PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite Smart Cover color?

Doctor Q
Mar 3, 2011, 01:41 PM
Suppose you had an iPad 2 and were getting a free Smart Cover. Which material and color would you pick?

MacDawg
Mar 3, 2011, 01:46 PM
If I HAD to get one... black leather

But I am really not of fan of it
I will look for a 3rd party case more like the original

vincenz
Mar 3, 2011, 01:53 PM
Navy leather. Orange polyurethane for changing up.

rdowns
Mar 3, 2011, 03:03 PM
If I HAD to get one... black leather

But I am really not of fan of it
I will look for a 3rd party case more like the original

I thought you weren't upgrading. :D

MacDawg
Mar 3, 2011, 03:10 PM
I thought you weren't upgrading. :D

I'M NOT UPGRADING!!

But if I did...

:p

djransom
Mar 3, 2011, 03:21 PM
Polyurethane: Gray, but leather black is an option as well given that black is my favorite color.

Doctor Q
Mar 3, 2011, 04:06 PM
I'm undecided. I'm fine with polyurethane as the material but the polyurethane colors are a little too bright. Perhaps gray, since the other colors don't seem very sophisticated, and of course I expect people to judge my level of sophistication by the color of my iPad 2 cover.

rdowns
Mar 3, 2011, 04:08 PM
I'M NOT UPGRADING!!

But if I did...

:p

Lies. You said…I will look for a 3rd party case more like the original. Not would, will. :D

MacDawg
Mar 3, 2011, 04:12 PM
I'm undecided. I'm fine with polyurethane as the material but the polyurethane colors are a little too bright. Perhaps gray, since the other colors don't seem very sophisticated, and of course I expect people to judge my level of sophistication by the color of my iPad 2 cover.

I have already judged you based on the thread you started :p

xUKHCx
Mar 3, 2011, 04:14 PM
I voted black despite my favourite colour being grey. (There is a distinct lack of u's in the title :p).

The grey just looks a little too pale for my liking.

Doctor Q
Mar 3, 2011, 04:48 PM
There is a distinct lack of u's in the title :p
There are as many u's in the title as in your user name, which makes both sufficient. Of course in pure American English it would be "yer" instead of "your".

rdowns
Mar 3, 2011, 05:05 PM

I thought you were color blind. :confused:

Doctor Q
Mar 3, 2011, 05:25 PM
I thought you were color blind. :confused:
Yup, but that means I see colors inaccurately, not that I don't see colors. I tend to prefer blue or yellow better than green, orange, or red, since the former are colors I'm more likely to identify correctly.

Since I'm never sure of colors I looked at the words in the Apple Store to figure out what the color choices were called. Sometimes when I'm shopping online I look at image files names, like "jacket-navy.jpg", to be sure what the color is.

It appears that I'll have to pay more for leather, just to get a dark color. I'm also asking about this because I buy gifts for people and I wouldn't want to buy a cover for a family member if you guys say it's icky looking.

If you buy leather the four-footed polyurethanes in the pasture are probably relieved that they won't have to be skinned!

iBookG4user
Mar 3, 2011, 05:28 PM
I would go with polyurethane (boycotted leather a long time ago) in either blue or orange if I were to get the iPad. Although I'd probably get one of the other cases before I got the Smart Cover.

ajvizzgamer101
Mar 3, 2011, 05:45 PM
Leather ones are so damn expensive. Black for Leather and Blue for polyurethane.

Clix Pix
Mar 4, 2011, 08:44 PM
No-brainer for me: ORANGE all the way, baby!!!! :)

Loves2spoon
Mar 4, 2011, 08:49 PM
No-brainer for me: ORANGE all the way, baby!!!! :)

+1! I love orange. Mine never leaves the house so it won't be a magnet for theft... lol

M87
Mar 4, 2011, 08:49 PM
The white iPad and red cover look incredible together.

SchneiderMan
Mar 5, 2011, 01:15 AM
+1! I love orange. Mine never leaves the house so it won't be a magnet for theft... lol

Boy won't it suck if it actually gets stolen right from your house :D

pika2000
Mar 5, 2011, 03:40 PM
Leather navi is my fav (paired with the black iPad 2). But since I think the $69 price is ridiculous, I would probably get the green/orange polyurethane cover (and a white iPad 2 instead of black).

bob5820
Mar 5, 2011, 04:14 PM
Yup, but that means I see colors inaccurately, not that I don't see colors. I tend to prefer blue or yellow better than green, orange, or red, since the former are colors I'm more likely to identify correctly.

Since I'm never sure of colors I looked at the words in the Apple Store to figure out what the color choices were called. Sometimes when I'm shopping online I look at image files names, like "jacket-navy.jpg", to be sure what the color is.

It appears that I'll have to pay more for leather, just to get a dark color. I'm also asking about this because I buy gifts for people and I wouldn't want to buy a cover for a family member if you guys say it's icky looking.

If you buy leather the four-footed polyurethanes in the pasture are probably relieved that they won't have to be skinned!
I'm in pretty much the same boat. Color blindness usually does not mean an inability to see color at all, rather that certain shades of color are more difficult to distinguish than others. As an example I originally thought the navy leather was a dark grey. Once I saw it labeled as navy it was easier for me to see it as such.

Some 10 million American men—fully 7 percent of the male population—either cannot distinguish red from green, or see red and green differently from most people.
http://www.hhmi.org/senses/b130.html

I selected Navy-Leather in the poll, but am increasingly leaning towards black leather.

joltaxt
Mar 5, 2011, 05:09 PM
White + Red looks amazing to me. Going to be what I end up buying.

MacRumorUser
Mar 5, 2011, 05:12 PM
The leather cream..

Megagator
Mar 5, 2011, 10:56 PM
Polyurethane: Gray, but leather black is an option as well given that black is my favorite color.

You took the words out of my mouth...;)

nostaws
Mar 5, 2011, 11:03 PM
I wish there was a really rich dark brown leather Smart Cover option.

jacoder
Mar 5, 2011, 11:26 PM
Red

^_^

jbg232
Mar 6, 2011, 11:44 AM
What is unclear to me is how much of the underlying color of the ipad (white or black) can be seen below the smart cover - ie, will they all just look the same with a metal background or will you see the white/black?

CristobalHuet
Mar 6, 2011, 02:26 PM
Because I'm torn between black and white...

Black iPad -> black leather
White iPad -> cream leather

Doctor Q
Mar 6, 2011, 07:19 PM
Now that we have about 100 votes, I made a chart of the poll results so far. I tried to match the pie chart wedge colors to the Smart Cover colors by looking at the RGB values -- I hope I got it right.

Click for the full-size chart.

UltimaLaw
Mar 6, 2011, 09:45 PM
White on Black Leather
Black on Black Leather
Black on Red Leather
Black on Grey Poly

Thoughts? I can't decide!

zoman504
Mar 6, 2011, 10:22 PM
I'd love to pick up the red one to rep my Buckeyes, but $69 is pretty crazy, esp since I'm not even sure how much I like or will even use the smart cover. If I knew I loved it, I'd throw it down, but I'll probably get the the blue or grey for $39.

spillproof
Mar 6, 2011, 10:27 PM
Red or Navy Leather with both the white and black versions.

i0Nic
Mar 6, 2011, 10:46 PM
White iPad with the blue smart cover for me.

GadgetAddicted
Mar 7, 2011, 11:05 AM
I'm having trouble deciding between Black Leather or Orange Poly on my Black iPad. Black is sophisticated but cliche. Orange is trendy and my fav color; BUT doesn't LOOK the best with a black ipad w/ alu back. Maybe if it were a white iPad but I'm getting the black bezel. Thoughts?

JoJoCal19
Mar 7, 2011, 06:41 PM
I will be picking up the tan leather Smart Cover. I think the Black iPad with tan leather will look super classy. That tan leather reminds me of Ferrari leather.

Doctor Q
Mar 7, 2011, 06:55 PM
I think I'll know which one to get only after I see them in person.

tomandshell
Mar 7, 2011, 07:30 PM
It's disgusting that they didn't make a black poly option. You shouldn't have to pay $70 to get a color suitable for someone who is past puberty.

abooch1
Mar 7, 2011, 09:50 PM
So do we know yet if the smart cases will work if you have a back film protector on the ipad?

pika2000
Mar 8, 2011, 01:00 AM
It's disgusting that they didn't make a black poly option. You shouldn't have to pay $70 to get a color suitable for someone who is past puberty.
+1. At first I thought each color is available on either materials. I prefer the darker colors, but Apple, just being Apple, put all the darker colors as the more expensive leather. Oh typical :apple:

iDabble
Mar 8, 2011, 01:06 AM
+1. At first I thought each color is available on either materials. I prefer the darker colors, but Apple, just being Apple, put all the darker colors as the more expensive leather. Oh typical :apple:

still can't believe theyre charging $70 for any of the good colors. $40 is pushing it for a smart cover, but $70 is ridiculous

joltaxt
Mar 8, 2011, 01:53 AM
I think if you're really that concerned about the $70 price tag, I'm sure you can wait awhile for third part "smart covers." Not sure if there are patent issues, but I wouldn't be surprised to see third party ones come out only to create a lot of buyers remorse here.:)

RadicalxEdward
Mar 8, 2011, 08:48 AM
This will be my first iPad and I'm really interested in the smart covers. I always hated how much bulk cases added to ipads and think the cover is great for someone like me. I think i've dropped my iPhone 3g, once possibly twice since i've owned it (with no resulting damage) and have never dropped any of my other electronics. So I'm not really worried about having a suit of armor on my iPad. I'm DEFINITELY getting an invisible shield from zagg for the front and back cause I HATE scratches and would love to be able to sell the ipad next year towards ipad 3 (really wanted a retina display on this model)

Few things I'm hoping:

1. I'm hoping the smart cover still works properly with an invisible shield installed.

2. I'm hoping the smart covers fold flat to the back properly since my only real use for it is as a stand/sleep-wake item

3. I'm hoping a third party manufacturer makes a decent copy of apples. The only real color choices are the leather ones and 70 for a flap with a magnet on it seems really outrageous.

As for which color I'd get (with a white iPad, though still not 100% sure) is TAN. I'm amazed no one else likes it. There's a part in the promo video where a guy is playing guitar and has his white iPad on a wood coffee table with the tan case and I was sold right there. I think it looks GREAT. Second option would be red/black for resale value, but I think black cover with white ipad would look weird. I can handle the red pad jokes.

Sodner
Mar 8, 2011, 08:52 AM
Damn. Might have more trouble getting a black leather smart cover than the iPad 2.

darkhost
Mar 8, 2011, 09:29 AM
Although the Smart Cover is very neat and intuitive, I don't think it's worth the money. It only protects the screen!! I am a stickler when it comes to protecting my gear, and this gets a BIG THUMBS DOWN from me. Apple had it right when they created the first cover for the 1st Gen iPad.

jedolley
Mar 8, 2011, 10:14 AM
Although the Smart Cover is very neat and intuitive, I don't think it's worth the money. It only protects the screen!! I am a stickler when it comes to protecting my gear, and this gets a BIG THUMBS DOWN from me. Apple had it right when they created the first cover for the 1st Gen iPad.

Accessories, especially cases are a very personal thing because not everyone uses their device the same way. Personally, I know it took me several cases to figure out the way I like to use my iPad and which type of case would work with that. I also had the same problem with the Kindle.

For the first iPad I ended up using the Grip Vue and nothing else. It was more for the added grip than anything else. Since the Smartcover is for the screen only, it doesn't really work for me either.

With the said, I may pick one up at launch to try it out and return it if I decide not to keep it. With the new iPad being thinner, I may prefer just a skin on the back for protection and in that case the Smartcover isn't such a bad idea. So, from experience I probably won't be using it, but won't know for sure until I get the new iPad in my hands.

As for color, since I would probably get the non-leather version, I would probably go for gray.

stev3n
Mar 8, 2011, 11:29 AM
I would go with the Leather (PRODUCT) Red cover.

RadicalxEdward
Mar 8, 2011, 09:47 PM
I'm wondering how cheap the leather is though. Going by the hands on videos people have done from after the apple event many of them couldn't tell whether it was leather or plastic without asking.

shakeman0
Mar 9, 2011, 07:11 AM
I think I'm going to end up going polyurethane gray. I was thinking about red leather, but I can actually get an iPad 2 Gelaskin for the difference. Plus, it's probably no big deal, but there is an asterisk at the bottom of the Smart Cover page on Apple.com about the leather cover eventually losing its color.

*The leather Smart Cover is crafted from high-quality, naturally treated material that gets its color from a rich aniline dye. Some color may rub off during use.

Near the bottom of the page. Above the compatibility.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC942?mco=MjEzNTMwMzk

RadicalxEdward
Mar 9, 2011, 07:15 AM
I think I'm going to end up going polyurethane gray. I was thinking about red leather, but you could almost get another case for the price difference. Plus, it's probably no big deal, but there is an asterisk at the bottom of the Smart Cover page on Apple.com about the leather cover eventually losing its color.

Near the bottom of the page. Above the compatibility.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC942?mco=MjEzNTMwMzk

I don't think it's going to end up looking weird by losing it's color. all leather is like that. It's what adds the leather like characteristics over time. That's why worn leather looks so good. but with thin stuff like this who knows how it will look.

I was actually thinking of getting the poly grey and just adding a layer of suede or something to it. it's thin enough that it shouldn't effect anything, cheaper than the leather ones and it's suede lol.

Willie5566
Mar 9, 2011, 09:28 AM
Need to add an option for not getting a smart cover. I would be curious to see who goes that route. I am leaning that way at the moment.

darngooddesign
Mar 9, 2011, 09:40 AM
White and orange matches one of my motorcycles so that's what I'm getting.

http://www.darngooddesign.com/stuph/missK.jpg

Mad Mac Maniac
Mar 9, 2011, 09:55 AM
If free my order of preferece is as follows. I divided them in 3 categories, first being ones I like, then ones I think are ok, then ones I dislike.

Creme- I think it would look very classy and clean
Black- never can go wrong with black. Very good look
Red- To give it some ZING to really stand out
Navy(or is it dark grey?)- also a nice classy look

Tan/grey poly - about equal. these are both just "ok"

green- This is the top of the "crappy" heap because green is my fav color.
blue- looks cheapish
orange- not my style
pink- really?

But of course everything is liable to change when I see in person. Plus I don't even know if I would buy one of these things, CERTAINLY not for 80 bucks! So that leaves me with grey...

GSF
Mar 9, 2011, 10:51 AM
I would get the grey or the blue polyurethane smart cover for my new white 64GB Wi-Fi iPad!

ArcAngel66
Mar 9, 2011, 11:50 AM
The Cream/Tan/Black all look very classy. I'm surprised nobody has really said Cream yet - I'm thinking it will be one of those "in the store it looks nice" kind of things. Then again, it might just look like dirty white.

I think I might get the orange poly first. It's cheaper, and I wont be down $70 if I don't like it.

Then again, I'll most likely just get the black leather one... I'm boring like that when it comes to Apple products. I've only ever gotten Orange or Black - too risky to spend $200+ and not like the color.

drewc1138
Mar 9, 2011, 12:52 PM
1. Red
2. Black
3. Gray

I want to see them in person first. Hope they'll be available at Target as well.

JoJoCal19
Mar 9, 2011, 01:31 PM
The Cream/Tan/Black all look very classy. I'm surprised nobody has really said Cream yet - I'm thinking it will be one of those "in the store it looks nice" kind of things. Then again, it might just look like dirty white.

I think I might get the orange poly first. It's cheaper, and I wont be down $70 if I don't like it.

Then again, I'll most likely just get the black leather one... I'm boring like that when it comes to Apple products. I've only ever gotten Orange or Black - too risky to spend $200+ and not like the color.

I said earlier in the thread the Tan/Black combo is super classy. I can't wait to see the tan leather one in person. I agree with you though, the cream is classy too. If I get a second cover it will be cream and maybe a grey one too.

me2000
Mar 9, 2011, 10:09 PM
White + Red I think is the best combo...

Mad Mac Maniac
Mar 9, 2011, 10:40 PM
If free my order of preferece is as follows. I divided them in 3 categories, first being ones I like, then ones I think are ok, then ones I dislike.

Creme- I think it would look very classy and clean
Black- never can go wrong with black. Very good look
Red- To give it some ZING to really stand out
Navy(or is it dark grey?)- also a nice classy look

Tan/grey poly - about equal. these are both just "ok"

green- This is the top of the "crappy" heap because green is my fav color.
blue- looks cheapish
orange- not my style
pink- really?

But of course everything is liable to change when I see in person. Plus I don't even know if I would buy one of these things, CERTAINLY not for 80 bucks! So that leaves me with grey...

ok so I have seen a picture of the grey poly smart cover and it looks pretty ugly to me... I think I will have to rerank my poly colors. I would definitely rather have blue or green than that. They would at least at a little cheer.

But overall I think these smart covers are way too expensive. They should be $19/$39... not $39/$79. If they were $39 I'd get a leather one for sure. But I'm not planning on getting any at all right now. I may be convinced to get a poly one in a few weeks if I really like the look and there's nothing out better

JoJoCal19
Mar 10, 2011, 07:01 AM
ok so I have seen a picture of the grey poly smart cover and it looks pretty ugly to me... I think I will have to rerank my poly colors. I would definitely rather have blue or green than that. They would at least at a little cheer.

But overall I think these smart covers are way too expensive. They should be $19/$39... not $39/$79. If they were $39 I'd get a leather one for sure. But I'm not planning on getting any at all right now. I may be convinced to get a poly one in a few weeks if I really like the look and there's nothing out better

I agree the $69 is a bit hard to swallow for a leather flap but I prefer the smart cover to any other solution and I'd rather have a leather cover so I guess I'm stuck with that, but, if they leather cover is super nice quality then I wont mind it.

Annerz
Mar 10, 2011, 05:34 PM
the cream color is nice.

Doctor Q
Mar 11, 2011, 04:03 PM
We'll have to see what Smart Cover clones appear in the market, by other vendors who charge less and offer more colors and patterns.

Doctor Q
Mar 11, 2011, 07:14 PM
Cross-references to other threads:
Photos of white iPad 2 with red cover

Another poll of color combinations

AlphaDogg
Mar 13, 2011, 01:29 AM
Here is a picture of the white iPad 2 next to all of the polyurethane Smart Covers. This might help people choose.

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx1/igesundheit/image-5.jpg

Brien
Mar 13, 2011, 01:32 AM
Ended up getting green after all. I'd have LOVED a black leather one + white iPad 2, but all these reports of the leather just not holding up and dye rubbing off sorta made the decision for me. It also helped that the green one was $30 cheaper. ;)

Bootnut
Apr 14, 2011, 09:47 AM
Orange if it ever comes in the post!

I really wanted a yellow one, but they don't make them :( so I picked orange, green was a close second

Jamie37211
Apr 14, 2011, 10:33 AM
I wish there was a really rich dark brown leather Smart Cover option.

With the tan smartcover, you can actually use leather oil to "dye" it a darker richer brown. I've done this, and it looks fantastic. There's a thread about it around here somewhere - title was something like "iPad 2 smart cover color thread". It's buried a few pages back at the moment.

I am not the first to do this - just followed the lead of someone that posted in the thread mentioned above, using the same product he used to dye it - but I should not be the last. It looks too nice not to do it.

Jamie37211
Apr 14, 2011, 10:42 AM
Here's a pic of the tan leather smart cover dyed brown. Sorry for the quality - taken on iPhone camera under flourescents. It's a bit deeper brown than the pic shows, and I wanted it to have a much more worn look.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5143/5619534056_ed8677c510.jpg

mcsc123
Apr 24, 2011, 06:19 PM

does it look girly? i love orange but if it looks gay then idk... :?

christophermdia
Apr 24, 2011, 09:28 PM
I wanted black leather picked it up and then when I got home realized it was navy....in the package it looks so dark but the navy comes through real good when its out the package and on the ipad, its grown on me though, too lazy to return it, and now I prefer it to the black one...

Jaro65
Apr 25, 2011, 12:11 AM
Black leather. But I'm having second thoughts about the Smart Cover. I may end up returning it and getting a full case instead.

Doctor Q
Oct 24, 2011, 03:17 PM
News story: Apple Updates iPad 2 Smart Cover Offerings with Color Tweaks (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/24/apple-updates-ipad-2-smart-cover-offerings-with-color-tweaks/)

Apple dropped Polyurethane: Orange and added Polyurethane: Dark Gray. The poll choices have been updated.

wrinkster22
Oct 24, 2011, 03:34 PM
waa :( no more orange

glen e
Oct 24, 2011, 04:24 PM
I've got about 15 cases/covers and still keep coming back to this for everyday:

grey poly with icarbon stripes and Zum back:
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/gersly123/62696aba.jpg

Dhelsdon
Oct 24, 2011, 05:07 PM
does it look girly? i love orange but if it looks gay then idk... :?

It looks really good, I've got Orange on my iPad2 I'll post a pic if your interested!

timiliwang
Oct 24, 2011, 10:06 PM
Suppose you had an iPad 2 and were getting a free Smart Cover. Which material and color would you pick?
Pink is my favourite color as well as my sister.:)