Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jtut10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Nor Cal
Is anyone else having issues with their Netflix only working part time for them? I can login and use netflix from my XBox360, laptop or iPhone just fine, but my ATV2 just recently began giving me problems. I can rent movies/TV shows through iTunes no problem, so I know it is not a connection issue. I went through the login process multiple times as well as the worthless Netflix troubleshooting to no avail...

grawk

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
Southern York County, PA
Is anyone else having issues with their Netflix only working part time for them? I can login and use netflix from my XBox360, laptop or iPhone just fine, but my ATV2 just recently began giving me problems. I can rent movies/TV shows through iTunes no problem, so I know it is not a connection issue. I went through the login process multiple times as well as the worthless Netflix troubleshooting to no avail...

You don't happen to have a wifi router running DD-WRT do you? If so, manually set the dns on your appletv to 8.8.8.8

Jtut10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Nor Cal
You don't happen to have a wifi router running DD-WRT do you? If so, manually set the dns on your appletv to 8.8.8.8

Thanks! Ill have to give that a try, Its just strange it worked fine for a few months now up until last weekend.

rjbruce

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I've had similar issues with Netflix. Sometimes I get an error when trying to play content (which does launch from the PS3) and other times I turn on the Apple TV and Netflix is completely missing from the menu. I typically unplug the box and it fixes it, but it is rather annoying.

Just in the last two weeks or so I have noticed that my internet is dropping at the router, like it loses the negotiation. I think my router may be going, not sure if that would cause Netflix not to show up in the menu though.

I've heard of problems when using Googles DNS.

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/12/20/apple-tv-streaming-can-be-hindered-by-google-dns/

If you change it and it helps, then great, but I wouldn't leave it if there is no change since folks have reported problems, specifically when using Netflix.

Jtut10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Nor Cal
I've had similar issues with Netflix. Sometimes I get an error when trying to play content (which does launch from the PS3) and other times I turn on the Apple TV and Netflix is completely missing from the menu. I typically unplug the box and it fixes it, but it is rather annoying.

Just in the last two weeks or so I have noticed that my internet is dropping at the router, like it loses the negotiation. I think my router may be going, not sure if that would cause Netflix not to show up in the menu though.

I've heard of problems when using Googles DNS.

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/12/20/apple-tv-streaming-can-be-hindered-by-google-dns/

If you change it and it helps, then great, but I wouldn't leave it if there is no change since folks have reported problems, specifically when using Netflix.

Good article...I guess Im damned if I do, damned if I dont... maybe Ill just flip a coin and cross my fingers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.