PDA

View Full Version : Shuffle Battery Life?

GMGQ
Feb 16, 2005, 11:22 AM
I'm a newbie to the world of iPods (let alone the fact that this is my first Macintosh product ever). I love my shuffle, no doubt about it.

But what's with all the disclaimers about the battery having a limited life cycle?? And Apple's webpage dedicated to it?

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

So I shouldn't leave the shuffle plugged in? I should keep using it until it's really low, THEN charge it?

Knowing that the battery is technically irreplaceable, this has me somewhat concerned. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Solafaa
Feb 16, 2005, 11:25 AM
I charge mine till its full the listen to for a few day since i dont listen to music 24/7 then charge it again. I did not bother and it has not effected me so far.

abhishekit
Feb 16, 2005, 11:40 AM
I'm a newbie to the world of iPods (let alone the fact that this is my first Macintosh product ever). I love my shuffle, no doubt about it.

But what's with all the disclaimers about the battery having a limited life cycle?? And Apple's webpage dedicated to it?

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

So I shouldn't leave the shuffle plugged in? I should keep using it until it's really low, THEN charge it?

Knowing that the battery is technically irreplaceable, this has me somewhat concerned. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You shouldn't worry about plugging it in everyday. One charge cycle would be complete only when you have discharged it fully and recharged. So suppose you use 10% of battery each day and then recharge it every night. So it would take 10 days for you to complete one charge cycle.

cheers

jxyama
Feb 16, 2005, 11:42 AM
Li ion/polymer batteries all have naturally decaying capacity. my understanding is that every time you charge it, it loses a little bit of its capacity. but in general, this fact is way overblown. if you use it "normally" it will last years - those notices are there mostly to inform the consumers of potential downfall and also to protect against lawsuits.

just in my personal experience, the battery in my 12" PB that's two years old has gone from nearly 4 and a half hours to a little over 3 hours. yes, that's 33% reduction in capacity, but it's still well within useful range and this is after two years of constant, daily use.

if you get the shuffle and start using it, you won't really find yourself wasting time worrying about the battery. i know this isn't the best attitude, but by the time battery needs replacing, there probably will be better and greater things you'll want instead.

Bibulous
Feb 16, 2005, 12:41 PM
by the time battery needs replacing, there probably will be better and greater things you'll want instead.

I agree, while I like to plan to use a computer for 3+ years, the shuffle has to be the most disposable product apple has ever released. I can see myself buying a new version (currently have a 1gb) every year or so till the whole concept is replaced. I say charge it when ever you can and let whoever you sell it to on ebay worry about the battery.