PDA

View Full Version : iBook G3....Nuked?

stoid
Feb 16, 2005, 10:35 AM
I'm asking this question for my brother who is overseas right now.

He is primarily living in Taiwan, but recently had an opportunity to visit Vietnam. He said that he knows that there is some sort of voltage/electrical difference between the two nations, but was informed that his components would be compatible. His iBook worked perfectly for the duration of his stay in Vietnam, however, upon return to Taiwan it's gone screwy. He said that after he got back he had left it on overnight downloading the latest episode of 24 (something he's done before many times). The next day the screen flickered and went off. He had to hard restart the computer. It booted just fine, but after 15 minutes the screen flickered and went off again. After leaving it sit off the rest of the day and overnight, he was able to use it for about 4 hours before it flicked off again, and after hard restart only about 15 minutes. He said that it sounds like there is still action inside the laptop even after the screen is off, but the optical drive does not respond (non-slot loading). Unfortunately, he did not purchase Apple Care and is out of the original one year warranty. Any ideas what might be wrong (and if it can be fixed)?

Thanks a lot for your help, and sorry for the long explanation!

Solafaa
Feb 16, 2005, 12:29 PM
I dont think its the voltage, i have been traveling all over the world and have had no problems what so ever.

Bertymac
Feb 16, 2005, 12:48 PM
Hello there,

Please follow the link underneath and contact your Local Apple Service Provider to have your Logic Board and/or Inverter Board replaced

Thanks and Regards

http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/

dr bognus
Feb 16, 2005, 12:49 PM
I have had problems with this myself or something similar. When the computer screen blackens if you can make out and image using a torch or desk lamp (ok so it will be quite hard to see) it is likely that the backlight has messed up either that or it is the wire connecting the computer to the LCD display. I cannot explain any cd drive problems though.

me_94501
Feb 16, 2005, 11:20 PM
stoid,
That is absolutely, positively not a voltage problem. That is a fried logic board.

dr bognus,
Does your iBook screen dim at random times? Does the backlight only turn back on when you sleep it? If so, I have had this issue on more than one occasion. I have no idea what caused it, but it cleared itself up for me.

stoid
Feb 16, 2005, 11:29 PM
Thanks a MILLION for that link bertymac, I've forwarded that link to him. This sounds much better than alternatives problems since this can be fixed. I'll let you know if this turns out to be anything different. Thanks again.

ricebag
Feb 16, 2005, 11:48 PM
had the same problem, got the logic board replaced, now works fine (in that respect at least).

KC9AIC
Feb 17, 2005, 12:56 AM
I have had problems with this myself or something similar. When the computer screen blackens if you can make out and image using a torch or desk lamp (ok so it will be quite hard to see) it is likely that the backlight has messed up either that or it is the wire connecting the computer to the LCD display. I cannot explain any cd drive problems though.

The wire providing power to the backlight got damaged. It happened to my sister's iBook. If you're adventuresome, try Kodawarisan's DIY manual here. (http://www.kodawarisan.com/iBook/repair/index.html)