PDA

View Full Version : Smart Cover is ****ing brilliant.

spazma7ik
Mar 2, 2011, 06:25 PM
Don't know that I'd ever use it, but damn that's pure brilliance. I'm impressed.

Thoughts?

BrunoMac
Mar 2, 2011, 06:28 PM
Bet them magnets scratch like all hell. I see them flopping. I love my apple case for my iPad. I hope it stays as an option.

MacDawg
Mar 2, 2011, 06:29 PM
Can't say I am a fan of the cover
Will have to see it in person

I love my Apple case right now

vincenz
Mar 2, 2011, 06:30 PM
I wonder if they're going to demo it in the store and how they're going to do it.

toxictrix
Mar 2, 2011, 06:31 PM
It seems a bit pricey for a flap...

Tmacfan4321
Mar 2, 2011, 06:31 PM
I don't agree, at all. It's not that great of an idea.

I'm excited to see what third party case manufacturers will do with the magnets (?) in the iPad that will allow it to be woken up by this cover. It will offer extra functionality for other cases, but the smart cover really isn't all that useful.

Roessnakhan
Mar 2, 2011, 06:32 PM
One would think a smart cover would be smart enough to cover the back too.

spazma7ik
Mar 2, 2011, 06:32 PM
Exactly, in real world situations it isn't that useful, hence why I'd never use one. But on paper and in demo, it's brilliant!

Tmacfan4321
Mar 2, 2011, 06:35 PM
But they don't want to cover the pretty design!

It's not going to be too pretty after it gets scratched to hell because the case didn't cover the back.

trekkie604
Mar 2, 2011, 06:36 PM
So it works like a Blackberry's OEM holster... Not that great a case either since it doesn't cover the back at all...

tritonj
Mar 2, 2011, 06:39 PM
palm pilots use to include flap covers in the box for free. $39 for a cover that is a flap is hilarious, but if they can get that much for it then you can't fault apple for doing it

i prefer to old case

and you gotta love the marketing. "smart cover" what exactly is smart about it?

Tmacfan4321
Mar 2, 2011, 06:40 PM
So it works like a Blackberry's OEM holster... Not that great a case either since it doesn't cover the back at all...
That's what it is. I had forgotten where it came from. The sleeper magnet on the back of that case was an awesome idea in 2005.

HXGuy
Mar 2, 2011, 06:40 PM
But they don't want to cover the pretty design!

It's not going to be too pretty after it gets scratched to hell because the case didn't cover the back.

But what is really the point of having an unscratched back...if you never see it?

I'm not saying having a scratched back is good...but you could have a gouge in it and if you have a cover, you'd never know it. They could have made the back out of green plastic with red dots and if you use a cover, who cares, right?

Now I do use a case on my iPad 1...but it's so I can stand it up on its own, and that's the purpose that the Smart Case will serve as well.

If you are really concerned about scratches, get one of those invisible shield things for the back.

Roessnakhan
Mar 2, 2011, 06:41 PM
But what is really the point of having an unscratched back...if you never see it?

Resell value.

Tmacfan4321
Mar 2, 2011, 06:47 PM

I'm not saying having a scratched back is good...but you could have a gouge in it and if you have a cover, you'd never know it. They could have made the back out of green plastic with red dots and if you use a cover, who cares, right?

Now I do use a case on my iPad 1...but it's so I can stand it up on its own, and that's the purpose that the Smart Case will serve as well.

If you are really concerned about scratches, get one of those invisible shield things for the back.
It's just about keeping it in good condition. The plastic films look really terrible; if they aren't applied right, they'll get bubbles and they also get dirty over time.

It's all about keeping your stuff in good condition. Resale value would be the main argument for people who buy Apple products.

bindle
Mar 2, 2011, 06:48 PM
Pretty neat how it works, and cute enough to sell a lot I'm sure. I bet the $5 knockoffs on eBay will work just as well though. And hopefully it connects just as strong over a clear skin on the device, which I'm sure would make a good combination.

That said, not exactly my kind of case/cover.

zhenya
Mar 2, 2011, 06:49 PM
Do you folks also use those plastic couch covers so that your furniture will be in pristine condition when your kids take it to the Salvation Army? :D

Eclipse278
Mar 2, 2011, 06:50 PM
I usually carry my ipad in a briefcase/bag with lots of other books and things. I don't think the magnets will do a decent enough job of staying attached. They don't protect the back of the ipad, and they only need to fall off once for the screen to get scratched to hell.

Plus, who knows what else in my bag will get stuck to those magnets, even without a cover.

Tmacfan4321
Mar 2, 2011, 06:54 PM
Do you folks also use those plastic couch covers so that your furniture will be in pristine condition when your kids take it to the Salvation Army? :D
No, it's just that after my experience with my MBP, I've learned that Aluminium is a fairly soft metal. It scratches easily, dents easily, and just isn't that durable overall.

If I were to keep this laptop/iPad forever, I would keep a cover off of it and just let it take hits as they come, but I am someone who upgrades early and often; I need to be able to get as much money out of the stuff that I buy as possible.

I'd rather spend a few bucks on a case than end up losing more money when I try to sell it back. It's less of a big deal when it comes to the iPad, as it will probably hold value better percentage-wise, regardless of its condition, but it's still a valid concern.

Blorzoga
Mar 2, 2011, 06:55 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Looks like garbage. No back protection. Can't stand up in portrait. Will most certainly scratch the back. No drop protection. It seems very greedy of apple to make cases. They should stick to the hardware. I bet the magnets interfere with the compass too.

BeSweeet
Mar 2, 2011, 06:57 PM
Does anybody know how the iPad 2 is able to tell whether or not the cover is closed? I initially thought "NFC", but I guess not.

JRoDDz
Mar 2, 2011, 07:02 PM
I think it's a great design. I'm sure there will be 3rd party covers for the back that will work with the front cover as well.

deeddawg
Mar 2, 2011, 07:03 PM
Does anybody know how the iPad 2 is able to tell whether or not the cover is closed? I initially thought "NFC", but I guess not.

Answer above -- blackberry does this with their phone holsters

Magnet in the flap somewhere on the right edge. Hall effect sensor inside the iPad at the correct spot. iPad knows when a magnet comes close to the sensor.

DeeEss
Mar 2, 2011, 07:09 PM
I think it looks very un apple, clunky, boofy looking and doesn't even look like it will protect it that well, and on the back not at all. What are you going to do have a another cover to put it in when you carry it in a bag? Nah. And those magnets are just going scratch it after a year of use. Lastly, I can imagine there will be alot of dropped ipads because people grab the cover and the magnets come undon.

No thanks.

Beezy
Mar 2, 2011, 07:11 PM

Haha no and my furniture is looking beat and my iPhone has scratches all over it. I dont worry about resale value. I would go mad and anyway this thing I am hoping gets me at least 2 years use.

PatrickCocoa
Mar 2, 2011, 07:16 PM
palm pilots use to include flap covers in the box for free. $39 for a cover that is a flap is hilarious, but if they can get that much for it then you can't fault apple for doing it

i prefer to old case

and you gotta love the marketing. "smart cover" what exactly is smart about it?

I assume that was a rhetorical question, but I'll answer it anyway. What's smart about the cover is that it, in conjunction with the iPad 2 itself, can communicate whether it's covering the iPad 2 or not covering the iPad 2. The iPad 2 can then use the "I'm not covering" information to wake up.

3goldens
Mar 2, 2011, 07:17 PM

second that!

however I love all these comments about scratching and magnets when no one here has even really seen it.

can't imagine apple didn't compensate taking this into consideration before releasing. after all for the most part their pretty good at designing things.

well with the exception of not covering the back and using aluminum that does search and DENT easily!

Coukos34
Mar 2, 2011, 07:21 PM

...And one who is smart, would know that it would need to be a smart "case" in order to cover the entire iPad :rolleyes:

DeeEss
Mar 2, 2011, 07:21 PM
I don't want any stupid smart cover or it's magnets.

If you leave the damn magnets out can I have it cheaper?

fishcube
Mar 2, 2011, 07:35 PM
Its "smart" because when you open and close the cover, the ipad sleeps and unsleeps etc.

Also magnets won't scratch screen because magnets are internal, inside the cover material.

DaGreat01
Mar 2, 2011, 07:37 PM
The current apple case doesn't protect the ipad from dents either...not really a good argument.

All of use who have seen the cause before it is on knows that that thin material is not going to protect the iPad when you accidentally hit it with the corner of something. You are GOING to get a dent regardless...

rx4success2012
Mar 2, 2011, 07:45 PM

totally agree, what is to protect the back from getting all messed up

Tmacfan4321
Mar 2, 2011, 07:48 PM
I assume that was a rhetorical question, but I'll answer it anyway. What's smart about the cover is that it, in conjunction with the iPad 2 itself, can communicate whether it's covering the iPad 2 or not covering the iPad 2. The iPad 2 can then use the "I'm not covering" information to wake up.
Look up the term "sleeper magnet."

This tech isn't all that smart or even relatively cutting-edge. BlackBerries have been using this for years.

OSMac
Mar 2, 2011, 07:49 PM
http://www.apple.com/ipad/#smart-cover

Notice when it comes out of sleep by lifting the cover, no password required ?

NDDL05
Mar 2, 2011, 08:04 PM
So what happens when you fold the cover back to hold the iPad in your hands? Are there magnets back there to hold the cover in place as well, or is it just going to be flapping around? Everyone is so focused on the "stand" feature that they aren't showing the cover being used in-hand.

About 1 minute into Gizmodo's hands-on video you see the Apple rep folding the cover back, but it doesn't seem secure. In fact she seems to find it awkward to hold in that manner and folds the cover in half.

nvcplus
Mar 2, 2011, 08:06 PM
I can't wait for it. I use my ipad fairly often and do not have a case on it. I do not care about preserving the back of the case from the small scratches it may receive. It is a portable media device, big deal. It is supposed to be used.

For all the resellers, good for you. Maybe you should get out of the luxury toy market if $100 difference in price is going to make or break your upgrade.

God there are so many whiney tools on this forum. So witty too. Herp derp, if it is so smart, how come it don't protect the back? AHHAHAHuiewhiuhjdoen!!N!h

nvcplus
Mar 2, 2011, 08:07 PM
http://www.apple.com/ipad/#smart-cover

Notice when it comes out of sleep by lifting the cover, no password required ?

Most likely if you have it password protected, it will bring up the password entry screen.

marksman
Mar 2, 2011, 08:08 PM
Bet them magnets scratch like all hell. I see them flopping. I love my apple case for my iPad. I hope it stays as an option.

Do you know anything about magnets?

Roessnakhan
Mar 2, 2011, 08:10 PM

********* magnets, how do they work?

zenio
Mar 2, 2011, 08:12 PM
It seems a bit pricey for a flap...

Welcome to the world of Apple.

Apples goal is to suck the money out of you at every turn. :)

Apple gets what Apple wants. ALWAYS.

nvcplus
Mar 2, 2011, 08:14 PM
So what happens when you fold the cover back to hold the iPad in your hands? Are there magnets back there to hold the cover in place as well, or is it just going to be flapping around? Everyone is so focused on the "stand" feature that they aren't showing the cover being used in-hand.

Well it isn't entirely clear yet, but it is possible it sticks to the back slightly. At any rate, it can be easily removed with a simple pull and then put right back on. So it isn't that big of a deal if it doesn't stick to the back.

About 1 minute into Gizmodo's hands-on video you see the Apple rep folding the cover back, but it doesn't seem secure. In fact she seems to find it awkward to hold in that manner and folds the cover in half.

It seems quite secure. It never looked like it was going to come off. It doesn't look awkward. She is just trying to get the best angle/holding position. I mean, why try and find something that isn't there? On top of it, why speculate to this degree until YOU yourself can test it out?

OSMac
Mar 2, 2011, 08:15 PM
Most likely if you have it password protected, it will bring up the password entry screen.

Now if you have password protection off, the slide to unlock screen shows.
Not seeing it either in the video...

BrunoMac
Mar 2, 2011, 08:15 PM

It's going to be metal on metal, with the shifting and what not that takes place I can imagine it will scratch. I hope it works great.

GoCubsGo
Mar 2, 2011, 08:16 PM
Not a fan of the price point nor the concept overall. The iPad case, while it covers the design, certainly lends to being useful. This cover seems as though it's a $10 product with a $40 price tag, more if you want leather.

nvcplus
Mar 2, 2011, 08:20 PM
I scroll with my middle finger to remind Steve Jobs that he can F off

You're so cool! Can I be your friend? :):):)

deeddawg
Mar 2, 2011, 08:21 PM
It's going to be metal on metal, with the shifting and what not that takes place I can imagine it will scratch. I hope it works great.

So you know for sure there is no thin plastic layer or something on the cover to prevent metal on metal contact?

I don't know. Maybe there is, maybe there isn't.

But I'm curious how you know?

Smart thing would be to hold off and let others post their experiences. Cool cover for sure, but there will be other options in short order i bet. At least then you can know if you need to get a film for the back case.

This cover seems as though it's a $10 product with a $40 price tag, more if you want leather.

And this is different from any other OEM accessory how? :D I agree, $40 is a lot even though its pretty cool.

Blorzoga
Mar 2, 2011, 08:21 PM
I can't wait for it. I use my ipad fairly often and do not have a case on it. I do not care about preserving the back of the case from the small scratches it may receive. It is a portable media device, big deal. It is supposed to be used.

For all the resellers, good for you. Maybe you should get out of the luxury toy market if $100 difference in price is going to make or break your upgrade.

God there are so many whiney tools on this forum. So witty too. Herp derp, if it is so smart, how come it don't protect the back? AHHAHAHuiewhiuhjdoen!!N!h

Please leave, troll

nvcplus
Mar 2, 2011, 08:30 PM
Please leave, troll

Screw you. I am not trolling. Why don't you leave? You're the one whining about a case. I am merely stated my opinion on it without resorting to acting like Apple is the devil or making unfunny jokes.

If you are just soooooo unimpressed, why even bother? So you can tell people how cool you are or to put stuff down that others may think is a pretty good idea?

Opinion is one thing, but you guys almost want to rub apple's face in it like it killed your first born child. And THAT makes you way more of a troll.

Tmacfan4321
Mar 2, 2011, 08:35 PM

The magnets are under the bezel, just like the magnets in the MacBook's lid.

NDDL05
Mar 2, 2011, 08:42 PM
Well it isn't entirely clear yet, but it is possible it sticks to the back slightly. At any rate, it can be easily removed with a simple pull and then put right back on. So it isn't that big of a deal if it doesn't stick to the back.

It seems quite secure. It never looked like it was going to come off. It doesn't look awkward. She is just trying to get the best angle/holding position. I mean, why try and find something that isn't there? On top of it, why speculate to this degree until YOU yourself can test it out?

Thats a good point about simply being able to remove the cover. And I very well may have misinterpreted the Apple rep's handling of the device. I was just curious since I haven't seen anyone actually consider that fact.

As to my speculation, why are ANY of us here talking about the device before it comes out? I'm just having fun reading about new tech, and there is nothing wrong with that as far as I'm concerned.

nvcplus
Mar 2, 2011, 09:20 PM
As to my speculation, why are ANY of us here talking about the device before it comes out? I'm just having fun reading about new tech, and there is nothing wrong with that as far as I'm concerned.

I am sorry if I came on a little harsh. I have been trying to have fun myself, but sifting through the bs on this forum and pretty much everywhere else has pretty much took any said fun out of it. I probably jumped the gun and tried to lump you into the 'haters' group trying to point out every last thing 'wrong' with it My apologies.

It is a cool device. The case seems fun. Can't wait to get my hands on it to know if I will be purchasing it or not though.

Scarpad
Mar 3, 2011, 07:39 AM
For my Current Ipod I have the Incase Magazine Jacket. It's alot like the original apple case, except this one does'nt get a Dirty, it has the abilty to stand in portrait or Landscape, or flat. And it covers the screen and the back, its a nice case. I can see Incase doing this design for the Ipad 2 with magnets for the front but covered in the back

fifi77
Mar 3, 2011, 07:58 AM
I think it's a clever, simple design and I like it but, like others, I worry about the lack of protection for the back. It's good that the cover can be folded back so that you can lay the iPad down on surfaces without the back coming into direct contact with them, but I think there's a huge potential for the edge of the iPad to become very scratched whilst you're using the cover propped up in the typing position.

If I were going to get one, I wouldn't rely on using it on its own, I'd have to put it in some kind of padded sleeve for travelling around.

I also think the pastel colours could potentially get very dirty. I tend to favour dark colours personally, so I'd be looking at the leather.

Tailpike1153
Mar 3, 2011, 08:03 AM
I don't agree, at all. It's not that great of an idea.

I'm excited to see what third party case manufacturers will do with the magnets (?) in the iPad that will allow it to be woken up by this cover. It will offer extra functionality for other cases, but the smart cover really isn't all that useful.

If the price is right, Apple will probably license that functionality to 3rd accessory makers.

Night Spring
Mar 3, 2011, 08:17 AM
If the price is right, Apple will probably license that functionality to 3rd accessory makers.

License what functionality? The magnets are there, I don't think other case manufacturers need Apple's permission to use them. Unless you are talking about something else?

Loves2spoon
Mar 3, 2011, 08:21 AM
I don't want the back to get scratched, hopefully there will be a wide variety of real cases available at launch.

Yaboze
Mar 3, 2011, 01:36 PM
Will the previous Apple iPad case work with the iPad 2?

I can see these side hinge magnets scratching the metal side of the iPad 2. :(

deeddawg
Mar 3, 2011, 01:58 PM
Will the previous Apple iPad case work with the iPad 2?

ipad2 is 0.06" shorter, 0.16" narrower, and 0.16" thinner.

So if you like wearing clothes two sizes to big, it might "work". Probably look like heck though.

-- Lew

DaGreat01
Mar 3, 2011, 03:06 PM
I think it makes some sense that the cover only covers the screen. The iPad 2 really only has a front and a back. If apple made a case that covered both, then there would be too many holes cut out for it.

Think about it

-Headphone jack
-Lock button
-Speaker (pretty large one too)
-Camera
-Mic (not near the headphone jack anymore)
-Volume controls
-Rotation/Mute switch
-Dock

That would just be too many separate cutouts for a case. We all saw how ugly those cases that we have been seeing for a few months now look. Plus, with the smartcover, when you are sitting it up in landscape, it wont cover the back camera.

Seamaster
Mar 3, 2011, 04:10 PM
Yoobao will clean up offering a version of the original Apple iPad case modified to fit iPad 2. Punters want all-round protection the Smart Cover doesn't offer it.

JonMPLS
Mar 3, 2011, 05:02 PM
Another potential fan here. Really clever, and an absolute minimum additional thickness. Hate to think I might upgrade for the case rather than the iPad . . .;)

Mwing
Mar 4, 2011, 03:40 AM
brilliant

http://unwire.hk/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/ipad2-smartcover.png

pic from unwire.hk

2 Owls
Mar 4, 2011, 05:06 AM
Yeah, cos its blue and it folds.

aluren
Mar 4, 2011, 02:44 PM
I think it's cool as a stand because it doesn't add bulk and can be easily removed. I agree it's overpriced, but everything at Apple is overpriced, so why complain now?

M87
Mar 4, 2011, 03:20 PM
I think it's a really nice design. I'm not worried about the back. I usually don't use a case on my stuff anyway, and I've never had trouble selling it when it's time to upgrade. Only problem is picking a color. The blue is nice, the red too and the orange would match my favorite guitar amplifier. Hmmm...

DaGreat01
Mar 4, 2011, 07:48 PM
For me it's between the blue and the gray. I would really like all of them, but that would be $400.

The blue looks nice with the black. And the gray looks nice with the aluminum.

Ahhh decisions decisions

Aussieiphone
Mar 5, 2011, 01:20 AM
Sitting enjoy a coffee in the cafe with my new iPad2, propped up on the nice smart cover watching a Netflix movie. Fold the cover back over when it's time to leave. Arrive home and open the cover with a coffee stain on the inside and crumbs. I failed to notice the c*ap on the table (assumed the previous person had cleaned up after themselves/didn't eat and drink like an animal).

Cover should fold into itself.

kultschar
Mar 5, 2011, 04:04 AM
Resell value.

Yup - I kept my iPad 1 mint with the Apple cover and got back what I paid for it only last month as I could sell it "Mint"

MikePA
Mar 5, 2011, 04:16 AM
It's just about keeping it in good condition. The plastic films look really terrible; if they aren't applied right, they'll get bubbles and they also get dirty over time.

It's all about keeping your stuff in good condition. Resale value would be the main argument for people who buy Apple products.

What's the price difference between a 'pristine' 1 year old iPad and one that shows normal wear?

MikePA
Mar 5, 2011, 04:18 AM
Yup - I kept my iPad 1 mint with the Apple cover and got back what I paid for it only last month as I could sell it "Mint"

Then you found a fool for a buyer since they could have bought a new iPad 1 for $100 less than the original purchase price.

JustSomeDude
Mar 5, 2011, 04:26 AM
The cover looks like a slick idea to me. From the video, it looks a third party could modify the design to integrate a back cover. They could probably make a tougher front cover too.

Thomaz
Mar 5, 2011, 05:41 AM
When holding the iPad in portrait position, the camera is centered and in perfect position for facetime or skype call...

I wonder if that's the case in landscape position too (left or right side). As landscape is the only position the smart cover allows this might be an issue...

Can't find any info about that on apple's site...

Mitch2742
Mar 5, 2011, 12:18 PM
Will probably purchase one of these along with the wireless keyboard.

v66jack
Mar 5, 2011, 12:25 PM
For me it's between the blue and the gray. I would really like all of them, but that would be $400.

The blue looks nice with the black. And the gray looks nice with the aluminum.

Ahhh decisions decisions

I'm attracted to the orange, but I also like the black. Hmmm, I wish Apple did a buy one get on half price or something offer. Then I would defiantly get both.

I can but dream

gigaguy
Mar 5, 2011, 03:25 PM
We're assuming magnets are both in the cover and in the iPad? They could have just put magnets in the cover and metal in the ipad? or vice versa? I guess magnets in both is stronger? but magnets only in the cover would seem like a good design if it was workable.

v66jack
Mar 5, 2011, 03:29 PM
We're assuming magnets are both in the cover and in the iPad? They could have just put magnets in the cover and metal in the ipad? or vice versa? I guess magnets in both is stronger? but magnets only in the cover would seem like a good design if it was workable.
Anyone else notice not all the covers are posted on Apple.com sale page and they keep changing. there were 7 of 10 listed at first, now there are only 6. Both blues were not there before, and are now, and I think the orange was there and is not now.

Apple do seem to have trouble with shipping anything in more than one colour. Ie iPhone 4, bumpers let's see if they can get the iPad and there covers right. I'm not holding my breath though

striatedglutes
Mar 5, 2011, 03:41 PM
License what functionality? The magnets are there, I don't think other case manufacturers need Apple's permission to use them. Unless you are talking about something else?
You got trolled :p
brilliant

http://unwire.hk/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/ipad2-smartcover.png

pic from unwire.hk

Good designers copy. Great designers steal.

Personally, I hope someone can create something that will do both portrait and landscape stands in something like a Smart Cover.

gigaguy
Mar 5, 2011, 04:52 PM
I deleted my comment about not all covers being on the iPad accessories page, but when you click on one of the covers there, it goes to an order page which shows all the choices as pickable. not sure if this will be the case on launch day.

gigaguy
Mar 6, 2011, 11:54 AM
Is the back side of the leather covers grey microfiber also? Someone posted that the leather ones are same color on both sides whereas the polys are grey micro on the back?
Where is a picture of the leather ones both sides??

Oops
----I see it on apple. backside microfibre- Leathers match, polys are all grey. tho the black leather looks like dark grey microfiber.

mac jones
Mar 6, 2011, 11:11 PM
it's a flop :D