PDA

View Full Version : Any problems with the iMac G5?

skubish
Feb 15, 2005, 09:05 PM
Are there a lot of problems with the iMac G5? I have been reading on the Apple support forum several problems with the screen, power supply, fan noise, etc.

Are these common problems?

jjmaximum
Feb 15, 2005, 09:23 PM
The wife and kids constantly fight over who is going to use it. Got it back in November and it has performed flawlessly. Remember they sold over 300,000 iMac G5s last quarter so there are bound to be a few problems - that is what a warranty is for.

Of course, as often discussed here, an update is probably coming this summer and it will also be a Rev B, so if you can wait a few months it may be worthwhile.

Scottyk9
Feb 15, 2005, 09:41 PM
Keep in mind that the Apple support forum is aptly named, as it is there to support those people having problems. Thus you have a biased sample - a high percentage of people go to those forums because they have a problem.

Now if you noticed the same comments on the Apple rave reviews forum, I would worry....

FWIW my 20" iMac G5 has worked flawlessly, although it is only a few months old...

daveL
Feb 15, 2005, 09:49 PM
My wife was an early adopter of a 20" iMac G5. We initially had a display problem after the first week. I swapped out the bad part, via Apple's customer fix-it scheme. We were back up and running in a week (the system actually ran, we just didn't have a display). Since then it's been flawless and my wife, a recent switcher, loves it.

JDar
Feb 15, 2005, 10:13 PM
Reading the Apple support forums will certainly make you nervous about ordering the G5 iMac, or it did me. I couldn't wait to plug it in and hear how loud the fans were and whether it made any other strange noises that I'd read about. It's been in use for about a month now and turned off only a few times. Cooling seems adequate as measure with Hardware Monitor/Temperature Monitor programs.

I stuck it full of aftermarket memory and it is recognized and functional. What a difference that made from the original 256. That was another hurdle I worried about after reading memory problems on Apple support forums.

It's much quieter than the G4 across the room, and both the G4 and the G5 iMacs are quieter than the old Gateway Profile humming across the room. Mine has been a perfect and capable machine. Using the target disk mode to transfer information from the G4 went smoothly, and there were only a few things to iron out after that.

The odds are that you'll get a perfect one, too. It's worth the worry.

mcmav37
Feb 15, 2005, 10:34 PM
I have had my iMac (see sig) for almost 4 months now and have had none of the major problems some have mentioned. When I first got it, I readjusted the Airport antenna and the bluetooth mouse occasionally loses connection (but it can easily be re-paired), but overall it has been quite a joy.

Apmonia
Feb 16, 2005, 01:23 AM
I have had my iMac G5 for about two months now and not one problem with it so far. (fingers crossed) If you are looking into getting one now I would say go for it. There probably won't be that much of an upgrade in the summer, maybe just a minor speedbump and hard drive size, but that's about it.

GorillaPaws
Feb 16, 2005, 01:45 AM
If you are looking into getting one now I would say go for it. There probably won't be that much of an upgrade in the summer, maybe just a minor speedbump and hard drive size, but that's about it.

Except, of coures, it'll probably ship with tiger pre-installed, but that's a given. ;)