PDA

View Full Version : Possible upgrade for ibook

heartsglory
Feb 16, 2005, 10:48 AM
Question for everyone: Is it possible to take a logic board from a g4 ibook and install it into an older g3 ibook? I know that the keyboard will have to be replaced, but I was wondering if it's possible.

me_94501
Feb 16, 2005, 11:28 PM
Question for everyone: Is it possible to take a logic board from a g4 ibook and install it into an older g3 ibook? I know that the keyboard will have to be replaced, but I was wondering if it's possible.
Uhm, maybe. The cases are identical in size and port configuration, so that shouldn't be a problem, but there may be other factors to consider that I'm not aware of.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to know?

heartsglory
Feb 17, 2005, 03:28 PM
I have an ibook g3 800 that I bought from ebay. It's a great laptop! I've never had any problems out of it at all. It is just a little slow (yes, I've maxed out the ram). I wanted to see if I could upgrade the laptop to a g4 by swapping out logic boards. I really wanted the speed increase of a g4 and the better graphics of the Radeon 9200 instead of this 7500 (4x agp vs 2x agp). If it is possible to upgrade my ibook to a g4 that would be GREAT! :D

cyanide
Feb 17, 2005, 03:44 PM
You know, that would be quite the feat if you managed to do it. i know i have seen g4 logic boards on ebay for dirt cheap. you really might be able to do this.. the only problem i could forsee would be the way the logic board is mounted in the case. i know the cases appear to be exactly the same, but is that similarity only skin deep? try it and let us know! (btw, what size screen would this iBook be?)

heartsglory
Feb 17, 2005, 04:02 PM
The screen size would be 12.1". It'll be a really cool project! :D But, I don't when I'll be able to do it yet. I just have to find a WORKING cheap logic board from ebay. The one's I've seen have no video output or no boot chime. :(
Well, anyone else who has some more ideas feel free to respond!
Thanks!