PDA

View Full Version : iPad 2 Launch - Walden Galleria Buffalo, NY

conshok26
Mar 2, 2011, 07:43 PM
Due to work I'm not going to be able to get there early. I'll probably end up getting there right at 5. I really hope there won't be a huge line. I'd love to spend Saturday with the iPad. I sold my iPad last month and have been going through withdrawal.

Anyone else plan on showing up? What time?

Haysbert
Mar 3, 2011, 12:40 PM
Thinking about it but probably just going to grab it online. I wouldn't be able to get there till about 6:30-7:00 so who knows then with the lines/stock supply.

Anyone else?

timdafweak
Mar 3, 2011, 02:54 PM
Will be there ~ 4:30PM after work. If there's a long line, I will probably get mine from Best buy, or across the road at Sam's.

rishin
Mar 3, 2011, 10:52 PM

pelicanflip
Mar 4, 2011, 09:54 AM
i'll be there, eagerly waiting for my ipad 2. the line shouldn't that bad, i remember picking up my first ipad there with no problems whatsoever.

Haysbert
Mar 4, 2011, 04:59 PM
i'll be there, eagerly waiting for my ipad 2. the line shouldn't that bad, i remember picking up my first ipad there with no problems whatsoever.

I unfortunately missed the iPad launch so itís good to hear that there wasnít that big of an issue with availability. Plus, not like there isnít a Best Buy right across and a Target down the street.

kyleaa
Mar 5, 2011, 09:09 PM
I'll probably go when I get out of work at 5:30. I'm thinking they must expect to have good stock since they arent doing preorders and are launching in 26 additional countries two weeks later.

conshok26
Mar 6, 2011, 12:15 AM
I'm planning to make the drive from Toronto. I'm going on vacation a few days after and I'd like to have a 64 GB White Wifi model. I'm just a bit worried that there will be Limited stock/that it will sell out fast because of other Canadians coming and buying them too. Still a bit torn :confused:

That's what I'm sort of scared of too since you guys don't officially get it until the 25th. I'm going for the same model as you and I hoping other people are looking to go on the low end and get the 16GB or 32GB.

kmark55
Mar 6, 2011, 04:57 PM
Hey all, I registered just for this thread, I figured we could all help each other out on launch day.

Can anyone who is going to the Galleria Mall or the other stores mentioned in this thread on launch day please update this thread with how busy it is? I know a lot of people can't make it there until 5 or later, so if we all post in here and say how many people are in line, and if it looks like they are gonna run out soon, we can make it easier for those who can't get there early to line up. Post here too if they are sold out.

conshok26
Mar 6, 2011, 07:47 PM
It worries me that this topic has been viewed over 200 times. I really hope the do a reservation.

profets
Mar 7, 2011, 12:51 PM
It worries me that this topic has been viewed over 200 times. I really hope the do a reservation.

Haha.. sounds like it could get busy.. especially on a late friday afternoon.

mcfadyen
Mar 7, 2011, 06:03 PM
I'll be there with my two boys - all this after a long morning/afternoon at Sick Kids' in Toronto, and then the beginning of our trip south for March Break!

Will make for a long day, but fun time (I think?)

rishin
Mar 8, 2011, 01:26 AM

profets
Mar 8, 2011, 08:54 PM
I'll be there with my two boys - all this after a long morning/afternoon at Sick Kids' in Toronto, and then the beginning of our trip south for March Break!

Will make for a long day, but fun time (I think?)

Ohhh geez.. didn't even think about the timing with the beginning of the March Break.

Hey guys, have a question for some of the Canadians that have gone up to Buffalo in the past (particularily last years iPad launch). What would duties/taxes be coming back through the border on the iPad? I'm not going to risk saying nothing/lying so I'm just going to declare it, no big deal, just if it's going to be like 20% duties plus taxes it's not even worth it to make the trek.

When you declare it you have to pay HST (13%).

timdafweak
Mar 10, 2011, 09:33 AM
Does anyone know whether the Best Buy next to the Apple Store will be carrying the iPad2? In other words, will all Best Buy stores be carrying the new iPad?

I plan to buy it from Best Buy if the Apple Store lines are horrendous. I plan to reach there ~ 4:30PM.

Haysbert
Mar 10, 2011, 04:42 PM
Does anyone know whether the Best Buy next to the Apple Store will be carrying the iPad2? In other words, will all Best Buy stores be carrying the new iPad?

I plan to buy it from Best Buy if the Apple Store lines are horrendous. I plan to reach there ~ 4:30PM.

I believe it will be available at the same time, heres a link fron Engadget
http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/10/ipad-2-goes-on-sale-tomorrow-5pm-local-time-in-stores-1am-pt-o/.
I think I'm going to avoid everything and just order online. Good luck to everyone.

conshok26
Mar 11, 2011, 05:58 AM
If people in line could update us who can't show until later that would be great.

Kem0488
Mar 11, 2011, 09:20 AM
Here now line up started with people waiting in cars at 4am its starting to get pretty bad but still reasonable.

rishin
Mar 11, 2011, 09:41 AM

Kem0488
Mar 11, 2011, 10:22 AM
Looks to be at least that now. Keep going inside store to ask about numbers but apparently they have yet to count (or maybe even have them yet) all of them. Best buy set up ropes for a line up but only like one or two people in line.

conshok26
Mar 11, 2011, 10:55 AM
This isnt looking too good for me. Hoping there is a 64gb for me when I get there.

mcfadyen
Mar 11, 2011, 11:50 AM
The line has gone down the side of the store wall and looped back around toward the Apple main entrance - probably about 200 people here. They are giving out Tim Horton's Coffee (yeah, Canada!) and told us that the people currently in line shouldn't be worried about not getting an iPad. Hope that helps! I'll try to update again at some point.

timdafweak
Mar 11, 2011, 12:06 PM
Wow... it seems unlikely that I'll be able to get one today.

mcfadyen
Mar 11, 2011, 12:15 PM
Wow... it seems unlikely that I'll be able to get one today.

Best Buy line was at 7, though there is a sign up there that says they only have wifi models.

timdafweak
Mar 11, 2011, 12:17 PM
Thanks for that mcfayden, I think I'll head there at 4:30PM... I am only interested in the base 16GB model.

mcfadyen
Mar 11, 2011, 12:21 PM
Thanks for that mcfayden, I think I'll head there at 4:30PM... I am only interested in the base 16GB model.

Good luck! Hope you get one.
I'll swing by in an hour and update you on the line status

timdafweak
Mar 11, 2011, 12:23 PM
Good luck! Hope you get one.
I'll swing by in an hour and update you on the line status

Thanks! Which one are you interested in, and where in the line are you? Alas, I wish I could've taken the day off.

mcfadyen
Mar 11, 2011, 12:25 PM
Thanks! Which one are you interested in, and where in the line are you? Alas, I wish I could've taken the day off.

Close to halfway down the line. Has been a long day already...
Hopefully 16GB 3G.

timdafweak
Mar 11, 2011, 12:31 PM
Good luck to you! I must say I am rather surprised at the large turnout. I didn't expect that at all. Perhaps 20-50, by 5PM is what I thought. Boy was I wrong.

If per chance Best Buy runs out of the iPads, my last resort will be the Target down the block. I reeaaally want my iPad today!

bryankacz
Mar 11, 2011, 12:33 PM
Anyone who was around for the original iPad launch know how quick the line moves once 5:00 hits? Will it be another 2 hours before the 200 people who are already there make it through the purchase process?

mcfadyen
Mar 11, 2011, 12:36 PM
Good luck to you! I must say I am rather surprised at the large turnout. I didn't expect that at all. Perhaps 20-50, by 5PM is what I thought. Boy was I wrong.

If per chance Best Buy runs out of the iPads, my last resort will be the Target down the block. I reeaaally want my iPad today!

Thanks! Has been fun so far, but Paul Blart Mall Cop just rolled around and forced my 5 and 6 year old boys off their fold out chairs. "mall rules" apparently. And two people were threatened to be taken out in cuffs if they were caught on their chairs again. Nice.

Apple tried to pull strings to get my boys back on their chairs. And they were super nice and apologized.

It's a fun lineup. Coffee and water delivered. Minus Paul Blart, it's the perfect afternoon!

Haysbert
Mar 11, 2011, 12:39 PM
Thanks! Has been fun so far, but Paul Blart Mall Cop just rolled around and forced my 5 and 6 year old boys off their fold out chairs. "mall rules" apparently. And two people were threatened to be taken out in cuffs if they were caught on their chairs again. Nice.

Apple tried to pull strings to get my boys back on their chairs. And they were super nice and apologized.

It's a fun lineup. Coffee and water delivered. Minus Paul Blart, it's the perfect afternoon!

Wow that is ridiculous. At the iPhone 4 launch a lot of us had folding chairs and not a word was said. Hope you get one though! I ordered online in the early morning so I have to play the waiting game at home.

mcfadyen
Mar 11, 2011, 12:53 PM
Wow that is ridiculous. At the iPhone 4 launch a lot of us had folding chairs and not a word was said. Hope you get one though! I ordered online in the early morning so I have to play the waiting game at home.

Yeah. Really strange. Oh well, at least Apple tried to help!

timdafweak
Mar 11, 2011, 01:04 PM
You should snap a pic and send it to the nice folk at 9to5mac. They are posting users' pictures of the lines around the US. With ~200 people I think Buffalo, NY would be the clear leader...

mcfadyen
Mar 11, 2011, 01:12 PM
You should snap a pic and send it to the nice folk at 9to5mac. They are posting users' pictures of the lines around the US. With ~200 people I think Buffalo, NY would be the clear leader...

We are onto our third loop here. Seems like a popular spot!

mcfadyen
Mar 11, 2011, 01:33 PM

Just sent a photo in.
Best buy line is at 30

mcfadyen
Mar 11, 2011, 01:47 PM
Now definitely over 200. Pretty much at the end of the third loop with a fourth ready to start.

http://theisaacfoundation.com/photo.jpg

timdafweak
Mar 11, 2011, 01:48 PM
Oof, another 1h15 till I can get out of work. Hang in there mcfadyen, only 2h15 to go. How long have you guys been there?

mcfadyen
Mar 11, 2011, 01:50 PM
Oof, another 1h15 till I can get out of work. Hang in there mcfadyen, only 2h15 to go. How long have you guys been there?

We got here at about 1:00.
Hope you get here!

diacritic
Mar 11, 2011, 02:14 PM
What are my chances of getting an ipad if I drop in at 8:00pm?

mcfadyen
Mar 11, 2011, 02:19 PM
What are my chances of getting an ipad if I drop in at 8:00pm?

Honestly, probably pretty slim. Want me to walk over and check the BB line again?

diacritic
Mar 11, 2011, 02:23 PM
Honestly, probably pretty slim. Want me to walk over and check the BB line again?

No, that's alright... I'll probably swing by a target at 5:00 to try my luck but I don't have time to wait at the apple store as I have to be elsewhere at 6:00.

mcfadyen
Mar 11, 2011, 02:36 PM
Fixed the photo link above. The line is halfway through the fourth loop by now...

timdafweak
Mar 11, 2011, 02:38 PM
lol too good! Thanks for the pic update - really sad that I am missing this. Not like I'm being extra productive at work anyway ; )

corgan126
Mar 11, 2011, 02:39 PM

Hey mcfadyen, thanks for the updates. Just curious if they've given any updates on the number of iPads they have? I was thinking of stopping by around 5. Thanks!

mcfadyen
Mar 11, 2011, 02:46 PM
Hey mcfadyen, thanks for the updates. Just curious if they've given any updates on the number of iPads they have? I was thinking of stopping by around 5. Thanks!

No problem on updates.
When I was at the end of the line, they told me that everyone here would get one - I'm now about at the halfway point in the line.

Below are my patient boys with their older nephew - we've had a long day. Early/long morning at Sick Kids' in Toronto and then in line here. But it's been fun!

http://theisaacfoundation.com/line.jpg

kyleaa
Mar 11, 2011, 02:55 PM
Does anyone know if they are allowing 2 per person like they did with the original iPad?

bryankacz
Mar 11, 2011, 03:05 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Everyone keeps saying they're allowing 2, but I haven't heard that from anyone official.

Viking!Mac!
Mar 11, 2011, 03:38 PM
Hello all brave souls standing in line at the apple store. I am truly jelous that i could be there at 4am :( alas i am stuck at work just accross the river and wont get there untill 6:30. has anyone gained any insight into stock levels? if they are allowing 2 per person i will pay $850 for a 32gb 3g thats a net of $60 for the person that grabs it:) lol not much i know but may cover at least part of a missed day at work

SkottDMD
Mar 11, 2011, 03:53 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Does anyone know if they are allowing 2 per person like they did with the original iPad?

Two per person at this time, unless they run short. That's what we were told this morning. Looks like they're just about to start taking names, considering the length of the line I think it's something they should have done about an hour ago.

timdafweak
Mar 11, 2011, 03:57 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I am here and wow is it crazy!

timdafweak
Mar 11, 2011, 03:58 PM

Best Buy didn't get their shipment. That really stinks. Target is sold out already.

mcfadyen
Mar 11, 2011, 04:02 PM
Now open for business! Wonder how fast this line will travel?

timdafweak
Mar 11, 2011, 04:03 PM

Almost.. Look at the security!

timdafweak
Mar 11, 2011, 04:06 PM

Have fun Mcfayden. I decided against buying today. The line is way too long. I'll be here forever. Good luck and have a good evening.

mcfadyen
Mar 11, 2011, 04:06 PM

Almost.. Look at the security!

Got my ticket. Hope you guys behind get one too! See you in the store.

spurbs
Mar 11, 2011, 04:43 PM
Can someone ask if they are getting another shipment tomorrow?

conshok26
Mar 11, 2011, 08:48 PM
thanks to everyone for the updates. Happy to walk out of there with mine.

profets
Mar 12, 2011, 06:18 AM
Anyone heading over there today?

diacritic
Mar 12, 2011, 07:13 AM
For those of you who were there late on Friday, did they have many of the smart covers in stock? I'm looking to get a red or black leather. (I was able to snag an ipad 2 from an area target.) Thanks!

clcmae
Mar 12, 2011, 08:25 AM
Anyone heading over there today?

I'm hoping to go soon. At the original launch last year, I arrived at Walden at noon and made it through the line in about 2 hours. I expect the iPad 2 hype to die down faster. Hopefully I'm right.

any line updates on Saturday at Walden are appreciated.