Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
This was a disclaimer at the end of the iPad video on the mac site.

The iPad Smart Cover is sold separately. Some color may rub off leather covers during use.

WTF? Does this mean color could rub off onto your clothes, onto whatever you are carrying it in, at work, onto your ipad, onto your skin...???

Awesome tech, major flaw.

7even

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008

WTF? Does this mean color could rub off onto your clothes, onto whatever you are carrying it in, at work, onto your ipad, onto your skin...???

Hardly a major flaw. Have you ever owned a leather anything?

v66jack

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
London, UK

Clearly there are some things even Apple can't revolutionise. Like the properties of leather.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Clearly there are some things even Apple can't revolutionise. Like the properties of leather.
LOL :D But it's another thing the haters can whine about. Certainly someone will blame Apple about it and rank it up there with the Grip Of Death.:p

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
First up... I didn't realize it was leather. Yes, leather can do that, but...

My initial problem still stands.

Call it what you want - flaw, inherit problem, associated risk... whatever. it still is a problem considering the leather part of the case will come in contact with the warm-hot back of the ipad 2.

Like I said. Awesome tech and I hope this isn't a huge problem. But it's a deal breaker for me until we get feedback on it.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
When exactly is the last time you saw leather stain anodized aluminum?

I think you're imagining a "problem" that doesn't exist.

Now set the cover down on a damp white fabric, and sure it'll bleed. But onto the aluminum back? Don't think so.

7even

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008

Call it what you want - flaw, inherit problem, associated risk... whatever. it still is a problem considering the leather part of the case will come in contact with the warm-hot back of the ipad 2.

Like I said. Awesome tech and I hope this isn't a huge problem. But it's a deal breaker for me until we get feedback on it.

It's in your initial post in the quote:

Some color may rub off leather covers during use.

If you don't want leather, go for the non-leather cover.

patp

Apr 10, 2008

wow, you didn't realize it was leather? I just read your original post that states leather may rub off.

do you own a cover yet?
do you know for a fact the color will rub off onto your clothes?

are you crying over nothing?

yes, yes and def yes.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Man, this has got to be one of the funniest Apple complaint threads ever. Ceiling cat bless you, OP.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Will Smart Case fit iPad 1? Magnet power won't work but I don't see why it won't fit.

2 Owls

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
You didn't realise the leather cover was leather, you know its a real problem if it has three exclamation marks !!!

Urgent need to create a new thread!!! :D

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Watcha been smokin' on, Monkey?

That's a very good question! I'm all over the place.
But hey, I'm loving the design, but worried about the real world usage of this case.

And as for some of the other posters... Come on, lads, she's all a bit of fun.

But I reserve a special mention for PATP... and this lovely little mistake:

do you own a cover yet?
do you know for a fact the color will rub off onto your clothes?

are you crying over nothing?

yes, yes and def yes.

I think you've been smoking the same stuff as me!!! :)

MT0227

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
I see a two specific issues that would never get me to buy a Smart Cover.

1) Metal on metal where is attaches. I suspect that the sides of the iPad will start to show scratching and wear if used significantly.

2) The first time I look the other way at some hot chick who is looking at me and my iPad and I try to cover it, but drop those metal magnets directly into the screen as opposed to the side.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
1) Metal on metal where is attaches. I suspect that the sides of the iPad will start to show scratching and wear if used significantly.

2) The first time I look the other way at some hot chick who is looking at me and my iPad and I try to cover it, but drop those metal magnets directly into the screen as opposed to the side.

(1) It may be metal on metal, or there may be some film or other protective layer in place. I don't know and it's not entirely clear from the videos.

Does anyone have definitive knowledge it is in fact metal on metal? If so, I bet one of the many aftermarket companies will have a protective film available in short order, whether it be a full back coverage film or just a strip for that area.

(2) Screen protector.... and maintaining your focus. :D

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
I think more people should be concerned about the metal part of the smart cover scratching up the aluminum on the iPad. I mean unless it's lined with felt or something... It doesn't sound like it from the video though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.