PDA

View Full Version : AT&T Confirms Personal Hotspot Support Alongside March 11th iOS 4.3 Launch

MacRumors
Mar 3, 2011, 09:01 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/03/atandt-confirms-personal-hotspot-support-alongside-march-11th-ios-4-3-launch/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2011/03/03/095858-ios_4_3_hotspot_500.jpg

Several weeks ago, we reported (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/19/atandt-activating-wireless-mobile-hotspot-for-ios-4-3-users/) that AT&T iPhone customers with access to iOS 4.3 beta versions were finding that the personal hotspot functionality was working with their existing tethering plans, but the carrier had yet to offer any official word on whether it would support the functionality once the software launched to the general public.

Electronista now reports (http://www.electronista.com/articles/11/03/02/att.says.its.iphone.personal.hotspot.due.march.11/) that AT&T has indeed confirmed that it will support personal hotspot functionality on existing tethering plans with the public launch of iOS 4.3 on March 11th. Hotspot functionality will require that users have the $25/month DataPro plan with 2 GB of data plus the $20/month add-on tethering plan that the carrier recently augmented (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2011/02/15/atandt-increases-tethering-data-plan-limit-to-4-gb/) with an additional 2 GB of data capacity.AT&T on Wednesday night confirmed with Electronista that it would start supporting the Personal Hotspot feature in sync with the launch of iOS 4.3. Subscribers will have the same support as Verizon customers when the update pushes out to the GSM iPhone 4 on March 11. Pricing should stay the same as for basic tethering and will need its new DataPro hotspot/tethering plan, which combines 4GB of total data with connection sharing for $45.While the personal hotspot functionality is included in iOS 4.3, it does require carriers to specifically support the feature. Given that AT&T has been slow to adopt similar features such as tethering in the past, some customers had been concerned that the carrier would not offer hotspot services at launch.

Verizon is already able to offer hotspot functionality with its version of the iPhone, pricing its plans (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/01/26/verizon-iphone-listings-go-live-on-apples-site/) in a package of unlimited phone data for $29.99 per month with a separate 2 GB bucket of data for hotspot and tethering priced at an additional $20 per month. The carrier is, however, planning to drop its unlimited plan (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/01/verizon-to-drop-unlimited-iphone-data-plans-as-soon-as-this-summer/) in favor of tiered pricing this summer, although tethering/hotspot add-ons will presumably continue under a similar pricing structure.

Article Link: AT&T Confirms Personal Hotspot Support Alongside March 11th iOS 4.3 Launch (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/03/atandt-confirms-personal-hotspot-support-alongside-march-11th-ios-4-3-launch/)

ghostface147
Mar 3, 2011, 09:03 AM
4 gigs for 45 bucks plus tethering included? Hmmm. I don't have a need for tethering (handylight if I do), but if it was maybe 8 gigs.....that would be a better deal. Maybe?

ugahairydawgs
Mar 3, 2011, 09:04 AM
So they are going to add this for a monthly cost that is the same as the one time cost of purchasing MyWi?

This is going to be a tough decision as to which to use.

gmanist1000
Mar 3, 2011, 09:06 AM
I love MyWi :)

bigcat318
Mar 3, 2011, 09:06 AM
I still wish tethering was included for those with unlimited data plans. It is not worth having for the handful of times I would use it when traveling for work.

GFLPraxis
Mar 3, 2011, 09:10 AM
$20 a month to flip a 0 to a 1.

I look forward to seeing what the jailbreaks do.

darbus69
Mar 3, 2011, 09:11 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

gouging the public they are. wifi everywhere; at home you can surely pay less for unlimited. some needs to break through with an all encompassing value package that will enable me to drop my home internet service, geez.

ineedamac
Mar 3, 2011, 09:12 AM
I still wish tethering was included for those with unlimited data plans. It is not worth having for the handful of times I would use it when traveling for work.

I agree. With unlimited data I should be able to use the data in whatever unlimited way I want. I doubt I'll sign up for tethering. I'd only use it sparingly and since that is the case there is no reason for me to pay $45 per month. :eek:

CalMin
Mar 3, 2011, 09:12 AM

That's my issue. I could see myself using it every now and then, but most of the time I have wifi access.

I suppose I could turn the feature on an off as needed, but these pricing models really annoy me. I mean I never use the 450 minutes they make me buy each month, and not being able to access tethering with an unlimited plan is just frustration.

Cell phone companies never put the customer first. They are about maximizing revenue. This kills any loyalty and is only bad for them long term IMO.

dohspc
Mar 3, 2011, 09:13 AM
AT&T is really trying to get the grandfathered customers off that unlimited data plan. Really lame that we are penalized and not able to take advantage of these new technologies.

bigcat318
Mar 3, 2011, 09:14 AM
MyWi looks nice, but Im one of those people that would rather not jailbreak my phone. With my luck Id brick the damn thing no matter how easy it is.

codymac
For $45 I can get unlimited from Clear.
:rolleyes:

kurosov
As my 3gs contract isn't up until around the iphone 5 release it is somewhat disappointing to see this feature set as iphone 4 only.

But at the current price o2 charge for the tethering plan it is cheaper to get a myfi on Three with access to 5Gb data that doesn't drain my phone battery.

I'll only use it for light browsing and reading news etc in the morning at coffee shops and maybe the odd email in a location without wifi though so i may just go the jailbreak route.

Just a shame i can't use the o2 access to BT Openzone i got with my iphone contract on my iPad.

scott911
Mar 3, 2011, 09:15 AM
freak'n expensive!

mr_matalino
Never thought about jailbreaking my iphone until now. This has got to be almost pure profit for these providers. Unlimited data should be unlimited.

macnews
AT&T please compete on data. Make the hotspot part of the data service and pool data usage. No need to change prices. Do this and you will get more money from me and many others I'm sure.

Pigumon
You've convinced me to Jailbreak.

I pay $20 extra for 2GB, you won't let me use it as a I want.

Screw you.

geerlingguy
Mar 3, 2011, 09:16 AM

Ditto. Plus, 6-8 Mbps down.

JPark
$20 a month to flip a 0 to a 1.

I look forward to seeing what the jailbreaks do.

Yup, tethering plans are an even bigger scam than text messaging plans.

crees!
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

gouging the public they are. wifi everywhere; at home you can surely pay less for unlimited. some needs to break through with an all encompassing value package that will enable me to drop my home internet service, geez.

Gouging the public is right. If I have on AT&T the lowest data plan and I go over my data limit on my phone I will get charged an overage fee. I should be allowed to use the personal hotspot function without paying extra; and if an iPad or whatever pushes me over my limit then I should be charged for going over the limit. None of this, well if you want to tether or personal hotspot you need to purchase this as well as this and be billed monthly for it. That's hogwash from a consumer perspective.

marksman
It is amazing that majority of people still don't understand for things like this that pricing is based on what people will actually use and not what is available.

With hotspot usage, the average user will use significantly more bandwidth, thus AT&T's costs will go up significantly. Thus they charge more money for it. It is pretty simple, but this concept has befuddled most people here forever and I am not sure why.

grmatt
Mar 3, 2011, 09:18 AM
This is the lone reason my phone is jailbroken. Pricing for this is ridiculous. Also, I'm still on the unlimited plan and don't want to give it up for this "feature."

LagunaSol
Mar 3, 2011, 09:21 AM
Tethering fees should be criminal. Should the water company charge me extra for every faucet I have in my house? Should the power company charge me for every outlet?

If I'm sitting at the airport and I'd rather view the data I'm paying for on a 10" screen instead of a 4" screen, why should I have to pay extra for that?

Rubbish.

iScott428
Mar 3, 2011, 09:23 AM
2gb?!?!!?

That will get me absolutely no where. I would not even be able to stream a single HD movie on my iPad, with my iPhone as a hotspot. Lets try oh I dont know 20gb to start!

Michael CM1
Mar 3, 2011, 09:24 AM
It is amazing that majority of people still don't understand for things like this that pricing is based on what people will actually use and not what is available.

With hotspot usage, the average user will use significantly more bandwidth, thus AT&T's costs will go up significantly. Thus they charge more money for it. It is pretty simple, but this concept has befuddled most people here forever and I am not sure why.

No, it's more hearing about people in Europe who don't have to pay extra for this or text messages. I could also care less about the "average" user when I just want it for occasionally using an iPad and not paying the $130 extra for a 3G radio in one. I'm nowhere near using my 2GB per month, so why exactly should I pay more for this hotspot than someone who uses up 2GB just on an iPhone plan?

scirica
Mar 3, 2011, 09:24 AM
Even if I were considering going back to unjailbroken on iOS 4.3, this one feature would drive me to jailbreak. I'm sure the dev of TetherMe will unlock this for us and we will get to use our grandfathered unlimited data plans. After all, we've been customers for a long time or we wouldn't be grandfathered.

ugahairydawgs
Mar 3, 2011, 09:25 AM
MyWi looks nice, but Im one of those people that would rather not jailbreak my phone. With my luck Id brick the damn thing no matter how easy it is.

Its really not that hard. The devs that work the JB really go overboard with the detailed instructions they give for JBing the iPhone. The whole process takes just a couple of minutes and as long as you don't install too many tweaks to the SB you won't see any hit in performance.

I JB my phone for four programs and that is all. I use SBSettings, LockInfo, Quick Dismiss, and MyWi and that is it. I don't do any theme tweaks or new lock screens. I like the look of iOS, but I need the added functionality. This does the job and, outside of the Cydia app in one of my folders, there are really no signs that my iPhone is jailbroken.

Xian Zhu Xuande
Mar 3, 2011, 09:25 AM
Rage, rage, rage. As was said above, it is a fee to flip a 0 to a 1, but even if I'm one of the only voices saying this, there are added costs associated with this for a wireless carrier. Customers who use tethering are going to use far more data than customers who use only their phone—and that applies doubly so to many among the vocal audience here, I'll wager—and that means added costs and strain on AT&T's already taxed network. They are well within their rights to charge for this service.

Charge as much as they do? That's definitely debatable, and definitely trying to make a tidy profit from these plans. As much a ripoff as text messages? Rubbish. Text messaging is probably the most overpriced service offered by wireless carries by far.

gramirez2012
Mar 3, 2011, 09:27 AM
Ripoff.

foiden
Mar 3, 2011, 09:28 AM
It's precisely the reason I see no reason to do At&ts tethering. It's double dipping, plain and simple. They just mask the extra 2GB into it because they want to force you to pay extra. It's still trying to make you pay more for the bandwidth you already purchased. More of a shame because these companies can't even be competitive with MiFi devices with at least as many features with less hassle.

Whether I tether or not, I'm still going to use a decent amount of 2GB each month, I just would like a choice of which device I do it with. All iPhone 4 users have access to netflix, stanza, and YouTube. They're already going to use much of the bandwidth they already paid for. Unlike many other phones, it's too late to worry about how much they use when enough services already use it just the same.

Small White Car
Mar 3, 2011, 09:28 AM
Tethering fees should be criminal. Should the water company charge me extra for every faucet I have in my house? Should the power company charge me for every outlet?

If I'm sitting at the airport and I'd rather view the data I'm paying for on a 10" screen instead of a 4" screen, why should I have to pay extra for that?

Rubbish.

Are you prepared for the basic plan to go from $25 to $40?

They based that $25 price on the fact that most people use less than 1 GB of their 2 GB. Turn on tethering and EVERYONE will start using all 2 GB. So, of course, the price will go up.

Me? I prefer to have a cheaper plan available for those who don't need tethering. You'd force everyone to pay for it.

I say 'no thanks' to that idea. Everyone who wants "tethering to be free" is really just asking me to pay more. Screw that, I'm not interested in paying more so you can tether.

Michael CM1
Mar 3, 2011, 09:29 AM
2gb?!?!!?

That will get me absolutely no where. I would not even be able to stream a single HD movie on my iPad, with my iPhone as a hotspot. Lets try oh I dont know 20gb to start!

If you're talking about through Netflix, you might wanna recheck that. First, I doubt Netflix will stream HD to an iPad. Second, I streamed a video to my iPhone a couple of times this month, and the data usage was 100MB or 200MB for about an hour or so. Streaming videos aren't nearly as big as ones you download. If they were, nobody would be able to use the Internet during peak Netflix usage hours.

bbplayer5
Mar 3, 2011, 09:29 AM
when is the FCC going to step in and stop these companies from raping us?

DFierce
Mar 3, 2011, 09:30 AM

What? Based on what exactly?

I find the whole thing astounding. I have tethering on my HTC. It runs through the typical data on my phone. It's not using any different type of service, so I don't see why there should be an extra charge! :eek:

caccamolle
Mar 3, 2011, 09:31 AM

or cable TV !!!

Indeed these are huge scams, traps and an insult to our intelligence.

Problem is: people continue to buy buy buy buy.

I gor rid of cable now 2 years ago, one of the best decisions ever.

How much do we really really need to text ? especially considering we are paying for data anyway and could use email.

So yes, all scams, but if people don't start saying no....

slffl
Mar 3, 2011, 09:31 AM
Awesome! Now I have to decide whether to get the 3G iPad 2 or go this route.

grmatt
Mar 3, 2011, 09:32 AM

Rubbish.

Yep.

seamuskrat
Mar 3, 2011, 09:34 AM
I called AT&T and they cannot answer this.

Anyone have a valid source that clarifies if I have the exisiting unlimited data plan (as iPhone first gen user who upgraded) and add a tether plan I can keep the grandfathered unlimited data?

At present I am clocking in a bit over 2 gigs, so a cap would be costly. Yet I would love the opportunity to tether/hotspot.

More importantly, can the iPhone 4 hotspot feature be used without a plan to make a small local wifi adhoc network? i.e. a simple group for a wifi game matchup at lunch. Will it make a local ad hoc network and not need 3G at all?

Cynicalone
Mar 3, 2011, 09:34 AM
When AT&T started offering tethering, I was able to drop my laptop connect card and add tethering.

Last month after the Verizon iPhone launched they doubled my data limit to 4GB. Now they are adding Mobile Hot Spot at no additional charge. I don't see how this is a bad thing. More features for the same price.

My AT&T bill went down 60 dollars a month when I was able to drop my laptop card. To me AT&T has done a lot to stay competitive with Verizon.

LagunaSol
Mar 3, 2011, 09:35 AM
They based that $25 price on the fact that most people use less than 1 GB of their 2 GB. Turn on tethering and EVERYONE will start using all 2 GB. So, of course, the price will go up.

Based on what evidence exactly? I only use one device at a time. I use my iPad in lieu of my iPhone when I can, not in addition to.

The amount of data streaming to my 4" device is exactly the same as the amount of data streaming to my 10" device. It's just being displayed on a larger screen.

And to argue that AT&T would have to charge extra just because everyone would use "all 2 GB" they are already paying for is absurd.

"Here's 2 GB of data for $25/month. Oh wait, you're actually going to use all 2 GB? Then that will be $45/month."

canyonblue737

But you can't get the iPhone can you? :D

Cynicalone

Anyone have a valid source that clarifies if I have the exisiting unlimited data plan (as iPhone first gen user who upgraded) and add a tether plan I can keep the grandfathered unlimited data?

At present I am clocking in a bit over 2 gigs, so a cap would be costly. Yet I would love the opportunity to tether/hotspot.

More importantly, can the iPhone 4 hotspot feature be used without a plan to make a small local wifi adhoc network? i.e. a simple group for a wifi game matchup at lunch. Will it make a local ad hoc network and not need 3G at all?

No you have to drop the Unlimited plan and go to the Data Pro Plan. When you add tethering your cap goes up to 4GB.

CylonGlitch
Mar 3, 2011, 09:36 AM

Except if you are playing for 2GB of data, but only using 200mb per month, they don't credit you for the data you didn't use. Thus it should be your choice if you want to use up that 2GB or not and if you want to do so using tethering, then you should be allowed to; you paid for it. If you use MORE then your plan will allow, then you should have to pay the overages (and yes, they should be steep to encourage you to either not do that or move to a higher plan).

If you were to look at your data usage the last day of your billing cycle, figure out how much of the 2GB you didn't use, and then go download a video of that length, they wouldn't complain. But you had better not allow your computer to download that same video via your phone because, in some way, that's costs another $45 per month.

Just think of how much more money they would make if they would just enable tethering for ALL data plans (unlimited is gone besides grandfathered people -- and yes, maybe they shouldn't be allowed to tether because at the time of signing the unlimited contract they didn't offer tethering) and then collecting all those overage charges from people who aren't paying attention. Charge something like $5/mb overage; just think of how much that would bring in. Offer the sample plans and maybe a few more, 4gb/month, 8gb/month for additional fees.

whatever
Mar 3, 2011, 09:36 AM
People if you really want to be heard.

I recommend you start protesting on Twitter.

AT&T is on twitter as @att.

Making AT&T Gorge Customers a trending topic, will get more attention then moaning about it here.

This did wonders for me with Comcast.

Use #AT&TGorgesiPhone in your tweet.

Let's see what happens.

Mark Booth
Mar 3, 2011, 09:37 AM

If you add tethering to your AT&T plan, you MUST give up unlimited data.

This has been confirmed in the press, in these forums, and in conversations I've personally had with AT&T reps.

Mark

aristobrat
Mar 3, 2011, 09:38 AM
When they feel that it's become a legitimate issue.

GLS
Mar 3, 2011, 09:39 AM

I'm in the same boat as well......I don't mind paying the extra $20 per month, but not at the expense of losing my grandfathered unlimited plan....

EDIT:

If you add tethering to your AT&T plan, you MUST give up unlimited data.

This has been confirmed in the press, in these forums, and in conversations I've personally had with AT&T reps.

Mark

caccamolle

It never stops amazing me how people make assertions without obviousy having a clue of what their talking about.

Hold on, may be you work for AT&T ?

While I see no reason why there should be a substantial increase in bandwidth usage, even if there were it's clearly a scam.

The whole industry is a scam in the US anyway. even in Africa they have better service for less. Ok, you can go to Europe, and the service is infinitely superior and less expensive.

And how much data do we really use anyhow at the pathetic speeds of these 3G networks (well I am speaking for the NYC area, truly a scam how bad it is here) ?

We are paying very significant amounts for network's theoretical performance which in practice we never even get close to, if it works at all. Yet, we pay pay pay, but the service does not at all work work work !!!!

Please be serious, inform yourself.

Mark Booth
Here's a plan I could get behind 100%:

$50 a month for 10GB of data and let me use it any damn way I want.

I would be willing to give up unlimited data for that plan.

Mark

canyonblue737
Mar 3, 2011, 09:40 AM
I understand the arguments of not enough data, too high a price etc. but I do want to make a few counterpoints...

1. AT&T's prices are in line with major competitors such as Verizon with either their iPhone or highend smartphones.

2. AT&T now offers an extra 2GB with the data plan which can be used by any device including the phone itself. I could for example do 1GB on the phone, 3GB via tethering or 3GB on the phone, 1GB on tethering.

3. This is a $15.83 savings per month compared to buying a 3G iPad for $130 extra up front plus $25 vs. $20 per month in 3G fees, plus again has the added flexibility of a 4GB pool of data vs. 2GB/2GB split.

Jailbreaking of course solves all of this but if you don't want to jailbreak...

RobT

I agree. AT&T is just too greedy. This is one occasion where I won't play by the rules. There's no way there should be an additional charge for this on top of the monthly data charge. Good thing MyWi is available.

Mistrblank
I agree. With unlimited data I should be able to use the data in whatever unlimited way I want. I doubt I'll sign up for tethering. I'd only use it sparingly and since that is the case there is no reason for me to pay $45 per month. :eek:

You didn't read the contract fine print that actually defined unlimited data as email and web browsing only and in most cases doesn't even allow for video streaming such as through Netflix and even Youtube.

Unlimited has always had restrictions and caps. It was a play on the word unlimited. You signed the contract, you agreed to their definition of "Unlimited".

aristobrat
People if you really want to be heard.

I recommend you start protesting on Twitter.

AT&T is on twitter as @att.

Making AT&T Gorge Customers a trending topic, will get more attention then moaning about it here.

Let's see what happens.
I think you mean gouges?

And you can probably drop the iPhone part, as AT&T charges the same fee for all of its smartphones (Android, etc). So they're not gouging the iPhone specifically.

And you can probably drop the AT&T part, as every other major carrier charges a similar additional fee for WiFi/tethering as well.

#Gouge work OK for you?

What Comcast was trying to do was unique to their network. What's happening to the iPhone isn't.

Small White Car
Mar 3, 2011, 09:44 AM
The amount of data streaming to my 4" device is exactly the same as the amount of data streaming to my 10" device. It's just being displayed on a larger screen.

I do not believe this in the least.

To be clear, I believe YOU. I just believe you are atypical and the opposite of the public at large.

If you're basing your opinion off your usage, I could see how you'd be annoyed. I'm basing my opinion off the fact that the rest of the world is not like you. I believe that free tethering would legitimately cost at&t more money and they would be forced to pass that cost on to me.

kuebby
Mar 3, 2011, 09:46 AM
I know we were expecting this but.... BS!!!

I've never JB'd my iPhone before but it looks like now I'm going to (and gonna abuse my data plan, like 4+ GB a month) just to spite AT&T.

I pay for unlimited, I should be able to use it unlimitedly.

3goldens
Mar 3, 2011, 09:47 AM
i love mywi :)

yea baby!!!!

ardy8888
Mar 3, 2011, 09:49 AM

Me? I prefer to have a cheaper plan available for those who don't need tethering. You'd force everyone to pay for it.

I say 'no thanks' to that idea. Everyone who wants "tethering to be free" is really just asking me to pay more. Screw that, I'm not interested in paying more so you can tether.

You should just pay for the amount of data that you use. Just like with your gas and electric in your home. If your bill is too high one month, you turn the heat down a couple degrees or make sure that lights are off in rooms not in use. I think any service should be priced this way. That way every user can control their own costs completely.

fehhkk
Mar 3, 2011, 09:49 AM
This hotspot feature was NEVER going to be for free. AT&T ain't dumb. :rolleyes:

Detlev
Mar 3, 2011, 09:52 AM
Help me understand this. A tethering plan on an iPhone 4.0 is required for the hotspot feature to work. Correct? That would allow me to tether a new iPad? Correct? Presently I cannot tether an iPad or iPod Touch. Correct? I can tether a computer. This I know.

If I want to purchase a new iPad I have the choice of Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi/3G versions with two carriers. If I have tethering and Hotspot functionality, is there a reason the Wi-Fi/3G version would be a better choice than the regular Wi-Fi version?

Thanks for clearing this up for me.

Little Endian
Mar 3, 2011, 09:53 AM
i will stand firm till the end. I will continue to use MyWi as long as it is feasible. If that means hanging on to my my iphone 4, for another two years or more so be it. I will use my iphone 4 running whatever version of 4.X.X that will support jail-breaking, tethering, and unrestricted 3G access.

If need be I will turn a blind eye to iphone 5 and future updates. I will let AT&t and Verizon break before I do.:mad: To put it simply I will not give At&t or Verizon a single cent more than I am currently paying!! Even with discounts,and Jail-breaking I find the $70 a month bill to be repulsive to get the features I want.

I would pay $100 a month but not for the handicapped ass plans that ATT an Verizon offer. For a single phone and single line of service I would pay more but only if tethering is included, twice as many minutes, and unlimited data. Okay maybe I could settle for a 10Gb Cap, but even that would take a lot of convincing before I deal with more of ATT's dropped call bull8*&t or VZ's second rate data services.

Small White Car
Mar 3, 2011, 09:53 AM
You should just pay for the amount of data that you use. Just like with your gas and electric in your home. If your bill is too high one month, you turn the heat down a couple degrees or make sure that lights are off in rooms not in use. I think any service should be priced this way. That way every user can control their own costs completely.

That's exactly my point, but we're getting a nice deal right now.

Right now at&t charges the 2 GB people as if they were 1 GB people. They can do this because the vast majority of them are actually using less than 1 GB. So that works out fine for them.

So we're getting 2 GB for the price of 1. Great.

If we were to go to an actual "pay per GB for reals" plan, I'm certain the $25 plan would suddenly be 1 GB and 2 GB would cost more than that. As higher-data users, most of us here enjoy the fact that we use the upper limits of our plans...upper limits that are mostly just silly marketing-speak for the regular public that will never use them. We're getting a deal because they think '2 GB' sound better in their ads, so they say it knowing that most folks will never use it. Lucky us.

Making tethering free is not the problem in and of itself. It's that it would force at&t into charing us for exactly what we use. I don't believe we're paying that right now.

whatever
Mar 3, 2011, 09:56 AM
I think you mean gouges?

And you can probably drop the iPhone part, as AT&T charges the same fee for all of its smartphones (Android, etc). So they're not gouging the iPhone specifically.

And you can probably drop the AT&T part, as every other major carrier charges a similar additional fee for WiFi/tethering as well.

#Gouge work OK for you?

What Comcast was trying to do was unique to their network. What's happening to the iPhone isn't.
You're right. I should have said gouge.

If you want to be ignored go with just #Gouge.

But if you want people to take notice, you should use popular Buzz words like iPhone and if you want the company that you're complaining about AT&T to take notice then you want to add them too.

I don't care about Android users or other networks. I care only about AT&T and the iPhone.

My issue is that AT&T is making me pick between my unlimited data plan or the ability to have a WiFi Hotspots. I have no issues paying $20 a month for this feature.

Which is why I use #ATTGougesiPhone.

pmz
AT&T is on crack. These plans are a joke. For crying out loud, at least make it simpler and have just a 6 gig plan for $45, that can be used for any data needs.

Even so, i'm NEVER giving up my unlimited data plan, so MyWi it is and MyWi it will be for a long, long time.

Willie5566
I agree. AT&T is just too greedy. This is one occasion where I won't play by the rules. There's no way there should be an additional charge for this on top of the monthly data charge. Good thing MyWi is available.

Are you referring to MiFi on Verizon?

Is there a cost for teathering? Does anyone know how the speed will be? I was debating getting a Mifi through Verizon but teathering looks like it might be a good alternative.

pmz
Mar 3, 2011, 09:59 AM
That's exactly my point, but we're getting a nice deal right now.

Right now at&t charges the 2 GB people as if they were 1 GB people. They can do this because the vast majority of them are actually using less than 1 GB. So that works out fine for them.

So we're getting 2 GB for the price of 1. Great.

If we were to go to an actual "pay per GB for reals" plan, I'm certain the $25 plan would suddenly be 1 GB and 2 GB would cost more than that. As higher-data users, most of us here enjoy the fact that we use the upper limits of our plans...upper limits that are mostly just silly marketing-speak for the regular public that will never use them. We're getting a deal because they think '2 GB' sound better in their ads, so they say it knowing that most folks will never use it. Lucky us.

Making tethering free is not the problem in and of itself. It's that it would force at&t into charing us for exactly what we use. I don't believe we're paying that right now.

According to my usage data, i use over 5 gigs per month, and i barely tether at all. What plan do they offer for me?

Small White Car
Help me understand this. A tethering plan on an iPhone 4.0 is required for the hotspot feature to work. Correct? That would allow me to tether a new iPad? Correct? Presently I cannot tether an iPad or iPod Touch. Correct? I can tether a computer. This I know.

If I want to purchase a new iPad I have the choice of Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi/3G versions with two carriers. If I have tethering and Hotspot functionality, is there a reason the Wi-Fi/3G version would be a better choice than the regular Wi-Fi version?

You've got it. You can now tether to an iPad which you couldn't do before.

The advantage to this is that you'd be paying an extra $20 over your regular iPhone bill whereas a dedicated iPad plan costs $25. So you're coming out ahead.

The advantage to a 3G iPad, though, is that you can turn it on and off each month. So if you want to skip a month, you can do that. Your phone bill is locked in.

So if you're gonna use your iPad on 3G every month, just tether with your iPhone. But if you think you'd turn it off and on some months (and sometimes buy the 250 MB plan for other months) then get the 3G iPad.

Willie5566
Even so, i'm NEVER giving up my unlimited data plan, so MyWi it is and MyWi it will be for a long, long time.

Isn't MiFi (assuming you are refering to Verizon's mifi) very expensive?

southernpaws

You have the right idea.

This functionality makes it so I do not have to buy the 3g iteration of the iPad. My wifi version will do just fine now.

There's no reason I can think of that the 3G version would be a better choice unless money is no issue.

tempusfugit
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

Unlimited data + MyWi ftw.

canyonblue737

Only reasons to buy the 3G iPad...

1. Doesn't require the tether, so you don't need the iPhone in the same physical location and you don't deplete the charge on the iPhone as tethering take a lot of power.

2. You don't need to start up the tethering service on the iPhone first which requires going into the Settings app which saves a step.

3. If you have the unlimited grandfathered plan from AT&T you don't need to get rid of it if you get a 3G iPad, the new tethering plan would require you to drop the 2GB iPhone data plan if you don't have it.

pmz
Mar 3, 2011, 10:01 AM
I know we were expecting this but.... BS!!!

I've never JB'd my iPhone before but it looks like now I'm going to (and gonna abuse my data plan, like 4+ GB a month) just to spite AT&T.

I pay for unlimited, I should be able to use it unlimitedly.

Absolutely! Go for it. Nothing wrong with that, as they sold it, you bought it, now you're gonna use it.

if they didnt want people to use the damn thing, they should have passed on the iphone, or never offered an unlimited plan at all. Their fault.

Willie5566
Mar 3, 2011, 10:02 AM
The advantage to a 3G iPad, though, is that you can turn it on and off each month. So if you want to skip a month, you can do that. Your phone bill is locked in.

Can't you just remove teathering if you want to save some $$$? I would think it would be like adding/removing texting or international calling. It's not like he would be canceling his phone service.

Small White Car
According to my usage data, i use over 5 gigs per month, and i barely tether at all. What plan do they offer for me?

If you're grandfathered into the $30 unlimited plan then that's what you should stick with. Then either don't tether or use a jailbreak solution to tether. That's general advice, mind you, not what at&t wants you to do. They'd suggest "don't tether" at all.

If you're new to at&t then they don't really want your business all that much, which is why they'd charge you about $55 per month for that, I think. They'd tell you to use more wifi if that's too much.

southernpaws
You've got it. You can now tether to an iPad which you couldn't do before.

The advantage to this is that you'd be paying an extra $20 over your regular iPhone bill whereas a dedicated iPad plan costs $25. So you're coming out ahead.

So if you're gonna use your iPad on 3G every month, just tether with your iPhone. But if you think you'd turn it off and on some months (and sometimes buy the 250 MB plan for other months) then get the 3G iPad.

If I'm not mistaken, you can change your plans per month as well. So in theory you could have it some months and then take it off other months.

It's more cumbersome, of course. But realistically, you'll be using it every month anyway. It's just reassuring to know that you aren't committed to it.

CylonGlitch

He didn't say MiFi, he said MiWi which is an app for Jailbroken devices that enables tethering and (hopefully) wifi hotspot.

marksman
Mar 3, 2011, 10:03 AM
It never stops amazing me how people make assertions without obviousy having a clue of what their talking about.

Hold on, may be you work for AT&T ?

No I don't... But I own and run businesses.. Maybe that is where your ignorance comes in, never having run or owned a business?

While I see no reason why there should be a substantial increase in bandwidth usage, even if there were it's clearly a scam.

It is pretty simple. People using their iphones without tethering and hotspots use an average of 800 megs a month (for discussion purposes). People who now also tether and use hot spot access are using 2.2 gigs of data a month. They are using almost 300% data. The actually number is probably a lot more.

AT&T set their price for data usage based on the fact that the AVERAGE user used 800 megs a month. They did not set their price based on everyone using a full 2 gigs every month. If that was the case the basic $25 a month plan would be $75 a month. They don't create a price based on potential usage, they based it on actual usage. This allows them to offer CHEAPER prices.

When people start doing things that drive the average cost up, then that has to be offset, because once again AT&T's price was set based on AVERAGE USAGE, not maximum potential usage.

Sure AT&T could charge everyone like they used all their bandwidth every month, and all bandwidth would be many times more expensive, and people who used only a small amount of bandwidth would be getting really screwed.

Why do you think that model would be good for anyone?

Please be serious, inform yourself.

LOL.

Except if you are playing for 2GB of data, but only using 200mb per month, they don't credit you for the data you didn't use. Thus it should be your choice if you want to use up that 2GB or not and if you want to do so using tethering, then you should be allowed to; you paid for it. If you use MORE then your plan will allow, then you should have to pay the overages (and yes, they should be steep to encourage you to either not do that or move to a higher plan).

*SIGH*... It does still amaze me people don't understand this.. but I guess it shouldn't...

They do offer a lower tier plan... If they did what you want they would have per meg charges or something and most people would end up paying more... No they don't credit you for data you don't use, they also don't charge you for it. That $25 a month for 2 gigs? That is actually the price for using an average amount of their bandwidth.. Some people will use more some will use less, but that actual price is for using the average amount. So everybody gets what they want and that is they price. If they charged you for the ability to get your full 2 gigs every month your price would be way higher than $25 a month. If every person on AT&T Wireless who had a 2 gig plan used 2 gigs a month the price for everyone would go up substantially.

If every person on AT&T Wireless who had a 2 gig plan used 2 gigs a month the price for everyone would go up substantially.
If every person on AT&T Wireless who had a 2 gig plan used 2 gigs a month the price for everyone would go up substantially.

Is that sinking in for anyone yet? It would be $75 $80, heck maybe $100 a month, if every person who had a 2 gig plan used 2 gigs a month. That is the REAL price for everyone to have 2 gigs of data access a month. Because most people use far less, though, they can offer a real bargain for the people who do use close to 2 gigs a month. The people who should be complaining the least are the ones who use more data in the 2 gig plans. They are saving the most money by a huge amount. Someone who is using 1.9 gigs a month is getting a heck of a deal on bandwidth, whether they want to believe it or not.

If you were to look at your data usage the last day of your billing cycle, figure out how much of the 2GB you didn't use, and then go download a video of that length, they wouldn't complain.

If everyone did that every month, in a few months or so AT&T would raise the rate for the 2 gig plan because their costs would have increased significantly. The pricing is based on what people actually use, not on what they could use. It has to do with the law of large numbers. Lots of things in the world are priced and allocated because of this.

You think the cable company has 20 megs of backbone access for every cable modem they have in service? Not even close.

Just think of how much more money they would make if they would just enable tethering for ALL data plans (unlimited is gone besides grandfathered people -- and yes, maybe they shouldn't be allowed to tether because at the time of signing the unlimited contract they didn't offer tethering) and then collecting all those overage charges from people who aren't paying attention. Charge something like $5/mb overage; just think of how much that would bring in. Offer the sample plans and maybe a few more, 4gb/month, 8gb/month for additional fees.

They already have overage charges, $10 per gig per month.

Why are you advocating they change the terms of their service without telling anyone?

People who add tethering and/or hot spots, on average use significantly more data than people who do not have those services. AVERAGE.

AVERAGE
AVERAGE
AVERAGE
AVERAGE
AVERAGE
AVERAGE
AVERAGE
AVERAGE

Again this is the key to how they set their pricing for these kinds of things. It is based on average utilization. If something causes average utilization to consistently rise, then either the price overall needs to go up, or else the people doing the things that cause that elevation need to pay for it directly.

People who use 10 megs a month and pay $25 are subsidizing those people who use 1.99 gigs and pay $25. If it were not for the 10 meg people, the 1.99 gig people would have to pay much much more for their data.

Small White Car
Mar 3, 2011, 10:03 AM
Can't you just remove teathering if you want to save some $$$? I would think it would be like adding/removing texting or international calling. It's not like he would be canceling his phone service.

That I don't know.

I'd assume that too many changes would do things like push back your available upgrade dates and whatnot...it might not be good for you.

But I'm just guessing. I'd like to hear if someone knows for sure. Being able to do that does negate the advantage of the 3G iPad altogether, making the wifi model the only sensible choice for iPhone owners if you're correct.

ardy8888
Mar 3, 2011, 10:05 AM
AT&T's prices are in line with major competitors such as Verizon with either their iPhone or highend smartphones.

I think that AT&T only charges these prices because they can. Same with Verizon and the others. If one company lowered their prices for data, the others would certainly follow, without a doubt. But why should they, we keep paying. We complain but we keep paying.

ferrous
Those telephone companies are just greedy fat bastards, I pay for unlimited plan, why should I pay additional $20/month to use tethering?

This would be the first time I am going to try the jailbreak and use the data I pay for.

Anyway to suck more money out of my wallet. I don't think so! :)

strang
It's crazy nowadays that Canadians gets free tethering so long as data plans subscribed are over 1GB.

How is it that we get a better deal than the American counterparts?

Full of Win
Mar 3, 2011, 10:08 AM
I understand the arguments of not enough data, too high a price etc. but I do want to make a few counterpoints...

1. AT&T's prices are in line with major competitors such as Verizon with either their iPhone or highend smartphones.

2. AT&T now offers an extra 2GB with the data plan which can be used by any device including the phone itself. I could for example do 1GB on the phone, 3GB via tethering or 3GB on the phone, 1GB on tethering.

3. This is a $15.83 savings per month compared to buying a 3G iPad for $130 extra up front plus $25 vs. $20 per month in 3G fees, plus again has the added flexibility of a 4GB pool of data vs. 2GB/2GB split.

These are all fair point...except that they are using it a cudgel for getting us unlimited users off of our contracts. If they offered 4 GB of tethering as an add-onto the unlimited plan, that would be OK. However, to FORCE us to leave UL on iPhone to get it shows AT&T's real motives.

Funny thing is, because June and the ATT changes I would watch my data usage. Now, I stream 20 GB + per month on my iPad unlimited plan and 5GB on my iPhone unlimited plan. I also make sure to use high BW apps during peak hours (10 AM - 4 PM). To me, ATT is attacking the consumer, and using as much data as possible is how I passively aggressively show my displeasure.

Willie5566
Mar 3, 2011, 10:08 AM
Only reasons to buy the 3G iPad.

3. If you have the unlimited grandfathered plan from AT&T you don't need to get rid of it if you get a 3G iPad, the new tethering plan would require you to drop the 2GB iPhone data plan if you don't have it.

Someone please tell me this is wrong? Will we lose unlimited data if we go with teathering????????? :mad:

pmz
Mar 3, 2011, 10:09 AM

I would have said mifi if thats what i was talking about, and clearly that's much more expensive.

MyWi, is a $20 iPhone app available from Cydia that is insanely simple to use, very secure (create your own WEP), and allows users with unlimited data to truly tether to their hearts content. One time $20 purchase.

It has a newer feature called OnDemand, which will turn tethering on and off automatically when a nearby device asks to use the network you've created.

Willie5566
Mar 3, 2011, 10:10 AM
It's crazy nowadays that Canadians gets free tethering so long as data plans subscribed are over 1GB.

How is it that we get a better deal than the American counterparts?

First free health care and now this!?!?!? :D

Willie5566
Mar 3, 2011, 10:11 AM
I would have said mifi if thats what i was talking about, and clearly that's much more expensive.

MyWi, is a $20 iPhone app available from Cydia that is insanely simple to use, very secure (create your own WEP), and allows users with unlimited data to truly tether to their hearts content. One time $20 purchase.

It has a newer feature called OnDemand, which will turn tethering on and off automatically when a nearby device asks to use the network you've created.

You have to jb to use it though correct???

Small White Car
Mar 3, 2011, 10:11 AM
To me, ATT is attacking the consumer, and using as much data as possible is how I passively aggressively show my displeasure.

Could you...I dunno...find a way to just hurt at&t instead of hurting other at&t users?

thanx

Someone please tell me this is wrong? Will we lose unlimited data if we go with teathering????????? :mad:

That's what 'grandfathered' means. It means you can keep using it but you can't get anything new. We all knew that when they started using the word 'grandfathered' last year.

pmz
Mar 3, 2011, 10:12 AM

The rest of that sentence is if you don't want to jailbreak, then you pay through the nose and receive almost no value for the dollars you spend.

A little knowledge, and the ability to teach yourself, goes a long long way to saving money....as it should. It's quite satisfying to know that my know-how actually saves me a lot of money that others are wantonly pissing away.

CylonGlitch
Mar 3, 2011, 10:12 AM

Yes, to enable tethering you HAVE to drop the unlimited plan.

Eye4Desyn
Mar 3, 2011, 10:13 AM

Agreed. For the life of me, I still can't understand why Ma Bell wants to rob the public with these ridiculous charges for data. I already have unlimited data - haven't stopped since first iPhone in summer of '07. It's complete b.s. that for the few times I would like to have my MBA or iPad hotspot from my iPhone that I would have to break ranks and go with a lesser a lesser data plan that would yet cost me more $$. Why??? (rhetorical question) :mad::confused:

pmz
Mar 3, 2011, 10:14 AM
You have to jb to use it though correct???

Absolutely correct. Cydia is the store from which all "jailbreak" apps and tweaks come from.

pmz
Mar 3, 2011, 10:16 AM
Could you...I dunno...find a way to just hurt at&t instead of hurting other at&t users?

thanx

:rolleyes: Someone has been drinking the Kool Aid if they're blaming USERS for AT&T's network saturation issues.

He and I and everyone else have every right to use ever damn bit of data we pay for, and AT&T is obligated to provide it.

Other users do not factor into one's business relationship with AT&T, nor should they.

pmz
Mar 3, 2011, 10:19 AM
Agreed. For the life of me, I still can't understand why Ma Bell wants to rob the public with these ridiculous charges for data. I already have unlimited data - haven't stopped since first iPhone in summer of '07. It's complete b.s. that for the few times I would like to have my MBA or iPad hotspot from my iPhone that I would have to break ranks and go with a lesser a lesser data plan that would yet cost me more $$. Why??? (rhetorical question) :mad::confused:

I know, it's absolutely absurd. They do nothing to improve their own situation (like creating a network than can actually provide the amount of data they sell), instead they sit on their fat laurels and conceive of ways to charge us more for less.

JediZenMaster
Mar 3, 2011, 10:20 AM
Come guys be honest you just simply hate AT&T. When Verizon announced tethering plans for 2GB for 20 dollars for the iPhone there was no whining and crying but as soon as AT&T offers tethering the floodgates open.

You guys now have a choice if you are not happy with the tethering plans then JB your phone or find another provider.

Ice2257
Mar 3, 2011, 10:24 AM
What about ATT customers with the Unlimited Data plan?

Full of Win
Mar 3, 2011, 10:25 AM

thanx.

I'm just using the plan as advertised, in a way consistent with the terms of service I agreed to. For the Iphone, that is a 5GB soft cap that I observe. For the iPad, I use it as much as I want to

To quote Mark Siegel from ATT on the iPad unlimited plan "unlimited is unlimited."

If ATT did not build out enough, they are the ones hurting the consumer....not me.

For example, on my iPad I now download gig sized OS X system updates using Atomic Browser. I also have a 10 mbps data package at home, but why use it when I can use the AT&T data network instead.

The funny thing is, I would go back to my conservative use of data if ATT were to return to unlimited data. Also, if anyone else is not happy with ATT attitude toward them, I suggest they do the same as I do; use their existing plan to the full capacity allowed in the Terms of Service.

valkraider
Mar 3, 2011, 10:28 AM
First let me say that I don't really have an opinion on whether the expected price for hotspot/tethering is "fair", although I think using metered use would be more fair, like the way we pay for water, electricity, and gasoline. I also say that "unlimited" should mean "unlimited" and the FCC should step in there.

But (there is always a but, right?)

I don't understand the outrage.

Mobile wireless infrastructure costs money to build, and maintain. AT&T, Verizon, TMobile, Sprint, Cricket, whoever - they are businesses. They exist to make money.

Why are people OK with other companies making money, but have fits when AT&T tries to? Does your employer try to make money? Does your employer provide goods or services for a price that they set so that they can make money? Why is Apple good and AT&T bad? Why is Verizon good and AT&T bad? (And no, I do not work at AT&T but I do have a good friend who works at Sprint and another at Comcast.)

Wireless carriers charge what the market will bear. If you don't like it, you are free either not purchase their goods and services OR you can purchase radio spectrum from the FCC, build towers, set up back-hauls, and provide your own wireless infrastructure.

And people have brought up that prices are cheaper in places like Europe, Japan, or Korea. I would like to point out that that the entire continent of Europe is about the size of the United States in square miles, yet has DOUBLE the population density (and that includes rural eastern Europe). Japan has FIVE TIMES the population density of the USA, and South Korea has SEVEN TIMES the population density of the USA. If you just look at Western Europe which is what most people are talking about, such as France, Germany, UK, etc. the population densities are much higher than the USA.

They can cover many more people with much less cost.

If you really want to be angry at something regarding cost - be angry at the American cell companies having to provide coverage in the western USA. They have to build and maintain LOTS of towers in the western USA to cover almost zero people other than those passing through on interstates. Every single city dweller is subsidizing those rural cellular customers in a HUGE way. (Same with roads, telephone service, and utilities). Just look at the coverage maps for Nevada for example.

If people actually cared about prices they would stop buying. If enough people stopped buying, the companies would have to either offer more or charge less.

As it is, I think having fast internet access almost ANYWHERE for me, my children, and all of our fancy devices - is pretty AMAZING. I mean come on, how entitled are we that we somehow feel that being able to stream high definition movies while sitting ANYWHERE is some sort of a right? Heck, I remember the days when we couldn't even watch TV anywhere but a house, and those Limo or RV TV sets with the wing antenna thing were amazing with their tiny screen and crappy picture that only worked in 20 square feet of town.

I want to know where each and every one of the complainers work, and I will go there and demand services for free, or for next to nothing.

CylonGlitch
Mar 3, 2011, 10:28 AM
What about ATT customers with the Unlimited Data plan?

What about us? We have a choice. Stick with what we have, as we have it, or downgrade to one of the current plans and then, if we want, add tethering. As it is, we are not entitled to tethering because it was not in our contract at the time.

ciTiger
Mar 3, 2011, 10:29 AM
One less reason to jailbreak.

Greg M
They'll continue to charge more for as long as you pay for it.

I went to T-Mobile and got a Mytouch 4g with unlimited everything including hotspot for $79.99 per month! I can now use my ipad and MBA any place I get a signal for no additional costs and no limits on data or throttled data after 5gb.

Only way to get Verizon and AT&T to be reasonable is if you walk away from them. If you can't do that then stop whining about their prices.

thelonelylimo

haha....

thelonelylimo
Mar 3, 2011, 10:33 AM
They'll continue to charge more for as long as you pay for it.

I went to T-Mobile and got a Mytouch 4g with unlimited everything including hotspot for $79.99 per month! I can now use my ipad and MBA any place I get a signal for no additional costs and no limits on data or throttled data after 5gb.

Only way to get Verizon and AT&T to be reasonable is if you walk away from them. If you can't do that then stop whining about their prices.

déjà vu.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFjVZizLVE4

rjohnstone
Mar 3, 2011, 10:34 AM
I think that AT&T only charges these prices because they can. Same with Verizon and the others. If one company lowered their prices for data, the others would certainly follow, without a doubt. But why should they, we keep paying. We complain but we keep paying.
Your argument has no standing.
There are other carriers in the US that offer MUCH CHEAPER data plans. (T-Mobile and Sprint)
So you DO have a choice. This is why the FCC will not get involved.

Don't like the data prices on AT&T or Verizon, switch to T-Mobile or Sprint.
Hell, T-Mobile has $10 per month unlimited data plan.

The real issue here that has MR people b!tching is the iPhone doesn't work with Sprint and barely works with T-Mobile, so you have no choice but to pick AT&T or Verizon.
It's a non-issue in the real world. Either buy another phone or deal with your available options.

But if anyone insists on complaining, complain to Apple for not making the phone available on Sprint or T-Mobile.
If that happens, maybe you will see some movement in prices from AT&T and Verizon.

JediZenMaster
Mar 3, 2011, 10:36 AM
Your argument has no standing.
There are other carriers in the US that offer MUCH CHEAPER data plans. (T-Mobile and Sprint)
So you DO have a choice. This is why the FCC will not get involved.

Don't like the data prices on AT&T or Verizon, switch to T-Mobile or Sprint.
Hell, T-Mobile has $10 per month unlimited data plan.

That's incorrect the 10 dollar plan is not unlimited it's only 200 MB's and you can only tether with T-Mobile for 14.99 a month and your speed is Throttled at 5GB. So if you add tethering on to your account you don't get a seperate data alotment at t-mobile.

Little Endian
Mar 3, 2011, 10:38 AM
No I don't... But I own and run businesses.. Maybe that is where your ignorance comes in, never having run or owned a business?

It is pretty simple. People using their iphones without tethering and hotspots use an average of 800 megs a month (for discussion purposes). People who now also tether and use hot spot access are using 2.2 gigs of data a month. They are using almost 300% data. The actually number is probably a lot more.

AT&T set their price for data usage based on the fact that the AVERAGE user used 800 megs a month. They did not set their price based on everyone using a full 2 gigs every month. If that was the case the basic $25 a month plan would be $75 a month. They don't create a price based on potential usage, they based it on actual usage. This allows them to offer CHEAPER prices.

When people start doing things that drive the average cost up, then that has to be offset, because once again AT&T's price was set based on AVERAGE USAGE, not maximum potential usage.

Sure AT&T could charge everyone like they used all their bandwidth every month, and all bandwidth would be many times more expensive, and people who used only a small amount of bandwidth would be getting really screwed.

Why do you think that model would be good for anyone?

LOL.

*SIGH*... It does still amaze me people don't understand this.. but I guess it shouldn't...

They do offer a lower tier plan... If they did what you want they would have per meg charges or something and most people would end up paying more... No they don't credit you for data you don't use, they also don't charge you for it. That $25 a month for 2 gigs? That is actually the price for using an average amount of their bandwidth.. Some people will use more some will use less, but that actual price is for using the average amount. So everybody gets what they want and that is they price. If they charged you for the ability to get your full 2 gigs every month your price would be way higher than $25 a month. If every person on AT&T Wireless who had a 2 gig plan used 2 gigs a month the price for everyone would go up substantially.

Is that sinking in for anyone yet? It would be $75 $80, heck maybe $100 a month, if every person who had a 2 gig plan used 2 gigs a month. That is the REAL price for everyone to have 2 gigs of data access a month. Because most people use far less, though, they can offer a real bargain for the people who do use close to 2 gigs a month. The people who should be complaining the least are the ones who use more data in the 2 gig plans. They are saving the most money by a huge amount. Someone who is using 1.9 gigs a month is getting a heck of a deal on bandwidth, whether they want to believe it or not.

If everyone did that every month, in a few months or so AT&T would raise the rate for the 2 gig plan because their costs would have increased significantly. The pricing is based on what people actually use, not on what they could use. It has to do with the law of large numbers. Lots of things in the world are priced and allocated because of this.

You think the cable company has 20 megs of backbone access for every cable modem they have in service? Not even close.

They already have overage charges, $10 per gig per month.

Why are you advocating they change the terms of their service without telling anyone?

People who add tethering and/or hot spots, on average use significantly more data than people who do not have those services. AVERAGE.

AVERAGE
AVERAGE
AVERAGE
AVERAGE
AVERAGE
AVERAGE
AVERAGE
AVERAGE

Again this is the key to how they set their pricing for these kinds of things. It is based on average utilization. If something causes average utilization to consistently rise, then either the price overall needs to go up, or else the people doing the things that cause that elevation need to pay for it directly.

People who use 10 megs a month and pay $25 are subsidizing those people who use 1.99 gigs and pay $25. If it were not for the 10 meg people, the 1.99 gig people would have to pay much much more for their data.

Wow, that was a very long post just to describe Compounding and sustainability, not to mention condescending, biased, and limited in perspective. Somebody must be one little hell bent economist:p
One of the main purposes of The study of Economics/Political science is to prevent the consumer from being conned by shady economic theory, greedy and manipulative business persons/politicians etc. "There are many ways to skin a cat" and I think you are defending the wrong side. I don't think anyone expects ATT to give unlimited data for free!! or for that matter unlimited tethering or capped tethering for just a few buck a month more.

The problem here is "price discrimination" that is a little too aggressive. I think most people are just seeking fair service for a fair price.

shiseiryu1
Mar 3, 2011, 10:40 AM
Paying for Tethering is such a rip off. It's like paying Ford a fee every time you have an extra passenger ride in your Mustang. You've already paid for the car and you've already paid for the gas...now they want you to pay if you have an extra passenger.

That's the best analogy I can think of for the "Tethering" Plans...WHAT A RIP OFF!

rjohnstone
Mar 3, 2011, 10:40 AM
That's incorrect the 10 dollar plan is not unlimited it's only 200 MB's and you can only tether with T-Mobile for 14.99 a month and your speed is Throttled at 5GB. So if you add tethering on to your account you don't get a seperate data alotment at t-mobile.
I stand corrected... they start at $10 per month.
Still cheaper than AT&T or Verizon's starting prices.

ten-oak-druid
Mar 3, 2011, 10:44 AM
Pay to tether? Outrageous!

You pay for data. Whether you use up that data on one device or another is irrelevant.

Monkey194545
Mar 3, 2011, 10:45 AM
Time to jailbreak. In the words of the epic Mr. Sheen:

JB and tethering = Winning
JB w/ unlimited data and tethering = bi-winning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Small White Car
Mar 3, 2011, 10:45 AM
:rolleyes: Someone has been drinking the Kool Aid if they're blaming USERS for AT&T's network saturation issues.

He and I and everyone else have every right to use ever damn bit of data we pay for, and AT&T is obligated to provide it.

Other users do not factor into one's business relationship with AT&T, nor should they.

He's not "using it." He's letting it run solely as a punishment.

It's the same as running his hose all day when he has no grass to water.

Public roads are "there to be used" too. My taxes pay for them, but if I were to intentionally wreck my car on the freeway with the sole purpose of causing a traffic jam...well I would deserve no sympathy for that. I'm frankly shocked that you would defend such behavior.

You may think that's too harsh, but that's exactly what he's doing:

For example, on my iPad I now download gig sized OS X system updates using Atomic Browser. I also have a 10 mbps data package at home, but why use it when I can use the AT&T data network instead.

In other words, rather than use wifi that he has right there, he's chosen to slow down other iPhone users in his neighborhood. He's decided to punish his neighbors out of spite because he dislikes at&t.

Inexcusable.

JediZenMaster
Mar 3, 2011, 10:47 AM
Paying for Tethering is such a rip off. It's like paying Ford a fee every time you have an extra passenger ride in your Mustang. You've already paid for the car and you've already paid for the gas...now they want you to pay if you have an extra passenger.

That's the best analogy I can think of for the "Tethering" Plans...WHAT A RIP OFF!

Not Really. Because the difference is that you own the Car but you don't own the network. With your analogy that would be like owning 2 cars and paying for gas for one and expecting the Gas station to give you free gas for the other car.

LagunaSol
Mar 3, 2011, 10:49 AM
I do not believe this in the least.

To be clear, I believe YOU. I just believe you are atypical and the opposite of the public at large.

To the contrary, I believe my situation is typical. What is atypical is the user who would tether two laptops to their iPhone and watch Netflix videos while downloading torrents via 3G for hours at a time.

Not Really. Because the difference is that you own the Car but you don't own the network. With your analogy that would be like owning 2 cars and paying for gas for one and expecting the Gas station to give you free gas for the other car.

While automobile <> computer analogies almost always fail, the correct analogy here would be you've bought a barrel of gas but the gas station wants to charge you an additional fee for every vehicle you're going to use that gas in.

Eye4Desyn
Mar 3, 2011, 10:53 AM
Awesome! Now I have to decide whether to get the 3G iPad 2 or go this route.

It's far cheaper to go the 3G iPad 2 route because you control when you "flip the switch". If you commit to the additional $45/month - "the switch" is always on for the next 24 months.

To put it in perspective quick math shows you would spend roughly an additional $730 ($600 for the data and $130 for 3G radio - excluding taxes) in the same 24 months on an iPad 3G with data activated monthly as compared to an additional $1,080 in the same period with hotspot/tethering. Difference being that the $350 premium for an "always on" connection allows you to hotspot for five devices at any given moment. Is that something you will do often? It seems highly unlikely, but you know your needs better than I do.

ten-oak-druid
Mar 3, 2011, 10:54 AM

Is that sinking in for anyone yet?

Yeah its sinking in that those of us who would like to pay a little less for lets say 500MB or 1GB are subsidizing those who use more data.

The carriers need more data plan options. It is not fair that someone who needs slightly more than 200MB needs to pay for an entire 2GB.

And I do not subscribe to the idea that the only solution is continuous range of bytes per month with the fee charged as $/byte used. The plans can remain quantized but we need more quantum numbers.

Full of Win
Mar 3, 2011, 10:55 AM
In other words, rather than use wifi that he has right there, he's chosen to slow down other iPhone users in his neighborhood. He's decided to punish his neighbors out of spite because he dislikes at&t.

Inexcusable.

If I use data with my cable connection, I reduce data capacity on that network. If I use my Ipad to download the update, likewise I reduce data capacity there. Either way, I will reduce data capacity in some degree.

The reason I do it, and suggest that others do it is simple - TO ENCOURAGE AT&T TO ADD CAPACITY AND TO NOT TREAT US LIKE GARBAGE Have you ever heard the term "the squeaky wheels gets the oil"? Well, I'm making the wheels squeak in a very small way, and encouraging others to do it as well. I'm not doing it to annoy, I'm doing it so oil will be added (e.g. capacity increased). hopefully, this will lead to them also offering a tethering package (e.g. 4 GB) to us unlimited users as an add-on feature without making us leave our current plans.

If 5% of ATT users in the US used 4 - 5 GB of data per month...ATT would have to listen to us.

Small White Car
Mar 3, 2011, 10:56 AM
While automobile <> computer analogies almost always fail, the correct analogy here would be you've bought a barrel of gas but the gas station wants to charge you an additional fee for every vehicle you're going to use that gas in.

Still incorrect.

The key here is that with gas you buy x amount of gas and you have x amount of gas.

With data you buy x amount of data and they expect you to use x-something amount of data. I know you feel that everyone just uses it all anyway, but I've seen far too much evidence that shows the over-1.5-GB people are in the top 5% of users.

The best analogy is an 'all-you-can-eat' buffet. They charge a certain price for one person but even though you paid for "all you can eat" you can't bring in a friend and share with him for free even if you claim to only eat half of what you can eat.

The expectation is that you will, in fact, eat less than 'all you can eat' and that's what they charge based off of. It's another case where you pay for more than they expect you to use.

That's not the case with gas. They expect you to use all the gas you buy.

samcraig
Mar 3, 2011, 10:57 AM

Rubbish.

Bad analogies to go on. For example - you don't pay for unlimited power. And the more power you use, the more you're charged.

And the reason you pay for more data on a cell plan is because of consumption potential. A laptop can consume far more data, far more quickly than a cell phone.

The fact that people still don't get why cell companies charge more for tethering (for an unlimited data plan) is mind boggling.

That being said - if you are already on a metered system - then it shouldn't matter how you use the data.

silentnite
Mar 3, 2011, 10:57 AM
Hang in there the more Verizon & AT&T battle it out the better the deal will get for all of us iphone & ipad users. I can see 1 of them caving in a giving an extra GB or two. :D

Small White Car
Mar 3, 2011, 11:00 AM
If I use data with my cable connection, I reduce data capacity on that network. If I use my Ipad to download the update, likewise I reduce data capacity there. Either way, I will reduce data capacity in some degree.

The reason I do it, and suggest that others do it is simple - TO ENCOURAGE AT&T TO ADD CAPACITY. Have you ever heard the term "the squeaky wheels gets the oil"? Well, I'm making the wheels squeak in a very small way, and encouraging others to do it as well. I'm not doing it to annoy, I'm doing it so oil will be added (e.g. capacity increased).

Do you really not understand that wired bandwidth can be increased with more wires but that wireless bandwidth is a finite spectrum?

We're all spoiled because such a small percentage of users use that bandwidth today. We think it's like air and we'll never run out.

But to use a car analogy, it's kind of like 1920 out there. A lot of folks have cars, but far more folks don't have cars. But the 1950's are coming and soon everyone will be a 2-car family. You're stuck in the mindset that this frontier world will stay wide open and empty forever. It won't. There's no going back.

This is simple math. Neither at&t or Verizon or anyone can change the laws of physics or cut the number of people in this country. The Wild West is coming to an end and you can't just wish that away, no matter how hard you try.

Eye4Desyn
Mar 3, 2011, 11:05 AM
Still incorrect.

The key here is that with gas you buy x amount of gas and you have x amount of gas.

With data you buy x amount of data and they expect you to use x-something amount of data. I know you feel that everyone just uses it all anyway, but I've seen far too much evidence that shows the over-1.5-GB people are in the top 5% of users.

The best analogy is an 'all-you-can-eat' buffet. They charge a certain price for one person but even though you paid for "all you can eat" you can't bring in a friend and share with him for free even if you claim to only eat half of what you can eat.

The expectation is that you will, in fact, eat less than 'all you can eat' and that's what they charge based off of. It's another case where you pay for more than they expect you to use.

Amen, brotha. Couldn't have said it better myself. ;)

bmwhd
Mar 3, 2011, 11:08 AM
Time to jailbreak. In the words of the epic Mr. Sheen:

JB and tethering = Winning
JB w/ unlimited data and tethering = bi-winning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Bingo!

Having been double-grandfathered into the priceless international unlimited data, I'm never changing my plan with AT&T.

JediZenMaster
Mar 3, 2011, 11:12 AM
Hang in there the more Verizon & AT&T battle it out the better the deal will get for all of us iphone & ipad users. I can see 1 of them caving in a giving an extra GB or two. :D

I'm you mentioned verizon because at least your not biased. :D People have made this tethering issue personal about their hate for AT&T. Not one person on this board has complained about the Verizon tethering options.

LagunaSol
Mar 3, 2011, 11:13 AM
Still incorrect.

No, it's correct. You buy 2 GB of data, you have 2 GB of data. It's silly to argue that you only pay $X for 2 GB of data because AT&T is counting on you to use only 500 MB of data.

And the typical user is not going to triple his/her data usage just because he/she is now viewing that data on a 10" screen instead of a 4" screen.

I imagine you feel Comcast should charge me an extra $20 for every computer on my wireless network? Because in that case those multiple computers are certainly increasing my bandwidth usage (as multiple users are using them), as opposed to the iPhone/iPad situation where I am using only one device at a time.

Bad analogies to go on. For example - you don't pay for unlimited power. And the more power you use, the more you're charged.

Correct. You also don't pay for unlimited data, at least not with the plans that allow tethering. You are paying for a fixed amount. How you distribute that allocation data should be up to you, with no additional costs.

MacVault
Mar 3, 2011, 11:15 AM
HIGHWAY ROBBERY!

$20 extra / month just so I can utilize on another device what I already pay $25 / month for?!! WHAT A FLIPPING RIP OFF! AT&T needs to DIE!

PURE EXTORTION! AND APPLE IS AN ACCOMPLICE!
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

pooprscooper
Mar 3, 2011, 11:17 AM
An extra $20 to tether/hotspot? F-you. It's none of your business how or when I use my device. You're providing a dummy pipe connection to the internet. It's almost an invasion of privacy trying to tell us how we can use our internet that we're already paying for. Next thing you're gonna tell me is I have to pay an extra fee to use it when in bed.

Having to JB to get full control of your own device that you're already paying for is quite sad.

LagunaSol
Mar 3, 2011, 11:18 AM
Next thing you're gonna tell me is I have to pay an extra fee to use it when in bed.

Don't give them any ideas. :(

JediZenMaster
Mar 3, 2011, 11:19 AM
An extra $20 to tether/hotspot? F-you. It's none of your business how or when I use my device. You're providing a dummy pipe connection to the internet. It's almost an invasion of privacy trying to tell us how we can use our internet that we're already paying for. Next thing you're gonna tell me is I have to pay an extra fee to use it when in bed.

How is it an invasion of privacy. Every single other carrier charges for tethering and yet when AT&T does they are the bad guy. I'm glad they are charging for it because if your are consuming more than you should pay more.

newtonrj
Mar 3, 2011, 11:20 AM
i think most people are just seeking fair service for a fair price.

. -rj

Hurda
Mar 3, 2011, 11:22 AM
Excellent service and customer relationship.
Looking forward to it.
Apple, AT&T and Verizon are leading the pack. Bring it on. :D:apple:

PLin
Mar 3, 2011, 11:23 AM
These are all fair point...except that they are using it a cudgel for getting us unlimited users off of our contracts. If they offered 4 GB of tethering as an add-onto the unlimited plan, that would be OK. However, to FORCE us to leave UL on iPhone to get it shows AT&T's real motives.

I don't think AT&T has a way to track how much data you use on the phone vs. tethering, which is why they can't just let unlimited users purchase a separate 2 or 4GB tethering add-on. They would have to let you tether for unlimited too, which would result in people using hundreds of GB per month. Everything goes through the same APN.

In fact, if you remove your SIM from your iPhone and insert it into the iPad or a USB modem, data still works.

Maybe CDMA works differently, so Verizon is able to give its users a dedicated 2GB for tethering and track it, but I don't think it's possible on a GSM network.

That said, I agree that if you are going to pay $25 for 2GB, you should be able to use the 2GB however you want. And if someone wants to pay $15 for 200MB and wants to tether for 5 minutes, why not. Just charge them another 200MB if they use too much. Unlimited is intended for use only on the iPhone though.

pooprscooper
Mar 3, 2011, 11:24 AM
How is it an invasion of privacy. Every single other carrier charges for tethering and yet when AT&T does they are the bad guy. I'm glad they are charging for it because if your are consuming more than you should pay more.

"Every single other carrier" is also invading people's privacy by telling them who, where, how and when they can use the internet. It's none of their concern how we use the dummy pipe ISPs are providing. It's akin to traffic filtering based on devices plugged into the network.

If I'm paying for 2GB I'll use 2GB as I please.

neal.young
Mar 3, 2011, 11:27 AM
This would definitely be a reason for me to jailbreak my iPhone. I'm lucky enough to still have the unlimited data plan, and the AT&T 3G service is sadly often faster than my college internet. This would be an awesome feature to have.

JediZenMaster
Mar 3, 2011, 11:28 AM
"Every single other carrier" is also invading people's privacy by telling them who, where, how and when they can use the internet. It's none of their concern how we use the dummy pipe ISPs are providing. It's akin to traffic filtering based on devices plugged into the network.

If I'm paying for 2GB I'll use 2GB as I please.

So it's not a companies concern to charge what they want for services they provide? That makes no sense. You seem to forget that even thought your a consumer that you have no right to tell a company what is acceptable for pricing. Because i'm sure if you had the capacity to then you would be sitting in a boardroom running AT&T.

Let's agree to disagree because obviously you don't want to pay for consumption you just want something for nothing. But either way complaning on mac rumors will do nothing about forcing AT&T to change their tethering pricing :D

Full of Win
Mar 3, 2011, 11:36 AM
Do you really not understand that wired bandwidth can be increased with more wires but that wireless bandwidth is a finite spectrum?

We're all spoiled because such a small percentage of users use that bandwidth today. We think it's like air and we'll never run out.

But to use a car analogy, it's kind of like 1920 out there. A lot of folks have cars, but far more folks don't have cars. But the 1950's are coming and soon everyone will be a 2-car family. You're stuck in the mindset that this frontier world will stay wide open and empty forever. It won't. There's no going back.

This is simple math. Neither at&t or Verizon or anyone can change the laws of physics or cut the number of people in this country. The Wild West is coming to an end and you can't just wish that away, no matter how hard you try.

Yet, in Europe and Asia, they seem able to counter these immutable laws of physics you speak of.

You also fail to mention the extra spectrum carriers purchased in the past few years that was made available up for this very reason. Moreover, you do not make note of the advances in technology that adds speed and capacity as well (e.g. LTE).

Its simple - they have both the extra spectrum and technology to increase capacity.

Lets continue the car analogy. Sure, its like 1920. There are very limited roads and there is a limited capacity for them, However, there is now the ability to increase these roads sizes from 2 lane all the way up to 20 lanes (e.g. added spectrum they now OWN). Also, the road building technology has been enhanced, its now easier to build roads, thereby adding to capacity (e.g. LTE).

They have the ability to make a network that will live up to the promises they have made for a significant number of users. What they are lacking is the willingness to commit the resources to do so.

Vmaatta
Mar 3, 2011, 11:37 AM

Tethering is simply not something the carrier needs to support. Sharing the connection is a capability in the phone.

The carriers should not be able to dictate to users if they can tether or not and certainly not charge extra for “supporting” the feature.

DipDog3
Mar 3, 2011, 11:38 AM
Waiting on the 4.3 Jailbreak...

pooprscooper
Mar 3, 2011, 11:38 AM
So it's not a companies concern to charge what they want for services they provide? That makes no sense. You seem to forget that even thought your a consumer that you have no right to tell a company what is acceptable for pricing. Because i'm sure if you had the capacity to then you would be sitting in a boardroom running AT&T.

Let's agree to disagree because obviously you don't want to pay for consumption you just want something for nothing. But either way complaning on mac rumors will do nothing about forcing AT&T to change their tethering pricing :D

Are you retarded? I want 2GB as 2GB. Not 2GB with an extra fee of $20 just because I want to use that 2GB in a different way. Obviously if I'm paying for 2GB I'm not looking to get "something for nothing". I couldn't care less what ISP it is trying to scam customers. None of them should be doing it.

JediZenMaster
Mar 3, 2011, 11:43 AM
Are you retarded? I want 2GB as 2GB. Not 2GB with an extra fee of $20 just because I want to use that 2GB in a different way. Obviously if I'm paying for 2GB I'm not looking to get "something for nothing". I couldn't care less what ISP it is trying to scam customers. None of them should be doing it.

Maybe you didn't get the memo. But your a keyboard warrior on a online forum. Yeah i know you dont want to pay. But AT&T says others so unless you have some power to force them not to charge for the hotspot then you will be paying unless you jailbreak your iPhone. :D And i'm glad they are charging if you consume more you need to pay MORE. And you have no choice but to.

jamesryanbell
Mar 3, 2011, 11:43 AM
It should be free. I expect a LOT (and I mean a WHOLE LOT) for free...especially when it comes to sharing an intangible that I already pay for. If I want to route the data I pay for somewhere else, that should be MY CHOICE.

Ridiculous.

Next thread.

CylonGlitch
Mar 3, 2011, 11:48 AM
Maybe you didn't get the memo. But your a keyboard warrior on a online forum. Yeah i know you dont want to pay. But AT&T says others so unless you have some power to force them not to charge for the hotspot then you will be paying unless you jailbreak your iPhone. :D And i'm glad they are charging if you consume more you need to pay MORE. And you have no choice but to.

What I think he is saying, and I agree with, is that if you are paying for a 2GB plan, it shouldn't matter HOW you use that 2GB. If he was to download 2GB worth of porn on his iPhone, they won't complain. But he isn't allowed to use that 2GB with his laptop if he happens to have it with him? He paid for 2GB, he should be allowed to use it as he wants.

Go over 2GB, then they should, and will, charge you like crazy. That's the risk he is willing to take.

Sure they are betting that most people don't use 2GB; but guess what, they ALL should be allowed to do so if they want to, that is what they paid for. They didn't pay for a 1GB plan with an option for another 1GB if other people aren't using it.

Now, the consumer only has ONE option to get their voice heard. Either use their service or don't. Sadly for many of use, we want to use the iPhone and up until recently we had no choice at all. If the iPhone was on every carrier things would be very different. I hope, with the vPhone that we may see a tPhone or an sPhone soon, competition is good.

carmenodie
Mar 3, 2011, 11:50 AM
ain't going to get my damn money!
$45 per month just to tether. KMA ATT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JediZenMaster
Mar 3, 2011, 11:51 AM
It should be free. I expect a LOT (and I mean a WHOLE LOT) for free.
Ridiculous. Next thread.

Typical american :rolleyes: I'm glad that i'm not someone who expects a handout all the time.

QCassidy352
Mar 3, 2011, 11:53 AM

You think you're paying for 2 GB period, but that's not what your contract says. you're paying for up to 2 gb on a single device, the device for which you signed the contract. It may seem arbitrary to limit the use of that same 2 gb bucket to a single device, but you signed a contract saying that's the deal, not a contract saying you have 2 GB to use on any device. Sure, it would be nice if AT&T changed that language, but they sure don't have to b

azentropy
Mar 3, 2011, 11:55 AM
Still incorrect.

Your analogy fails because it isn't all-you-can-eat in terms of data for those with a 200mb or 2gb plan. It is a FIXED amount and we should be able to use it however we want, including tethering. The better analogy is buying a 44oz drink (no free refills) and being told you can only drink it with a stir straw. It is MY drink, I should be able to dump the whole thing on my head if I want!

If AT&T and Verizon are worried about people actually using the data, then they should be charging per data use and offering more plans. Offering just a 200mb/250mb plan (10oz drink) a 2gb plan (44oz drink) and a unlimited (free refills) is too limited. Instead they work a formula to figure out the right number of people to screw in order to subsides others.

JediZenMaster
Mar 3, 2011, 11:57 AM
Go over 2GB, then they should, and will, charge you like crazy. That's the risk he is willing to take.

You still know people would complain about that though. Its the typical american consumer. "Why is it not free" "You mean there is no free lunch" "Waa" "waa"

I work for a cell phone company that shall remain nameless and i get customers all the time who try to scam the system and refuse to add a data plan and yet expect their paid per use charges for data credited off.

So if that happened i bet he would be complaining about that. I give up on this argument because its already done. AT&t will charge for the tethering and there is nothing that can be done. Who are you guys going to go to Verizon? You will pay there too. So which is the lesser of the 2 Evils? :D

CylonGlitch
Mar 3, 2011, 12:00 PM
[SIZE=1]You think you're paying for 2 GB period, but that's not what your contract says. you're paying for up to 2 gb on a single device, the device for which you signed the contract. It may seem arbitrary to limit the use of that same 2 gb bucket to a single device, but you signed a contract saying that's the deal, not a contract saying you have 2 GB to use on any device. Sure, it would be nice if AT&T changed that language, but they sure don't have to b

Except, that you're still using that 2gb on the single device (your phone) even when tethered. The phone consumes the data off the phone network. Once it is received by the phone; how that data is used should be up to the consumer. In this case, they are sending that data to the computer.

If you were to download a 2GB movie and then transfer that movie to the computer via sync cable; no problem. If you were to download the SAME 2GB movie through the phone to your computer directly, you need to pay a lot more for that.

Yes, I understand what it is saying and to an extent I can agree with that. BUT at the same time, from the consumer point of view, they should be allowed to do with the data, once it reaches their phone, any thing they want -- and if that means sending it to their computer (one way or another) so be it.

From the business point of view, I can see it as well. They will say that more people will be closer to the 2GB limit and thus put more strain on the network -- but they paid for those 2GB, they should be allowed to use it. From the business point, I also agree that it should NOT be allowed on unlimited plans [the grandfathered plans] unless there is a special unlimited tethering plan (that would cost a lot). Because that does open the door for abuse. But once you limit how much data they can use, let them use it anyway they want. Then just screw them hard when they go over it (because many will).

pooprscooper
Mar 3, 2011, 12:04 PM

Ok Mr. Jedi... Obviously you lack the ability to comprehend that 2GB still = 2GB no matter how you use it. No one is using "more" because 2GB still = 2GB. Scamming customers by telling them they are only allowed to use that 2GB in a particular way and charging them an extra fee to use it while standing on one leg isn't acceptable.

Obviously we have to Jailbreak our own phone that we paid for in order to use the full functionality of them but that's only because companies are trying to scam us out of more money.

tigress666
Mar 3, 2011, 12:05 PM
So if that happened i bet he would be complaining about that. I give up on this argument because its already done. AT&t will charge for the tethering and there is nothing that can be done. Who are you guys going to go to Verizon? You will pay there too. So which is the lesser of the 2 Evils? :D

But I think some one else pinpointed it. On this forum AT&T is evil and if htey do it, it's bad. But Verizon = good so it's ok if they do it (notice there's not a whole thread dedicated to the fact Verizon is doing the same thing ;) ).

CylonGlitch
Mar 3, 2011, 12:07 PM
You still know people would complain about that though. Its the typical american consumer. "Why is it not free" "You mean there is no free lunch" "Waa" "waa"

Yes, sadly I agree with you 100%. But then we can point the finger at them and laugh saying, "Idiot, what did you expect when you downloaded 50gb of porn?" That puts the fault on the consumers shoulders; and stops the company from looking like they are screwing the customers.

I had a friend who's son ran up a $4000 bill on his cell phone one month because he went WAY over the plan. Guess what, he bitched and complained about it and got it reduced. I say; too bad, pay your bill you big baby. Make the kid work it off (he was 17 at the time), teach him a lesson.

I ran up a $2000+ bill calling China one month because I was dealing with a bad situation there. Guess what, I paid it. I was in college, it hurt, but I knew what I was doing and paid my dues.

I do agree, too many people are always trying to scam the system and avoid their responsibilities. Grow up and deal with the mistakes you make. :D

stisdal
Mar 3, 2011, 12:07 PM

I would not mind paying an additional fee to tether, ONLY if I can keep my unlimited data.... If I have to loose unlimited, then I guess I will look into a jailbreak, though I have never had a reason to before this.

JediZenMaster
Mar 3, 2011, 12:08 PM
Ok Mr. Jedi... Obviously you lack the ability to comprehend that 2GB still = 2GB no matter how you use it. No one is using "more" because 2GB still = 2GB. Scamming customers by telling them they are only allowed to use that 2GB in a particular way and charging them an extra fee to use it while standing on one leg isn't acceptable.

Obviously we have to Jailbreak our own phone that we paid for in order to use the full functionality of them but that's only because companies are trying to scam us out of more money.

And obviously you LACK the ability to understand not everyone is going to share your point of view. You can use your backhanded comments at me all you want. But at the end of the day you will still be paying for what you consume :D

iCrizzo
Mar 3, 2011, 12:09 PM
OK.. so I pay all this money for data.. when is ATT going to give me my ROLL OVER DATA??? :mad::mad:

pooprscooper
Mar 3, 2011, 12:10 PM
And obviously you LACK the ability to understand not everyone is going to share your point of view. You can use your backhanded comments at me all you want. But at the end of the day you will still be paying for what you consume :D

By having to use a Jailbreak of course. No one is asking for free data, just freedom to use it as you please.

CylonGlitch
Mar 3, 2011, 12:13 PM

It's like saying you go to Costco and buy a crate of Apples. But only find it to be 1/2 full. What you find out is that they know that most people won't eat more then 1/2 the crate so why fill it? If you do happen to want more then what is in the box, they will borrow some from your neighbor and give them to you up to the full box amount. BUT you can't eat them when you're hungry because then you may eat too many or too fast, you can only eat them when you're not that hungry. If you want to eat them when hungry, you have to pay more and they will give you a full box to start with (but may borrow some if you don't use them for someone else).

Someone needs to start a service & app that looks up your data plan usage and on the last day downloads all but 100mb worth of "nothing". This way, you get all that you paid for, right?

JediZenMaster
Mar 3, 2011, 12:13 PM
By having to use a Jailbreak of course. No one is asking for free data, just freedom to use it as you please.

You have the freedom to do that. You Can use the 2GB that comes with the data pro package for your iPhone and then you have the freedom to add the 2GB tethering on top of that to use with your iPad or MBP. :)

andrewsd
Mar 3, 2011, 12:17 PM

Couldn't have said it any better.. Plus I hardly ever have to tether so defiantly not paying more money a month for it.

PDXoPDX
Mar 3, 2011, 12:35 PM
$45/mo, lol. I hope that includes a bottle of lube. I'd jailbreak my phone, go w/o Wi-Fi, or drive to Starbucks w/ Wi-Fi before I'd pay AT&T any more money.

PDXoPDX
Mar 3, 2011, 12:40 PM
OK.. so I pay all this money for data.. when is ATT going to give me my ROLL OVER DATA??? :mad::mad:

According to AT&T, they did. Every month consumers roll over and take it :)

Full of Win
Mar 3, 2011, 12:44 PM
You have the freedom to do that. You Can use the 2GB that comes with the data pro package for your iPhone and then you have the freedom to add the 2GB tethering on top of that to use with your iPad or MBP. :)

Yet to have that freedom, you must give up the unlimited option on the iPhone. Why not offer the capped tether option as a separate add-on to the unlimited iOS data plan?

JediZenMaster
Mar 3, 2011, 12:48 PM
Yet to have that freedom, you must give up the unlimited option on the iPhone. Why not offer the capped tether option as a separate add-on to the unlimited iOS data plan?

Maybe the pricing would be an issue because the unlimited plan is 30 dollars so you added the tethering on to it that would be an extra 20. Which would cost more than the 2GB data pro and the tethering.

And then people would bitch and moan if they capped the tethering plan. I've figured out after being alive for 31 years that some people are never pleased with anything.

notabadname
Mar 3, 2011, 12:48 PM
Whether you tether or not, should not matter. It should just be how much data you sign-up for. Whether I use 90% of my monthly through my laptop, versus surfing via the phone is transparent to the carrier. Just sell a 250MB, 2 GB, 5GB and an unlimited plan (or similar) let me decide if I tether that data or use it directly on the phone. How does it change what they see in usage of their network?

NightStorm
Mar 3, 2011, 12:50 PM
Glad this has been confirmed; it will save me $130 off the cost of my new iPad 2. :cool:

WardC
Mar 3, 2011, 12:51 PM
Two words. RIP-OFF!

I have the $15/month data plan for 250MB on my iPhone 4, I never use half of that data. I was hoping they would add the mobile hotspot functionality in iOS 4.3 which would basically turn your existing data plan and iPhone into a router, a free add-on (this functionality does not cost any extra money for the network)...it uses your Wireless WiFi chip in the iPhone as a router essentially, and works off the same 3G data stream, so Apple could have built this functionality into the iPhone for FREE, and you could use your existing data plan. I would only like to use my iPhone to route Wireless 3G internet to my MacBook Pro (or MBA) on-the-go, maybe a couple times a month, to check a couple websites, post a few messages in discussion boards, and check my e-mail on my laptop. I would not be streaming video, downloading music or apps, or anything that required a massive amount of data. I could do fine with 250MB of data/month...using my existing $15/month data plan with a free mobile hotspot service. But, paying $25 + $20 a month for this? That is $45 in addition to my voice and text plan, so that means my cell phone bill would be around $100/month?????

THIS is a total rip-off. No way, Apple. No way, AT&T.

dgree03
Mar 3, 2011, 12:56 PM
Whether you tether or not, should not matter. It should just be how much data you sign-up for. Whether I use 90% of my monthly through my laptop, versus surfing via the phone is transparent to the carrier. Just sell a 250MB, 2 GB, 5GB and an unlimited plan (or similar) let me decide if I tether that data or use it directly on the phone. How does it change what they see in usage of their network?

This, and this isnt just and ATT problem. This is all telcos.

2gb is 2gb is 2gb. No matter if I use it on my phone or 6 other people use it off my phone tether. Once that 2gb is gone, then i should be charged overages.

Period.

noodle654
Mar 3, 2011, 12:59 PM
I'll stick with HangyLight.

Chris Blount
Mar 3, 2011, 01:14 PM
Well, guess I'm in the minority.

I took the 4GB with tethering deal over my grandfathered unlimited plan.

Here's the deal. I looked at my bills for the past year and I never used more than 2.5 GB of data. I was already paying $30 a month for unlimited. Now I'm paying $45 and have the capability of tethering and will have wifi hotspot next week. My iPad already has unlimited data and I'm more likely to watch streaming video on that anyway. Oh, and my Macbook Pro will like this as well. :)

Before anyone asks, no jailbreak for me. Tried it, didnt' like it.

CylonGlitch
Mar 3, 2011, 01:22 PM
How does it change what they see in usage of their network?

Because, like all providers, they over sell their bandwidth. Say they can push through 10TB of data / month maximum. And they want to sell 2GB / month plans. They take 10TB (1000GB = 1TB in this case to make it easy) or 10000GB and divide by 2GB to get 5000 possible accounts. BUT they also know that most people don't use all of their 2GB, in fact most only use half of that. So they sell 10,000 accounts (20TB worth of possible data) and make more money for not providing any more bandwidth. But now if everyone tried to use all 2GB they would be screwed because their network can't handle that much.

ALL providers of services do this. Even Airlines because they know that x number of people won't show up for every flight. Sucks when all the people do show up because SOMEONE HAS to get bumped.

The theory though is, if you actually had to pay for the full 2GB your monthly fee would be higher... but that's debatable.

eastercat
Mar 3, 2011, 01:36 PM
MyWi looks nice, but Im one of those people that would rather not jailbreak my phone. With my luck Id brick the damn thing no matter how easy it is.You can't brick your phone with jb. You can only brick your phone if you throw it into a pool of water or throw it off the empire state building. You can always recover a jb that goes south. Besides, there are tutorials on iclarified and jailbreakmatrix. The big thing is keeping the jb. You have to be willing to keep up with what's going on and also refuse to update through itunes.

Should the water company charge me extra for every faucet I have in my house? Should the power company charge me for every outlet?If the water companies in this country could get away with it, they'd make you pay half your monthly salary for water. It was done in other countries, where they follow Friedman economics and got rid of regulations, until the citizens overthrew the companies and took them over.

when is the FCC going to step in and stop these companies from raping us?Asking the government to regulate the hand that feeds them is a joke. Until the Supreme Court says that corporations don't count as people, you're stuck with this situation.

Let's see what happens.:rolleyes:The revolution will not be spelled correctly. Seriously people, learn to spell check if you don't want others to think of you as a dimwit.

The advantage to this is that you'd be paying an extra $20 over your regular iPhone bill whereas a dedicated iPad plan costs $25.The dedicated ipad plan starts at $15 for 200MB, so buying the 3G ipad is cheaper overall. This method is especially advantageous for iphone users grandfathered into the unlimited plan. No need to lose the unlimited and the ipad can still access 3G data.

I have less of an issue for paying extra for tethering. However, I do have an issue with not being able to keep my unlimited plan and getting the tethering. I listen to pandora and other streaming music apps during the work week for about 6-8 hours/day. I legitimately use about 8 GB/month. I'm not some loser who is too cheap to buy real internet access and uses the jb tether as a substitute.
My phone is jb, so I've purchased tetherme; the developer is enabling the hotspot for iOS 4.3.

Small White Car
Mar 3, 2011, 01:37 PM
If AT&T and Verizon are worried about people actually using the data, then they should be charging per data use and offering more plans.

They probably should, but we already covered this. You'll certainly end up paying more than you pay now.

Helluva thing to be wishing for.

HXGuy
Mar 3, 2011, 01:37 PM
Anyone know how fast the switch takes place if you activate this on your account? And if you cancel, it's pro-rated right? Any time limit on how many times you can do this?

I currently have a jailbroken iPhone 4 using MyWi that I tether my iPad to but only once every 4-5 weeks for like 1-2 hours. Would be cool if I could turn on the service for just when I need it and pay for only that 1-2 hours via pro-rate.

Fly Rodder
Mar 3, 2011, 01:41 PM
They probably should, but we already covered this. You'll certainly end up paying more than you pay now.

Meh, not so sure, depends where you are on the user spectrum. It should be progressive pricing. But that scares away utility providers because it reduces demand.

MarioB
Newbie question:

So if I jailbreak and use hotspot (not giving up my unlimited data, screw att) and connect my iPad2 to my iPhone4's network, can I use facetime? In other words, does it recognize it as a wifi network or just 3g? And I guess if its 3g, I can just use 3g restrict (or w/e the app is called that fools the device its on wifi)... Didn't really wanted to jailbreak, but att is just crazy for my $...

Thanks

valkraider
People need to get a better understanding of "rights" and "privacy" and those sorts of things.

AT&T is not the government. You don't really have "rights" to anything with AT&T, and you certainly don't have any expectation of "privacy".

We, as individual people, entered into service contracts with a corporation.

I suggest that before someone starts screaming about rights and whatnot they read the contract that they willingly entered into.

If you don't like what AT&T provides, don't enter into a contract with them. AT&T doesn't "owe" you anything other than the services they agree to in your contract.

Jebus people, if you don't like the price - don't buy it. It's really that simple.

marksman
I don't think anyone expects ATT to give unlimited data for free!! or for that matter unlimited tethering or capped tethering for just a few buck a month more.

Have you read THIS thread or any of the hundred other similar threads like it over the past few years? Something for free is exactly what people want...

When people say they want tethering to be free with their unlimited plan or they want to be able to use their 2 gig however they want, they are saying "I want to use more data every month for the same price."

That is wanting something for free. As I have explained 100x over and as people still don't seem to understand... All the pricing is done based on average usage. If the average goes up, the cost goes up, and ultimately the price will go up if not offset in some other way. It is that simple. So when all these people say they want to just use their 2 gigs, they are asking for something for free.

The problem here is "price discrimination" that is a little too aggressive. I think most people are just seeking fair service for a fair price.

Given the number of people who are paying for service, I think that is disingenious. What we have here are people who are in the top percentile of users, who are already subsidized heavily by the rest of us for their wireless data access, who are acting like petulant children demanding that AT&T and the rest of us provide them with even more inexpensive or free bandwidth.

Pay to tether? Outrageous!

You pay for data. Whether you use up that data on one device or another is irrelevant.

It is wholly relevant if the way you access the data causes you to use more data. Prices are set based on how much data people use. Saying that it doesn't matter how people use their data is ignorant of how prices are set for this things and how companies like AT&T and Verizon acquire their most significant cost for providing these services.

Yeah its sinking in that those of us who would like to pay a little less for lets say 500MB or 1GB are subsidizing those who use more data.

I am with you. On my main phone right now I am on the $15 a month plan.. I would like even a lower tier plan, and another tier less than 2 gigs would be great... However all of that will cause the highest tier plan to potentially become more expensive as the power users get less subsidies from those who use less data. Right now they are demanding more data for the same price, which of course just makes costs go up for everyone.

[QUOTE=pooprscooper;12048320]Are you retarded? I want 2GB as 2GB. Not 2GB with an extra fee of $20 just because I want to use that 2GB in a different way. Obviously if I'm paying for 2GB I'm not looking to get "something for nothing". I couldn't care less what ISP it is trying to scam customers. None of them should be doing it.

You don't just want to use the 2 gig in a certain way. Before tethering you were using 300 megs, and after tethering you are using 1.8 gigs. You are not just using it in a different way, you are using 600% more of it, every single month. That is why you had to pay more. If you were using 2 gigs a month without tethering and 2 gigs a month with tethering you wouldn't care at all right? But who one earth would be using the same amount of data every month before and after tethering? Pretty much nobody right? So that means every person who uses tethering is using MORE data, which means more expenses for the wireless company.

Personally I would like them to come up a way to cut people off from using mywifi with the unlimited plan. It is making data costs more expensive for the rest of us who are not abusing the system.

The bottom line is the average usage of data determines the cost... If costs come down over time, then the amount of data available can be offset. However what people are asking for here is essentially akin to saying Apple must provide 64 gigs in the iPad 2 for $499

eastercat
Mar 3, 2011, 01:45 PM
You'll be able to facetime on your ipad (it's the one connected to wifi), but not the iphone4 (it's creating the wifi). To facetime on the iphone4, you'll have to use my3G or a similar program.
Newbie question:

So if I jailbreak and use hotspot (not giving up my unlimited data, screw att) and connect my iPad2 to my iPhone4's network, can I use facetime? In other words, does it recognize it as a wifi network or just 3g? And I guess if its 3g, I can just use 3g restrict (or w/e the app is called that fools the device its on wifi)... Didn't really wanted to jailbreak, but att is just crazy for my $...

Thanks

rjohnstone
Mar 3, 2011, 01:51 PM
People need to get a better understanding of "rights" and "privacy" and those sorts of things.

AT&T is not the government. You don't really have "rights" to anything with AT&T, and you certainly don't have any expectation of "privacy".

We, as individual people, entered into service contracts with a corporation.

I suggest that before someone starts screaming about rights and whatnot they read the contract that they willingly entered into.

If you don't like what AT&T provides, don't enter into a contract with them. AT&T doesn't "owe" you anything other than the services they agree to in your contract.

Jebus people, if you don't like the price - don't buy it. It's really that simple.
This...

No one put a gun to anyone's head when signing the contract.
Don't like the terms, don't sign.

Even freedom has a price. NOTHING is free.

Fly Rodder
Mar 3, 2011, 01:57 PM
All the pricing is done based on average usage.
And that's fine and dandy, but that's NOT how the telcos market their services and bandwidth (that they've bid on and purchased through federal auction). In addition to that little bait and switch, they provide pretty ridiculous "tiered" pricing that provides little or no choice.

In a perfect, free market, I'd be able to buy whatever hardware I want and shop for the best rate for access. In a restricted market, what we get is a limited choice between hardware and providers, and almost zero choice for service access. The few providers choose competition be based on a nebulous, subjective variable, such as "quality" and NOT price.

It's a massive shell game where the consumer has almost zero protection other than through government intervention (e.g., regulations), which end up being written by the telecommunications companies. So the consumer is essentially left with their own voice and telling people to "shut up and pay for it or don't" is not a solution.

azentropy
Mar 3, 2011, 01:58 PM

Well "I" wouldn't because I'm in the large group that gets screwed subsidizing others. Typically I use between 200-500mb a month, even when I occasionally use tethering through Handylight or Jailbreaking as I have access to WiFi "most" of the time. The current plans penalize those with lower usage but still require the ability to tether at times.

dstankus
Mar 3, 2011, 02:13 PM
Should the water company charge me extra for every faucet I have in my house? Should the power company charge me for every outlet?

Makes sense to me.

The problem here is the concept of the "unlimited" data plan. If you pay for 2gb you should be able to use that 2gb however you like, on your phone, ipad, whatever.

If you have the unlimited plan, I can see the argument that while you might use 2gb, 4gb, 8gb, whatever on your phone, but you'll very likely use lots more if you also tether your ipad to your phone.

pooprscooper
Mar 3, 2011, 02:16 PM

Do you work for a telco? Freedom isn't given to you by a dictator. Locking down features that are inherently available on the phone and then charging you fees to unlock them isn't freedom.

Would you mind if your home ISP started charging you per device hooked up to your network?

JediZenMaster
Mar 3, 2011, 02:36 PM
Do you work for a telco? Freedom isn't given to you by a dictator. Locking down features that are inherently available on the phone and then charging you fees to unlock them isn't freedom.

Would you mind if your home ISP started charging you per device hooked up to your network?

Actually i do work in the telecommunications industry and i don't have an issue with AT&T at all. I'm just not going to justify or defend my POV. But do you really think that whining on mac rumors is going to force AT&T to change?

At the end of the day you will JB your iPhone or Pay for tethering. Its very hard to deal with posting on a forum where people act as if AT&T is the only company that want's to make a profit. Verizon does the same thing but yet when that fact is one that certain people choose to forget.

Looking at this thread you would think that AT&T is the only company that charges for those and im sure some people are so blinded by their own ignorance that they think its the only company that does charge.

iBrother
Mar 3, 2011, 02:51 PM
I honestly dont see either of the two iPhone carriers doing anything groundbreaking as far as deals at this point. I did like the rollover data comment though.

Chris Blount
Mar 3, 2011, 02:59 PM
Actually i do work in the telecommunications industry and i don't have an issue with AT&T at all. I'm just not going to justify or defend my POV. But do you really think that whining on mac rumors is going to force AT&T to change?

At the end of the day you will JB your iPhone or Pay for tethering. Its very hard to deal with posting on a forum where people act as if AT&T is the only company that want's to make a profit. Verizon does the same thing but yet when that fact is one that certain people choose to forget.

Looking at this thread you would think that AT&T is the only company that charges for those and im sure some people are so blinded by their own ignorance that they think its the only company that does charge.Thank you and you know what's funnier is that some people here shouldn't even own cell phones. Reminds me of the poor person on the corner wearing $200 tennis shoes who complains that people aren't giving him what he wants.

If you buy a smart phone like the iPhone, be prepared to pay extra for perks. If you don't like it, don't pay. Voting with your wallet is always best.

Personally having Verizon on board as been a good thing. AT&T now must conform to iPhone market forces. Their monopoly on the iPhone was rediculous and I'm glad its over.

Jaro65
Mar 3, 2011, 03:10 PM

The government really shouldn't be the one to call the kettle black....

ghostlyorb
Mar 3, 2011, 03:14 PM
I wonder how many people will use this.. It's so simple to jailbreak these days. And for a one time fee of $20 for MyWi.. you can't beat that!

pooprscooper
Mar 3, 2011, 03:35 PM

Looking at this thread you would think that AT&T is the only company that charges for those and im sure some people are so blinded by their own ignorance that they think its the only company that does charge.

Yea, it was pretty obvious that you did. Nobody is "whining" on an internet forum. We're simply having a discussion on a forum. You might want to look up on what that word actually means and its intended use. Your attempts to insult people rather than disprove the statements shows an inability to prove the legitimacy of your own point of view. Of course you're not going to justify or defend your POV, you will simply try to make up things up to insult people because you have no argument.

You're the only one assuming that AT&T is the only company doing this. And we all know what assumptions are...

I also don't see a point in charging for voice service with free VOIP. Neither would I accept paying for each cable box hooked up to a TV either when you can grab the same content over the internet. All I or anyone else needs is a dummy pipe from an ISP and everything is done over that connection. What I choose to do over it whether it be voice, movies or browsing the web is of no concern to the ISP and my packets won't be selectively charged based on their protocols.

DrJohnnyN
Mar 3, 2011, 03:51 PM
Cannot wait. :apple:

pooprscooper
Mar 3, 2011, 03:56 PM
Thank you and you know what's funnier is that some people here shouldn't even own cell phones. Reminds me of the poor person on the corner wearing $200 tennis shoes who complains that people aren't giving him what he wants.

If you buy a smart phone like the iPhone, be prepared to pay extra for perks. If you don't like it, don't pay. Voting with your wallet is always best.

Personally having Verizon on board as been a good thing. AT&T now must conform to iPhone market forces. Their monopoly on the iPhone was rediculous and I'm glad its over.

There's no need to pull the elitist attitude that just because you don't mind dumping money left and right on services that are free that you're somehow better than those who won't.

I can understand the analogy of the 30K millionaire who buys a car and can't afford to put premium gas in it but no one is complaining about not getting everything they want just because they feel their entitled to it by simply owning an iPhone. They're just asking to use the features already built into the phone without being scammed into excessive fees for features already available.

There's a reason why telcos are now finally letting Skype and other services use 3G whereas they used to block them by forcing Apple to not allow them in the App Store. There's also a reason why AT&T took so long to enable tethering in the first place. Apple isn't the one locking down features and pushing telcos to nickel and dime you for every feature. They would love to give you all these features when you purchase the phone but are at the will of the telcos who won't allow a device on their network without locking them down.

Having a monopoly on the telecom market doesn't allow you to vote with your wallet. You want the phone but can't just move it to any network without unlocking it and paying termination fees/unsubsidized premium price. You need a phone service to operate in this day and age but are severely limited in your options. It's not a free market where you have a true choice.

ten-oak-druid
Mar 3, 2011, 03:56 PM
This...

No one put a gun to anyone's head when signing the contract.
Don't like the terms, don't sign.

Even freedom has a price. NOTHING is free.

I get so tired of people uttering this comment as though customers do not have a right to negotiate. Ultimately customers do. They can all en masse not sign such contracts and then the businesses have to try harder. But perhaps enough complaining can change things without it coming to that.

Freedom comes with a price. For you the price is being annoyed at all the complaints others are free to make.

Chris Blount
Mar 3, 2011, 05:10 PM
There's no need to pull the elitist attitude that just because you don't mind dumping money left and right on services that are free that you're somehow better than those who won't.But I am. :p Those who get something for free that morally and ethically should be paying for it are thiefs in my book.

You need a phone service to operate in this day and age but are severely limited in your options.I beg to differ. You need food and water, not a phone and certainly not an iPhone.

rjohnstone
Mar 3, 2011, 05:19 PM
I get so tired of people uttering this comment as though customers do not have a right to negotiate. Ultimately customers do. They can all en masse not sign such contracts and then the businesses have to try harder. But perhaps enough complaining can change things without it coming to that.

Freedom comes with a price. For you the price is being annoyed at all the complaints others are free to make.
You're missing my point.
Your right to negotiate is still there at the point of purchase.
Once you sign the contract, your right to negotiate ends, as does theirs.

If the carrier is providing the service you agreed to in the contract, you have no right to complain.

You complain when the terms of the contract you signed are not being met.

All consumers have an out to the contract too. The almighty ETF.
Don't like the terms of the contract anymore, use your out.

The agreement becomes void and you are free to try and negotiate a new deal with another carrier.

That's how the free market works.

DrJohnnyN
Mar 3, 2011, 05:21 PM
I beg to differ. You need food and water, not a phone and certainly not an iPhone.

But an iPhone does make life more enjoyable. :p

Chris Blount
Mar 3, 2011, 05:46 PM
But an iPhone does make life more enjoyable. :pOK, I'm with you on that one. ;)

raremage
Mar 3, 2011, 05:56 PM
Having a monopoly on the telecom market doesn't allow you to vote with your wallet. You want the phone but can't just move it to any network without unlocking it and paying termination fees/unsubsidized premium price. You need a phone service to operate in this day and age but are severely limited in your options. It's not a free market where you have a true choice.

I beg to differ. You need food and water, not a phone and certainly not an iPhone.

The most important part - "certainly not an iphone."

You absolutely have a choice. Get a basic pay as you go service for a basic phone. Get a cheap all you can eat plan with a regional carrier, like Metro PCS. Get a pre-paid Boost Mobile phone. But if you can't afford it, or can only just afford it, why do you need a smartphone?

AppDeveloper
Mar 3, 2011, 06:37 PM

You have the right idea.

This functionality makes it so I do not have to buy the 3g iteration of the iPad. My wifi version will do just fine now.

There's no reason I can think of that the 3G version would be a better choice unless money is no issue.

Well there is one reason which made me to buy 3G version although I have never used 3G connection functionality. It's the GPS chip in it! You don't have to have activated 3G data plan subscription to work with GPS. I use the iPad as GPS navigation with Off maps applications. I just download the area where I am going. It works beautifully. And now with iPhone hotspots I can use it also with online maps.

I just don't understand why Apple doesn't talk more about that difference between WiFi only and WiFi/3G model is also in this GPS chip... The price different would look also more acceptable I think...

marksman
Mar 3, 2011, 06:44 PM
Makes sense to me.

The problem here is the concept of the "unlimited" data plan. If you pay for 2gb you should be able to use that 2gb however you like, on your phone, ipad, whatever.

If you have the unlimited plan, I can see the argument that while you might use 2gb, 4gb, 8gb, whatever on your phone, but you'll very likely use lots more if you also tether your ipad to your phone.

A lot of you people are your own worst enemies.

Seriously.. This is so silly.

AT&T and Verizon could give you what you want.. Unfettered access to use your data any way you want.. The cost of that would be $70 maybe $80 a month though..

Would you realize how dumb your demands were when AT&T gave you exactly what you wanted and started charging you $80 a month? You do not even actually understand what you are askng for that is the crazy part of all this.

Most of you seriously do not even know what you are asking for from AT&T, you are asking for them to charge you more money which makes absolutely no sense.

You want AT&T to set their prices based on people being able to use their full 2 gigs a month anyway they want it. Okay the price for that will be $80 a month.

In your head you seem to think that AT&T should offer you that for $25, but that is because for some reason you can't absorb what you are actually paying for now and how and why AT&T's price is a bargain for people using 2 gigs a month every month now.

This is like egg producers charging people different amounts for eggs, where one guy pays 1 penny for a dozen eggs and another guy pays $10 for a dozen eggs, and the guy paying 1 penny is demanding more eggs for his penny. It is literally INSANE.

tigress666
Mar 3, 2011, 07:26 PM
This is like egg producers charging people different amounts for eggs, where one guy pays 1 penny for a dozen eggs and another guy pays $10 for a dozen eggs, and the guy paying 1 penny is demanding more eggs for his penny. It is literally INSANE.

No it would be more like the company telling people they have have up to a dozen eggs for 7.00 (fair price being 1 dollar per eegg) based on the idea that most people only use 5 eggs but putting on charges for people much more likely to use more than 5 eggs, they want to use those eggs for baking and not just for breakfast (basically a bit of gamble the company stacks in their favor that they are charging more than what most people use with incentive that the consumer could get a good deal cause they can get 12 eggs for the price of 7!)

And those people who are much more likely complaining that they should be able to use the full 12 eggs. Which is technically true but what they don't realize is that if everyone uses those full 12 eggs, the company will now have to charge 12 dollars to make a profit for the 12 eggs. No discounts cause the company now knows that you will use 12 and it is a losing gamble to bet you won't.

The solution to this is the pay for what you use scenario. Of which the people who want to use all full 12 eggs won't win in this scenario, they will still be paying for what they use and it will be much higher prices than what they are used to. But the people who don't use much? They win in this scenario.

So, to you people wanting to use all 12 eggs, you will pay for it one way or the other. At least this way some of us can still get a good deal (Those who would use the 12 eggs but don't need to do something that makes it obvious to the company that we would definitely be using all 12).

raremage
Mar 3, 2011, 07:43 PM
The solution to this is the pay for what you use scenario. Of which the people who want to use all full 12 eggs won't win in this scenario, they will still be paying for what they use and it will be much higher prices than what they are used to. But the people who don't use much? They win in this scenario.

You know who else loses in that scenario? The farmer selling the eggs. His model for selling eggs is not based on the fact that 'it all evens out in the end;' it's based on the fact that a huge percentage of his customers will use significantly less than average. By capping the heavy users and making a killing on the ones that only use 3 eggs (as opposed to five), and further knowing that only a very small percentage EVER use seven eggs in a month. Thus he has no need to invest in more chickens, chicken coops, or farm hands to collect more eggs. Worst case, if he absolutely HAD to add more chickens, he would just squeeze a few more into the existing henhouse, mucking things up a bit in the process.

So, have we stretched this analogy enough? It's beginning to look a bit thin...

Pigumon
Mar 4, 2011, 12:09 AM
Rage, rage, rage. As was said above, it is a fee to flip a 0 to a 1, but even if I'm one of the only voices saying this, there are added costs associated with this for a wireless carrier. Customers who use tethering are going to use far more data than customers who use only their phone—and that applies doubly so to many among the vocal audience here, I'll wager—and that means added costs and strain on AT&T's already taxed network. They are well within their rights to charge for this service.

Charge as much as they do? That's definitely debatable, and definitely trying to make a tidy profit from these plans. As much a ripoff as text messages? Rubbish. Text messaging is probably the most overpriced service offered by wireless carries by far.

You need to understand the truth here. AT&T is charging me EXTRA because I use a little more than 200MB. They are offering 2GB per month for a certain cost. IF it "overtaxes" their system, that's all AT&T's problem., not mine. And if at any time they can't give me 2GB per month as I am paying for, then they are committing fraud against me.

I pay for 2GB and I should be able to use it anyway I see fit.

I guarantee a class action suit or FCC investigation is in the near future for AT&T because of this.

If you were to look at your data usage the last day of your billing cycle, figure out how much of the 2GB you didn't use, and then go download a video of that length, they wouldn't complain. But you had better not allow your computer to download that same video via your phone because, in some way, that's costs another $45 per month.

Much better.

marksman
Mar 4, 2011, 12:55 AM
I guarantee a class action suit or FCC investigation is in the near future for AT&T because of this.

How much money do you want to put up behind that...

Do you not understand that this is a very common and widely accepted way that businesses price products and services, especially ones that have customers with varying levels of utilization for an ongoing service?

MikePA
Mar 4, 2011, 03:45 AM
With my luck Id brick the damn thing no matter how easy it is.

It is technically impossible to brick your iPhone doing a jb.

rhett7660
Mar 4, 2011, 09:03 AM

Yup... the carriers need to get on board with this!

iPhoneCollector
Mar 4, 2011, 10:25 AM
just move ti europe and you'll have "free" tethering.

Vmaatta
Mar 4, 2011, 12:04 PM
Well, guess I'm in the minority.

I took the 4GB with tethering deal over my grandfathered unlimited plan.

Here's the deal. I looked at my bills for the past year and I never used more than 2.5 GB of data. I was already paying $30 a month for unlimited. Now I'm paying $45 and have the capability of tethering and will have wifi hotspot next week. My iPad already has unlimited data and I'm more likely to watch streaming video on that anyway. Oh, and my Macbook Pro will like this as well. :)

Before anyone asks, no jailbreak for me. Tried it, didnt' like it.

And I’m paying 9.90€ /mo for an unlimited data (speed and amount) and the telco has nothing to say on whether I tether or not. Or use VoIP apps (or whatever) on the phone or not. That’s here in the wonderland where phones and carriers have always been bought separately (these days carriers are allowed to offer bundles too).

Seriously. Looking at the US (and other) carrier locked mobile markets from the outside I can only hope that crap never comes here. You are being scammed your socks off :eek:.

About this tethering thing… It’s been possible to tether via IR, serial cable, USB cable, bluetooth, whatever the phone supports, ever since the days of GPRS (even before) and it really makes no difference for the network how you use your data.

Some commenters say things like “before you only used 200mb but with tethering you use 1.8gb”. That is completely missing the point. If your carrier sells you a 2gb/mo plan then you get 2gb/mo, period. Overages may apply or the data is simply cut… whatever. But it makes no didly difference how you use up your allotted data amount at the speed your plan has.

JimmyDreams
Mar 4, 2011, 02:06 PM
Here's a scenario for you:

Remember when ASCAP went after the little girl (and others) who downloaded some pirated music and slammed her Mommy for $400K in damages? Downloading music without paying required fees was easy, simple and a free lunch.

Oops. That was an expensive lesson. $.99/song doesn't sound so bad now, does it?

One of these days, AT&T, Verizon, Apple, or some other 'harmed entity' is going to wake up and decide that they can sue the crap out of anyone who has JB'd their phone. Cynda and other companies will have their records supoenaed. The 'free lunch' is over and there's nowhere to hide. Remember that credit check you initially went through when you first signed up your cell phone contract? Suddenly, you find yourself blacklisted from every major cell provider because you have violated your contracts. Good luck getting ANY service contract or maybe you'll pay "high risk" prices like auto insurance for DUIers.

All because you felt you had the right to change the specifics of the contract you willingly agreed to with AT&T/Verizon/Apple. Because in the end, that's all this boils down to....

Good luck with that. I'll stick with my plan or pay the tethering charge at my discretion. I can't wait for all the whining if the above scenario comes to pass.

Flame suit on.

LagunaSol
Mar 4, 2011, 02:51 PM
One of these days, AT&T, Verizon, Apple, or some other 'harmed entity' is going to wake up and decide that they can sue the crap out of anyone who has JB'd their phone.

Good luck with that.

raremage
Mar 4, 2011, 04:10 PM
Good luck with that.

I think the important point is not whether or not they can win such a lawsuit - the question is would any individual want to have to defend such a lawsuit?
Looking at it realistically, the costs alone would lead to bankruptcy.

So the good news is you spend five+ years fighting it and eventually win. The bad news is you lost everything along the way paying to defend it. Yippee!

Chris Blount
Mar 4, 2011, 11:10 PM
Flame suit on.Yeah, we live in a crazy world where people who wish to actually pay for services need to defend themselves. Something is backwards.

TheAmoryWars
Mar 8, 2011, 03:53 PM
I apologize if this has been answered, but if I got grandfathered in to unlimited data on my AT&T iPhone 4, can I use the Personal Hotspot to get 3G on a wi-fi only iPad and save the $25 a month? Or am I better off getting a 3G iPad?

Thanks for the time.

pooprscooper
Mar 8, 2011, 04:15 PM
The most important part - "certainly not an iphone."

You absolutely have a choice. Get a basic pay as you go service for a basic phone. Get a cheap all you can eat plan with a regional carrier, like Metro PCS. Get a pre-paid Boost Mobile phone.

Just proved my point. Your choice between a cheapo throw away phone and pay as your go service is the only alternative. As I said, your choices are severely limited.