Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WoodrowCall

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
Memphis, TN
I, like many others, spent from 1:00-2:15 or so watching the announcement of the iPad 2, which I've decided I'm definitely getting. I held out on the iPad because of the lack of camera, so it's worth it to me. I noticed the Airplay feature and I've thought about getting an :apple:TV, but wanted to know what everyone's experience has been with streaming to the :apple:tv. I just did a Speedtest and got 5.72 mb down and .42 up; does anyone have a similar connection speed? I'd like to know before I drop $100 on a new device, when I have a Freeagent+ that I don't love, but I can connect an external hdd to. Thanks for any help!

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Well, by "Home Network Streaming", do you mean "streaming content from your computer to an iOS device" (such as the AppleTV does, and 'iTunes Home Sharing' will do to the iPad,) or do you mean "streaming movies from the internet (such as the AppleTV playing iTunes rentals or NetFlix)?

If you mean solely local, then as long as your iOS device has a good WiFi signal, it should be fine.

WoodrowCall

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
Memphis, TN
Well, by "Home Network Streaming", do you mean "streaming content from your computer to an iOS device" (such as the AppleTV does, and 'iTunes Home Sharing' will do to the iPad,) or do you mean "streaming movies from the internet (such as the AppleTV playing iTunes rentals or NetFlix)?

If you mean solely local, then as long as your iOS device has a good WiFi signal, it should be fine.

To clarify, I basically meant streaming from my iMac to my Apple TV. But I'd also like to know if it would work well streaming over Airplay with an iPad. So, are you saying it doesn't matter all that much what speed my internet is?

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
To clarify, I basically meant streaming from my iMac to my Apple TV. But I'd also like to know if it would work well streaming over Airplay with an iPad. So, are you saying it doesn't matter all that much what speed my internet is?

It doesn't matter at all what your internet speed is. You could unplug your cable/DSL/whatever modem, and in-house streaming would work just fine. An 802.11n network with high signal to each device would be most reliable, but a good-signal 802.11g network should still work.

WoodrowCall

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
Memphis, TN
It doesn't matter at all what your internet speed is. You could unplug your cable/DSL/whatever modem, and in-house streaming would work just fine. An 802.11n network with high signal to each device would be most reliable, but a good-signal 802.11g network should still work.

Perfect, that was exactly what I wanted to know! Apple should give you a commission for that. ;)

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
Remember the Appletv has 8GB onboard storage, i believe, so even if the network is slow, give it a couple of mins before watching & you'll be fine.

it buffers well on local content over wireless, not so good on netflix, but thats another issue completly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.