC side.

To be fair, on all those five points (GPU/VRAM, Memory Slots, HD, USB ports and PS/2 connectivity), only 3 are out of our hands (GPU/VRAM, memory slots, HD). You can fix the lack of USB ports by using an external hub (I got one with 7 ports) and buy the PS/2 adapter yourself if needed (after all Apple never said anything about PS/2 ports. But you know as well as me that most switchers will have PS/2 keyboards).

Oh well. Can't wait to see what Apple will do next. :eek:

Waiting for Tiger, Mac mini rev.2 and iMac G5 rev.2

Either 64MB VRAM in the Mac mini or a better GPU/128MB in the iMac G5 would be enough of an update IMO.

Stupid PC... this Athlon sure is noisy... :mad:

mrzeve
Feb 23, 2005, 11:18 AM
Is $86 1 gig pc2700 ddr 64x4 a good deal?

maya
Feb 23, 2005, 11:26 AM
maya's replys

Adium X <--- Not a Memory Hog.
iTunes <--- Not a Memory Hog, can be if you are ripping/encoding or burning a CD.
Safari <--- Not a Memory Hog, can be depending if you are on a flash/java site

OSXVNC <--- Big Time Memory Hog.
iPhoto <--- Big Time Memory Hog, with larger images and manipulation.
Konfabulator <--- Big Time Memory Hog, do not even use it.

Upgrade the RAM :)

BOLD text is my reply. ;) :)

mrzeve
Feb 23, 2005, 11:02 PM

anyone?

clayj
Feb 23, 2005, 11:05 PM
anyone?Is that a single stick for a Mac mini? Because if you can get a 1 GB stick for a Mac mini for $86, that's an insanely good deal... my 1 GB stick cost about $175.

mrzeve
Feb 24, 2005, 12:09 AM
Is that a single stick for a Mac mini? Because if you can get a 1 GB stick for a Mac mini for $86, that's an insanely good deal... my 1 GB stick cost about $175.

Yes its a single stick that was supposedly stripped from a Compaq desktop.

I was wondering what the 64x4 meant and what not.

clayj
Feb 24, 2005, 12:19 AM

I was wondering what the 64x4 meant and what not.That doesn't sound right to me... I don't remember anything about "64x4" when I bought my RAM upgrade for the Mac mini.

My advice: Make sure you can return the RAM if it's not the right thing... or ask the seller what exactly they have.

Flynnstone
Feb 24, 2005, 12:46 AM
Careful with the RAM. Most desktops use DIMM memory and laptops (Mac minis) use SO-DIMM memory.
Attached are pictures showing the difference.
SO-DIMMs are smaller and more $

mrzeve
Feb 24, 2005, 01:44 AM
The Mac Mini uses LAPTOP ram?

Invizzible
Feb 24, 2005, 01:50 AM
I convinced a friend to switch, and she recently got an emac. It has 512 MB ram, but it's pretty slow. She thinks it's a slow computer, and is not particularly happy with it. When I've used it, it seemed to be slower than my 1.4 ghz powermac (upgraded from 400 mhz). My processor is slightly faster (hers is 1.25 ghz) and her bus is faster (mine is an old 100 mhz, hers is 167 mhz). I would've expected her emac to be about as fast as my powermac (I have 1 GB ram). But it takes longer to open applications and load web pages (loading pages is ridiculously slow on hers, considering she has a very fast cable internet connection). I doubt the difference in ram is causing the speed difference, but I'm not positive. I would think her faster bus would make up for her slower processor. If anyone knows any issues that slow emacs down, or any tricks to speed it up (besides overclocking), I'd love to hear about it.

gekko513
Feb 24, 2005, 02:13 AM
They should've done the iBook trick and had 128MB of RAM soldered onto the motherboard. That way it would've been 384MB RAM minimum and 640 with an upgrade.

(The Mac mini does NOT use laptop RAM)

bosrs1
Feb 24, 2005, 01:05 PM
Hello all,

I bought the mac mini (80gb hd stock version/1.42ghz/256mb ram/no bluetooth or wireless installed) and I have to say Ive never experienced something so slow since my 300mhz home built windows machine with 32mb of ram.

Anyway, Its been like this since day one. I have only the following applications open round clock (I close them and reopen them sometimes when the computers really hauling butt)

Adium X
iTunes
Safari

OSXVNC
iPhoto
Konfabulator

I opened utility monitor (I think thats what it was called) when I was having the trouble and viewed the ram and the 256 wasnt even fully used.

I understand this is a laptop hardrive inside the mini, but comeon people I have a windows laptop on my lap right now, and its NOT even comparable. It feels like Im using the fastest computer on earth right now. My mini is OFF because I can not bare with it right now.

All you need is more RAM. The OS alone is sucking over half your RAM which is why it's so slow. bump it to 512 or 768 and you'll be fine.

maxterpiece
Feb 24, 2005, 01:36 PM
Yes, the Mac mini is beautiful. And small. But it's too small for its own good (and for its own price). Imagine if it had been a tad bigger, used a regular 3.5" drive (7200 RPM), and had two memory slot (ships with 256MB, most users would simply add another 256MB).

While they're at it they might as well take the the laptop drives out of their laptops and put full size drives in. It would save the a few $ and would only increase the weight and size by, say, 25%.

What is the mac mini? a computer that is being marketed at the ipod crowd. a computer that is not supposed to interfere with your life. How do you do that ? you make as small and as slick looking as you can. My ONLY problem with the mini is that it only has 256 mb of ram. it's so cheap to put in 512 and when a user has iphoto and safari open at the smae time and their comp starts crawling, they are gonna get frustrated with it.

Hemingray
Feb 24, 2005, 02:09 PM

I was wondering what the 64x4 meant and what not.

That doesn't sound like a gig stick. 64x4=256; 256/8=32MB. At least that's the formula according to Crucial (http://www.crucial.com/kb/answer.asp?qid=3684).

As for me, I got a gig stick for my iBook from Fry's Outpost.com (unlikely source, as I normally avoid Fry's like the Plague.) I got it for $160, and that's for a laptop SO-DIMM. It works like a charm, haven't had a single problem with it. They might have similar or better pricing for RAM that'll fit the Mac mini, so check it out.

whooleytoo
Feb 24, 2005, 02:10 PM
I remember someone benchmarking the mini (I think it might have been barefeats.com) who suggested if money's tight it's better to get the slower machine with 1GB of RAM than the faster machine with less memory.

Hemingray
Feb 24, 2005, 02:18 PM
Careful with the RAM. Most desktops use DIMM memory and laptops (Mac minis) use SO-DIMM memory.
Attached are pictures showing the difference.
SO-DIMMs are smaller and more $

Where are you getting that? According to Crucial, the Mac mini uses standard 184-pin DIMMs:

Link (http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=Apple%2BMac+mini&mfr=Apple&cat=RAM&model=Mac+mini+%28G4+-+1.25GHz%29&submit=Go)

dejo
Feb 24, 2005, 02:21 PM
The Mac Mini uses LAPTOP ram?

No, it doesn't. It uses 184-pin DIMMs, not SO-DIMMS, as shown on the Mac mini: Memory Specifications (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300572) page from Apple.

bosrs1
Feb 24, 2005, 02:29 PM
No, it doesn't. It uses 184-pin DIMMs, not SO-DIMMS, as shown on the Mac mini: Memory Specifications (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300572) page from Apple.
It does. There are no desktop macs that use laptop memory.

oingoboingo
Feb 24, 2005, 02:39 PM
It does. There are no desktop macs that use laptop memory.

Early G3 iMacs and G4 iMacs used laptop SO-DIMMs. But with regard to the Mac mini, you are correct, and the original poster is completely wrong. No laptop SO-DIMMs are used in the Mac mini. This information is plastered from one end of the net to the other, as well as being featured prominently on Apple's site. Why are people still making this mistake?

V.A.Toss
Feb 24, 2005, 02:53 PM
The mac mini does NOT use a SO-Dimm, it uses full size DDR RAM.

http://images.apple.com/macmini/images/designinsides20050111.jpg

Does that look like a Sodimm to you?
No.

To everyone that posts info on here; get your facts correct. All it takes is a little search on the Net. The kid cud have bought a Sodimm and wasted both money and time.

Advice to the mrzeve: id buy decent RAM, macs can sometimes be a little picky with it from my experience. Whilst i dont know if this is the case with the mini, it pays to be safe. As you know, theres also less chance of buying faulty RAM if you buy branded. Like crucial.

Mechcozmo
Feb 24, 2005, 02:55 PM
So yours, with 768mb of ram, never uses virtual ram? I have that much too and according to the activity monitor I have over 4Gb of hd space allocated to vram! Is this normal?

I have 3.86 GB. :D Yeah, that's normal, and thats also why OS X gets so, uh, crappy with less than 5 GB of hard disk space remaining.

To clear up some confusion:
Mac Minis use standard DDR DIMMs.
512 MB is the de-facto standard for doing anything really with OS X. 768 MB is a nice amount to have, and 1 GB (1024 MB) is really nice (go fast!) but 512 is good.
Think:
512 MB- fast
768 MB- faster
1024 MB- fastest

And adjust accordingly for stuff like 2 GB (2048 MB) and 128 MB.

whenpaulsparks
Feb 24, 2005, 03:30 PM
really? well dang... guess i will buy a powermac for sure then... no mac mini for me..

sorry my bad.. blow the wallet and get the 1gig then.. $130-140

your choice is between a powermac and a mac mini? and the determining factor is the amount of ram slots? that's not very good... logik. (haha, had to use it)

a mac mini with 512 MB is a very darn good machine for the buck.

zyuzin4
Feb 24, 2005, 08:27 PM
i heard that Macs are picky about generic 128x4 RAM so I bought this... at least it has a brand name

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-141-198&depa=1

now my Mac mini runs faster than my Athlon XP 2400+

GFLPraxis
Feb 24, 2005, 08:36 PM
Hello all,

Adium X
iTunes
Safari

OSXVNC
iPhoto
Konfabulator

I'll tell you why:

To quote anandtech:

The performance of the Mac mini in its standard form is unacceptable, even for a $499 machine. At first, I was afraid that the poor performance was due to the 1.25GHz G4. However, upon further investigation, the root of the cause revealed itself - 256MB of memory is simply not enough for OS X. When running one application, such as Safari or Mail, the 256MB of memory is enough, but as soon as you open more than one application, the memory quickly disappears. The problem with disk swapping on the mini is that it is using a 2.5" hard drive, which is significantly slower than a desktop hard drive. So, overall performance is reduced significantly. There's a ton of stuttering when multitasking (not even heavy multitasking) and it's completely caused by disk swapping.

Upgrading the system to 512MB of memory fixes all of the problems. You'd be hard pressed to get close to 100% CPU utilization on even the low end 1.25GHz G4 without resorting to video encoding, and most importantly, the system is as smooth as can be with 512MB. As I mentioned in the first Mac article, OS X's caching algorithms work wonders for perceived system performance, since there's very little disk swapping, but in order for the OS to do its thing, you need a certain minimum level of memory and that seems to be 512MB. Apple offers a 512MB upgrade for the mini for $70, which is slightly cheaper than what a DDR333/400 stick would cost you aftermarket, and it is an absolute must-have for this system. Working on a simple file, ftp or web server with no end user interaction in the OS, you can get by with a 256MB configuration, and the same goes for a single user, single application usage environment, but as soon as there's any element of multitasking at play, you need 512MB - any less doesn't do the system justice.

Honestly, the first time that I used the mini, I was quite frustrated with it, simply because there was just too much disk swapping going on. But after the 512MB upgrade, I was more than happy from a performance perspective. The 5400RPM drive in the system is actually fairly snappy (when not being swapped to) and application start times are pretty reasonable as well. There's a clear difference between the mini and Apple's PowerMac G5s, but despite the difference, the mini offers a pretty good level of performance, if it is configured with 512MB of memory.

Apple should not be allowed to sell any system with OS X with less than 512MB of memory; and you shouldn't buy the mini with less than 512MB of memory. It's as simple as that.

The performance of the 1.25GHz G4 is surprisingly good.

To sum it up:
256 MB of RAM is not enough for OS X. Using more than one simple program like Safari will use more than 256 MB of RAM. Using more memory than you have means that some of the hard drive will be used as RAM.

One problem:
The Mac Mini has a SLOW HARD DRIVE.
As a result, disk swapping goes as slow as heck.
And with only 256 MB of RAM, you do a LOT of disk swapping.

Get 512 MB of RAM ASAP!

EDIT:
Crucial.com is what I recommend. Or dealram.com.

The exact type of RAM you want is PC2700. Standard desktop 184 pin, NOT laptop.

zyuzin4
Feb 24, 2005, 08:42 PM
for some reason, my internal mac mini drive is faster than two of my extarnal drives :-?

Mechcozmo
Feb 24, 2005, 10:46 PM
for some reason, my internal mac mini drive is faster than two of my extarnal drives :-?

The bus connection maybe. ATA-133 vs. USB 2.0 could be it.

Flynnstone
Feb 24, 2005, 10:58 PM
OOPS. :o

My mistake about the SO-DIMM.

Sorry.

bosrs1
Feb 25, 2005, 06:50 PM
Early G3 iMacs and G4 iMacs used laptop SO-DIMMs. But with regard to the Mac mini, you are correct, and the original poster is completely wrong. No laptop SO-DIMMs are used in the Mac mini. This information is plastered from one end of the net to the other, as well as being featured prominently on Apple's site. Why are people still making this mistake?
I meant in the current product line. The last desktop to use So-Dimms was the iMac G4.

SteveC
Feb 25, 2005, 07:04 PM
OOPS. :o

My mistake about the SO-DIMM.

Sorry.
Don't beat yourself up over it. Everyone has a boo-boo now and then.

stubeeef
Feb 25, 2005, 07:23 PM
Sorry I didn't read all the posts, but When I used File Vault,( do not use file vault if you can at all possible do with out) I got some BBalls, turned it off and life got real good, I use a 12"PB 1.33 and 768ram with 10.3+

AtHomeBoy_2000
Feb 25, 2005, 10:31 PM
Yes. It will work - thats what the Apple store uses in their mac minis. They are really, REALLY fast.

I was just at the Apple Store in Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg. Since I want to by a Mac Mini near the end of the year, i figured I should at least go in and try one out. I was really impressed. I really only used the IE and iPhoto, but ti was more than efficiant. My fiancee who was unsure about switching to Mac was very impressed. Needless to say, I'll be switching near the end of the year.

On a side note: iPhoto is a really great program. I was blown away by the Photo Book option. That is a HUGE selling point for my fiancee. We want to start a wedding photography buisness and if we could use wedding pictures to make a Wedding book with iPhoto, that would be tremendous.

mrzeve
Mar 4, 2005, 07:27 PM

Update

It is a 1gig stick that I received. But it does not work with my mac mini.

Is it because the stick is 128 bitwide (I believe its 128, thats what the seller told me). Does the mini need 64 bit wide?

Heres a comparison
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=20-141-424&DEPA=1
Kingston 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - Retail

Model# KVR400X64C3A/512
Item # N82E16820141424
Specifications:
Manufacturer: Kingston
Speed: DDR400(PC3200)
Type: 184 Pin DDR SDRAM
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Cas Latency: 3-3-3
Support Voltage: 2.6V
Bandwidth: 3.2GB/s
Organization: 64M x 64 -Bit
Warranty: Lifetime

The onyl difference between this and the ram i have, is that the one i got is PC2700

V.A.Toss
Mar 4, 2005, 09:15 PM
Oh christ :rolleyes:

Well, i dont think it matters really does it??

Just sell that RAM, then buy some proper mini stuff from crucial.

Good luck with it anyway

mrzeve
Mar 4, 2005, 09:18 PM
But whats wrong with what I got?

Besides that it doesnt work :rolleyes:

BornAgainMac
Mar 4, 2005, 10:01 PM
Bring your own keyboard, mouse, monitor, and RAM!

mrzeve
Mar 4, 2005, 10:18 PM
When I put the 1gig stick in the machine, it beeps once on an attempted boot. Not a normal startup chime, just a beep.

Does that mean the ram is incompatible, or that the ram is not found, possibly indicating its dirty (its not - i cleaned it) or damanged?

V.A.Toss
Mar 6, 2005, 01:46 PM
Well RAM rarely gets "dirty", atleast not without getting broken.

Its just the type of RAM. Precisely i dont know. Macs are very picky about what kind of RAM they have. It can depend on Latency or modules on the RAM normally.

Whatever the reason is, you mini is pretty useless without more RAM. Its probably running half as fast as it would with 1 gig in.

U know if ur gonna switch, then u have to give the mac a fair chance. Otherwise you might not have bothered.

dollystereo
Mar 6, 2005, 02:51 PM
THe PC 3200 ram or DDR400 is for powermac G5, its not gonna fit your mac mini, I have a powerbook G4 with 1gb ram, its pretty fast, even with the 4.2krpm HD, dont worry, get 1gb. I have an emac 1.25GHZ to, with 768, AND IS FAST!!!!!

eleveneastgate
Mar 6, 2005, 03:31 PM

They wanted $30 at the Glendale, CA Apple Store, last time I checked... :D

ldburroughs
Mar 6, 2005, 08:39 PM
Konfabulator is a HUGE memory hog... combined with the fact that you only have 256 MB of RAM, I'm not surprised you're seeing beach balls. My Mac mini did the same thing until I upgraded the RAM to 1 GB... this has made a world of difference.

My recommendation: Upgrade the RAM to 512 MB or, if you can, 1 GB... this will make for a much smoother computing experience.

I know it may seem obvious but consider a 512 stick for an upgrade to 768 if the gig seems too much right now. You can get a good one for between $60-80 (possible mail-in rebate) and it will probably suffice. I'd say 512 should be your minimum in today's computers despite the minimum recommendations often listed at 256 or, dare I mention, 128. My iBook is slower (according to Ghz rating) but it is quicker than my 1.6 GHz Centino laptop (which is great by the way). It is either the memory issue or something else is seriously wrong.

Abstract
Mar 6, 2005, 09:08 PM
Oh my, the amount of mis-information in this thread is astonishing.

Just go to OWC like people have recommended. There's no point going through all this trouble to save $50. Its not like your new 1GB stick of RAM actually works. Its just a waste of money.

And you don't need 1GB of RAM. I have a 1GHz PB, which is slower than your Mac Mini. I had 512MB of RAM (2 x 256MB sticks) in it for 15 months, and it ran great. The only reason I needed to get a 1GB stick is because I needed more RAM than you. Why? Because I've had iTunes, Safari and Firefox (with about 8 Tabs open in each browser), Mail, Word, Excel, and 4 or 5 PDF documents that were between 10 to 50 pages all open at the same time.

That's a lot of large PDFs. That's a lot of websites. I did this regularly, as I was doing my Masters.

Now I'm doing a PhD, and there will be many occasions where I'll need to have many massive PDF documents and research websites open. You don't. I had 512MB on a system slower than the Mac Mini, and it ran great when I wasn't doing craploads of research. Get 512MB.

If you get 1GB, it would be nice, but it would be like getting a Porsche just to drive to the grocery store.

Jovian9
Mar 7, 2005, 12:23 AM
Get rid of Konfabulator on that machine. I had to stop using it on a 17" 1.33GHz PB with 1GB RAM b/c it was a hog.

plinden
Mar 7, 2005, 12:12 PM
My iBook is slower (according to Ghz rating) but it is quicker than my 1.6 GHz Centino laptop (which is great by the way). It is either the memory issue or something else is seriously wrong.

Go to blackviper.com and use his recommended services list to disable nonessential services. It didn't make a huge noticeable difference with normal usage, but it frees up some CPU and RAM. It halved the time needed to compile my Java code. Something (indexing service perhaps?) was making file access really slow.

mrzeve
Mar 7, 2005, 05:48 PM
No ones answered my question about the beep on system boot with the 1gb stick.

Does that mean the stick is Incompatible or DEAD?

Hemingray
Mar 7, 2005, 06:40 PM
No ones answered my question about the beep on system boot with the 1gb stick.

Does that mean the stick is Incompatible or DEAD?

Well, according to Tek-Tips (http://www.tek-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=3857), one beep means no RAM was installed or detected. Sounds like it's dead to me, or else you would have heard two or more beeps. But I don't know for a fact.

mrzeve
Mar 8, 2005, 05:20 PM
Will 512mb be sufficient to run Tiger?

And I dont want Tiger to "just work" like Apple states.

I want to be able to run iPhoto and iMovie in tiger with my widgets going without having to see all these beach balls.

Blackheart
Mar 8, 2005, 06:33 PM
Will 512mb be sufficient to run Tiger?

And I dont want Tiger to "just work" like Apple states.

I want to be able to run iPhoto and iMovie in tiger with my widgets going without having to see all these beach balls.

You're not going to get much of an answer. Tiger isn't even publicly out yet.

pizzach
Mar 8, 2005, 06:52 PM
I'm on a 400Mhz G4 processor and the speed isn't too shabby on Mac OS X. Of course, I have 1Gb of RAM. :cool: So the slogan goes, "RAM is power".

dollystereo
Mar 8, 2005, 07:41 PM
COME ON, the ram you bought doesnt fit your mac mini, thats why the beap!!!!
Go and change your 1gb Pc3200 ram for a 1gb pc 2700 ram, and stop crying, AND TIGER WILL RUN ON YOUR MACHINE!!!! (not core video or image) the radeon 9200 is the problem.

Dont ask more, get 1gb of your MACs Minis ram
http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html ok?????

Configurations
1.25GHz Mac mini
1.42GHz Mac mini

Model
M9686LL/A
M9687LL/A

Processor
1.25GHz PowerPC G4
1.42GHz PowerPC G4

Memory
256MB of PC2700 (333MHz) DDR SDRAM, supports up to 1GB

And the man thats telling you to get 768!!!! is IMPOSSIBLE
only one slot.

that means 256, 512 or 1gb!!! (no 2 gb dims!)

OK, thats all.

mrzeve
Mar 8, 2005, 09:10 PM
The current 256mb stick in my mac mini, and others, is pc3200....not 2700

and if you would look it up the reason im asking about the computer beeping is because i want to know if 1 beep could mean my chip is DEAD not incompatible.

Blackheart
Mar 8, 2005, 10:15 PM
COME ON, the ram you bought doesnt fit your mac mini, thats why the beap!!!!
Go and change your 1gb Pc3200 ram for a 1gb pc 2700 ram, and stop crying, AND TIGER WILL RUN ON YOUR MACHINE!!!! (not core video or image) the radeon 9200 is the problem.

You, sir, are incorrect. PC3200 RAM will work in a Mac Mini the same as PC2700 RAM. They are not different sizes. The only catch is that the PC3200 RAM speed will be pared down to PC2700 because that's the speed of the Mac Mini bus.

mrzeve,

I'm guessing that the RAM you have is bad.

hob
Mar 11, 2005, 12:32 AM
One thing to keep your eye on is Hard Disk Capacity... I'm kicking myself now for only getting a 40GB hard disk... I'm having to take all my music off my internal, and onto the external drive I bought because the system is unbearably slow when trying to run it with less than 1GB hard-disk space... One day soon I'll buy a powermac and it'll all be happy again :)