PDA

View Full Version : iPad 2 Cover major flaws! bank cards and aluminium scuffs!

aibo82
Mar 2, 2011, 10:12 PM
Hi

The new iPad 2 cover looks great and i'm sure it been talked about grit scratching as this wobbles around on top of the glass!

BUT THERES 2 MORE!

1/ Aluminium hinge all well and great but looking at engaget there are no pads for this to sit on so its aluminium on aluminium and anyone whos worked with metal knows this will cause black oxidised scruffs and marks!

2/ Magnets I'm sure are pretty strong to hold this thing down so what about in a bag with CREDIT CARDS! well BLANK CARDS when its wiped your magnetic strips on them!

Cheers apple!

gforce216
Mar 2, 2011, 10:15 PM
First iPad has a magnet inside of it too because of the accelerometer. There won't be problems.

urkel
Mar 2, 2011, 10:18 PM
I like the concept but dont like the exposed back. I feel a case is essential for something like this, not only to cover the screen but also to protect the back. Aluminum dents easy so I wish it was an all around case.

JRoDDz
Mar 2, 2011, 10:19 PM
1) It doesn't wobble.

2) Apple is smarter than you. They've figured this out already.

3) The magnets aren't strong enough to erase your bank card.

ClutchThese
Mar 2, 2011, 10:21 PM
it wont have black marks. It wont blank out your CC.

you, sir, are a worry bug! :)

jbg232
Mar 2, 2011, 10:34 PM
it wont have black marks. It wont blank out your CC.

you, sir, are a worry bug! :)

Not that I disagree, but how would you know this?

3goldens
Mar 2, 2011, 10:35 PM
OMG, why dont you wait till youve seen the dam thing before starting a thread?

zenio
Mar 2, 2011, 10:38 PM
OMG, why dont you wait till youve seen the dam thing before starting a thread?

There's nothing wrong with his post. Nothing.

aibo82
Mar 2, 2011, 10:41 PM
2 words!

Iphone BUMPERS!

They scratch the hell out the band around the iphone 4 and the bumper is plastic! we are talking about metal on metal with NO support just magnets there isnt even a indent etched into the ipad for it to sit in! and looking at the pics NO FELT PADS!

it will end in tears mark my words!

Mar 2, 2011, 10:42 PM
There's nothing wrong with his post. Nothing.

Yes there is. It's not bubbling over in positivity for an Apple product.

ClutchThese
Mar 2, 2011, 10:43 PM

through Apple's quality assurance. Do you really think they would allow a product to do such?

Additionally, i carry all my CC in a wallet clasp. I've never had any problems with them being erased. WHY in the world would the magnet clasp on the "smart flap" erase any better than another magnet? It wont.

marksman
Mar 2, 2011, 10:44 PM
OP,

You should buy a xoom, just to be safe.

aibo82
Mar 2, 2011, 10:46 PM
Yes there is. It's not bubbling over in positivity for an Apple product.

Well unfortunately some things are missed and I can see this happening! not trying to be negative but rub your aluminium macbook with a coin u'll see then, it will leave black scuffs!

Filibuster
Mar 2, 2011, 10:53 PM
I may be paranoid, but I'm not convinced the smartcover is a straightforward, innocent idea that just occurred to Apple designers. It's entirely possible we will later discover that it is an attempt to remedy a serious design flaw, while at the same time not being forthright about the design flaw, analagous to the iphone bumpers, which Steve J. displayed with a fake air of casualness and innocence when iphone 4 launched.

urkel
Mar 2, 2011, 10:54 PM
through Apple's quality assurance. Do you really think they would allow a product to do such?
-The original Magsafe design had issues where the cable would heat up near the connector and cause bubbling until it cracked and exposed wires

- A sizeable amount of Time Capsules died almost exactly at the 18mo mark

- The skinny iPad originally had a plastic facing that was so sensetive it could get scuffed by its own case

- iDevice sync cables are notorious for causing bubbling or exposed wires

- The original White macbooks would turn yellow after only a few months use

- iPhone 4 Antenna placement caused signal degradation simply by touch

iMac monitors. Bulging batteries. Cracked screens. Do we really have to keep going on because we can make a sizeable list here.

I'm not slamming Apple and I believe Apple quality assurance does a fine job, but things slip through the cracks enough that NOBODY could guarantee that this case will NOT cause the issues mentioned in the original post. So if there's a concern then it should be noted and evaluated.

ClutchThese
Mar 2, 2011, 11:02 PM
-The original Magsafe design had issues where the cable would heat up near the connector and cause bubbling until it cracked and exposed wires

- A sizeable amount of Time Capsules died almost exactly at the 18mo mark

- The skinny iPad originally had a plastic facing that was so sensetive it could get scuffed by its own case

- iDevice sync cables are notorious for causing bubbling or exposed wires

- The original White macbooks would turn yellow after only a few months use

- iPhone 4 Antenna placement caused signal degradation simply by touch

iMac monitors. Bulging batteries. Cracked screens. Do we really have to keep going on because we can make a sizeable list here.

I'm not slamming Apple and I believe Apple quality assurance does a fine job, but things slip through the cracks enough that NOBODY could guarantee that this case will NOT cause the issues mentioned in the original post. So if there's a concern then it should be noted and evaluated.

everything you mentioned is fine. However, it's all due to people specific use. If you abuse your devices, yes they will fail or degrade. If you take care of it, they last. I've had the same iphone cable for two years, no problems. i don't have any issues with my iPad screen, because i've protected it with an antiglare screen. If you want things to last, do what is necessary to accomodate your lifestyle. it's an electronic device, it will fail at some point in the future. NOTHING is designed to last FOREVER.

you raised good points, i just don't think it is warranted just yet. no one has even had hands on the device.

aibo82
Mar 2, 2011, 11:03 PM
http://i46.tinypic.com/ma893p.jpg

Oxidised Alumnium cause by friction! now apply this to the ipad and that metal hinge and rub them together! returns anybody?

admanimal
Mar 2, 2011, 11:03 PM
I may be paranoid, but I'm not convinced the smartcover is a straightforward, innocent idea that just occurred to Apple designers. It's entirely possible we will later discover that it is an attempt to remedy a serious design flaw, while at the same time not being forthright about the design flaw, analagous to the iphone bumpers, which Steve J. displayed with a fake air of casualness and innocence when iphone 4 launched.

So now every time Apple introduces an accessory with a product, it will be to cover up a serious design flaw?

aibo82
Mar 2, 2011, 11:05 PM
So now every time Apple introduces an accessory with a product, it will be to cover up a serious design flaw?

Isnt that what a "cover" is for? ;)

Ksane
Mar 2, 2011, 11:32 PM

rofl! Because if there's one thing Steve Jobs is NOT, it's an idiot. The man doesn't have it in him to overlook something obvious like that.

Michael CM1
Mar 2, 2011, 11:33 PM
If you buy a product and expect no degrading over time, especially a frickin' mobile device, you're expecting the impossible. I put a film cover on my iPhone 3GS and scratched the display while trying to take out an air bubble. I didn't put a cover on my iPhone 4 and got a tiny scratch on the front about a month after I got it. Neither really affected anything and were just things that you can notice if you know they're there.

I bought a brand new car and was careful as hell with it. About five years later, I've been in two accidents that weren't my fault (despite what the lying bastard who backed into me said) that required repairs from a body shop, been hit from behind another time at a light, had a Starbucks display board hit my car door and scratch it, and got hit by a cart outside a Bed, Bath & Beyond.

You can't prevent this crap.

As for the magnet thing, have you ever walked by your refrigerator with your credit cards on you? Do you put magnets on there? Ever walked by home theater or car speakers with your credit cards? Seriously, Apple is not run by morons. You don't make billions of dollars by making mistakes that would cost you millions in costs on a recall. Your credit cards will be fine.

jake4ever
Mar 2, 2011, 11:35 PM
OP,

You should buy a xoom, just to be safe.

lol jk! It runs Android! you'll never be safe.

iMJustAGuy
Mar 2, 2011, 11:39 PM
Oxidised Alumnium cause by friction! now apply this to the ipad and that metal hinge and rub them together! returns anybody?

Holy timg.

SchneiderMan
Mar 3, 2011, 10:31 PM

Says the Xoom rep.

2 Owls
Mar 4, 2011, 05:05 AM

what is this picture supposedly showing exactly?

miles01110
Mar 4, 2011, 05:10 AM

It takes very strong magnets to "erase" the information on magnetic strips. I would be surprised if the magnets on the new iPad covers even came close to being a fraction of the required strength.

everything you mentioned is fine. However, it's all due to people specific use. If you abuse your devices, yes they will fail or degrade.

How about the NVIDIA 8600 graphics card issue? They "quality tested" those and they still wound up rotten. Also, the device cable catching on fire isn't due to "user misuse"... it's due to poor construction and insulation of the conductors.

That is not oxidized aluminum, it is chipped paint.

what is this picture supposedly showing exactly?

The lower right of the image shows an area in which the silver paint has chipped off.

deeddawg
Mar 4, 2011, 06:26 AM
2/ Magnets I'm sure are pretty strong to hold this thing down so what about in a bag with CREDIT CARDS! well BLANK CARDS when its wiped your magnetic strips on them!

Oh my god the sky is falling the sky is falling!!!

Seriously? RIM has used this concept for years with magnets in their cellphone holsters. A gazillion other cellphone holsters have a magnetic flap closure. Same for ladies purses and such.

The world has not stopped.

Since I don't carry my ipad in my back pocket where my wallet with my credit & bank cards, not an issue.

If I did have a need to somehow carry these cards right up close to my ipad, then I'd simply not buy a Smart Cover.

eawmp1
Mar 4, 2011, 07:18 AM
2 words!

Iphone BUMPERS!

They scratch the hell out the band around the iphone 4 and the bumper is plastic! we are talking about metal on metal with NO support just magnets there isnt even a indent etched into the ipad for it to sit in! and looking at the pics NO FELT PADS!

it will end in tears mark my words!

1) The bumpers didn't scratch the phones, abrasive debris between the bumper and the phones scratched them (can happen with any case).

2) Forget the credit cards (this is a non-issue), you should really be worried about the brain tumors those huge magnetic fields will cause.

Zodiak
Mar 4, 2011, 08:19 AM
About the Magnets and Credit Cards.

Whoever is interested really should go see the Mythbusters Episode on magnets and credit cards. They ran credit cards through increasingly strong magnets/magnetic fields and they found the strength and size of a magnet you need to demagnetize a credit card is hard to come by and impractical to use in products.

Very interesting show actually. I highly recommend everyone to watch it :)

2 Owls
Mar 4, 2011, 10:33 AM
The chipped paint in the picture looks more like anodised aluminium, can't see how its relevant to the major flaws! thread at all. :confused:

bob5820
Mar 5, 2011, 03:49 PM
Hi

1/ Aluminium hinge all well and great but looking at engaget there are no pads for this to sit on so its aluminium on aluminium and anyone whos worked with metal knows this will cause black oxidised scruffs and marks!

Cheers apple!

Actually a bit of oxidation a positive

http://www.cabuk1.co.uk/FAQ%207%20Oxidation%20of%20aluminium.pdf

thatisme
Mar 5, 2011, 04:06 PM

Don't know about the scuffs, but it has been proven that normally sized rare earth magnets have no appreciable effect on magnetic strips on credit cards. There is no way these magnets will scramble your cc data by just being near these... They would need to be electromagnets to do what is questioned here.

aplqna
Mar 6, 2011, 11:06 PM
That is not oxidized aluminum, it is chipped paint.

The lower right of the image shows an area in which the silver paint has chipped off.

No, unibody Macbook Pros are not painted. There is no paint. You have said this in a number of threads and people have corrected you and it is getting on my nerves. The picture shows what the aluminum looks like scratched and/or oxidized. I have seen it on my own machine. I know it well. Thank you.

SchneiderMan
Mar 6, 2011, 11:18 PM
Stop trollin

http://img815.imageshack.us/img815/5541/stoptrollinbysheen.jpg