Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aspen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
I will be streaming stock charts (one window only) and have about 6-7 other tabs open for email and general internet work. My two year old Core 2 Duo MPB with 4GB RAM handles this task just fine. Any thoughts on whether the Ultimate Air with the 2.13 GHz processor and 4GB RAM can handle this very very well? It's my understanding that the SSD helps with internal/local processing but I'm not sure about the internet/streaming capacity. The internet connection will be good.

Thanks for the help.

NicoleRichie

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

I can confirm it should work great.

gglockner

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
Bellevue, WA
As others have noted, this is really no big deal in terms of processing requirements. If an iPad supported multiple windows, even it would be powerful enough to do this.

rkheyfets

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2010
NYC
Just to second what others said I am currently streaming stock quotes and have 5 tabs open plus excel and several other small programs and on my 2.13 Air the cpu usage is around 8%-25%, and still have over 2GB of free Ram.

meatweaver

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2011
At what point is having multiple tabs open going to begin to strain the processor? 20 tabs? 30?

Or is this only going to be a load on the memory?

zinka

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2009
I will be streaming stock charts (one window only) and have about 6-7 other tabs open for email and general internet work. My two year old Core 2 Duo MPB with 4GB RAM handles this task just fine. Any thoughts on whether the Ultimate Air with the 2.13 GHz processor and 4GB RAM can handle this very very well? It's my understanding that the SSD helps with internal/local processing but I'm not sure about the internet/streaming capacity. The internet connection will be good.

Thanks for the help.

You don't need to upgrade to 4GB or 2.13 to handle that. The base model should do just fine.

rkheyfets

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2010
NYC
You don't need to upgrade to 4GB or 2.13 to handle that. The base model should do just fine.

the extra 2GB wont hurt helps the future resell value, and helps to future proof it somewhat for the extra $100 its almost a no-brainer.
the upgrade to 2.13 on the other hand is much more expensive, although i still recommend it as well.

KohPhiPhi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2011
I would certainly upgrade to 4gb RAM if he's planning on having tons of streaming windows/tabs running at once.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.