PDA

View Full Version : Who prefers old Apple iPad case to Smart Cover?

KenGold
Mar 3, 2011, 10:56 AM
I'm not too impressed with the Smart Cover, which I think has "gimmick" written all over it. Have had the iPad 1 since Day 1 with the Apple iPad case, and have never taken it out of the case to use it naked. I prefer it that way, and DON'T want to get the Smart Cover with the iPad 2. In fact, I'm hoping that Apple still will make a case like they did for the iPad 1, refitted for the iPad 2.

Reason's I prefer the old case?

1. Easier to grip - I always found the aluminum back of the iPad a bit slick to the hand and was afraid of dropping it. The "suede-like" feel of Apple's case gives me a tacky sensation, and confidence I won't drop it.

2. The stand flap works - Yeah, it isn't so stable when using the case's stand upright, but when used horizontally, it is very good. Besides, inserting the cover edge into the flap gives me another way to grip the iPad, i.e. with my thumb in between the front and back sides of the case and four fingers on the outside of the cover. It gives me more confidence, once again, that I won't drop the iPad.

3. Easier to use in bed with old case - Let's face it.....many of us use the iPad predominantly in bed, either sitting up or lying down. Having the case folded back into the flap allows me to rest the iPad on my front legs and waist with the angle just perfect. Or I can hold the iPad more easily for viewing in bed with the cover folded in the flap. With the new Smart Cover, we won't be able to do that, and I can envision the magnets not being strong enough to keep the cover in place for very long. That could become a huge annoyance.

4. The Apple case was thin and light enough. One thing said in the keynote about the Smart Cover is that it won't detract from the light weight and thinness of the iPad 2. However, I've never felt the old case made the iPad 1 unacceptably thicker or heavier. It's really very thin and the iPad has a snug and secure fit inside the Apple case, keeping the entire unit thin. Why can't Apple simply make another version of their case instead of replacing it with the Smart Cover? In reality, they should offer both choices, and let the customer decide.

I realize that there will be 3rd party cases made to allow me a choice if I don't like the Smart Cover. However, I was just fine with Apple's iPad case, which fit the iPad like a glove, was easy and secure to handle, attractive in suede-black, and worked in all situations without detaching from the iPad (or the iPad falling out). I can't see the same thing for the Smart Cover. And I haven't even talked about the protection against scratching. The Apple iPad cover offers so much more than the gimmicky Smart Cover, unless you can't find the sleep/awake button easily, LOL.

What say you? Apple's original iPad case or the new Smart Cover? (for sake of discussion, leave 3rd party covers out of it.)

franmatt80
Mar 3, 2011, 10:58 AM
I do think the original case is good - I've bought so many over the last few months, and keep coming back to the Apple case.

However, I am tempted by the new cases (and therefore new iPad!) I like the fact it will be so thin with just a flap, and I'll probably just find a really thin sleeve to put it in when I'm chucking it into my handbag with car keys etc.

Need to get it in my hands first to really know….

patp
Mar 3, 2011, 10:59 AM
will the new ipad work with the case?

I'm thinking if you buy ipad 2 your only official Apple option is the smart cover.

i think it's pretty easy. If you have first gen ipad, you use a the apple case. if new ipad you use the smart cover?

Blakjack
Mar 3, 2011, 10:59 AM
I love the cover for what it does, but The iPad 1 case is way more practical. I hope but highly doubt it that apple creates a full body case like the apple case but also functions like the cover. Why they didn't do that is beyond me

saving107
Mar 3, 2011, 11:01 AM
I think I want the new iPad 2 just because of the Smart Case, everything else (specs and design) is just an added bonus.

Kadin
Mar 3, 2011, 11:02 AM
Well I don't really care for how the Apple Case gets so 'dirty' from just typical handling. The smudges and stuff just look awful if you ask me, and it's not the simplest to clean. Also the edges of the case really annoys me with how the material sort of pokes out along all the sides.

As to the Smart Covers, I don't know. My big concern besides breaking or scratching up the glass is marking up and scratching the backside. As beautiful as it is, I can't stand seeing a nice aluminum backing muffed up with scratches and dings. Hopefully this model will be even easier to get a nice skin on the back and if so, I'll definitely get these covers...

KenGold
Mar 3, 2011, 11:04 AM
will the new ipad work with the case?

I'm thinking if you buy ipad 2 your only official Apple option is the smart cover.

The thinner design and slightly different shape of the iPad 2 will make the original Apple iPad case a poor fit for the new iPad. Apple will need to make a new case if they want to satisfy people like me, custom-fitted to the new iPad 2. Like I said in my original post, I hope they make BOTH the Smart Cover and a new version of the Apple case, and let me decide which one I want to buy. $39 for either, of course, is a hefty price.

KenGold
Mar 3, 2011, 11:06 AM
I think I want the new iPad 2 just because of the Smart Case, everything else (specs and design) is just an added bonus.

You call it a "Smart Case", but it's not. A "case" implies a full envelope around the device. This is just a flap-like cover, which doesn't hold the iPad inside or protect the back and side edges of the iPad. It's really kind of cheap and cheesy, when you think about it.

err404
Mar 3, 2011, 11:11 AM
Most of OP's concerns are tied to ergonomics. Early reports suggest that the new design feels "better" in your hand. With a lighter device and a different shape, it's hard to know if the concerns will still be valid.
I like the old case, but the edges are terrible. I prefer using the old iPad case-less, so an easier to remove cover is a good thing.
If I get the new device, I'll get the cover for the front and a skin for the back.

KaPOWitsCHRIS
Mar 3, 2011, 11:16 AM
I didn't own the last iPad or case but I think it is better..

ZZ Bottom
Yes first case is much more practical for protection and function. Apple will not likely make another of these cases, so here's to hope a third party company makes one like Apples first gen. Not a fan of the excessively thick cases, so one made of similar materials would be much appreciated.

tritonj
i too like the old case more

the size and shape are the same for the most part, the only problem may be thickness so you can probably slip in a few sheets of paper or something like that to make up for the thickness so it doesn't fall out of the case. i'm sure the old case will still work, the question will be how much longer will the old cases be available at the stores

KenGold
Mar 3, 2011, 11:17 AM
Most of OP's concerns are tied to ergonomics. Early reports suggest that the new design feels "better" in your hand. With a lighter device and a different shape, it's hard to know if the concerns will still be valid.
I like the old case, but the edges are terrible. I prefer using the old iPad case-less, so an easier to remove cover is a good thing.
If I get the new device, I'll get the cover for the front and a skin for the back.

You brought up the one negative I failed to mention in my original post. The edges of the original case ARE sharp and take some getting used to. After nearly a year of use, however, I barely notice it and think the ergonomic benefits far outweight the sharp edges of the case.

I think the Smart Cover may be better to the touch, but you can't just "hold the flap (backwards from the front of the device) to hold the device like you can with the original case. The magnets simply cannot be THAT strong, and I'd think the iPad would get detached from the Smart Cover. Will just have to try it in-store to make sure.

Piggie
Mar 3, 2011, 11:18 AM
Apple should make the old style case for the new iPad, but also offer it in Black or White to match your iPad.

Great shame they are not going to still offer this version for those who wish to protect the outside of their device.

I can see the new cover being pulled off accidentally all the time, and it WILL scratch the device over time. It's not possible to have metal to metal contact without scratching. Any metal will scratch over time, let alone Aluminium.

KenGold
Mar 3, 2011, 11:20 AM
i too like the old case more

the size and shape are the same for the most part, the only problem may be thickness so you can probably slip in a few sheets of paper or something like that to make up for the thickness so it doesn't fall out of the case. i'm sure the old case will still work, the question will be how much longer will the old cases be available at the stores

Ughh......using papers or something to thicken the unit inside the case so it won't slip out seems awfully messy! I hope (pray) that Apple sees that customers like me WANT the original case refitted to the iPad 2, and decides to make it.

BrennerM
Mar 3, 2011, 11:23 AM
Even if you compensate for the thickness, you obviously won't be able to use the rear camera with the old case (unless you start cutting holes in it).

I'm not planning to get an iPad 2 but if I were I would still prefer a case like the original Apple Case to the "smart cover" idea.

I'm expecting that case makers will love the magnets built into the new iPad and will be working on slimmer profile full-body cases/folios that use the magnets as part of the mechanism to hold the iPad into the case, and for the cover closure as well. But it might be a while before we see quality cases of this type come to market.

iMJustAGuy
Mar 3, 2011, 11:26 AM
ME.

When I first saw the smart cover I thought it was the tackiest thing in the world. After seeing the video and (other) color options I did like it a lot more. However, I don't like the fact that the back is not protected. The original Apple iPad case was perfect IMO. It was sleek and minimalistic yet provided great functionality.

bidwalj
Mar 3, 2011, 11:29 AM
the new cover is honestly what i been wanting! i like to use my ipad naked and was in the market for a stand. This does that and protects the screen.

tritonj
Mar 3, 2011, 11:29 AM
Ughh......using papers or something to thicken the unit inside the case so it won't slip out seems awfully messy! I hope (pray) that Apple sees that customers like me WANT the original case refitted to the iPad 2, and decides to make it.

paper probably wouldn't be the best choice, just what came to mind to use as an example, i'm sure after some thought everyone can come up with something better, the difference needed to be made up isn't much and should be fairly easy to do. i doubt they will redo the case, since they want to push the new ones

Even if you compensate for the thickness, you obviously won't be able to use the rear camera with the old case (unless you start cutting holes in it).

I'm not planning to get an iPad 2 but if I were I would still prefer a case like the original Apple Case to the "smart cover" idea.

I'm expecting that case makers will love the magnets built into the new iPad and will be working on slimmer profile full-body cases/folios that use the magnets as part of the mechanism to hold the iPad into the case, and for the cover closure as well. But it might be a while before we see quality cases of this type come to market.

i guess i'm in hte minority here, i don't see any use for the back camera at all, it just seems cumbersome tot try to take a picture which a camera that is that big. i'd sooner use a phone or a point and shoot, and there isn't much of a convience factor gained since just about every phone has a camera and the phone is probably lowest common denominator when it comes to devices most likely to be carried by a person. the front camera is nice but i rarely use face time now so even if it gets covered i wouldn't miss it much

iMJustAGuy
Mar 3, 2011, 11:30 AM
the new cover is honestly what i been wanting! i like to use my ipad naked and was in the market for a stand. This does that and protects the screen.

Yes but it doesn't bother you that the back will always be exposed. I liked before when I could just get in my car and "chunk" it in the passenger seat on the way to school. Normal everyday travel situations like this are the reason I cannot bite the bullet on this cover.

kwajkat
Mar 3, 2011, 11:34 AM
The new cover does nothing for me. If you watch the videos closely it looks like it could easily flip back enough to turn on or come off if touched just right. If you are carrying it in a back pack etc, I could see the battery draining fairly easy if it did that. Also there is no real protection for it like a case would provide. My question would be if it will fit my zagg keyboard like the old one does which since the measurements are basically the same it should.

bidwalj
Mar 3, 2011, 11:34 AM
Yes but it doesn't bother you that the back will always be exposed. I liked before when I could just get in my car and "chunk" it in the passenger seat on the way to school. Normal everyday travel situations like this are the reason I cannot bite the bullet on this cover.

When i travel, i have a bag that i stick it in so thats not a problem. I also use the dock so the old case didn't work with that either. Where do you keep your ipad once at school? if its your bag, i guess you can start keeping it in there as soon you leave.

colmaclean
Mar 3, 2011, 11:40 AM
Given the choice between a roof and a pair of curtains, I'll take the roof every time.

fishcube
Mar 3, 2011, 11:41 AM
I know I will be buying the smart cover and than placing it with Ipad attached into a zipped case. That way screen is protected and so it back.

wingnut8
Mar 3, 2011, 11:41 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The reason they did it is to not cover the back camera with the case and then the flap as well.

deeddawg
Mar 3, 2011, 11:42 AM
You call it a "Smart Case", but it's not. A "case" implies a full envelope around the device. This is just a flap-like cover, which doesn't hold the iPad inside or protect the back and side edges of the iPad. It's really kind of cheap and cheesy, when you think about it.

Probably why Apple calls it a Smart Cover, not a Smart Case.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/smart-cover/

patp
Mar 3, 2011, 11:43 AM
my apple case pretty much fell apart after 3 months of use. I hope if they do introduce a new case, they make it more durable.

I'm using a Macally case now and this is even worse (I know I Know.)

I like the idea of the smart cover with a see thru skin for the back.

deadwalrus
Mar 3, 2011, 11:48 AM
But with a full case everyone can't see that you are sporting an iPad, rather than a book, or a Xoom, etc. Good marketing.

iMJustAGuy
Mar 3, 2011, 12:05 PM
When i travel, i have a bag that i stick it in so thats not a problem. I also use the dock so the old case didn't work with that either. Where do you keep your ipad once at school? if its your bag, i guess you can start keeping it in there as soon you leave.

I only carry a single class' book(s) and 1 binder to each class and leave the other class' stuff in the car. Binder, book, iPad stacked and carried under my hand. This is why I loved the old case rather than this new cover.

iPhoneCollector
Mar 4, 2011, 02:52 PM
This is a really nice thread and i hope it will gain popularity. I personally don't know what i should think about the new case i.e wether it slipes off the ipad or something. I'm using the apple case on my ipad at the moment and i'm more than happy. People call the apple case bad and low-quality but it really isn't. The new cover is a nice gimmic but it's not as functional as the original. By the way am i the anly one who thinks that the ipad may fall when kept in upright position with the new cover?

melman101
Mar 4, 2011, 05:52 PM
You know, whoever said they were going to get a sleeve too, that's genius! I'll buy a smart cover and the sleeve and bam, I should be good to go. :-)

Damn, this thing is gonna cost me like $1000 bucks by the time everything is said and done :-).

melman101
Mar 4, 2011, 05:54 PM
my apple case pretty much fell apart after 3 months of use. I hope if they do introduce a new case, they make it more durable.

I'm using a Macally case now and this is even worse (I know I Know.)

I like the idea of the smart cover with a see thru skin for the back.

How did that even happen? iPad case since day 1 and it's holding up so well, I can't even describe it. Seriously.

Knowimagination
Mar 4, 2011, 06:00 PM
I had the old case with my original iPad and it got dirty all the time and made the thing feel cheap. I only used it for a couple months before I went back to naked.

This new smart cover looks pretty cool but I would rather have the leather version and I am not sure I can justify the $70 for one until I get my hands on it.

alex2792
Mar 4, 2011, 06:15 PM
I had the Apple case on my iPad and I thought it was overpriced junk. The material was a dust magnet and the stand would oftentimes fold if any pressure was applied to the iPad.

snow blind
Mar 4, 2011, 06:17 PM
I LOVED the Apple case on my first gen! Id kill for the same design in their new leather for the 2!!! But then it would probably cost $100... id still buy it :D

freddy425
Mar 4, 2011, 06:28 PM
I think I'm gonna grab the Smart Cover, I like and like that it folds flat back so that will give it a little more grip when holding it and don't have to take it off every time, I was worried about this at first but the videos on other sites shows how it folds all the way back.

I'll probably get a zagg invisible shield or something for the back but not totally sure on that one..and then definitely getting the incase travel kit to carry everything at once, since the iPad2 is thinner it should fit perfect with the incase travel kits pouch for the iPad with the smart cover on..

thats just my plan

miamialley
Mar 4, 2011, 06:41 PM
I haven't owned an iPad yet, but I think I'd prefer naked with a condom [sleeve].

Beccad
Mar 4, 2011, 06:51 PM
I have the original iPad case and I do like it. My iPad feels secure to hold with that case, it doesn't add much bulk, and I can easily prop it to read in bed or to watch a video. To go back and forth to work, I just put the iPad in the case in my tote. But for travel, I use a Grantwood simple sleeve -- the iPad, case and all, fits right in.

However, as another poster commented, it shows dirt like crazy. I've found that it cleans up with a damp magic sponge but I wish the material didn't attract all kinds of dirt. Another con is that it hides what an awesome looking pieces of equipment the iPad really is. Overall, I give the case 3 stars.

About the Apple cover for the new iPad. When I first watched the demo, I was ready to forget my resolve to wait for iPad 3 to upgrade -- I thought the concept was awesome. However, in thinking it through, I'm concerned that there is a potential for the cover to come open and allow the iPad to power on and drain the battery. Plus, I really would like to see how the case goes over after the case starts getting use. And see how securely the iPad 2 can be gripped without a case.

I'm wondering if the Smart Cover plus a sleeve would be the perfect combination.... Though I will probably never find out for myself because I am NOT upgrading to iPad 2. (trying hard to convince myself) I am NOT upgrading to iPad 2. I am NOT upgrading to iPad 2.

Blakjack
Mar 4, 2011, 06:54 PM
Again.......Apple could have just made the new version of the Apple case that did the same thing as the cover.

This just proves to me that Apple is encouraging consumers to keep the back of the iPad visible. It's free advertising every time someone is sitting on apart bench reading the newspaper on their iPad or in a cafe drinking a cup of coffee.

That apple on the back of their products is very powerful and speaks for itself. Notice that the iphone bumper keeps the back of the iphone visible. Don't think apple will ever make a case again.

The back is their bread and butter.

M87
Mar 4, 2011, 06:56 PM
I hated the old case. It got really gross and looked ugly.

ovrlrd
Mar 4, 2011, 07:00 PM
The smart cover is dumb, it's a great demo but has no practicality. You can't fold it over the back for "temporary storage" while you use the iPad, and even if you could it looks uncomfortable to hold the iPad by the magnetic hinge anyway because of the thickness of it.

So basically there are only a couple of uses for the cover:

It protects the screen when not in use, and allows for a quicker wake up time (no need to slide your finger on screen).
Nice portable stand when you need it, but it can still be knocked over if you aren't careful when standing up vertically. Not as easily as the old case at least.
You can't really use it in vertical orientation while it's still attached because the cover gets in the way. So you are stuck with horizontal while it is still attached.

So in summary, if you find yourself needing a stand a lot, then the cover is great. If you want full protection, then the smart cover won't work. If you want vertical orientation use, the cover will get in the way and force you to remove it.

On the plus side, removing it is easy, but it sucks having this thing detached that you basically have to put on your table/lap when using your iPad in anything but horizontal orientation.

I suspect people who play games on their iPad are gonna hate the cover the most. People who only use apps that work in any orientation are gonna be fine as long as they don't mind being limited to horizontal most of the time.

Personally I am just gonna stick to using the iPad without a cover or case, and use a sleeve to protect it when it's not in use. Oh and there is still the question of if the smart cover will lead to scratches due to the magnetic hinge rubbing up against the side of the iPad.

DDustiNN
Mar 4, 2011, 07:02 PM
I think I'm gonna grab the Smart Cover, I like and like that it folds flat back so that will give it a little more grip when holding it and don't have to take it off every time, I was worried about this at first but the videos on other sites shows how it folds all the way back.

I'll probably get a zagg invisible shield or something for the back but not totally sure on that one..and then definitely getting the incase travel kit to carry everything at once, since the iPad2 is thinner it should fit perfect with the incase travel kits pouch for the iPad with the smart cover on..

thats just my plan

Where have you seen this? That is one of my two big complaints about the Smart Cover, and I've watched a ton of videos but all they ever demonstrate is the typing stand and the movie stand - the two positions I use the very least with my iPad. How do I hold it the most often? With the case completely open and folded behind the iPad - yet I can't find any mention of this functionality with the Smart Cover. I like being able to open it up completely, and not have to worry about having an additional item to set down (such as if you must remove the Smart Cover - where am I going to put it??). That was the #1 reason I didn't get the Zagg Keyboard - I didn't want an extra item to worry about when I just wanted to use my iPad regularly.

The other big complaint I have is the same as everyone else - no back protection. I use the Apple Case, and didn't like it at first but now I think it's perfect. I like that it's grippy, so I don't have to worry about it slipping out of my hands when I take it to class to take notes. I also like that I can clip a stylus on the outer edge of it, which I use for note-taking. I can set it on my lap when I'm traveling, and not worry about it slipping off. I can throw it in my center armrest on my couch, along with all of my TV and video game remotes, and not worry about any damage.

So, basically... Everything I do the most with my iPad (physically, I mean) is completely eliminated by the Smart Cover.

Sadly, this new cover could be the single reason that I don't buy the iPad 2. I really like the Apple Case and wish they would redesign it for the iPad 2.

asleep
Mar 4, 2011, 07:03 PM
If it gets warm, I want a real case.

DDustiNN
Mar 4, 2011, 07:04 PM
Also, I will point out for the people who complain about the old Apple Case getting dirty... it is ridiculously easy to clean. Just a wet cloth will wipe away any marks, and it dries very fast.

Loves2spoon
Mar 4, 2011, 07:08 PM
The 1st apple case is my favorite out of all the ones I tried, but the damn thing won't come clean!

I've tried soap and water, alcohol... Bring on the new smart cover please!

phonk
Mar 4, 2011, 07:08 PM
Bought the old one... hate it. I liked that you can use it as a stand. But it looks and feels so bad. Used my iPad naked since day 1 and while it looks slightly used (tiny scratches on the apple logo) the aluminum is perfectly fine.
So the new one is just perfect.

ovrlrd
Mar 4, 2011, 07:10 PM
Also, I will point out for the people who complain about the old Apple Case getting dirty... it is ridiculously easy to clean. Just a wet cloth will wipe away any marks, and it dries very fast.

It can stain though if you aren't careful. There are some marks that can't be removed.

Meanwhile the aluminum and glass on the iPad is extremely difficult to stain and cleans very quickly with a cloth without the need for water. I just carry a microfiber cloth in the sleeve that I carry the iPad in, 5 seconds of wiping it down and it looks like brand new. Takes longer than 5 seconds to clean the Apple case, and it requires water. Only downside is that it's easier to scratch the iPad without the case on it.

v66jack
Mar 4, 2011, 07:10 PM
Again.......Apple could have just made the new version of the Apple case that did the same thing as the cover.

This just proves to me that Apple is encouraging consumers to keep the back of the iPad visible. It's free advertising every time someone is sitting on apart bench reading the newspaper on their iPad or in a cafe drinking a cup of coffee.

That apple on the back of their products is very powerful and speaks for itself. Notice that the iphone bumper keeps the back of the iphone visible. Don't think apple will ever make a case again.

The back is their bread and butter.

You are spot on with this. Apple should have stuck their logo on the inside of the case, so when you bend the cover around the back, you still see their logo.

As for smart cover, i quite like it, never been a big fan of cases but have noticed there are a couple of scratches on the front of my iPad now, which im a bit annoyed about. Lesson learnt.

freddy425
Mar 4, 2011, 07:58 PM
Where have you seen this? That is one of my two big complaints about the Smart Cover, and I've watched a ton of videos but all they ever demonstrate is the typing stand and the movie stand - the two positions I use the very least with my iPad. How do I hold it the most often? With the case completely open and folded behind the iPad - yet I can't find any mention of this functionality with the Smart Cover. I like being able to open it up completely, and not have to worry about having an additional item to set down (such as if you must remove the Smart Cover - where am I going to put it??). That was the #1 reason I didn't get the Zagg Keyboard - I didn't want an extra item to worry about when I just wanted to use my iPad regularly.

The other big complaint I have is the same as everyone else - no back protection. I use the Apple Case, and didn't like it at first but now I think it's perfect. I like that it's grippy, so I don't have to worry about it slipping out of my hands when I take it to class to take notes. I also like that I can clip a stylus on the outer edge of it, which I use for note-taking. I can set it on my lap when I'm traveling, and not worry about it slipping off. I can throw it in my center armrest on my couch, along with all of my TV and video game remotes, and not worry about any damage.

So, basically... Everything I do the most with my iPad (physically, I mean) is completely eliminated by the Smart Cover.

Sadly, this new cover could be the single reason that I don't buy the iPad 2. I really like the Apple Case and wish they would redesign it for the iPad 2.

First video on the site, you can see the iPad laying flat and can barely see the Smart Cover on the iPad, then you see her lift it up and fold it all around

http://uk.gizmodo.com/5774670/ipad-2-hands-on-it-really-is-different

also, see this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1107118

maflynn
Mar 4, 2011, 08:05 PM
From a design perspective the smart cover is really elegant. From a visual perspective. I kind of the it looks ugly. I really do not like the look of it.

I prefer the old apple iPad case that my iPad 1 has.

DaGreat01
Mar 4, 2011, 08:16 PM
Think about all the cutouts a case like the original one would have. Ipad 2 basically only has 2 sides, a front and a back.

You would need a hole for:
-Headphone jack
-Camera
-Mic (that is not next the the jack anymore)
-Volume control
-Switch
-Dock
-Speakers

That is going to look tacky no matter who makes the case. Interested to see how case makers make that work.

Plus, with the smart case, you can have it in landscape without covering the camera.

ovrlrd
Mar 4, 2011, 08:38 PM
Found another video of what Smart Cover flipping to the back. Honestly I am warming up to this thing a bit more, but I still can't see myself using it much.

http://venturebeat.com/2011/03/02/a-first-look-at-the-ipad-2-up-close-and-personal-video/

spinedoc77
Mar 4, 2011, 08:40 PM
The issue I see is scratching the back. With my apple case I could literally throw around my ipad and it stayed pristine. Not only scratch protection but also it provided some cushioning. The whole appeal, at least to me, of the ipad is incredible portability. Plus with the apple case I was very confident holding it in one hand and moving around, if it was naked it would slip right out of my fingers.

+1 hoping for apple to remake the original case for the thinner ipad2.

freddy425
Mar 4, 2011, 09:01 PM
Found another video of what Smart Cover flipping to the back. Honestly I am warming up to this thing a bit more, but I still can't see myself using it much.

http://venturebeat.com/2011/03/02/a-first-look-at-the-ipad-2-up-close-and-personal-video/

Nice find..this really shows the case flipping to the back during use and how much it stays with the magnets

Pipper99
Mar 4, 2011, 09:03 PM

Ha! I feel the same way.

I got the Apple case when I got my iPad last year, and I hated that case. It got dirty and smudgy fast, it was uncomfortable for me to hold, the border around the bezel made cleaning the screen difficult (I was just pushing dirt around on the screen instead of off the edge). I know that it works well for lots of others, though. My favorite current case is the Incase Convertible Magazine Jacket.

I think that the new smart cover is what I've been wanting for an iPad.

saving107
Mar 4, 2011, 09:07 PM
Ha! I feel the same way.

I got the Apple case when I got my iPad last year, and I hated that case. It got dirty and smudgy fast, it was uncomfortable for me to hold, the border around the bezel made cleaning the screen difficult (I was just pushing dirt around on the screen instead of off the edge). I know that it works well for lots of others, though. My favorite current case is the Incase Convertible Magazine Jacket.

I think that the new smart cover is what I've been wanting for an iPad.

I had the Apple case as well and I would only use it when I traveled, but I am the kind of person that hates cases, so this seems like a better alternative to just protect the screen when I travel and to prop it up for when I FaceTime, other than that it will go unused.

I like its simplicity of snapping on, snapping off.

johnnymg
Mar 4, 2011, 09:35 PM
This new case isn't really a "case". It would more precisely be identified as a display cover. Looks sort of trick but it does leave the ipad more vulnerable. I'm guessing a second-skin type soft case would be needed in addition to this cover.

cheers
JohnG

DDustiNN
Mar 4, 2011, 11:30 PM
First video on the site, you can see the iPad laying flat and can barely see the Smart Cover on the iPad, then you see her lift it up and fold it all around

http://uk.gizmodo.com/5774670/ipad-2-hands-on-it-really-is-different

also, see this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1107118

Thank you for posting that - that's exactly what I wanted to see.

So now my only concern is the unprotected (and slippery) back of the iPad 2.

DDustiNN
Mar 4, 2011, 11:59 PM
So apparently, this iPad Smart Cover is pretty similar to some bathtub covers used in Japan...

http://www.core77.com/blog/object_culture/apples_new_ipad2_lid_design_causes_a_bit_of_a_stir_in_japan_18682.asp

Hilarious, haha.

iMattcotv
Mar 5, 2011, 12:47 AM
So apparently, this iPad Smart Cover is pretty similar to some bathtub covers used in Japan...

http://www.core77.com/blog/object_culture/apples_new_ipad2_lid_design_causes_a_bit_of_a_stir_in_japan_18682.asp

Hilarious, haha.

I wish they would make a more refined / thin but strong Apple Case (Original Apple iPad 1 case)

-_-

I loved that case to death, and I want it so bad for my new iPad 2

DDustiNN
Mar 5, 2011, 12:49 AM
I wish they would make a more refined / thin but strong Apple Case (Original Apple iPad 1 case)

-_-

I loved that case to death, and I want it so bad for my new iPad 2

Agreed. I honestly think the Smart Cover is a bit... ugly. All of the regular colors are terrible, and there's no way I'd spend $70 just to have a black one.

richardmu
Mar 5, 2011, 04:35 AM
Thanks everyone. Great thread.
I agree with the OP 100%.

wingnut8
Mar 5, 2011, 04:47 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

http://www.hardcandycases.com/candy-convertible-apple-ipad-2-case.html

Lady Arwen
Mar 5, 2011, 05:04 AM
I'm torn about the cover. If I had limitless money, I would get an iPad sleeve that would protect my iPad well and a smart cover. However, I'm a high school student, and next year, I'll be a college student. I'm planning on carrying my iPad between classes. I'll keep it in my purse, but I still need more protection than just a smart cover. Because of the cost of the smart cover and the sleeve together, I'll have to not get either and get a more cost effective case.

DDustiNN
Mar 6, 2011, 04:53 AM

http://www.hardcandycases.com/candy-convertible-apple-ipad-2-case.html

That is almost perfect! However, the one thing that is missing is a deal-breaker for me... It doesn't appear to have a hole for the mic (which is now located in the center of the top edge on the iPad 2). One of the main purposes I use my iPad for is note-taking in class, including audio recording during the lectures. With the mic covered up, I fear this case would be useless to me...

Also, I still really like the material of the original Apple Case... :(

JForestZ34
Mar 6, 2011, 09:07 AM
I'm going to give the smart cover a shot.. I'm sure there is some kind of felt where the hinge is where it attaches to the ipad.. That way it won't scratch... Beside that I might just get a incase, throw it in that and then put it in my laptop bag... That way I have double protection...

Damn this is going to be an expensive week.. :(

2 ipads, 2 smart cover's, 2 incases, and 2 apple care.. WOW

James

OneMike
Mar 6, 2011, 09:20 AM
I liked the old case. However, that thing was a lint / dust magnet.

Hope that is changed with the new case.

makefunnyfaces
Mar 6, 2011, 09:22 AM
The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of protection on the back, but I'll still buy it. If I don't like it I'll put it back in the box & sell it with my iPad 2 when the iPad 3 comes out. ;)

I never owned the original case. I decided to wait on getting the case after I bought the iPad, so I never got around to it. I ended up using the InCase Jacket.

rovex
Mar 6, 2011, 09:39 AM
You have to understand OP, Apple were very clever in making this Smart cover only covering the screen and not the back. Why? Because when the IPad 3 comes out, Apple will then market the 'new' smart cover which protects the aluminium as well as the screen. You can bank on it. It just makes it easier for them to not come up with a completely new concept by just adding the cover for the back too.

As of now, the cover is just a novelty, something that doesn't protect the whole device is worthless.

Need I add that the aluminium apple claims to be "very durable" is in fact far from it. I take good care of my iPad and it's full of scratches, dents and chips on the rim. Just by wear and tear but I dont have a case for it but it just goes to show the aluminium is not adequate.

Sodner
Mar 6, 2011, 09:48 AM
I used the original iPad case but I really did not like it. It looked and felt pretty cheap to me. Not very "Apple" at all. Sure it protected it front and back, but I felt in doing so it hid the beautiful design. I kept wanting a screen protector but having struggled to get them on a tiny phone screen without fuzz or air bubbles I felt it was impossible to do it on a screen the size of the iPad.

So I am extremely happy and impressed with the smart cover. I will need to see how it functions, like does it stay put or slide off easily. But my initial reaction is that I love the cover and I applaud Apple for coming up with something so ingenious.

JohnnyQuest
Mar 6, 2011, 09:48 AM
I detest the Apple Cover for the original iPad. it gets dirty so easily, doesn't have good cutouts, and made the iPad a lot bulkier and uglier.

I can already tell I prefer the Smart Cover. It's just must simpler.

nwlondonlad
Mar 6, 2011, 09:49 AM
I'm a fan of the original Apple iPad case and like the original poster I have had it in there from day 1. I doubt Apple will release another case like this for the iPad 2. When you watch the keynotes it's like Steve Jobs was almost saying that they got it wrong the first time with the original cover and hence the reason for this redesigned flap cover for the iPad 2

Further more if I'm not mistaken Apple only officially released one case for the the iPad 1 and all others were made by 3rd parties. I'm sure the same will go for the iPad 2

MacRumorUser
Mar 6, 2011, 10:24 AM
The only thing I hate about the current ipad cover is how grubby it looks after 10 minutes of fitting it to your ipad. It's a dirt magnet, worse than any other case I've seen.

miamialley
Mar 6, 2011, 10:34 AM

The reason they did it is to not cover the back camera with the case and then the flap as well.

Easily remedied by cutting holes for the camera(s) just as they did with the iPhone. So, I'd say that's not the reason.

Roessnakhan
Mar 6, 2011, 10:36 AM
Easily remedied by cutting holes for the camera(s) just as they did with the iPhone. So, I'd say that's not the reason.

You mean other case makers, Apple only made the bumper for the iPhone 4 - which I suppose explains the Smart Cover in its minimalism, and I could see Apple not liking the aesthetics of a case full of holes. I still prefer the original iPad case, however.

iWant iPad2
Mar 6, 2011, 10:49 AM
I love the iPad and have used it in the apple case, but for the iPad 2 i was thinking i could just slide it in, but with it being thiner it most likely wont be as snug, so there for i will be buying the smart cover (black) with my iPad2 16gb wifi (black, but i think apple should really design a product for the iPad2 that protects the back as well, but i also understand with having the rear camera u might not want a case like the original apple case because you would have to take out your iPad2 to use it.

Spectrum
Mar 6, 2011, 02:59 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_7; en) AppleWebKit/530.19.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.2 Safari/530.19.2)

I also LOVE the original Apple case. I had one week with the iPad before the case arrived and I thought the machien was rubbish. Utterly terrible ergonomics. Just slightly too wide to grasp round the back with one hand vertically (like a phone) and just slightly too heavy to hold comfortably by squeezing in one hand at the side.

The Apple case changed EVERYTHING. Grippy and tactile, robust, useful positions, yet still incredibky minimal, thin and light. I also relly love the material (which in my experience is very easy to clean with a damp cloth). I actually love the edges too. They provide a little bumper area for small drops, and I am pretty happy to throw the ipad around wihtou a care in the world. It goes in my rucksack with no other cover and I have only taken it out of the cover 2-3 times in nearly a year of use. It still looks as good as new.

I use the iPad case to hold it in so many ways. Sometime I slot my fingers into the pouch behind the ipad, or carry i closed using the tab as a mini handle.

I also use the the slim space in the case to carry the occasional important document - like a passport or boarding card for example.

To me, new case lose a lot of the functionality, but I am sad to say that I am sure it will sell like hot cakes and the old iPad case will never rear its head again. Tempted to buy another old case just in case I by an iPad2. I am sure it will fit well enough, and a hole can easily be punched out for the camera if I really need it (doubt I will ever use the camera). Are the rest of the ports in the same place though?

myoldwatermill
Mar 6, 2011, 03:05 PM
I love my ipad naked, too beautiful to cover with a case.

Smart Covers gives me the best of both worlds. Added functionality without giving up the pretty design.

And, no. I don't use the iPad in bed anymore then I use it on the train, the car, at school, the library, the coffee shop.

In fact, I use it more outside the home, than I do inside the home.

Dr Kevorkian94
The only problem with the smart cover is the bottom where the iPads back side touches like the table, that will get scratched.

Erkenntnis
I completely agreed with Steve Jobs when he gave the rationale for the Smart Covers, namely that the devices themselves look great and shouldn't be covered up. I prefer using my devices "naked," if you like.

Naturally, I worry about scuffs and scratches. My old iPod touch (1st gen) has a really scuffed-up back. That being said, such scuffs never happened to my iPad 1, even though I used it naked a lot.

My thought is that if I lay it down with the Smart Cover on, I should lay it down with the screen facing down, instead of on the naked aluminum back of the iPad.

Rigby
Mar 6, 2011, 03:30 PM

http://www.hardcandycases.com/candy-convertible-apple-ipad-2-case.htmlThanks, this looks perfect! I think I will order one. Or does anybody know any other 3rd party case that is as similar as possible to the original iPad 1 case from Apple (which IMO is almost perfect except for its tendency to attract dust)?

I think the Smart Cover is, uhm, smart, but not protective enough so I would always feel like I have to handle the iPad like a raw egg. Can you imagine stuffing it into the seat pocket on a plane with just the flimsy cover? :eek: ;)

CristobalHuet
Mar 6, 2011, 03:32 PM
The old Apple iPad case was a joke beyond a joke. Hated that thing with a passion, and I am disgusted Apple would release such a piece of crap product.

v66jack
Mar 6, 2011, 03:46 PM
I completely agreed with Steve Jobs when he gave the rationale for the Smart Covers, namely that the devices themselves look great and shouldn't be covered up. I prefer using my devices "naked," if you like.

Also from a marketing point of view, Apple will want people to see other people using iPads. When Apple cover up all the sides and the back with their old cover you just look like your carrying around any other tablet. Which doesn't keep reminding people without iPad's how much they also want an iPad.

Erkenntnis
Mar 6, 2011, 03:49 PM
Also from a marketing point of view, Apple will want people to see other people using iPads. When Apple cover up all the sides and the back with their old cover you just look like your carrying around any other tablet. Which doesn't keep reminding people without iPad's how much they also want an iPad.

Yeah, that is probably true. Clever of them.

Still, if you have a Smart Cover, you can carry it around with the aluminum backside facing inward (i.e., with the black plastic Apple WiFi window facing toward your body), and then you won't function as a walking iPad advertisement.

SuperCachetes
Mar 6, 2011, 03:53 PM
I'll reserve judgement until I lay my hands on one, but I'm thinking I liked the first case better, too. The new cover looks flimsy, as if it could be jarred open or off pretty easily.

Anyway, I don't know that magnets should ever be the answer for electronic devices, especially personal ones likely to be thrown in bags with wallets (credit cards), USB drives, other phones, etc...

Mystikal
Mar 6, 2011, 04:06 PM
While the smart cover is...smart, I don't like it. I would much rather have a full body case that folded into a stand.

Saberj
Mar 6, 2011, 04:34 PM
Not a fan of aluminum, and thus I'm not a fan of the smart covers. Aluminum scratches/dings/dents really easily, stays cold, is slippery, and it's doesn't even look that great, IMO. If they covered that up, or had a different material, it would be a different story. But as it is, I'm not interested in the minimalist approach to cases.

babydinosaur
Mar 6, 2011, 04:45 PM
I prefer the old Apple iPad case, which is why I was really happy I found an equivalent case at Brookstone today. And it has a Bluetooth keyboard and cutout for the iPad 2's front camera.

This is it: http://www.brookstone.com/bluetooth-keyboard-portfolio-for-iPad-tablet-accessory.html (Note: Site requires Flash :rolleyes:)

For some reason the pictures are a bit weird because it DOES have a cutout on the front for the forward-facing camera, even though it doesn't seem to show it in the pictures or on the box. I saw the case in person when I went to Brookstone at the mall so bought one to make sure, otherwise I was going to return it. If you have a Brookstone (mine is located conveniently right next to the Apple store) check it out!

So far I really like it. The nice part is it has a "home" button. I put my iPad in it and it seems to work really well. My only gripe is it doesn't have a right shift key :confused:

Can't wait to get my iPad 2 to put in it :)

iserian
Mar 6, 2011, 04:58 PM
Long live the OEM Ipad #1 Case. Liked it from the very beginning - Loved it from the 2nd day until Today. All of my Ipad's wear the OEM case and while its nature to get dirty could be improved it does/did 100% of what I want a case to do. I will be lost w/out it on the Pad #2 - as the OP said - I also hope Apple will mod the OEM to work. Just got a xoom and I was looking for a Ipad OEM style case -- and sure enough they have one that (albeit better and more sturdy materials) fits the bill.

I like many will end up buying the magneto case because that's all that is available. I predict that the sell through ratio will be through the roof.

hitekalex
Mar 6, 2011, 05:15 PM
Personally, I hate full-on cases (such as the original Apple's case). They add too much bulk, generally look ugly, and (as been said many times before) ruin the device design. This is especially true for an iPad 2 - putting such a beautifully designed device in a full-body case is an abomination.

Apple's latest Smart Cover is largely useless. The screen is the most durable and least scratchable part of the iPad.. The screen doesn't need "protection" like the aluminum back does. In most situations, you place iPad down on hard surface face up.. so what you want protected is the back and not the screen. Screen Cover is a nice design approach, but just not very useful.

What I prefer to both of the above is the skin style back covers. They don't ruin the design, don't add bulk, leave all the ports/cameras fully exposed.. and at the same time protect the most vulnerable part of the iPad (aluminum back) from scratches.

SGP makes very nice back skins, like this (http://www.sgpstore.com/laptop/apple/ipad/sgp-ipad-3g-wifi-skin-guard-set-series.html) one. I have used one on my iPad-1 since day one, and it's still in like-new physical shape. So I am planning to stick to the same for iPad-2.

zea mays
Mar 6, 2011, 05:20 PM
I really like the original iPad case. It's the slimmest most functional case I found. It also was the least expensive of the ones that did interest me. I'm intrigued by the Smart Cover. I thought the iPhone 4 bumpers were interesting from the beginning too. Still love my bumpers. I'll give the Smart Covers a chance.

engelke2010
Mar 6, 2011, 07:18 PM
I totally hated the original Apple iPad case. I regret buying it and it was a waste of $40 for me. It got dirty very easily and therefore didn't stay clean long. I ended up getting the Origami case from Incase and I have loved it since getting it. It protects the whole thing, not just the front, but when I want to use my iPad, I use it naked because it's a sleeve. When I want to use it on a desk or table, I move it into a triangle and it has little slots on the bottom of the triangle to hold the iPad. I hope when I do sell the iPad that they don't want the case, but if they do I'll get another one if the iPad 2 fits in it.

aplqna
Mar 6, 2011, 08:22 PM

Not really- it's not like you can use the rear camera while the screen is still covered with the Smart Cover...

PCClone
Mar 6, 2011, 10:24 PM
Haven't seen this posted yet. Seems to me that you could have problems because the microfiber side of the smart cover is the outside. If you get a little grit or dirt on it from say a kitchen counter won't that scratch the screen when you flip it back on?

jeff_siler
Mar 6, 2011, 10:55 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Loved the original oem iPad case. I wish there was a version for the iPad 2.

gatech2
Mar 9, 2011, 11:57 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Loved the original oem iPad case. I wish there was a version for the iPad 2.

Me too.
Seems kind of lame they missed the stamped Apple logo on the smart cover.

nixiemaiden
Mar 9, 2011, 09:50 PM
My favorite iPad 1 case has been the Chinao and a lot of people say it is similar to the original apple case. I googled to see if theybwere making iPad 2 case and it looks like they are.

http://*******.com/CHINAO-Slim-Leather-Case-for-Apple-iPad-2-CHINAOPPUIPAD2.htm

I am not getting an iPad 2 for another month or so because I don't want one without a full case and I want to read some reviews on them first and my iPad 1 is ok...but I will probably get the Chinao if everything lines up properly.

jeff_siler
Mar 9, 2011, 10:12 PM
My favorite iPad 1 case has been the Chinao and a lot of people say it is similar to the original apple case. I googled to see if theybwere making iPad 2 case and it looks like they are.

http://*******.com/CHINAO-Slim-Leather-Case-for-Apple-iPad-2-CHINAOPPUIPAD2.htm

I am not getting an iPad 2 for another month or so because I don't want one without a full case and I want to read some reviews on them first and my iPad 1 is ok...but I will probably get the Chinao if everything lines up properly.

That chinao looks different that the original. It has a textured look with holes everywhere. I need more pics to decide if I want the new one. I loved the chinao 1.

Seamaster
Mar 10, 2011, 08:22 AM
Yoobao make the best dead-straight clone of the Apple case. There are a couple of threads on here about it.

gatech2
Mar 10, 2011, 10:33 AM
Thanks for suggestions above .. Checked
these cases out and like both very well.
Good reviews on youtube to get a better look.

nixiemaiden
Mar 10, 2011, 11:36 AM

You are forgetting that no matter what tablet you have, be it Motorola Xoom, Samsung Galaxy whatever....people will ask you "Hey, is that the iPad?"

I had someone ask me if my KINDLE was an iPad.

Pared
Mar 10, 2011, 01:47 PM
I really dislike the "smart" cover.

Here's to hoping we see an Apple Case for the iPad2... or preferably, iPad3.

jeff_siler
Mar 10, 2011, 04:35 PM
I'm going with a moleskin case this time instead of the smart cover or copy of the ipad 1 case. I just pre-ordered a portenzo.

amazonpam
Mar 11, 2011, 12:41 AM
Yoobao make the best dead-straight clone of the Apple case. There are a couple of threads on here about it.

Amazon.com has a Yoobao case for the iPad 2, coming out on March 25. It's the leather clone verion of the original ipad case.

jeff_siler
Mar 11, 2011, 01:29 AM
Amazon.com has a Yoobao case for the iPad 2, coming out on March 25. It's the leather clone verion of the original ipad case.

Got a link for this version?

h00ligan
Mar 12, 2011, 05:01 PM
You know, whoever said they were going to get a sleeve too, that's genius! I'll buy a smart cover and the sleeve and bam, I should be good to go. :-)

Damn, this thing is gonna cost me like $1000 bucks by the time everything is said and done :-).

Kinda makes you wonder if a MacBook air at 999 is the better buy :)

h00ligan
Mar 12, 2011, 05:02 PM

They were already selling one of these style at best buy, I think tarsus made it. 39.99 iirc

WilliamG
Mar 13, 2011, 05:21 AM
They were already selling one of these style at best buy, I think tarsus made it. 39.99 iirc

Griffin, and it's a piece of crap... See my remarks here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1114735

vikingdave
May 6, 2011, 01:20 PM
The strange thing to me about the new cover is that it covers the front, which is made out of an extremely strong scratch resistant material. I don't know anyone that has ever gotten a scratch on the front of their iPhone or iPad. I personally have been caring my iphone with a bare front since the original iPhone 1 came out without so much as a single scratch on the screen. So basically, the new cover protects the one area that is almost impossible to scratch. It just makes very little sense. It's a nice option to have for those that like it, but I really want a case more like the old one. The third-party ones fit very sloppily compared to the original iPad case from Apple which was awesome.

dalexa
May 6, 2011, 02:08 PM
From a design perspective the smart cover is really elegant.

that's the thing about design and what people think of it... design is about function and the smart cover as a design object fails big time.

having the interior of the cover in contact with the surfaces it's just a "look, you're going to scratch or get your screen dirty" kind of thing.

when i saw it for the first time i was saying to me... tell me that it folds in a way that the outer part is always the one in contact with the surfaces and then bammm... the video should me that in fact it wasn't.

that is a major design flaw.

(just for the record, i am a designer so i know what i'm saying)

Sodner
May 6, 2011, 02:14 PM
No way. The first iPad case was ugly and made of a material/fabric that looked horrible 5 minutes after its first use. One of the worst products Apple has ever released.

The smart cover is a ingenious device that works seamlessly with the iPad 2. Sure it only protects the screen, but that is all it was made to do, and it does so with style and adds functionality. It also lets the beautiful design on the iPad be visible.

All I do is slide it in a TIMBUK2 sleeve when traveling.

glen e
May 6, 2011, 02:18 PM
a black smartcover with a icarbon CF back is far better than the original case for me. The original got dirty and had no style a all. I still own an ipad with it. The two side by side make the original look like a antique. That's my "design" opinion.

nylamacgal
May 14, 2011, 10:07 PM
I have researched and inspected many ipad 2 cases, and none of them can compare to the original ipad case that they made. WHY WHY WHY have they not made one just like it for ipad 2? I hate the smart cover - every time you flip /fold it back the magnets detach it from the ipad. It also doesn't cover the back so it slips of my couch or bed easily. The more substantial cases that cover the back too are bulky or the holes don't quite line up.
By the way, the old case cleans up instantly with a wet ones wipe! Looks brand new in seconds - really!
Please Apple, make the old case for ipad 2 and just add the magnet on/off feature to the front flap.
There is a huge market for this classic case. Forget the smart case and GET smart - make the old case for the new ipad!!!

Annerz
May 14, 2011, 10:09 PM
I definitley prefer the old cases. I don't like the smartcover at all.

CAWjr
May 15, 2011, 12:57 AM
I like the design of the old case, but all of the 3rd party ones I have tried are either too bulky or had some other issue. I was really opposed to the smartcover, mainly because of the price. However, my wife wanted one for Mother's day & I have to admit that it is not that bad. I still cringe at the ridiculously high price of it, but I think I may sell the covers I have & end up getting one.

Tobster3
May 15, 2011, 06:25 PM
If everyone who wants the original Apple iPad case for the iPad 2 sent feedback to Apple, they may just make it :D

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

BergerFan
May 16, 2011, 06:49 AM
The 1st apple case is my favorite out of all the ones I tried, but the damn thing won't come clean!

I've tried soap and water, alcohol... Bring on the new smart cover please!That's what I hated most about the old case. It got so dirty, and I could never get regular stains out, no matter what I used. Urgh.
The Smart Cover only requires a quick wipe with a damp cloth to clean the micro fibre lining.

3goldens
May 16, 2011, 10:46 AM
There are tons of good cases out there that are exactly like the original Apple case you guys, most of them really pretty similar, especially the one from 800deals for about $20 bucks.

Do a search here on the forum to find them.