Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RebootD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
NW Indiana
I tried this elsewhere I didn't get a single response so I am posting here.

I've always wanted to rip my DVD collection so I stream it from my Mac to my xbox 360 but I've run into some odd issues (using Connect360). Mainly the video quality using Handbrake/Normal/Anamorphic Strict looks fantastic but stutters when panning in the film. I've tried Normal, High Profile and even made my own forcing it to encode 640x348, used filters and without and it's always the same issue.

I've also tried MedliaLink for my PS3 which doesn't have the odd pan/stutter but because it's got the old G wifi the streaming quality is horrible. Plus I love that the xbox can see chapters and ff/rw.

Has anyone else had this issue or know what settings work best? I am at my wits end.:confused:

rhkamra

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2007
California
Had the same stutter issue with handbrake during pans. Never found a solution for that one.

My current workflow uses makemkv instead, this basically puts a mkv wrapper around the dvd feature title, which results in larger file size, but higher quality and less ripping time.

But, I am playing these from a Samsung BluRay player which supports several video formats, not sure if this will work for your streaming xbox situation.

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
The normal preset works fine. I have found out that the xbox360 does not like VBR (variable frame rate) files that handbrake outputs when using original frame selected. It plays them back choppy on and off. Whats weird is that some encodes do not have that stutter. beats me. But if you select a CFR like 23.97 (NTSC Film) or 25 FPS (PAL Film), the video is not choppy.

RebootD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
NW Indiana
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

rhkamra said:
Had the same stutter issue with handbrake during pans. Never found a solution for that one.

My current workflow uses makemkv instead, this basically puts a mkv wrapper around the dvd feature title, which results in larger file size, but higher quality and less ripping time.

But, I am playing these from a Samsung BluRay player which supports several video formats, not sure if this will work for your streaming xbox situation.

I would use mkv but the xbox doesn't play them. What is even stranger is they play back locally on my ps3.

RebootD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
NW Indiana
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

lostless said:
The normal preset works fine. I have found out that the xbox360 does not like VBR (variable frame rate) files that handbrake outputs when using original frame selected. It plays them back choppy on and off. Whats weird is that some encodes do not have that stutter. beats me. But if you select a CFR like 23.97 (NTSC Film) or 25 FPS (PAL Film), the video is not choppy.

Wow thanks guys for replying, I was going crazy trying every setting I could think of. Also do you use any of the video filters? Or do you find them to just make it worse?

Bluray rips work just fine, maybe that's the one thing I haven't tried yet.

Last edited:

RebootD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
NW Indiana

Oh happy day! Setting the encode for 23.96 did the trick for gladiator and LotR dvds! I seriously tried everything but that, so thanks!

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
i recommend turning on decomb and detelecine. It will clean up any residual interlaced frames from poorly mastered DVDs (for film based sources only). And dont think newer movies are any good. With the advent of Bluray, Hollywood has gotten lazy with DVD encodings. Sherlock Holmes, with Robert downing Jr, has 2 quick parts that last nearly 2 seconds each that dont have the proper interlaced flags and switch to 30FPS with 3:2 pulldown. Turned those 2 filters on and came out nice. Other newer movies i've have a bad flag at chapter breaks. So 1 frame has combing artifacts. Those 2 filters don't touch the video unless in senses it needs to.

RebootD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
NW Indiana
i recommend turning on decomb and detelecine.

I re-encoded Fight Club SE on DVD using the 23.976 + filters and it is playing back just fine. Thanks again for the advice! Now I just need to work on converting my old HD-DVDs (Yes, I was one of those people too)

ycire

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2011
360 streaming

You may convert any File such as mkv,m2ts or any High Def format to m4v by using handbrake using high profile and setting to mp4 the file extension should be automatic as m4v this will work flawless but you have to get Connect360 is the same company who made the mediadlink for PS3 it's Nullriver, Inc. this will solve your problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.