Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JABevan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2002
I have a G4 400 Sawtooth that I'm using as a web server. I would like to add an internal RAID for data redundancy. I can setup a mirrored softraid, but if it's at all possible to setup a RAID 5 I'd like to.

MacMall lists a 4-CHANNEL ATA RAID 5 ADAP-CARD by Promise Technology here:
http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=493109

Does anyone have any experience with Promise Technology? And, more appropriately, can I install four hard drives in a G4 Sawtooth.

Also, the Sawtooths were previously limited to 1.5GB of RAM (due to OS 9.x?). A number of sources are indicating that OS X Jaguar will recognize 2GB, but I haven't been able to confirm this. Does anyone have any information in this regard?

Thanks in advance!!!

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
RAID 5

You want to do raid 5 on how many internal drives? Im guessing that you have 2. What kind of webserver are you running? What kind of availability are we talking about here? That seems like a bit of over kill plus you are going to loose lots of space and proformace due to over head. Software RAID 5 is not that great. Hardware is fantastic.. but it can be expensive. Do you do a lot of writes to your drives? If you just want a so fuss back up then just mirror the drives or compile rsync for OSX and have it update its self as often as you want... Im guessing that you wont need to do it that offten do to your type of use.

RAID 5 is normaly used for larger disk arrays (over 4 drives). At work, I use RAID 5 on most of my arrays and I also use a hot spair as well. It costs me a lot of space but.. I NEED the protection.

If you are thinking of moving to a Disk array and some hardware RAID device then you might want to wait for Apples. I hear that they are making a 2GB Fiber Disk Array for the Xserver. There are lots of venders that sell cheeper ones (relitively cheeper) that use FireWire and USB2.0.

... I would just go mirror or rsysc. You could also just write your own shell script that copies over your data regularly durring low availability times using cron.

-evildead

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.